What happened to all the Dink lovers?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from tcal2-. Show tcal2-'s posts

What happened to all the Dink lovers?

I see no one talking about that waste of a roster spot.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from 49Patriots. Show 49Patriots's posts

Re: What happened to all the Dink lovers?

Aren't you one of them?

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from pcmIV. Show pcmIV's posts

In response to tcal2-'s comment:

I see no one talking about that waste of a roster spot.

Ninkovich is a much better player than a lot of guys on NFL rosters.  He's never going to be a superstar, but he is solid and has made some clutch plays for this team.  Maybe nobody talks about him because the fact that he has a roster spot isn't controversial?

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from carawaydj. Show carawaydj's posts

In response to pcmIV's comment:

In response to tcal2-'s comment:

Ninkovich is a much better player than a lot of guys on NFL rosters.  He's never going to be a superstar, but he is solid and has made some clutch plays for this team.  Maybe nobody talks about him because the fact that he has a roster spot isn't controversial?

+1

Can't believe anyone thinks he doesn't deserve a roster spot.  That's preposterous.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from zbellino. Show zbellino's posts

Waste of a roster spot? That's a harsh statement and completely out of line with the expectations you should have for a player. 

He isn't a great player at all, but as a third option at OLB/DE, I'd take him in a second. The problem is he emblemizes the quality depth NE's defense *used to* have behind its starters. Now those players too frequently are the starters. 

Early in the decade NE didn't have starters with glaring holes in their game: Chung's inability to play deep. Arrington's inability to play outside. Spike's inability to play any many coverage at all. Love et als inability to generate any real pressure. 

Sure Harrison was a box guy but until his second to last season he was perfectly fine over the top. Sure Hobbs was probably better suited as a slot, but he wasn't getting roasted the way Arrington/Butler, et al did. Yeah, Johnson couldn't really man up, but it didn't matter because everyone else could. Yeah, Warren wasn't the best pass rusher, but he could get all over someone if they doubled off Washington and Seymour on the early downs.

The end result is that NE is constantly trying to switch between different packages of players for different situations, or using exchanges to mask things. 

The last few seasons there are too many pawns and not enough knights.

It's trending up though ... as they finally have continuity in the secondary between two seasons, Jones looks like a step forward, they didn't stop addressing pass rush either adding Collins.   

Hopefully Collins makes him a sub. Where I'd gladly see the guy finish his career. 

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

In response to zbellino's comment:

Waste of a roster spot? That's a harsh statement and completely out of line with the expectations you should have for a player. 

He isn't a great player at all, but as a third option at OLB/DE, I'd take him in a second. The problem is he emblemizes the quality depth NE's defense *used to* have behind its starters. Now those players too frequently are the starters. 

Early in the decade NE didn't have starters with glaring holes in their game: Chung's inability to play deep. Arrington's inability to play outside. Spike's inability to play any many coverage at all. Love et als inability to generate any real pressure. 

Sure Harrison was a box guy but until his second to last season he was perfectly fine over the top. Sure Hobbs was probably better suited as a slot, but he wasn't getting roasted the way Arrington/Butler, et al did. Yeah, Johnson couldn't really man up, but it didn't matter because everyone else could. Yeah, Warren wasn't the best pass rusher, but he could get all over someone if they doubled off Washington and Seymour on the early downs.

The end result is that NE is constantly trying to switch between different packages of players for different situations, or using exchanges to mask things. 

It's trending up though ... as they finally have continuity in the secondary between two seasons, Jones looks like a step forward, they didn't stop addressing pass rush either adding Collins.   

Hopefully Collins makes him a sub. Where I'd gladly see the guy finish his career. 

Absolutely perfect post. I would add however that the stength in previous defenses we had (the defensive line) is a major question mark heading into the season. Now Armstead may be the real deal and we just don't know it yet...and Kelly may give us what a guy like Seymore used too, but those are real concerns/questions heading into camp. We don't have many big defensive tackles outside of those two to help Vince - there has been some talk that Belichick really likes Forston, but it's not like we can roll out three first rounders anymore.

Of course if Jones makes a huge second year jump none of it will really matter.  

7. This post has been removed.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from CablesWyndBairn. Show CablesWyndBairn's posts

And Mayo scuks too, right?  C'mon TCal, I think you dislike players that most feel are key contributors on purpose.  Starting to confuse your posts with that Communist toss who throws anything and everything out there for "look at me" effect.   Nink and Mayo represent stability and professionalism, how can you not see that?

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from portfolio1. Show portfolio1's posts

Sir,

You reveal yourself to be a fantasy football fan and not a fan of football (and certainly not one who either played or coached). Nink is one of those highly desirable type of players who is sound in mind and body though not spectacular. He is eminently coachable. He is not a liabilty against the run or pass. He gives it his all and the result is that a smart and sound player, he makes plays.

No he will not be the sort to carry a team on his back. But he is the sort you include in the core of a very good team. You do need superlative players to play with him but he does more than fill a spot on the field let alone the roster.

I hope the Jets continue on the trail you blaze. It led them to throw away a high first round pick on a better athelete than Nink but yet a player who could not carry Nink's jock strap. Nink, Sir, is a football player.

Good day!

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from tcal2-. Show tcal2-'s posts

Sorry but the guy isn't even as good as Tully Banta-Cain, who was horrible.  He's part of the problem.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from tcal2-. Show tcal2-'s posts

In response to CablesWyndBairn's comment:

And Mayo scuks too, right?  C'mon TCal, I think you dislike players that most feel are key contributors on purpose.  Starting to confuse your posts with that Communist toss who throws anything and everything out there for "look at me" effect.   Nink and Mayo represent stability and professionalism, how can you not see that?

I want stability and Professionalism in my Appliance repairman.  I take beasts that can disrupt and make big play at big moments in my LB's.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from tcal2-. Show tcal2-'s posts

In response to portfolio1's comment:

Sir,

You reveal yourself to be a fantasy football fan and not a fan of football (and certainly not one who either played or coached). Nink is one of those highly desirable type of players who is sound in mind and body though not spectacular. He is eminently coachable. He is not a liabilty against the run or pass. He gives it his all and the result is that a smart and sound player, he makes plays.

No he will not be the sort to carry a team on his back. But he is the sort you include in the core of a very good team. You do need superlative players to play with him but he does more than fill a spot on the field let alone the roster.

I hope the Jets continue on the trail you blaze. It led them to throw away a high first round pick on a better athelete than Nink but yet a player who could not carry Nink's jock strap. Nink, Sir, is a football player.

Good day!

Wow, you sound a lot like Rusty.  I don't believe Mike Reiss ever played or coached so why don't you write a letter to ESPN.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from tcal2-. Show tcal2-'s posts

In response to CliffordWasHere's comment:

Does anyone have any question that TCal is a pink helmet or a troll?  Nink has gotten better and better every year here, is basically a MIke Vrabel type (without a ring, yet) and does a lot of things well.

What a loser TCal is. The guy is clueless in analyzing any player on this defense.

This might be the dumbest thing you have ever said and you've said a lot of dump *hit.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from tcal2-. Show tcal2-'s posts

In response to zbellino's comment:

Excellent post.  Great brief history of our Defensive short comings.  I'll still be happy if he doesn't make the roster because that means BB has found a better option.