What I saw last night

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

What I saw last night

Not too worried about the score and saw some positives and negatives.....

-Lions DLine is the type a Scar Oline struggles against. Exposed why Wendell is a good C, but struggles against size. A healthy Cannon would have been something to see how he has progressed. If healthy, I am starting to like Cannon starting beside Wendell. 

-I can't criticize Thompkins. He is showing well. I wish he was a step to a step and a half faster. 

-the pluses and minuses were on full display with the WR's last night. I certainly like these guys but Amendola, Edelman and Gronk getting regular snaps while the rookies mature will make TB happy

-I still don't see it with Adrian Wilson. every thing I saw in camp with his loss of speed is showing in games. Was also in poor position on a few missed tackles. 

-DLine looks great, but more depth is needed, which we all have been saying for the past month. 

-Not making excuses, but Boldens fumble was on a pass that he caught around the side of his helmet, bobbling the ball for a second and not securing it quick enough. He showed good hands catching it. I am not concerned with him. I prefer him healthy and fresh, and like him on the team. I don't think Blount showed well....his tip toeing on the goal line was the complaint about him his entire career. 

-also not worried about Mallett if called upon. 

-are the Lions the dumbest team anyone has seen the past few years? 

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from dwhite1220. Show dwhite1220's posts

Re: What I saw last night

In response to rkarp's comment:

-Lions DLine is the type a Scar Oline struggles against. Exposed why Wendell is a good C, but struggles against size. A healthy Cannon would have been something to see how he has progressed. If healthy, I am starting to like Cannon starting beside Wendell. 

-I can't criticize Thompkins. He is showing well. I wish he was a step to a step and a half faster. 

-the pluses and minuses were on full display with the WR's last night. I certainly like these guys but Amendola, Edelman and Gronk getting regular snaps while the rookies mature will make TB happy

-I still don't see it with Adrian Wilson. every thing I saw in camp with his loss of speed is showing in games. Was also in poor position on a few missed tackles. 

-DLine looks great, but more depth is needed, which we all have been saying for the past month. 

-Not making excuses, but Boldens fumble was on a pass that he caught around the side of his helmet, bobbling the ball for a second and not securing it quick enough. He showed good hands catching it. I am not concerned with him. I prefer him healthy and fresh, and like him on the team. I don't think Blount showed well....his tip toeing on the goal line was the complaint about him his entire career. 

Other than the Raiders !

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from crazyworldoftroybrown. Show crazyworldoftroybrown's posts

Was at work saw the score laughed, Preseason. Been watching Football now for almost 50 years, and never take it serious. 

Wins or Losses.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from TFB12. Show TFB12's posts

What I saw last night was a team who played flat, had no emotion and had no heart.  This team took several steps backwards last night to a not very good Lions team.  Discouraging.  I am a Spikes fan but I was very disappointed in how he looked last night.  I was hoping he was working on his own to improve his speed and quickness.  I guess not.  Adrian Wilson played the whole game and did nothing against 1's, 2's and 3's.  I could go on and on with who played bad but I would have to cover the entire team.

---------------------------------------------

"Being the best doesn't mean you always win. It just means you win more than anybody else."  Text received by Tom Brady from Kurt Warner after Ravens loss.

view my Patriots photoshops at patsfanfotoshop.tumblr.com

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from TFB12. Show TFB12's posts

In response to crazyworldoftroybrown's comment:

Was at work saw the score laughed, Preseason. Been watching Football now for almost 50 years, and never take it serious. 

Wins or Losses.

Well you need to see the game.  So many players were exposed last night. It was very ugly. Preseason or not, just plain ugly.  Not going to have a very good feeling when they have to play a physical type this season.  Like I said, they had no heart last night.  That's what bothers me the most. 

6. This post has been removed.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from TripleOG. Show TripleOG's posts

Is this because you said last week Dobson was better? The guy is undrafted and has already been more impressive than other WR drafted by BB! He has legit NFL speed. His moves at the line negate any lack of elite speed that u may think he needs. That sounds live a very lukewarm assesment of a great pickup who could end up saving this offense. His suddeness at the line is already Pro level. Week 3, u run what u would reg. season and its telling that he is ahead of both draft picks. Its not because A.D. and J.B. arent good, its because KT is that much better. Brady likes him and he is the # 1 IMO until someone takes him out or he is injured. He is Chad Johnson with Brandon Marshalls route running. Speed wont be an issue. he continued to beat his man over the top. Other than I agree with your asessments.

Now you see why I was worried about A.W.? I mean what are we gonna do now. he was signed for 3 years so I know they were counting on him.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

too me, it was obvious in the first quarter the Pats did not have the mind set to win the game last night. this is where leadership comes in. Brady was in guys faces from what I could see. Mankins semed more intent to push and shove Lions rather than get his OL to start winning the LOS battle...

Vince and Mao didnt play at all (Vince) or much (Mayo), so it was a good opportunity for McCourty or Wilson to step up and get the teams head back into the game....didnt see it happen however 

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

In response to TripleOG's comment:

Are you serious? Is this because you said last week Dobson was better? The guy is undrafted and has already been more impressive than other WR drafted by BB! He has legit NFL speed. His moves at the line negate any lack of elite speed that u think he needs. That sounds live a very lukewarm assesment of a great pickup who could end up saving this offense. His suddeness at the line is already Pro level. Week 3, u run what u would reg. season and its telling that he is ahead of both draft picks. Its not because A.D. and J.B. arent good, its because KT is that much better. Brady likes him and he is the # 1 IMO until someone takes him out or he is injured. He is Chad Johnson with Brandon Marshalls route running. Speed wont be an issue. he continued to beat his man over the top. Other than I agree with your asessments.

Now you see why I was worried about A.W.? I mean what are we gonna do now. he was signed for 3 years so I know they were counting on him.

I thought 2 over the top catches should have been scores...not a step out of bounds. I think Amendola, Edelman, Boyce and Dobson score on those plays...Thompkins didnt...

Also, I didnt say Dobson or Boyce were better. I thought they had more upside. Thompkins IMO is already playing close to his ceiling...Dobson and Boyve only scratched the surface...will be interesting to see in December where they stand...today, Thompkins certainly is higher up the depth chart.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from ATJ. Show ATJ's posts

Have no real quarrel with rkarp's assessment.  I texted to a friend of mine after the taunting flag that the Lions D players are just plain dumb.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from TFB12. Show TFB12's posts

I think Thompkins is on his way to being the Best receiver on the team, if he isn't already.  He can go inside, he can go outside, he can get seperation.  He might not have faster 40 times compared to Dobson or Boyce but he looks a lot fast then any other Patriots receiver out on the field.  He kept the pace last night.  I am excited about this kid.  Only one who was there to play last night. 

---------------------------------------------

"Being the best doesn't mean you always win. It just means you win more than anybody else."  Text received by Tom Brady from Kurt Warner after Ravens loss.

view my Patriots photoshops at patsfanfotoshop.tumblr.com

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from TripleOG. Show TripleOG's posts

In response to TripleOG's comment:

Are you serious? Is this because you said last week Dobson was better? The guy is undrafted and has already been more impressive than other WR drafted by BB! He has legit NFL speed. His moves at the line negate any lack of elite speed that u think he needs. That sounds live a very lukewarm assesment of a great pickup who could end up saving this offense. His suddeness at the line is already Pro level. Week 3, u run what u would reg. season and its telling that he is ahead of both draft picks. Its not because A.D. and J.B. arent good, its because KT is that much better. Brady likes him and he is the # 1 IMO until someone takes him out or he is injured. He is Chad Johnson with Brandon Marshalls route running. Speed wont be an issue. he continued to beat his man over the top. Other than I agree with your asessments.

I thought 2 over the top catches should have been scores...not a step out of bounds. I think Amendola, Edelman, Boyce and Dobson score on those plays...Thompkins didnt...

Also, I didnt say Dobson or Boyce were better. I thought they had more upside. Thompkins IMO is already playing close to his ceiling...Dobson and Boyve only scratched the surface...will be interesting to see in December where they stand...today, Thompkins certainly is higher up the depth chart.

I wouldnt attribute those plays to lack of speed. I would call it running out of bounds because its preseason and why get knocked out for 2 more yards. The other pass carried him towards the sideline and so he went out. Could he have tiptoed and stayed in>? Maybe but I think thats nitpicking and more precaution than anything. You must have hated B.Lloyd. He is much better. All im saying is, least of our worries. he is a surprise and a welcome site. Dobson has more upside. Boyce to me is a nice weapon but he cant do what KT does. He is like the Packers guy, the return man they made a WR. Nice weapon, but never gonna be a #1. Next year if Dobson progresses, I would say he SHOULD be the # 1 and then KT will beat Cbs silly on the other side as a legit # 2

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from stan17. Show stan17's posts

Low compete level all around on both sides of the ball. What did stand out was how bad Thompkins wants to be a go to guy and not just make this team.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

In response to russgriswold's comment:

Zipped through the game this morning on DVR. Clearly, not much there to look at as they laid an egg there 2 years ago in Detroit's Super Bowl and then NE went 13-3...But...

The best news? Tebow didn't play. Bye bye Tebow.

I never would have wasted the time in the first place.  Mallett needs as many reps as possible anyway.

Best players:

Thompkins and Nink

That's about it from what I saw. No energy, no comepete level, etc. You just knew Detroit would be up for this as a measuring stick situation and the Pats didn't come close to matching.

Nice teaching time for BB. Blast em in the film room and then see who shines in the last preseason game early on. 

exactly...this is a meaningless bump in the road..I actually think BB likes to lose a preseason game so he can bring the team back to reality and stop reading the press clippings.

I expect next week to be pretty much a nothing game, and would assume the Pats dominate the BIlls week 1

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

actually, what surprised me the most about last nights game, was how dumb Schwartz's team plays, and he is a disciple of BB's....I thought more of Schwartz, but he has put up with it for too long...

for those that are critical of BB the GM...IMO this is what happens when thecoach does not have full and final say on personel...

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

Zipped through the game this morning on DVR. Clearly, not much there to look at as they laid an egg there 2 years ago in Detroit's Super Bowl and then NE went 13-3...But...

I never would have wasted the time in the first place.  Mallett needs as many reps as possible anyway.

Best players:

Thompkins and Nink

That's about it from what I saw. No energy, no comepete level, etc. You just knew Detroit would be up for this as a measuring stick situation and the Pats didn't come close to matching.

Nice teaching time for BB. Blast em in the film room and then see who shines in the last preseason game early on. 

exactly...this is a meaningless bump in the road..I actually think BB likes to lose a preseason game so he can bring the team back to reality and stop reading the press clippings.

I expect next week to be pretty much a nothing game, and would assume the Pats dominate the BIlls week 1

Wow. A logical, non trollish post from you. Clearly, he didn't want to go in there and look like that, but I also think what you just said has some merit.

Schwartz worked for BB and is friendly with BB. Clearly, he's in there telling his team this is a measuring stick game, blah blah, blah, and they come out all jacked up and outplay the Pats.

Happened two years ago. BB used nothing and then NE blasted Detroit on national tv on Thanksgiving. There is a method to the madness here. Always is. I still can't figure out guys like Bernard at DT, for example.

The guy may not even make the team at his natural position and he's got him at DT? 

I don't know. THey always say, Game 3 is the one where you play it like it's real. Not here, it's not.  Never is with BB.  He's always keeping the team on its toes, and a lot of it is a way for him to be the coach he is.

These comments have nothing to do with 1:1 battles, fundamentals, etc, either, so no one start trolling and ruining the thread. 

We could pull up every loss they've ever had in preseason when they get blasted in the last 5 years and we'd see the same hilarious handwringing comments the next day just like we're seeing now.

Christ, Flacco had 3 INTs last night vs Carolina in the first half. Their 1st qtr 1s have looked way worse than ours. Bernard Pierce got blown up ni the backfield with a fumble. Translation? Carolina saw the SB champs as a meausring stick game, while Balt didn't show up.  Happens every preseason.

BB will clean this up for Game 4, and then use that game as a tune up for Buffalo and a short week for the home opener for the crappy Jets.

I only call you out when you troll or lie or put words in my mouth that I never said...if you write something meaningful or of substance, there is no need for me to call you out

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from TFB12. Show TFB12's posts

Best players:

Thompkins and Nink

Those type of excuses are so old and don't work anymore.  The Lions DB's are horrible, their O line is horrible but they sure looked good against the Pats last night.  I don't even buy the Patriots go vanilla in the preseason excuses anymore.  The Pats have been running the same schemes for so long that every team has tape on them so why play it vanilla during the preseason?    The Pats had no heart last night and that bothers me. 

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from 49Patriots. Show 49Patriots's posts

When was the last time we played a good third preseason game?

19. This post has been removed.

20. This post has been removed.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from DoNotSleepOnThePats. Show DoNotSleepOnThePats's posts

Anyone notice that since Aqib Talib got burned by DeSean Jackson in the first preseason game that he's been terrific?  Glad we re-signed him.

22. This post has been removed.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from TFB12. Show TFB12's posts

I agree that the low compete level isn't good, but you could say the same exact thing when they went up there 2 years ago.

Look, the fact is, teams use the Pats as a measuring stick. We didn't match it. It happens once every preseason and once in the regular season.

You act like you are new to this game or a Pats season.

Other teams may handle it differently for coacing purposes, where a coach may want to instill confidence so they scheme and draw up plays, maybe keep their 1s on all at once much longer than another team, etc.

When has this team not gotten up for games under BB, generally speaking? It's never happened.

No excuse for the 1s lack of compete. I don't disagree there.  But, I knew Detroit would be up with that front 7. Just yesterday you said they sucked.

Pats weren't up, top flight front 7 owns our O Line. Simple.  4 turnovers in the 1st qtr is what loses you games like  this. This was SF last year except it was a regular season game and we came back.

This one, we have 1s that weren't even on the field. Wilfork, Kelly, etc, got what, 1 series?  Did MCCourty even play past the 1st qtr?

Gotta get him tuned up.

Yes, every team plays the Pats like it's their SuperBowl.

No, I never said the Lions D line is bad.  Another lie. Starting early today, aren't ya.  I said the Lions O line is bad and the Lions DB's are bad.  The Pats should be able to throw on them all night and have many sacks.

2011 Lions are probably better then the 2013 Lions and they made the Pats look worse last night then 2011.  That's a bit of a concern.

But again, the lack of heart last night is what bothers me the most.  Is that how they will play when things don't go their way this season? Or will the stand up and fight.  The disrespect from the Lions player to TFB with the taunting call, where was the other Pats players?  Why didn't TFB at least give the dude a few words?  Where is the fight? Where is the heart in this team?  That's what worries me the most watching last night.

24. This post has been removed.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from TFB12. Show TFB12's posts

In response to DoNotSleepOnThePats' comment:

Anyone notice that since Aqib Talib got burned by DeSean Jackson in the first preseason game that he's been terrific?  Glad we re-signed him.

As long as he doesnt have to tackle Reggie Bush.  Man, Bush would have looked good in this Pats offense.

Sections
Shortcuts