what happened to germaine cunnigham our 2nd round pick

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from zbellino. Show zbellino's posts

Re: what happened to germaine cunnigham our 2nd round pick

TCal,

I'm not breaking b0lls here. And I'm not upset. But we know (or at least should) that OLB has been one of the hardest spots to fill here over the last few years. Bill expects a lot from those guys. We don't need to be upset if it takes Cunningham a season or two to get up to speed. That is all I'm saying. There is a lot more to it than rushing and even setting an edge. They need to make reads, and know when to cover RBs etcetera. This is stuff that is problematic fro 4-3 ends converting because they never had to think before. If a young convert lets a RB go clean in the flats you can get gashed. In an ideal world he can make a difference in special rush packages, but in an ideal world you have time to sub before every 3rd down. In the real world, most teams hurry it up in those situations to prevent personnel changes.

To the other poster. If Cunningham, Gronk, McCourty, Spikes, and Hern all work out. This will have to be one of the best drafts I've ever seen, if not the best.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from koft. Show koft's posts

In Response to Re: what happened to germaine cunnigham our 2nd round pick:
    TCal, I'm not breaking b0lls here. And I'm not upset. But we know (or at least should) that OLB has been one of the hardest spots to fill here over the last few years. Bill expects a lot from those guys. We don't need to be upset if it takes Cunningham a season or two to get up to speed. That is all I'm saying. There is a lot more to it than rushing and even setting an edge. They need to make reads, and know when to cover RBs etcetera. This is stuff that is problematic fro 4-3 ends converting because they never had to think before. If a young convert lets a RB go clean in the flats you can get gashed. In an ideal world he can make a difference in special rush packages, but in an ideal world you have time to sub before every 3rd down. In the real world, most teams hurry it up in those situations to prevent personnel changes. To the other poster. If Cunningham, Gronk, McCourty, Spikes, and Hern all work out. This will have to be one of the best drafts I've ever seen, if not the best.  
    Posted by zbellino

cunningham was drafted higher than spikes for cryin out loud. if he`s healthy he`ll play. urban myer and belichick see eye to eye, so there is no way that he can`t be useful this season if healthy. also, jermaine was spotted at practice today, although he didn`t participate. i would guess that he was doing some peddling.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from wozzy. Show wozzy's posts

I'm not buying that he doesn't have a chance to make an impact this year...  People talk about OLB as being one of the more challenging positions to pick up, but I'm fairly sure BB gave that title to the TE position!
    Posted by Payment84

The outside linebacker is responsible for setting the edge on the defense, he cannot allow runningbacks or anyone else to beat him to the outside, he has to cover them, tightends and take on pulling offensive linemen. Rushing the QB is the fun part but they may get called on to actually rush the passer about as often as an inside linebacker or safety. 

Fast enough to beat a halfback to the sideline but strong enough to take on 300+ pound linemen; I'd say the degree of difficulty for OLB's is pretty high... the amount of busts at that position draft after draft confirms this.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from wozzy. Show wozzy's posts

We both said the same thing at about the same time...

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Tcal2. Show Tcal2's posts

^^^You said it better than I did. I am surprised some Pats fans don't know what the roles are in a 3-4.
    Posted by russgriswold

Did you even read my second post russ?  I was simply talking about Pass rushing and Pass rushing only.  I was not talking about the responsibilities of an OLB in a 3-4 Defense.

Here, I'll make my point as crystal clear as I can.  Cunningham as a rookie can be successful as a pass rusher if he has the talent and ability to beat his man.
    The fact he is a rookie should not hinder him though experience will help.  I think he will be OK as a pass rusher.

How BB will use him, in what situation I don't know but I think he's going to be OK.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from kebbe. Show kebbe's posts

I ask again,can anyone in the Boston media get even a modicum of information about Cunningham's injury(I read somewhere that he turned an ankle and a  high ankle sprain would account for week and a half abscence)and a prognosis for his return.Anybody,anybody at all,I mean reporting is what you do,right   right?

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from artielang. Show artielang's posts

all accounts are it was some sort of ankle injury, not serious. he was back on the sidelines today, which means he will be back at practice in the next few days. my guess is we wont see him play this week, but he should see a lot of action against the giants. i'm anxious to see him.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from gandalf433. Show gandalf433's posts

I think it is a high ankle sprain, but why must we speculate. Cunningham was the second guy off the board for the Pats and there has been nada, zilch, cero information coming from the vaunted BG. Why can't these writers actually do some investigating and report something other than what ESPN Boston, and the Boston Herald report? I swear Gasper and Breer have yet to do any serious substantive reporting.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from pats-fan-2007. Show pats-fan-2007's posts

Cunningham was picking up the defense very well.

Unlike Crable, Cunningham appears solid on the mental parts of the game.

For Monday's practice, he did not participate; but he was out there in shorts walking about.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from tagandtrade. Show tagandtrade's posts

^^^You said it better than I did. I am surprised some Pats fans don't know what the roles are in a 3-4.
    Posted by russgriswold

clearly they do not becasue this 34 we are playing now is Fairbanks 34, Parcells runs a modified Fairbanks/Bullough 34 that resembles Bum Philips 1 gap 34.

The line we have now is too big to run the bum philips 1 gap, If we rotate the following guys (Wright, Wilfork, G. Warren) (Brace, Pryor, D. Lewis) collectively our line looks like it has 5 nose tackle and one end... Wright is the only 2 gap end on the list. Damion Lewis played NT and DT with St Louis and Carolina, G Warren has played a little on the nose but 90% DT in 43 schemes for Cleveland, Denver and Oakland... Pryor is our back up NT now and Brace looks like he lost 30 pounds recently which puts him at around 320... Nonetheless the average interior DL on this team is tipping the scale @ 6'3 330 and that is way to big for them to run blast, fires, or switches on the outside with there OLB's...

Wilfork gets moved around the line now and i have to speculate that they do that for two reasons; 1) they want him to go man to man with the strength of the opposing defenses OL. 2) He is not mobile enough for them to run twists from end to end... Wilfork is a big man so chances are it is both.

I think it would benefit the patriots to rotate there defense to the strength of the offense. At the moment the strength of the offense only determines our middle libacker positions and our safety positions.

By the end of the year i would like to see Brace in a starting role, I would also like to see brace and Wilfork rotate to strength of the opposing offense because Braces skill is stuffing the run... which makes him a pour fairbanks 34 DE because he should be able to rush when asked but i suspect that is a weakness of his.

If it is at all possible for them to play a modified bum philips 34 like the cowboys, chargers, bills and packers that would be nice occasionally.

changing to the fairbanks "bend don't break" base 34 would be acceptable when the game is in our hands late in the second half.

A more aggressive one gap style would be great in the first half though

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from vafan2004. Show vafan2004's posts

I do not see Cunningham as another Crable.  Cunningham is from Florida.  Coach Meyer and BB are tight.  BB knows what he got in drafting Cunningham, Spikes, and McCourty.

I see Cunningham making contributions this year if he is healthy.  

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from tagandtrade. Show tagandtrade's posts

Cunninghams a high motor kid and he is very thick in the legs, his calves will not be an issue as they resemble many of our quads!

He looks like a very well developed DE with speed. I think his muscular development is similar to the Jets bust Sir Gholstabust, lets hope that is the only comparison they share.

I hope we see him this week, a steady rotation of TBC/Burgess and Cunningham/Murrell would be healthy but it may not produce BIG sack results.

The sacks need to come from the middle men Mayo, Bmeri, & Chung should be huge in the sack department, I am not expecting much from Spikes in the form of sacks because I don't think he will be on the field when they perform those stunts.

50 sacks would be nice, 25 to 30 from the hybrid DE/OLB position, 7 to 10 out of our MLB's, 10 plus from the secondary and another 10 from that big a z z Dline. 

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from One-If-By-Sea. Show One-If-By-Sea's posts

Posted by russgriswold

I am surprised that some Pats fans don't even know what DE position Richard Seymour played for years. We all make mistakes Russ.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Drewski5. Show Drewski5's posts

Why do I get the feeling that its Shawn Crable all over again...I hope to God I'm wrong!
    Posted by Rodimus77

Have you ever seen the animated transformers movie (late 80's I believe)?

I prefer it to both of the current non-animated transformer movies.

I also LOVE the avatar.  Then again, I own the transformers season 1 box set.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Drewski5. Show Drewski5's posts

In Response to Re: what happened to germaine cunnigham our 2nd round pick : Nice avatar...i now expect my son to keep asking me to find you whenever he sees me on this board.
    Posted by seattlepat70

I jumped out of my seat when I saw the avatar....and im 26.

Sections
Shortcuts