What if NE had Percy Harvin?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from joepatsfan111111. Show joepatsfan111111's posts

What if NE had Percy Harvin?

Stories of "What if?" are commonplace in the NFL draft, and one of them connected to the Patriots resurfaced on Thursday at the Super Bowl.

The Patriots owned the 23rd pick in the first round of the 2009 draft, and the way receiver Percy Harvin remembers it, that was one of his two landing spots.

"They had a workout [with me] -- it was two days before the draft," Harvin recalled. "I knew it was either going to be Minnesota or [Bill] Belichick with the next pick. They were actually on the phone trying to trade up and flip-flop. Belichick and [Urban] Meyer have been friends for so long. Belichick visited Florida when Meyer was there, frequently, pretty much every year, so we were familiar with each other. So it came close.”

The Vikings ended up taking Harvin at No. 22 that year. The Patriots then traded down twice -- first from 23 to 26, then from 26 into the second round.

Had Harvin been there at 23, might things have been different?

Patriots' 2009 draft picks
    2a. Patrick Chung, safety
    2b. Ron Brace, defensive tackle
    2c. Darius Butler, cornerback
    2d. Sebastian Vollmer, offensive tackle
    3a. Brandon Tate, receiver
    3b. Tyrone McKenzie, linebacker
    4. Rich Ohrnberger, offensive line
    5. George Bussey, offensive line
    6a. Jake Ingram, long snapper
    6b. Myron Pryor, defensive tackle
    7a. Julian Edelman, wide receiver
    7b. Darryl Richard, defensive tackle

This wasn't one of the stronger drafts for Bill Belichick and his personnel staff. The decisive hits were Vollmer and Edelman, and also landing undrafted free-agent quarterback Brian Hoyer (now with the Browns). Outside of Vollmer and Edelman, no other draft picks are on the current roster.

http://espn.go.com/blog/boston/new-england-patriots/post/_/id/4758407/what-might-have-been-with-percy-harvin

my thought:

say Harvin did drop to 23.. I think we win SB 46. he could have made another threat out there as Gronk was hobbled when Brady tossed that god awful pick downfield.

if harvin is in that game game there are more explosive plays and break away plays.

too bad..

2. This post has been removed.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from joepatsfan111111. Show joepatsfan111111's posts

Re: What if NE had Percy Harvin?

In response to DeadAhead2's comment:
    [QUOTE]

I don't know. This guy couldn't even get out of the airport in Atlanta to get to Minneapolis to sign his rookie deal without puking in the bathroom due to his apparent migraine problems.  Also, he's injury prone.

A 1st rd pick like that would have been a bust for us and it would just make the BBW Guild more insufferable.

Minny fleeced Seattle in that trade, too. Mercy.

[/QUOTE]

agreed, very injury prone but electric when healthy.

agree as well that Minny fleeced SEA

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from wonderdrums. Show wonderdrums's posts

I think Harvin is a great player too. He's a difference maker as a receiver and on special teams.  The knock on the guy is the same as with Gronkowski and Amendola, he's always injured. 

My other thought on this is that BB probably wouldn't have drafted a WR in the first round because the money a WR would have commanded wouldnt have been the Patriot way. In todays draft, with the rookie pay scale, maybe BB would draft a skill position player. Personally I hope BB never drafts a WR or DB again, but if he does they must have a minimum height requirement.........lets say 6'2"! Hehe. Go Pats. 

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from harleyroadking1. Show harleyroadking1's posts

he be on IR like everybody else

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bostonman1025. Show Bostonman1025's posts

In response to joepatsfan111111's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Stories of "What if?" are commonplace in the NFL draft, and one of them connected to the Patriots resurfaced on Thursday at the Super Bowl.

The Patriots owned the 23rd pick in the first round of the 2009 draft, and the way receiver Percy Harvin remembers it, that was one of his two landing spots.

"They had a workout [with me] -- it was two days before the draft," Harvin recalled. "I knew it was either going to be Minnesota or [Bill] Belichick with the next pick. They were actually on the phone trying to trade up and flip-flop. Belichick and [Urban] Meyer have been friends for so long. Belichick visited Florida when Meyer was there, frequently, pretty much every year, so we were familiar with each other. So it came close.”

The Vikings ended up taking Harvin at No. 22 that year. The Patriots then traded down twice -- first from 23 to 26, then from 26 into the second round.

Had Harvin been there at 23, might things have been different?

Patriots' 2009 draft picks
    2a. Patrick Chung, safety
    2b. Ron Brace, defensive tackle
    2c. Darius Butler, cornerback
    2d. Sebastian Vollmer, offensive tackle
    3a. Brandon Tate, receiver
    3b. Tyrone McKenzie, linebacker
    4. Rich Ohrnberger, offensive line
    5. George Bussey, offensive line
    6a. Jake Ingram, long snapper
    6b. Myron Pryor, defensive tackle
    7a. Julian Edelman, wide receiver
    7b. Darryl Richard, defensive tackle

This wasn't one of the stronger drafts for Bill Belichick and his personnel staff. The decisive hits were Vollmer and Edelman, and also landing undrafted free-agent quarterback Brian Hoyer (now with the Browns). Outside of Vollmer and Edelman, no other draft picks are on the current roster.

http://espn.go.com/blog/boston/new-england-patriots/post/_/id/4758407/what-might-have-been-with-percy-harvin

my thought:

say Harvin did drop to 23.. I think we win SB 46. he could have made another threat out there as Gronk was hobbled when Brady tossed that god awful pick downfield.

if harvin is in that game game there are more explosive plays and break away plays.

too bad..

[/QUOTE]

I have to disagree, if your looking to call out Bill on a missed opportunity then look in 2010. He drafted McCourty, which is a great pick but they traded down twice and those picks turned into Pro-Bowl WR... Demaryius Thomas and Dez Bryant... Forget Harvin, could you image if Thomas was on our side two weeks ago instead of on Denver, the story would be a whole lot different. 

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Footballexpert45. Show Footballexpert45's posts

What if the Pats hadn't traded down and grabbed Hakim Nicks, Clay Matthews, Vontae Davis, or even Kenny Britt.  All were available for the Pats, but they traded down for "Value".  But that list of Pats 2009 draft doesn't have much value in it.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from joepatsfan111111. Show joepatsfan111111's posts

In response to Bostonman1025's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

I have to disagree, if your looking to call out Bill on a missed opportunity then look in 2010. He drafted McCourty, which is a great pick but they traded down twice and those picks turned into Pro-Bowl WR... Demaryius Thomas and Dez Bryant... Forget Harvin, could you image if Thomas was on our side two weeks ago instead of on Denver, the story would be a whole lot different. 

[/QUOTE]

how am i looking to call out BB here? the article is posing a "what if" Harvin went 22 and we picked 23 that year.

Reiss was saying how if Harvin had fallen Harvin could be in NE now and imo we could have a 4th SB as well from it.

Its the way the board falls sometimes.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bostonman1025. Show Bostonman1025's posts

If you only want to stay in 2009 then look in the third round pick 83, we selected Brandon Tate and the next pick at 84, Mike Wallace... 

What's even more is that we took the wrong Oregon Safety and should have went with Jarius Byrd and instead of Brace and Butler, I think LeSean McCoy would have been a better pick up. 

I am not one of those remove Bill fans either. I respect him in all facets, he has done a great job here, it is truly Hall of Fame like, but if your looking to make it seem as though he made a mistake you should look at the picks around the picks he's made. 

10. This post has been removed.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bostonman1025. Show Bostonman1025's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

how am i looking to call out BB here? the article is posing a "what if" Harvin went 22 and we picked 23 that year.

Reiss was saying how if Harvin had fallen Harvin could be in NE now and imo we could have a 4th SB as well from it.

[/QUOTE]

My fault. I did not understand you. On here there is a lot of "fans" that look to bad just look to bad mouth Bill over nonesense. 

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bostonman1025. Show Bostonman1025's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Mike is great. Had a chance to meet him a few times in person. Very down to earth and gives you a straight answer. 

I think I got lost in my rant about how much I really don't think Harvin is as special as people make him out to be. He is good but he is always hurt. He would be a match up nightmare for teams like Hernandez, Gronkowski and to a lesser extent Vereen but they are all never on the field. 

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from joepatsfan111111. Show joepatsfan111111's posts

[QUOTE] 

I think I got lost in my rant about how much I really don't think Harvin is as special as people make him out to be. He is good but he is always hurt. He would be a match up nightmare for teams like Hernandez, Gronkowski and to a lesser extent Vereen but they are all never on the field. 

[/QUOTE]

I agree that Harvin may be a little over rated and cant stay healthy.

But i also think he would thrive in a sytem like ours.

Imagine Harvin, Welker & Hernandez in SB 46 instead of a maybe 50% Gronk, Welk, Herna and Branch. I think we win with the first group. so many mismatches there.

but yes, Gronk and Vereen need to stay healthy next year so the offense can reach its full potential, but honestly both havent had an injury free season in their careers so I'm not expecting it

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from NYPatsFan12. Show NYPatsFan12's posts

mark my words bb is gunna nail it on this draft and just draft straight studs every guy down the list hall of famer. 

down with tfb12

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from joepatsfan111111. Show joepatsfan111111's posts

In response to NYPatsFan12's comment:
    [QUOTE]

mark my words bb is gunna nail it on this draft and just draft straight studs every guy down the list hall of famer. 

down with tfb12

[/QUOTE]

if BB gets a draft class similar to the talents of 2010 and the team can stay relatively healthy next season i would go as far as saying SB favorites

16. This post has been removed.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from joepatsfan111111. Show joepatsfan111111's posts

agree. next year our LB core will be best in the NFL

Collins, Mayo and Hightower. jesus it already sounds beautiful. Hightower back to his original spot playing alongside an All-Pro will elevate his play. Collins is already a playmaker too. god i cant wait to see them.

if Kelly and VW come comeback effective and Armstead finds the field or we draft a stuf DT the whole front seven will be top 3 in the NFL no doubt.

the big question imo is getting a STRONG safety and get Gregory off this team. only complaint. defense willl be alot better with an actual NFL safety beside DMC.

and obviously Talib needs to come back or another CB of that level. we could use another CB in the draft too.

pretty much if the defense can stay healthy next year we are talking Top 5 defense no doubt

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bostonman1025. Show Bostonman1025's posts

[QUOTE]

agree. next year our LB core will be best in the NFL

Collins, Mayo and Hightower. jesus it already sounds beautiful. Hightower back to his original spot playing alongside an All-Pro will elevate his play. Collins is already a playmaker too. god i cant wait to see them.

if Kelly and VW come comeback effective and Armstead finds the field or we draft a stuf DT the whole front seven will be top 3 in the NFL no doubt.

the big question imo is getting a STRONG safety and get Gregory off this team. only complaint. defense willl be alot better with an actual NFL safety beside DMC.

and obviously Talib needs to come back or another CB of that level. we could use another CB in the draft too.

pretty much if the defense can stay healthy next year we are talking Top 5 defense no doubt

[/QUOTE]

I know that the team has a number of questions offensively but I would like to see them invest in the defense in the draft other than possibly drafting another TE, Eric Ebron would be a perfect fit to replace the hole left by Hernandez' departure. An athletic TE that can be a match-up nightmare. On the defense, Tuitt, who could be like Seymour, and Pryor who has Rodney-esque terror. It would allow them to disguise the 4-3 as a 3-4. With the addition of Tuitt he can kick it inside or outside, you can stand Jones up and give the offense fits. Pryor's physicality speaks for itself. 

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from joepatsfan111111. Show joepatsfan111111's posts

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

I know that the team has a number of questions offensively but I would like to see them invest in the defense in the draft other than possibly drafting another TE, Eric Ebron would be a perfect fit to replace the hole left by Hernandez' departure. An athletic TE that can be a match-up nightmare. On the defense, Tuitt, who could be like Seymour, and Pryor who has Rodney-esque terror. It would allow them to disguise the 4-3 as a 3-4. With the addition of Tuitt he can kick it inside or outside, you can stand Jones up and give the offense fits. Pryor's physicality speaks for itself. 

[/QUOTE]

I dont think there is a chance Ebron is around come #29.

Jace Amaro, Troy Niklas and Austin Seferian Jenkins are all good TE option from late Rd. 1 -Rd.2. Amaro is more a receiving TE while the other two are better inline TEs

I would take RaShede Hageman or Aaron Donald over Tuitt given the chance in round 1.

We could fill the DL all over the board in this draft. Rd. 2 Daquan Jones or even Dominque Easley are good options.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from garytx. Show garytx's posts

One would have to assume that Harvin would be heathly for the playoffs.  I would have assumed that Gronk would have been around for at least one these last three years.  In the end Harvin would have moved on because of money and he would have gotten it too.  

Get me a DT and a SS for the defense.  Get a TE and a OL for the offense.  Try to get a good WR by FA some how.  I think these things are doable.  The Pats would be sitting pretty good going into next year.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from ghostofjri37. Show ghostofjri37's posts

IF NE had Percy Harvin a big percentage of posters on this board would be screaming that he was a wasted draft pick because has only played in 10 games over the last 2 years.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from NoMorePensionLooting. Show NoMorePensionLooting's posts

Boy....we coulda done some damage with him this year.....for 3.5 mil he played one game and had one catch for Seattle....1 catch for 3.5 million.....let alone the lost draft picks...1st, 3rd and a 7th.....how would those picks have worked out?

And you have no belief that going forward he's ever going to work out. The laws of probability dictate that he will not.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from pcmIV. Show pcmIV's posts

In response to ghostofjri37's comment:

IF NE had Percy Harvin a big percentage of posters on this board would be screaming that he was a wasted draft pick because has only played in 10 games over the last 2 years.

This.  People complain about Gronk who has played more games, was a lower draft pick and is a better player.  Harvin would be a wasted pick according to some of the resident experts here.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from NoMorePensionLooting. Show NoMorePensionLooting's posts

In response to pcmIV's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to ghostofjri37's comment:

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

This.  People complain about Gronk who has played more games, was a lower draft pick and is a better player.  Harvin would be a wasted pick according to some of the resident experts here.

[/QUOTE]

If you traded a 1st, 3rd and a 7th and got one game/one catch how would you rate that value?

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from joepatsfan111111. Show joepatsfan111111's posts

Percy has als oplayed 3 season with 15,14 and 16 games.

he had the bad ankle last year (similar to what Roddy white dealt with this year, just hampered him all year) and had the hip this year...

i wouldnt totally say he's injury prone

Sections
Shortcuts