What explains Pats' willingness to pay Branch $6m per year now as opposed to before?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Patsman2. Show Patsman2's posts

Re: What explains Pats' willingness to pay Branch $6m per year now as opposed to before?

My first intial response would be because there is no salary cap this year and if they want they can dump him after the year as the last year is not guarenteed.  They couldnt fit him under the cap at that price back in 2006.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsFanGermany. Show PatsFanGermany's posts

Re: What explains Pats' willingness to pay Branch $6m per year now as opposed to before?

I think it has more to do with the Pats not giving in when a player cries.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

In 2006 they didn't want to make a long-term commitment to Branch at that price. Now, they're making a short-term commitment.  Plus, there's no signing bonus here, I don't think.  He's just getting his yearly salary.  Do we know what that salary is?  Sometimes they report contracts as $6 million a year, but really most of the money is paid upfront in bonus.  Is Branch actually collecting $6 million this year or was he already paid a portion of that through his signing bonus in 2006?

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from sml1210. Show sml1210's posts

In Response to What explains Pats' willingness to pay Branch $6m per year now as opposed to before?:
    Pats will pay Branch about $5.5m in 2010 and another $6m in 2011. Pats were not willing to pay Brach $6m per year in 2006. Why? Seahawks signed him to 6 years for $39m, $6.5m per year. Instead we endured a year of Caldwell as our top receiver (oh the horror!). Basically either $6.5m per year was not too much then or $6m per year is too much now, they can't both be true. And we gave Moss $9.5m per year. BTW we pay Welker $3.5m per year for reference. Welker signed a 5 year $18.1m contract before we signed him (Welker's 3 yr performance = 2x Pro Bowls, 2x NFL reception leader, 3x Team reception leader, 2x All Pro Selection) So what's going on here?
    Posted by murghkhor

They're not. They're paying him less than $4 million for the rest of this year, and nothing next year unless he renegotiates.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from antibody. Show antibody's posts

My vote is: I don't care. It's not my money.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from m1024us. Show m1024us's posts

Over the first four years of that deal, Branch made more than $13 million in base salary, according to the database of the NFL Players Association. That was in addition to an upfront bonus believed to be as high as $7 million.

This is what Branch got from Seattle.....

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Tcal2. Show Tcal2's posts

Bad decision that cost us a super bowl.  Feel better?  Now move on.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from m1024us. Show m1024us's posts

In Response to Re: What explains Pats' willingness to pay Branch $6m per year now as opposed to before?:
    In Response to Re: What explains Pats' willingness to pay Branch $6m per year now as opposed to before? : Your $13m and $7m totals 20. He's got $12m left on his 6 years $39m deal, so he must have been paid $27m to date, not $20m.
    Posted by murghkhor

an article from 2006:

Branch will receive $13 million in a bonus and other guarantees, according to a person in the league close to the negotiations who requested anonymity because the terms had not yet been announced. About $23 million is due to Branch over the first three years of the deal, likely making him a fixture in Seattle's currently crowded passing game.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Brady2Moss07. Show Brady2Moss07's posts

I think this will be restructured, wouldnt you think?

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsFanGermany. Show PatsFanGermany's posts

Great question

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from TFB12. Show TFB12's posts

How about "I have no idea what they are thinking" as an answer.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from sml1210. Show sml1210's posts

In Response to Re: What explains Pats' willingness to pay Branch $6m per year now as opposed to before?:
    In Response to Re: What explains Pats' willingness to pay Branch $6m per year now as opposed to before? : And what are you basing this information on? Branch was due $5.5m this year. With 12 weeks remaining of the 17 week season, that's 12/17 x 5.5 = $3.9m. So yeah they'll pay him $4m for the rest of the year but that basically means he has a $5.5m salary. He gets only $4m but playing only 3/4 of this season. And next year he's due $6m. And I don't see any renegotiations stated anywhere. He will need to massively underperform for us to release him.
    Posted by murghkhor

And what in the world makes you think they'll spend $6m on a 32 year old WR NOT NAMED MOSS? Cite one other instance of that ever occuring. It's called cutting a player whose salary is not guaranteed. Look into it.

Good thing you're not in the front office.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from zbellino. Show zbellino's posts

INFLATION! LOL.

Seriously though. The NFL franchise tag in 2010 for WR is just a hair underneath $10 million per season.

In 2006 it was just a hair over six million.

By today's standards DB's salary is for a solid WR. By 2006 standards it was for an elite WR. 

Also of note, New England isn't lashed to the lump of guaranteed dollars that Seattle was, which (in the end) was likely as much a deal breaker for a barter with a WR who has/had nagging injuries. 

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from carawaydj. Show carawaydj's posts

Still a good move by the Pats to not sign him back then.  How many games did he play in Seattle?  He's the Bob Sanders of receivers...good when he plays, but injured too often.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from NY-PATS-FAN4. Show NY-PATS-FAN4's posts

In Response to What explains Pats' willingness to pay Branch $6m per year now as opposed to before?:
    [QUOTE]

It's called inflation.

And it's much bigger in sports than in the rest of the economy.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from bombdog. Show bombdog's posts

A big part of getting rid of Moss is that Pats will use that money to extend Welker,either during the season or after the season.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from m1024us. Show m1024us's posts

In Response to Re: What explains Pats' willingness to pay Branch $6m per year now as opposed to before? : If they are willing to pay him $6m a year THIS year ON TOP OF A 4th round pick, what makes you think they won't pay him $6m next year as well without having to spend a draft pick.
    Posted by murghkhor

They are not paying him 6 million this year......

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Getzo. Show Getzo's posts

Pat's willingness now???? Simple.  There is a 99.9% chance this contract will be restructured for year 2 and beyond... so paying $6 mill for one year, even if that stands which I don't think it will, is not the same as over 5 years as Seattle gave him. 

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from tagandtrade. Show tagandtrade's posts

My first intial response would be because there is no salary cap this year and if they want they can dump him after the year as the last year is not guarenteed.  They couldnt fit him under the cap at that price back in 2006.
    Posted by Patsman2

Do You read

Branch is restructuring or he is CUT

He has a two year deal that is not guaranteed he could get cut tomorrow

he said this morning he wants to restructure

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from KyleCleric2. Show KyleCleric2's posts

Reiss-

FOXBOROUGH, Mass. -- Patriots receiver Deion Branch said he is willing to re-work his contract now that he's joined the team, which was likely a key consideration in New England striking the trade.

Branch is earning a base salary of $5.47 million this season and is due $5.95 million in 2011.

"There are a couple things that are probably going to be talked about," Branch said Tuesday after practice. "There will be dealings between my agent and the organization, but I'm willing to make things work."

This adds more context to the Patriots' decision to acquire Branch, and also increases the likelihood that Branch will be part of the team's plans in 2011 and perhaps beyond.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from tartarus12. Show tartarus12's posts

Reiss- FOXBOROUGH, Mass. -- Patriots receiver Deion Branch said he is willing to re-work his contract now that he's joined the team, which was likely a key consideration in New England striking the trade. Branch is earning a base salary of $5.47 million this season and is due $5.95 million in 2011. "There are a couple things that are probably going to be talked about," Branch said Tuesday after practice. "There will be dealings between my agent and the organization, but I'm willing to make things work." This adds more context to the Patriots' decision to acquire Branch, and also increases the likelihood that Branch will be part of the team's plans in 2011 and perhaps beyond.
    Posted by KyleCleric2

Based in this report, if the Pats had no intention of restructuring his contract, they certainly do now.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from garytx. Show garytx's posts

Thanks for the explanation Kyle.  murghkhor brought up something that I hadn't thought about and it rang true to me.  Had me scratching my head.  It didn't make any sense.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Grogan77. Show Grogan77's posts

In Response to Re: What explains Pats' willingness to pay Branch $6m per year now as opposed to before? : They are not paying him 6 million this year......
    Posted by m1024us

Wrong, I know more.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from crono420. Show crono420's posts

I think all you people are nuts. Getting rid of Moss was a stupid move. All this drama should have been avoided. Now we have Branch at 6 mill a year. This isn't 05 folks. Grrrrrreeeeeeeattt

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from trouts. Show trouts's posts

If this is what it takes to make Brady happy, I'm all for it!

Sections
Shortcuts