What football great wanted to box Muhammad Ali?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from mrmojo1120. Show mrmojo1120's posts

What football great wanted to box Muhammad Ali?

From yahoo.com:

Sports Illustrated's Chris Mannix wrote a wonderful profile of Top Rank chairman Bob Arum, who will turn 81 on Saturday. That's the same day that Arum promotes the fourth fight between Manny Pacquiao and Juan Manuel Marquez, one that is expected to generate at least 1 million pay-per-view sales.

Mannix's rollicking piece is filled with anecdotes from Arum's 46 years as one of boxing's leading promoters.

Jimmy Brown retired as the NFL's all-time leading rusher (AP file photo)The best, though, details the time that NFL great Jimmy Brown decided he wanted to fight then-heavyweight champion Muhammad Ali.

Brown is one of the greatest players in NFL history and is regarded by many as the finest athlete of the 20th century. In addition to being a dominant NFL player, Brown is also arguably the best lacrosse player who ever lived.

He also had a legendary reputation for his toughness. Given that Brown had introduced Arum to Ali, it was hard for Arum to say no without at least checking. Brown figured it was a slam dunk massive payday.

Brown had retired from the Cleveland Browns after the 1965 season, while Arum began promoting in 1966. Ali was the heavyweight champion and entering his prime, while Brown was becoming an actor. Arum felt indebted to Brown, so he decided to see if he could convince Ali of the merits of the idea.

So I went to talk to Ali. He says, 'Jim wants to do what? Bring him here.' So I took him to Hyde Park in London, where Ali used to run. Ali said, 'Jimmy, here's what we're going to do: You hit me as hard as you can.' So Brown starts swinging and swinging, and he can't hit him. He's swinging wildly and not even coming close. This goes on for, like, 30 seconds. Then Ali hits him with this quick one-two to his face. Jimmy just stops and says, 'OK, I get the point.'

Brown was far superior to Ali as an athlete and probably could have beaten him at any game they might have played. In boxing, though, not even the great Jim Brown was in Ali's classic.

Mannix's piece is meticulously researched and marvelously written and well worth checking out.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat. Show TexasPat's posts

Re: What football great wanted to box Muhammad Ali?

Denver Broncos' DE Lyle Alzado actually fought Ali in an exhibition bout, on July 14, 1979:  http://blog.denverbroncos.com/jsaccomano/remember-when-alzado-vs-ali/

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from cellucci. Show cellucci's posts

ed too tall jones?

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from krismk. Show krismk's posts

A good story from the sweet science

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from TFB12. Show TFB12's posts

Any football great would have looked foolish against Ali. 

No doubt Jim Brown was a tough dude on the field but doesn't mean he was when it was time to throw down in the ring.

BTW, anyone ever listen to Jim Brown do some of the PPV announcing when the Ultimate Fighting Championship first started?  Man, he was horrible.

I was just a small child when I seen Ed too tall Jones fight his first fight, he looked terrible.  I think he fought a total of 5 or 6 fights times winning all of them.

Don't forget about Mark Gastineau who tried his hand at boxing.  He fought terrible also but I think he had a 15-0 record.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat. Show TexasPat's posts

In response to cellucci's comment:

ed too tall jones?

Never fought Ali. Fought a short guy named Yaquii Menesis, who fouled Too-Tall with a push> After Too Tall fell to his knees, the much smaller Yaqui tagged him on the jaw in frustration, knocking Too Tall silly:  http://boxrec.com/list_bouts.php?human_id=033709&cat=boxer; and:

Nationally televised. A former Dallas Cowboy in the boxing ring. The Pan American Center filled with anticipation.

That was the scene when Ed "Too Tall" Jones made his debut in the ring versus Mexican heavyweight Jesus "Yaqui" Meneses on Nov. 12, 1979. The 6-foot-9, 255-pound Jones, who played for the Cowboys for five seasons, was harrassed by the 7,500 fans in attendance, who wanted to see Meneses win on CBS television. In the end, the fight ended in controversy, and Jones as the victor.

Meneses was the aggressor in the last three rounds of the bout, knocking Jones to the canvas in the final round. According the Meneses' manager, James Montoya, Jones should have been disqualified when his trainer, Murphy Griffith, gave the fighter smelling salts while Jones was on the ground, behind the back of referee Buddy Basilico.

"That's illegal as hell," Montoya said following the fight.

Jones' supporters said that Meneses used an illegal punch, hitting Jones after he had been shoved to the mat. No foul was called on Meneses.

Basilico said that it was all for naught — since both fighters were guilty of wrongdoing.

"I didn't really think Meneses hit him that hard with the second punch so I didn't call a foul," the ref said. "After looking at the replay, I wasn't so sure."

When all was said and done, Jones was ruled the winner. Basilico called a draw at 57-57, while the two judges ruled in "Too Tall's" favor, 58-55 and 57-56

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from makonikyman. Show makonikyman's posts

In response to TexasPat's comment:

In response to cellucci's comment:

ed too tall jones?

Never fought Ali. Fought a short guy named Yaquii Menesis, who fouled Too-Tall with a push> After Too Tall fell to his knees, the much smaller Yaqui tagged him on the jaw in frustration, knocking Too Tall silly:  http://boxrec.com/list_bouts.php?human_id=033709&cat=boxer; and:

Nationally televised. A former Dallas Cowboy in the boxing ring. The Pan American Center filled with anticipation.

That was the scene when Ed "Too Tall" Jones made his debut in the ring versus Mexican heavyweight Jesus "Yaqui" Meneses on Nov. 12, 1979. The 6-foot-9, 255-pound Jones, who played for the Cowboys for five seasons, was harrassed by the 7,500 fans in attendance, who wanted to see Meneses win on CBS television. In the end, the fight ended in controversy, and Jones as the victor.

Meneses was the aggressor in the last three rounds of the bout, knocking Jones to the canvas in the final round. According the Meneses' manager, James Montoya, Jones should have been disqualified when his trainer, Murphy Griffith, gave the fighter smelling salts while Jones was on the ground, behind the back of referee Buddy Basilico.

"That's illegal as hell," Montoya said following the fight.

Jones' supporters said that Meneses used an illegal punch, hitting Jones after he had been shoved to the mat. No foul was called on Meneses.

Basilico said that it was all for naught — since both fighters were guilty of wrongdoing.

"I didn't really think Meneses hit him that hard with the second punch so I didn't call a foul," the ref said. "After looking at the replay, I wasn't so sure."

When all was said and done, Jones was ruled the winner. Basilico called a draw at 57-57, while the two judges ruled in "Too Tall's" favor, 58-55 and 57-56

I was at the fight...it was crazy....of course, I don't really remember how it all went or how I got home.. Those were crazy times to say the least....omg

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from TFB12. Show TFB12's posts

In response to makonikyman's comment:

I was at the fight...it was crazy....of course, I don't really remember how it all went or how I got home.. Those were crazy times to say the least....omg

I remember seeing Too Tall jones get tagged, went to his knees in the corner and the little guy he was fighting was standing in front of him and they were the same heighth, lol!

Sections
Shortcuts