What Happened to Patrick Chung?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsLifer. Show PatsLifer's posts

Re: What Happened to Patrick Chung?

Chung has speed. The kid ran a 4.4 at the combine. He's not slow. IT's his technique and angles he takes. This can be improved, but I've yet to see it. 

I too think BB needs to mix it up in the defensive backfield a bit. I think we saw some of that yesterday with Dennard getting some reps. BB is experimenting trying to find the optimal mix. 

THe problem that compounds Chung is Moore and Dowling haven't played really well either. Less of course Moore's strip of Thomas yesterday, he's been a bit weak in coverage. 

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from coolade2. Show coolade2's posts

Maybe he lost a step... He was way behind tamme in first qtr and Peyton missed him.  Lucky on that one...

On passing downs ( like when you're up 3 scores) why not put speed guys back there ? 

Moore was a part time safety... Knows how to knock a ball out even if you're a tad late.  That's a play Chung never makes.  Time to mix it up again.

if Chung needs to be close to line , put him in the slot like they used Edelman .

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from coolade2. Show coolade2's posts

if MCC wasn't getting attacked and burned on such a regular basis, I'd stay with him at corner.  They tried it last(switching him to safety ) year and it Worked. 

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

I remember when Mike Mayock of the NFL network was at camp a couple of years ago and he was covering Chung for a little spoof - Chung was beaten badly on several occassions by Welker and here's the kicker, it was that he was beaten deep by Welker - guy blew right past him. Mayock was stunned. Nothing has really changed in his game.

The people that compare this guy to Troy Palumalu along the line of scrimmage are just a tad bit off in that assesment. In fact the people that say that, make me laugh sooo hard that I pee myself a little bit (just a little). Anyone who puts Troy Palumalu in the same sentence when discussing Chung's play, need to not only get their heads examined, but call a family member right away to get themselves to the hospital. I mean people's health is at stake here.

Chung needs to eat a sandwhich...lift a weight, because he's no "in the box safety". Not at his size and strength - he got absolutely creamed on a third and short yesterday, it was embarrassing. His whole game is embarrassing. I'm embarrassed to say I wanted them to draft this guy...I truly am. He will NOT be resigned. He will NOT get through a season healthy anyways. 

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from coolade2. Show coolade2's posts

In response to mthurl's comment:

I remember when Mike Mayock of the NFL network was at camp a couple of years ago and he was covering Chung for a little spoof - Chung was beaten badly on several occassions by Welker and here's the kicker, it was that he was beaten deep by Welker - guy blew right past him. Mayock was stunned. Nothing has really changed in his game.

The people that compare this guy to Troy Palumalu along the line of scrimmage are just a tad bit off in that assesment. In fact the people that say that, make me laugh sooo hard that I pee myself a little bit (just a little). Anyone who puts Troy Palumalu in the same sentence when discussing Chung's play, need to not only get their heads examined, but call a family member right away to get themselves to the hospital. I mean people's health is at stake here.

Chung needs to eat a sandwhich...lift a weight, because he's no "in the box safety". Not at his size and strength - he got absolutely creamed on a third and short yesterday, it was embarrassing. His whole game is embarrassing. I'm embarrassed to say I wanted them to draft this guy...I truly am. He will NOT be resigned. He will NOT get through a season healthy anyways. 

I know the 3rd and 1 you're talking about... End of 1st qtr, mcgahee stretches the ball for 1st down while mayo tackles him.  Chung was on the edge and was buried by Chris gronkowski.

BB challenged the spot , lost the challenge , then put his headset on stating," fu##Ing bullsh!t".

clear as day on national television .  I guess he was into the game at that point...

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from tcal2-. Show tcal2-'s posts

Nothing has happened to Chung and that's the problem.  He sucked when he was a rookie and he still sucks.  The dude never improved.....any.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

In response to PatsLifer's comment:

Yes, I agree with you. I do think Chung Is a physical safety, plays the run well and if given the opportunity he can blitz..lbut is liability in coverage . I don't think it is physicaL as he has plenty of speed to stay with te's, and provide help over the top. He is not a meriweather either. He plays with better technique. I am not sure what his problem is but himlaying against a QB that can air it out, I might think about using wilson back there with dowling or Moore and have Chung come up and play the money role that Wilson typically plays. 

chung was never a cover safety. never very effective at defending passes imo.

8. This post has been removed.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

In response to tcal2-'s comment:

Nothing has happened to Chung and that's the problem.  He sucked when he was a rookie and he still sucks.  The dude never improved.....any.

Agree.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

In response to DelGriffith's comment:

We pee ourselves collectively thinking about you reading a book.  A big boy book. LMAO

Why do you say we? You're the only one around here who jumps on insignificant typos, slang or grammatical glitches.

Fact is, only your fake accounts agree with you on most of your spin.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from 15315k. Show 15315k's posts

In response to BabeParilli's comment:

We pee ourselves collectively thinking about you reading a book.  A big boy book. LMAO

Why do you say we? You're the only one around here who jumps on insignificant typos, slang or grammatical glitches.

You the one with all the fake accounts troll. You been exposed . Start talkin smack then hide behind your other handles. You have at least 5 handles punk. What grade are you in anyways ? Was babe pareili your grampas fav player?

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

In response to 15315k's comment:

You the one with all the fake accounts troll. You been exposed . Start talkin smack then hide behind your other handles. You have at least 5 handles punk. What grade are you in anyways ? Was babe pareili your grampas fav player?

Pretty comical. I reply to Rusty and you chime in. But you're not him. Right.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from raptor64d. Show raptor64d's posts

Count me as officially worried about Chung. I like him and hope he turns it around but I remember more then one play Sunday where he was out of position and a day late and a dollar short. I am by no means throwing in the towell and hope he improves quickley!

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from pats-fan-2007. Show pats-fan-2007's posts

I honestly don't recall the last time Chung deflected a pass.

15. This post has been removed.

16. This post has been removed.

17. This post has been removed.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

In response to JintsFan's comment:

In response to 15315k's comment:

hi queenie

How daft can he be? I address crusty and he admonishes the reply with his fake account. Just a bit obvious.

19. This post has been removed.

20. This post has been removed.

21. This post has been removed.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from coolade2. Show coolade2's posts

Just watched 2nd half again ... Dude, you can't defend this . The Peyton drive after pats went up 31-7 was a complete Chung low light reel.

first he allows 12 yards underneath to tamme who ran with it 5 yards before Chung gets there ... Then he completely whiffs on a tackle of Thomas, allowing 10 yards... Then Thomas catches a deep ball over him where he makes zero play on the ball.

also, dennard stood out.  On one play he schools Chung by going up and knocking the ball down whilechung is looking the other direction.

Chung does 2 things the entire half.  He trips tamme while running with him, and he dove to stop mcgahee on goal line defense...

the rest was really sad.  Like hard to believe  he's on the team let alone starting . 

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from coolade2. Show coolade2's posts

In response to pats-fan-2007's comment:

I honestly don't recall the last time Chung deflected a pass.

exactly ....

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from coolade2. Show coolade2's posts

If you want to pile on ... You can blame loss in February on him too.  Ridiculous manningham catch wouldn't have happened if Chung knew how to break up a pass... He runs into Mario but does not impact the ball area at all. 

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from CablesWyndBairn. Show CablesWyndBairn's posts

Not overly impressed with either Chung or Gregory this year.  Not sure that Chung was ever supposed to be a great coverage safety, he was thought to be a more in the box, SS type.  He has been pretty good in run support in the past, but his weakness has been coverage, no doubt, even against TEs. 

I may be naive or overstating the problem, but how long till BB starts looking at Wilson to play more, or for McCourty or Dowling to move to safety if things at the position don't improve?  That would require guys like Dennard, Moore or Cole to step up their games at CB. 

Sections
Shortcuts