What I Like About This Years D

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from anonymis. Show anonymis's posts

What I Like About This Years D

It's been something that many people have been complaining about for some time now. Whether it was the pass rush or pass coverage, the Patriots were doing poorly in some playoff games because they simply could not stop the team. 

The points against crept up, red zone defense went down, and pass coverage was close to being the worst in the NFL. It seemed that we were merely missing 2-4 players to help with pass coverage and pass rush.

Finally, Talib was enough to get back to being a better defense. Most fans weren't asking for shut down, most were simply asking for better; especially when it came to the passing game.

The D had two consecutive 3-and-outs vs. Saints during the most crucial part of the game.

I hope there's more of that where it came from. 

2004                2012                2013

Pt. Against                   1                      9                      4

Run                              4                      9                      24

Pass                             15                    29                    13

Takeaway/Giveaway   2                      1                      3

Red Zone D                 7                      24                    8

More than happy to give up some running yards in lieu of better pass coverage and better red zone D.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from ghostofjri37. Show ghostofjri37's posts

Re: What I Like About This Years D

They are doing a better job of getting off the field on 3rd downs. As long as they can keep that number in the mid to low 30% they will have a very good D.

2010  47%

2011 43%

2012  40%

2013  36%

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

I love the direction this team is heading. I'm a little worried about the run D without Wilfork in there but love the direction it's heading. Just wondering why it took so long to rebuild it (lets face it we've been rebuilding since 08-09' time frame) and if it will be all for not if they can't find a Wilfork replacement sooner rather than later (he's getting older) and if we can't resign Talib (lets face it he's the reason our secondary had a huge jump this year)

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsLifer. Show PatsLifer's posts

Agree Eng. Love how the D is playing. 

PI think the rebuild took a while because we had some misfires in FA and draft. 

Talib is a must sign. He completely changes the secondary. 

Although we are missing Vince and Kelly, I like how vellano and jones are playing. Smaller, quicker dt's and they are making plays. Yes, it exposes our run d in the middle, but might add a more athletic element to our pass D. 

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheTinMan. Show TheTinMan's posts

For me, what I like about the team (not just the D) so far this year:
    In recent years, I kinda got the feeling the Pats played down to the level necessary to win games (yes there were blowouts, but there were plenty of games where they looked like they were coasting, acting as if they could turn it on anytime they wanted--and those games were way too close).

This year, they look like a team that can play up to the level necessary to win.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

In response to PatsLifer's comment:

Agree Eng. Love how the D is playing. 

PI think the rebuild took a while because we had some misfires in FA and draft. 

Talib is a must sign. He completely changes the secondary. 

Although we are missing Vince and Kelly, I like how vellano and jones are playing. Smaller, quicker dt's and they are making plays. Yes, it exposes our run d in the middle, but might add a more athletic element to our pass D. 

I like Vellano and Jones but don't see them as anything more than plug in types of pieces similar to Love and Deadrick. Now of course Vellano and Jones are more of rushers and less about the run than Love and Deadrick but I see them as similar roles. Very good plug and play pieces as #4/5 guys. I'd be very worried about having to use them as sub starters all year though. Who knows maybe Armstead will be the end all solution some think he is but I don't see it. To me he's in the same mold as a Vellano and Jones as a nice piece but not a starting caliber player this year. Kelly I'm concerned with wearing down but if in next off season they spend a high draft pick (round 1-2) on a starting caliber type of player who could eventually take over for Wilfork while keeping Kelly, Jones, Vellano, and we'll see what Armstead does then I feel fairly good about the DT situation. But, I do think getting that bigger body to be a #2/3 DT who could eventually take over for Wilfork is going to be key. Actually given Wilforks foot was a problem before the Atl game I'm wondering if they had someone behind Wilfork this year if they would have given him more time to get it right or if that thing was just a ticking time bomb and no amount of extra rest would have helped.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from agcsbill. Show agcsbill's posts

Imagine if Wilfork was not injured and out for the year??!!  Plus add the Talib issue.  If the D can stay healthy, the formula to win a SB is in place for this year's team.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from anonymis. Show anonymis's posts

In response to ghostofjri37's comment:

They are doing a better job of getting off the field on 3rd downs. As long as they can keep that number in the mid to low 30% they will have a very good D.

2010  47%

2011 43%

2012  40%

2013  36%

thanks for posting.  Sounds good to me.  Things are looking up.  Now if only the offense settles in...

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from anonymis. Show anonymis's posts

In response to agcsbill's comment:

Imagine if Wilfork was not injured and out for the year??!!  Plus add the Talib issue.  If the D can stay healthy, the formula to win a SB is in place for this year's team.

It would be nice to have Wilfork back.  Dunno if BB will find DL help this year or just use what we've got.  Hopefully, BB will add depth to both the OL and DL next year.

If the d can continue to perform like they've been doing during the playoffs....whoo boy

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from 49Patriots. Show 49Patriots's posts

The need Kelly and Armstead to be beast on the interior if we're to have a better defense. Jones and Vellano are looking like suitable back ups.

Sections
Shortcuts