What I learned from Hard Knocks episode 2

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from capecodwilly. Show capecodwilly's posts

Re: What I learned from Hard Knocks episode 2

Thanks, killa. For those of us who missed it, it was good to get your read on things.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Salcon. Show Salcon's posts

Didn't see the show.  Believe it or not I don't have HBO but I enjoyed your take on it more than any article I've read in the Globe recently by the likes of Albert Breer or Chris Gasper. 
    I'm not a big Mark Sanchez fan but this would be his rookie year if he stayed in college his senior year.  Just reiterating the fact of how young this kid is and the spot light he is under in NY. 
    LT. Still don't like the man.  Even more so now that he's playing for the Jets.
    Vernon Gholston I think will end up a total bust.  I remember how some people on this board hoped he would be available to the Pats in the draft.  Nice gesture by him by offering to take a pay cut.  Says more about him as person than it does as a football player.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Artist-Frmrly-Knwn-As-NickC1188. Show Artist-Frmrly-Knwn-As-NickC1188's posts

1.  I already knew that Sanchez was going to have a tough time when he needed a color-coded playbook.  Then he showed off his arm in the winter Meadowlands winds and I knew that the only way that he'll succeed is if the league forces him down our throats like they did with Eli Manning.

2.  Kris Jenkins was a beast last year.  What amazes me is that they still had the top run defense WITHOUT him.

3.  John Conner is apparently handing out concussions in practice the way that those Japanese guys hand out free samples of terriyaki chicken in the mall.  Saw this on ESPN, too.  He's a classic fullback, which is perfect for their ground-and-pound offense.

4.  Kyle Wilson should be good, but Cromartie is not too bright.  I think they have to find ways to just get him into one-on-one man coverage.  Opponents just need to find ways to make him try to use his brain, such as trips bunches and motions.

5.  Vernon Gholston could be a serviceable DE.  Occupies his man and holds his ground.  I don't think he'll be anything special.

6.  Let's get this straight: I don't LIKE LaDainian Tomlinson, but I never disrespected his ACCOMPLISHMENTS.  Nonetheless, he couldn't run in an offense that featured a top-5 QB, a top-5 receiver, the best TE in the game, and two Pro-Bowl level linemen, a team that put up the most passing yard in the league last year.  It's not like teams were crowding the box against him.  And yet he blames everyone else for his failures.  He talks a lot of sh*t BEFORE the 2006 divisional game in San Diego, yet cries about how the Patriots celebrated AFTER they beat his sorry a*s*s.  He's NOT the guy you want in your locker room during a losing streak.  He's on a short list of scum that I wouldn't lament to see injured, and that list doesn't even include Peyton or Eli Manning (the latter of whom really did get injured in a dumb and gruesome helmetless impact the other day)

7.  Shonne Greene is probably too humble to get face time on Hard Knocks.  Nonetheless, the Jets will live and die by him, not LT, and this would be a good thing for them.  Until LT starts complaining about his playing time...

8.  Although I'll wait to see more game action from them, I'm not surprised.  An excitable and emotional team tends to be more undisciplined.  While Rex Ryan has done a good job catering his team to his style (emotional, excitable, in-your-face football with the running game and the blitz defense), it doesn't lend itself to good special teams play.  See: Ted Ginn, Jr., whose returns won games against the Jets last year.

9.  There are a lot of egos in that locker room and a lot of fragile psyches like LT's who will not handle adversity well.  If the Ravens and Patriots beat them to start the season, I firmly believe they'll fold.

10.  I don't care about Rex Ryan's weight.  Nobody was complaining when Charlie Weis was running our offense.  You talk about how much you hate him, but I bet nobody here has ever played football for a coach like him before.  You WANT to play for a guy like him who lets you do your thing and makes football fun, especially in the grind of a professional career (I played college and that already stunk with football taking up 6hrs a day).  I hate Bart Scott and LT.  I really don't like the hype around Sanchez and think it's just because the league needs more Hispanic marketing.  But Rex Ryan I like - rare is someone who's honest at press conferences and who speaks his mind.  If anything, he's INTERESTING.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from CablesWyndBairn. Show CablesWyndBairn's posts

I learned that if Cromartie walks within 5 feet of a female she has a 50% chance of becoming pregnant. 

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from gmbill. Show gmbill's posts

Man I gotta git me one of them TV thangs....

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from furiousd. Show furiousd's posts

Hey MVPkilla, you are a little off on understanding what RussGriswold is saying.  He is not making a blanket statement about the value and importance of practice.  That would be silly.  He is saying that in LT-jr's case, it is meaningless to say he looks good in practice because it will have no bearing on the year.  This is a guy who looked "great" in the preseason, in practice, because he really didn't play in any games,  the last 2 years, but when it came to actual games he looked slow and not at all the back he once was.  I think he made some good points about how good a passing game and very serviceable line he had too.  So, he's saying he will believe when, or if we see it in the season.  Yes, if he looked bad already, that would be another thing, but it is kind of pointless to look at practice and one mediocre game against a depleted and hoping to get better Giants D.  ]
         There's no way he takes over for Greene.  He may end up being a solid back up with good potential to catch passes out of the backfield, but if he has to carry the load, the Jets are in trouble. 
        Other than that, thanks for the post. 

7. This post has been removed.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from JDonalds75. Show JDonalds75's posts

I think that when Marty Schottenheimer (sp) visited he had the best line about second year QBs, and I'm paraphrasing here: "If the guy stays at the same level as is rookie season, then the guy has made progress."  It's a counterintuitive statement on its face, but makes a ton of sense and even applies to a lot of other positions not just the QB spot. 

I loved watching Nick Mangold toss Kris Jenkins around in practice.  I'd like to see him do that with Vince Wilfork.

After watching Hard Knocks since the season with the Ravens back in fall 2002, I think, it's impossible to predict how good a team is based on what is shown in these episodes.  The one common theme is that all of these teams on the show, and likely all in the league, have a ton of confidence, confidence that borders on arrogance and naivete. 

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from ewhite1065. Show ewhite1065's posts

In Response to Re: What I learned from Hard Knocks episode 2:
    UPDATE - Also I almost forgot to let you know how bad one of their rookies looked. The Jets rookie running back out of USC McKnight looks very bad. I wont use the word bust because no way I can tell this early but he didnt know his plays he couldnt run the ball he just looked all around bad. So much for him replacing Leon Washington.
    Posted by MVPkilla4life

They were talking about McKnight on Sirius today and they said he has no clue in Pass protection either. He probably won't see much time early in the season unless there is an injury.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from carawaydj. Show carawaydj's posts

I have a fairly nughead view on the whole looking good in practice or camp thing.  Although we all know that looking good in practice or camp does not guarantee you look good in games, it is always, definitely, 100%, absolutely the case that looking good in camp is better than looking bad in camp....except for those players who look bad in practice but play great in real games :^)

I don't like LT, but I would not write him off...yet.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from gmbill. Show gmbill's posts

In Response to What I learned from Hard Knocks episode 2 : He is young, no doubt and has a tremendous upside.  But to counter your point, does his 1st preseason game this factor into this?  Throw a pick, then finish 13/17 1/1 90+ rating?  Seems like he was able to deal with a little adversity.  He will make plenty of mistakes this year.  He just will be way ahead of where he was last year.
    Posted by PhatRex

The jets will

Stock Photo - vacuum cleaner.  fotosearch - search  stock photos,  pictures, images,  and photo clipart

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from digger0862. Show digger0862's posts

1. He could go either way, good or bad.
    2. If healthy, he's great. Big if.
    3. Pats have a fullback, for next year:

Re: fullback anyone?

posted at 3/24/2010 11:35 PM EDT

First: 6/29/2009
    Last: 8/18/2010
    The Patriots signed an undrafted FB from Navy, Eric Kettani at the end of the 2009 Draft.  At 6-foot-1, 233-pounds Eric ranks eighth on Navy's all-time rushing list with 2,091 career yards at 5.4 yards per carry. He is quite possibly Navy's most impressive athlete at least in the modern era as he ran a 4.59 at 233 pounds on Navy's Pro Day.  He also benches 395 pounds and cleans 335 pounds and has a 32-inch vertical.  has averaged 5.4 yards per carry for his career, the sixth-best average in school history. His running style is low to the ground and is tough to tackle.

He has to finish his commitment to the navy and will report in 2011 to the New England Patriots serving out the remainder of his commitment in a recruiting capacity.  

Check this video out if you want to see him in action:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Zs0ZvVg9uo
    4. Good stuff.
    5. Interesting. I agree.
    6. They very much need Shaun Greene to produce. If he does and Tomlinson is healthy, LT will be a great third down back. Another big if.
    7. Sounds like the jury is still out.
    8. If true, that will hurt them big time.
    9. Overconfidence is never a good thing but if they come out of their first 5 games (Ravens @home, Pats @home, @Dolphins, @Bills, Vikings @home) with a record of 5-0, then the division could be theirs. Otherwise they'll fold.
    10. hahaha

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from digger0862. Show digger0862's posts

Man I gotta git me one of them TV thangs....
    Posted by gmbill

http://www.hbo.com/#/hard-knocks
    They've got the first episode online.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from digger0862. Show digger0862's posts

http://www.hbo.com/#/hard-knocks They've got the first episode online.
    Posted by digger0862

I forgot to mention it's for mature audiences, so you gotta register. lol

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from digger0862. Show digger0862's posts

Great post digger. I love the stuff on the FB from Navy I only wish we had him this year. I am excited to see that kid show up next year.
    Posted by MVPkilla4life

Thanks for the updates.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from shenanigan. Show shenanigan's posts

Didn't see the second episode killa.  I agree with your points.  Maybe LT will be better than we think.  In the preseason game he looked OK.  Most of the carries went to Shonne Greene who looked real good.  I don't know where you get the special teams being bad.  In the preaseason game they looked pretty good.  The return game was good and they blocked a punt.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Payment84. Show Payment84's posts

I often get bogged down in these disscussions, I just have to say one thing...

John Conner!!  Are you joking, this kid is unreal!  Rex Ryan talked about how his staff let him take 1 pick in the draft...  He said this is my ace-in-the-hole, this FB is going to knock people out.  I wish we had a player who could inflict the pain to defensive players like this kid does...

Anyway, I also have a question...

How do you think the Patriots practice compares to what we are seeing with the Jets??  I know I read some articles about how there was a clear difference in efficiency and professionalism between the Patriots and the Falcons during these last joint practices.  Having never played football, I really don't have a good grasp on how practices are run/enforced.  Are Patriots practices straight up business only, or is it as lackadaisical as the Jets practices are made out to be on HBO??

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from gmbill. Show gmbill's posts

I forgot to mention it's for mature audiences, so you gotta register. lol
    Posted by digger0862

Thanks, and very funny.......I will use my big boy voice

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Payment84. Show Payment84's posts

That is a good question. The Pats run a strict camp and it is all business all the time. The Falcons got called out for having a lot of cool down breaks but that is because it gets real hot down there and no as much in NE. From what  have seen on Hard Knocks and what I have read and seen live and in person over the years at Pats training camps I would say the Pats run a more professional and organized camp. But one thing you cant take away from Rex Ryan is his players want to play for him, they like practicing for him and they would run through a wall for him. Now im not saying that BB does not inspire his team or whatever cause he does but as different as Jets camp is it is good in its on right. Not the same but it works for them.
    Posted by MVPkilla4life

Thanks for the response Killa!

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Tcal2. Show Tcal2's posts

Yeah, their F**kin great......I seen so on HBO.

Sections
Shortcuts