What happens if Seymour does not report to the Raiders...?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsLifer. Show PatsLifer's posts

What happens if Seymour does not report to the Raiders...?

n order for this brilliant move to be reality, Seymour has to report to the Raiders. Peter King on SI.com reported this morning that according to a close friend of Seymour's, there is a possiblity he does not report. He's pissed and I can't blame him, but this is business.
    If he does not report, the Raiders keep that draft pick and the Pats are left holding the bag...Seymour will be fined for not playing, we lose him for the year (because he probably will not want to play for us), and we get nothing in return. If Seymour can financially afford it, perhaps he sits out...
    Thoughts?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from agcsbill. Show agcsbill's posts

Re: What happens if Seymour does not report to the Raiders...?

The only thing I can think of as to why this trade happened.. 

BB and Seymour talked and Seymour did not sound like a player to BB who would give a hometown discount when it came time to negotiate a new contract or would not acknowledge his skills have diminished.  In the end, if Seymour is a pro, he'll want to prove to the Pats he is still a force to reckon with on the D-line and let his play do all his talking.  Subsequently he piccks up a nice contract to either stay with the Raiders or somewhere else.  If he were not to report, this just adds fuel to the fire that he is a prima -donna player who shouldn't be treated as anything but "special".

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from oklahomapatriot. Show oklahomapatriot's posts

In Response to Re: What happens if Seymour does not report to the Raiders...?:
    [QUOTE]The only thing I can think of as to why this trade happened..  BB and Seymour talked and Seymour did not sound like a player to BB who would give a hometown discount when it came time to negotiate a new contract or would not acknowledge his skills have diminished.  In the end, if Seymour is a pro, he'll want to prove to the Pats he is still a force to reckon with on the D-line and let his play do all his talking.  Subsequently he piccks up a nice contract to either stay with the Raiders or somewhere else.  If he were not to report, this just adds fuel to the fire that he is a prima -donna player who shouldn't be treated as anything but "special".
    Posted by agcsbill[/QUOTE]

I think you're right. he held out twice doing what he thought was business for himself. personally i think his game has fallen from the super bowl years. don't these guys see the example Tom Brady has shown by taking less pay to get the players needed to keep a winning team together?

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from timsandra. Show timsandra's posts

"In order for this brilliant move to be reality, Seymour has to report to the Raiders."

WRONG!! The deal has been consummated. If Seymour dont report it is to bad for the Raiders. Just like they didnt request/demand the opportunity to renegotiate his contract prior to completing the deal. Big Sey is now the Raiders headache. If he dont report they gave up a #1 for nothing.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from markes8336. Show markes8336's posts

A player who held out for a bigger contract has no right to pi** and moan about where he is traded later. He made the relationship all business, so what makes him think the Pats wouldn't?

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from jcappy. Show jcappy's posts

Given the way the AFL west is shaping up, Seymour may end up in the playoffs...  If he cares to think this way, he might be able to make it happen.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from pondbridge. Show pondbridge's posts

Look at the players that the Raiders have thrown huge contracts at recently who have flopped (Walker, Hall). To keep Raid Duh Nation happy, Al will sign Sey to one of those ridiculous 5 year mega-contracts: this deal looks horrible for Al if Sey is one-and-out. Seymour is smart: he's playing the angry game in order to fleece Davi$$$.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from PHILZONE686. Show PHILZONE686's posts

[QUOTE]A player who held out for a bigger contract has no right to pi** and moan about where he is traded later. He made the relationship all business, so what makes him think the Pats wouldn't?
    Posted by markes8336[/QUOTE]

This is the perfect attitude to have towards this trade, if BB thinks the D can handle his loss and still be good enough to win then tough luck.  You are 100% correct about Seymour's attitude - it has always been about the money to him and he has never hidden that fact.  It was just that once upon a time his game would back it up, and not so much anymore especially considering the injuries he seems to have EVERY year.  That was getting frustrating, between him missing time and holding out constantly I really don't feel that bad for him.  What goes around comes around.

I just hope BB is right about the rest of the D, I definiately see the potential but I think it will take a few weeks to gel.Cool

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from SOX-FAN-IN-TAMPA. Show SOX-FAN-IN-TAMPA's posts

Seymour will report or his career will end. He is playing the only card he has right now to try and get extra cash in form of an extension out of the Raiders. Crazy 'Ol Al will probably give him a 5 yr 25-30 million contract. The Raiders have loved these old guys since I was a little kid. Seymour may get his biggest contract he has signed in Oakland before Thursday night NFL kickoff.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Rocky. Show Rocky's posts

Seymour could eventually get "five day letter"
    http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/category/rumor-mill/
     by Mike Florio on September 7, 2009 1:08 PM ET

We posed earlier today the question of whether defensive lineman Richard Seymour will report to the Raiders after the trade that sent him from New England for a first-round pick in 2011.

NFL spokesman Michael Signora has outlined for us the procedure that would apply, if Seymour stays away.

The precise protocol is determined by the terms of the trade.  "Traditionally the first condition is that the trade is contingent upon the player or players reporting and passing a physical," Signora said. 

If the player doesn't report, the two teams can try to come up with a new agreement, or the trade could be called off. 

The only leverage that can be exerted against the player is the dreaded "five-day letter," a precursor to placement on the reserve/left squad list. 

"The club sends a letter to the player warning him that, in five days, the club has the right to place him on the reserve/left squad list," Signora said.  "It explains to him that if they do place him in that category, he cannot play again this season, etc.  After sending that letter and the expiration of the five-day period, the club does not have to place the player on the reserve/left squad list, but it may do so."

If the trade conditions the transaction on Seymour reporting, the Pats would be the team sending the five-day letter.  If the Pats and the Raiders re-work the deal, the Raiders could in theory acquire Seymour's rights without Seymour actually reporting, just as the Buccaneers did a couple of years ago with quarterback Jake Plummer.

The Raiders and the Patriots could hinge the precise compensation for the trade on whether Seymour reports to Oakland, and whether he lands on the reserve/left club list.

Once on the reserve/left club list, Seymour would be unable to play for anyone in 2009, and his contract would toll by a full year, with his salary of roughly $3.7 million applicable in 2010, if he decides at that point to show up.

So, basically, this thing could go in a lot of different directions if, as some think, Seymour will refuse to play for the Raiders.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from carawaydj. Show carawaydj's posts

Hobbs mentioned a couple of times after he was traded that there were more players in the locker room now less willing to play for less $$ just to win.  I wonder if BB is conducting a good house cleaning?  Probably not, but it wouldn't surprise me if there is a little bit of that going on.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from sonieboy. Show sonieboy's posts

[QUOTE]The only thing I can think of as to why this trade happened..  BB and Seymour talked and Seymour did not sound like a player to BB who would give a hometown discount when it came time to negotiate a new contract or would not acknowledge his skills have diminished.  In the end, if Seymour is a pro, he'll want to prove to the Pats he is still a force to reckon with on the D-line and let his play do all his talking.  Subsequently he piccks up a nice contract to either stay with the Raiders or somewhere else.  If he were not to report, this just adds fuel to the fire that he is a prima -donna player who shouldn't be treated as anything but "special".
    Posted by agcsbill[/QUOTE]    Good post you have it correct. Should he fail to report not only will he loose his annual salary he will be putting the league on notice and that will be the end for MR Seymore. I doubt that when the air clears he refuses to report. Right now he's upset, hurt and proud, hopefully it doesn't cloud his intelligence.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from sonieboy. Show sonieboy's posts

[QUOTE]"In order for this brilliant move to be reality, Seymour has to report to the Raiders." WRONG!! The deal has been consummated. If Seymour dont report it is to bad for the Raiders. Just like they didnt request/demand the opportunity to renegotiate his contract prior to completing the deal. Big Sey is now the Raiders headache. If he dont report they gave up a #1 for nothing.
    Posted by timsandra[/QUOTE] Good post, now that I think about it I think he must or be out of football. I guess he could retire.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from ewhite1065. Show ewhite1065's posts

[QUOTE]Hobbs mentioned a couple of times after he was traded that there were more players in the locker room now less willing to play for less $$ just to win.  I wonder if BB is conducting a good house cleaning?  Probably not, but it wouldn't surprise me if there is a little bit of that going on.
    Posted by carawaydj[/QUOTE]

The last guy that took less money to play here was Brady and the only other guy that took significantly less was Moss(Who wanted to play with a winner) or Bruschi a long time ago. Players that want to come here and win will take less but players that have already played here and won will not..I.E. Asante Samuel, Adam Vinitieri, Ty Law The list goes on and every year there are players that say they are not taking the home town discount. This is business nothing more.We will forget all about this half way through the season when we're 6-2

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from FOWLER8196. Show FOWLER8196's posts

if he doesnt go do we lose the 2011 pick?

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Low-FB-IQ. Show Low-FB-IQ's posts

[QUOTE]"In order for this brilliant move to be reality, Seymour has to report to the Raiders." WRONG!! The deal has been consummated. If Seymour dont report it is to bad for the Raiders. Just like they didnt request/demand the opportunity to renegotiate his contract prior to completing the deal. Big Sey is now the Raiders headache. If he dont report they gave up a #1 for nothing.
    Posted by timsandra[/QUOTE]

Actually, I am pretty sure YOU are wrong. I do not believe the "deal" is consummated until RS passes his physical. That means he has to show up to take the physical in the first place.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from vegas12. Show vegas12's posts

Hey Richard,

Be a man and report tot the Raiders.  You've collected plenty of money here and got 3 rings in the process.  You're often hurt and seldom make plays any more.  No one wants to hear your wining and complaining.  Stop being a baby and be a professional; report.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from sportsbozo1. Show sportsbozo1's posts

[QUOTE]Hey Richard, Be a man and report tot the Raiders.  You've collected plenty of money here and got 3 rings in the process.  You're often hurt and seldom make plays any more.  No one wants to hear your wining and complaining.  Stop being a baby and be a professional; report.
    Posted by vegas12[/QUOTE]good post but remember we are talking about a selfish person,who is all about the Quon!!!!It's a business if I'm BB I send him his notice and let him know he's not playing in New England so enjoy your year off without pay!!!If he's as disruptive as they say he is in the locker room then good riddance.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from wwsf4ever. Show wwsf4ever's posts

In Response to What happens if Seymour does not report to the Raiders...?:
    [QUOTE]n order for this brilliant move to be reality, Seymour has to report to the Raiders. Peter King on SI.com reported this morning that according to a close friend of Seymour's, there is a possiblity he does not report. He's pissed and I can't blame him, but this is business. If he does not report, the Raiders keep that draft pick and the Pats are left holding the bag...Seymour will be fined for not playing, we lose him for the year (because he probably will not want to play for us), and we get nothing in return. If Seymour can financially afford it, perhaps he sits out... Thoughts?
    Posted by PatsLifer[/QUOTE]

SIT OUT?

My first thought is that IF the raiders will renegotiate with R. Seymour now, that he will definitely show up.

I am sorry but didn;t he play that game with the Pats arleady?  He wanted more than his contract called for so he sat down and wimpered like a little B---C until he got what he wanted.....   He can do it again with the raiders, and they are used to giving HUGE contracts for players that they like, so he will get a barrell full of bux.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Blomie. Show Blomie's posts

He can apply to Gentle Giants for a job if he did not want to report to the Raiders.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Blomie. Show Blomie's posts

He can apply to Gentle Giants for a job if he did not want to report to the Raiders.

22. This post has been removed.

23. This post has been removed.