What Happened to Patrick Chung?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from pcmIV. Show pcmIV's posts

What Happened to Patrick Chung?

I really liked this guy when we drafted him and he looked like a guy with a ton of potential his rookie year.   Then in 2010 he had a solid season highlighted by that monster game against Miami.  I really thought he was a star in the making. Last year was mostly a lost season with the injuries and this year it just doesn't feel like he's taken that next step.  Now granted it's still early and I don't have access to game film to look at every play, but to me he just seems to be out of position a lot whenever I do see him on screen.  I'm not saying the guy sucks and he is certainly more disciplined than Meriweather, but I can't help but wonder what happened with this guy. Does anyone else agree?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsLifer. Show PatsLifer's posts

Re: What Happened to Patrick Chung?

Yes, I agree with you. I do think Chung Is a physical safety, plays the run well and if given the opportunity he can blitz..lbut is liability in coverage . I don't think it is physicaL as he has plenty of speed to stay with te's, and provide help over the top. He is not a meriweather either. He plays with better technique. I am not sure what his problem is but himlaying against a QB that can air it out, I might think about using wilson back there with dowling or Moore and have Chung come up and play the money role that Wilson typically plays. 

3. This post has been removed.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsLifer. Show PatsLifer's posts

Why is it a troll deluxe thread Russ? He points To some valid concerns which you and I reiterate....Chungs coverage. I think Wilson may be better in coverage and Chung closer to the line so why not swap them and have Chung play in the box in nickel and dime and Wilson and Moore/dowling the other safesot spot? How is that being a troll?

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

Rusty definition of troll=disagreeing with Rusty

6. This post has been removed.

7. This post has been removed.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxfan94. Show redsoxfan94's posts

he has been good IMO, i wish he would help out DMC a little more....but overall i dont have too many complaints about chung....some times the stats dont show everything...

9. This post has been removed.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

In response to redsoxfan94's comment:

he has been good IMO, i wish he would help out DMC a little more....but overall i dont have too many complaints about chung....some times the stats dont show everything...

Throw out the stats. Watch him play. His initial step is forward, even on a pass coverage play, putting him in catch up mode right from the snap. He is taking poor angles and exposing the CB's with his poor play. The difference between Chung and Polomola is that the Steelers defense is predicated on pressure in over loaded zone with Plomola. The Pats are playing a semi cover 2 and don't want anyone behind the safeties. Chung is letting too many WR's to get behind him. 

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from CaptainZdeno33. Show CaptainZdeno33's posts

Rusty, why is it the only guy on NE you will be critical of is Tom Brady? I understand that being the leader he is held to a higher standard than others but you refuse to say a negative word about anyone else. Chung stinks against the long pass plain and simple.

12. This post has been removed.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from CaptainZdeno33. Show CaptainZdeno33's posts

Nvm, your most recent post sums Chung up pretty well.

14. This post has been removed.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from CaptainZdeno33. Show CaptainZdeno33's posts

In response to DelGriffith's comment:

In response to CaptainZdeno33's comment:

Rusty, why is it the only guy on NE you will be critical of is Tom Brady? I understand that being the leader he is held to a higher standard than others but you refuse to say a negative word about anyone else. Chung stinks against the long pass plain and simple.

I am not critical of Mankins? I'm critical of the people who underperform when they underperform.   I also chuckle when I don't see threads about any player on our D who has a very good game or string of games who make peanuts.

Why is it hard to understand that the highest paid players in the cap era need to be criticized in an offensive era, where Goodell is begging for points to be score?  Yeah, if Mankins is a bonehead, for example, I'll say so.  When Gronk or Welker fumble, in our zone on the road, I think it;s bad, yeah.

Look around the league, dude. Every game is like 31-28 and so on. Did you watch the Saints/Chargers game last night?

Do you watch any football outside of the Pats?

Yes I watch any football game that is on tv Pats or not. I meant to say Brady and Mankins.

16. This post has been removed.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from CaptainZdeno33. Show CaptainZdeno33's posts

Do you feel Godell wants offense more so than Tagliabue, as a way for him to grow the league and maybe expand into EUrope?

Answer that question, please.

Yes but I wouldn't say that a large majority of games are high scoring. This weekend alone 6 teams were held < 10 points and another 8 were held between 10-20 (most likely to be one more after the Jets game). It doesn't change the fact that Chung is often a step behind on long passes and NE's defense is vulnerable against the long ball more so than most teams I think. Its a combination of their lack of pass rush and young secondary.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from ccnsd. Show ccnsd's posts

We all know that the Pats defense is clearly the best in the league. But it might be slightly better if Chung studied some geometry and would learn that the fastest way from point A to point B is a straight line. That route is usually faster when tackling than running to where the reciever was a second earlier and then chasing him from behind into the endzone. Just my 2 cents. 

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from rameakap. Show rameakap's posts

swap Chung for Byrd this offseason

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Philskiw1. Show Philskiw1's posts

Chung, Mayo and Spikes in my eyes have always been suspect in pass coverage.  Our front 7 is in the back field more this year then last year already. This team will hit stride in the next few weeks. When the front 7 start getting hits and pressures it will help the secondary in coverage.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

In response to rkarp's comment:

Rusty definition of troll=disagreeing with Rusty

+1

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsLifer. Show PatsLifer's posts

Agree Philskiw1. THe front 7 needs to create more pressure to help on the backend. 

Russ...I don't think anyone is comparing Chung to Rodney, or even has Rodney type expectations. I think everyone here is basically pointing out that Chung is suspect in pass coverage and a lot of it has to do with between his ears. We know he is physically gifted. 

Should it be asking too much for Chung (if his responsibility is providing help to the CBs) to take good angles, be where he is supposed to be? That is far from a HOF expectation. 

None of us know for sure what BB is asking him to do. But, it is clear as day that he's not helping the team in the pass coverage department. If that is not a strenght of his, then BB needs to find someone that can do this and stick Chung somewhere else, or let him walk after his contract is up. 

THis team needs a FS type plain and simple. Gregory isn't the guy either. Wilson is more of a  SS, but decent in coverage at least. 

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

In response to CaptainZdeno33's comment:

I am not critical of Mankins? I'm critical of the people who underperform when they underperform.   I also chuckle when I don't see threads about any player on our D who has a very good game or string of games who make peanuts.

Why is it hard to understand that the highest paid players in the cap era need to be criticized in an offensive era, where Goodell is begging for points to be score?  Yeah, if Mankins is a bonehead, for example, I'll say so.  When Gronk or Welker fumble, in our zone on the road, I think it;s bad, yeah.

Look around the league, dude. Every game is like 31-28 and so on. Did you watch the Saints/Chargers game last night?

Do you watch any football outside of the Pats?

This is hilarious, even for you. The likes of BJGE, McCourty, Chung and Meriweather received your benevolent protection from their severe shortcomings, but the greatest player in team history gets smashed multiple times a day from you. Then you call anybody who disagrees a troll and a pink hat.

You can't have it both ways. You can't say BB is the greatest GM in history and then complain about the guys he chose to give the big bucks.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

In response to PatsLifer's comment:

Agree Philskiw1. THe front 7 needs to create more pressure to help on the backend. 

Russ...I don't think anyone is comparing Chung to Rodney, or even has Rodney type expectations. I think everyone here is basically pointing out that Chung is suspect in pass coverage and a lot of it has to do with between his ears. We know he is physically gifted. 

Should it be asking too much for Chung (if his responsibility is providing help to the CBs) to take good angles, be where he is supposed to be? That is far from a HOF expectation. 

None of us know for sure what BB is asking him to do. But, it is clear as day that he's not helping the team in the pass coverage department. If that is not a strenght of his, then BB needs to find someone that can do this and stick Chung somewhere else, or let him walk after his contract is up. 

THis team needs a FS type plain and simple. Gregory isn't the guy either. Wilson is more of a  SS, but decent in coverage at least. 

I would say the odds are about 90% that BB will let Chung walk after the rookie contract is up.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from coolade2. Show coolade2's posts

I'm down on Chung too.  Name ONE PLAY he has made this year.  I'd rather have MCC at safety (which I harped on last year when he was tried out and had a pick.  Speed to close is huge for a safety and ball skills are nice too. 

Chung has neither.  MCC is better when the play is in front of him.  I thought he learned how to turn around last week ... Not so much this week.

dennard outplayed MCC at corner and Wilson was better than Chung.

This year the secondary has more options ...  C'mon BB , mix it up again ...

Sections
Shortcuts