What happens to 49ers if Crabtree doesnt sign?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Plastics017. Show Plastics017's posts

What happens to 49ers if Crabtree doesnt sign?

Ok, first let me say, I know this is a Patriots board, and secondly, we've all heard enough about that loser Crabtree... My question is a general football question because what the 49ers are going through w/ Crabtree could have happened to any other team.  My question is, what happens to the 49ers pick if Crabtree re-enters college and re-enters the draft next year?  Do the 49ers just lose their 1st round pick this year?  If that is the case, I think something really needs to be done about that, it just seems unfair to the 49ers (or any other team if they had to go through this) to lose their pick because some dude who's never played a down in the NFL thinks he's worth more...  This could set a precedent that would be very bad for the NFL, what happens?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from MVPkilla. Show MVPkilla's posts

Re: What happens to 49ers if Crabtree doesnt sign?

They lose the pick and he re enters the draft next year and his stalk drops huge and he falls into like round 2. And he still does nto get paid what he wants! This kid is a fool. But as far as I know the 49ers would simply lose the pick.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Evil2009. Show Evil2009's posts

This happens so seldom that I can't remember ever hearing of how it works. I'd have to agree with killa. If the team that drafts him had to give compensation what would you base it on? His original position or when he gets drafted the second time around. If it was the former he could rot on the board for 2 days ( which he deserves ) and end up not being drafted at all. If the second senerio is true he'll still go late. Who wants to waste a high round pick on a cry baby who's going to go home and pout if he doesn't get his way.

Killa...I'd say round 3 at the best. He's going to be out of football for a year and has proven he doesn't want to follow the rules. It will be a huge risk for any team.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedsGhost. Show RedsGhost's posts

Once you choose to enter the draft, you don't have the choice to go back to college. He'd be out a year and recent memory of him would falter a bit. Yes, 49r's lose the pick and I agree he'd fall out of the first round and therefore make less money than if he had signed this year.
    Also, you have to lay a little bit of blame at the 49r's doorstep. All offseason up until the draft teams bring in these players for interviews and it's at this time they should have discovered just how greedy/full of himself he is and therefore passed on him.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

The only time I've heard of something like this was when Stouffer held out all season. But his rights were traded for a bunch of picks right before the next years draft and he decided to sign before re-entering the draft.

Honestly Crabtree is an idiot. He'll lose more money then he was fighting for to begin with. Sure he'll be a top five pick though. It just might be in round 2 or 3

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from tanbass. Show tanbass's posts

This guy is a lowlife piece of garbage. It sickens me to no end to see some unproven punk try and pull this stuff. I hope he gets what he deserves....nada!! The sad part is that his agent is the one that probably talked him into this ridiculousness.

I long for the day that all rookies come into the league on a fixed salary. It can be priced to specific positions & draft picks. Then you could structure in bonuses for outstanding performance. You play well....you get paid well. If you can't perform, your pay should reflect that.

Then a couple years down the line, they could be eligible for a better contract.
    Fair is fair......in my opinion, NO rookie is worth jack until proven on the field.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from NY-PATS-FAN4. Show NY-PATS-FAN4's posts

In Response to Re: What happens to 49ers if Crabtree doesnt sign?:
    This guy is a lowlife piece of garbage. It sickens me to no end to see some unproven punk try and pull this stuff. I hope he gets what he deserves....nada!! The sad part is that his agent is the one that probably talked him into this ridiculousness. I long for the day that all rookies come into the league on a fixed salary. It can be priced to specific positions & draft picks. Then you could structure in bonuses for outstanding performance. You play well....you get paid well. If you can't perform, your pay should reflect that. Then a couple years down the line, they could be eligible for a better contract. Fair is fair......in my opinion, NO rookie is worth jack until proven on the field.
    Posted by tanbass

Well, you can't have it both ways, now can you. Whenever someone who outperforms their rookie contract--like Asante or Seymour or Wilfork--tries to get an organization to renegotiate before the contract ends, fans on this board scream (rightly), "He signed a contract; he ought to honor it!" Therefore, the ONLY recourse a rookie has is to NOT sign a long-term contract he does not deem to be fair, and be prepared to suffer the consequences of doing so.

I have no idea what Michael Crabtree is worth, because I have not seen enough of him to have an opinion. And he may indeed be the most egostistical head case who ever lived. But I respect a guy who passes up the cash and holds to his convictions more so than one who signs a contract he never expects to honor down the road. If more players had the guts to take this approach, the fractured rookie pay system would have been fixed long ago.

Sections
Shortcuts