What Info Does Anyone Have on Browner's Experience at Safety?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from ATJ. Show ATJ's posts

What Info Does Anyone Have on Browner's Experience at Safety?

I continue to see numerous references in this forum regarding Browner playing SS for the Pats in certain situations or perhaps as a starter at that position.  I can find no reference (I've looked) to Browner playing the position even in college. 

Does anyone have any indication that Browner has ever played Safety either in college, in the CFL or for Seattle?  Or is the reference to him playing that position an assumption based on his size?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from pcmIV. Show pcmIV's posts

Re: What Info Does Anyone Have on Browner's Experience at Safety?

In response to ATJ's comment:

Or is the reference to him playing that position an assumption based on his size?

This.  Personally I think it's crazy.  The guy is a corner.  He is going to play corner.  Most of the time we are in sub packages anyways so idk why people think we have too many corners.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

[QUOTE]

I continue to see numerous references in this forum regarding Browner playing SS for the Pats in certain situations or perhaps as a starter at that position.  I can find no reference (I've looked) to Browner playing the position even in college. 

Does anyone have any indication that Browner has ever played Safety either in college, in the CFL or for Seattle?  Or is the reference to him playing that position an assumption based on his size?

[/QUOTE]

Basically this and the fact we have no SS with his size and ability to hit people. Really I truely believe he will stay as a CB which then pushes Arrington down to the 5th CB position. Something's got to give and they can't cut Arrington, however, since Arrington is a good run defend and can cover in the box there might be a chance they try to make him a FS/SS hybrid in camp (given our lack of depth at that position) which plays into his natural abilities (think Tebucky Jones role) and he'd be an emergency CB which would make sense as a 5th CB that gives them flexibility

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bustify. Show Bustify's posts

The more I think of it, the more I think he will stay at corner. A combination of Revis, Browner, Dennard, Ryan, and Arrington as the 5th CB? That is A LOT of depth.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from CablesWyndBairn. Show CablesWyndBairn's posts

Among his supposed best assets from scouting reports I've read say that he is good at jamming receivers at the LOS.  Seems playing him at S would detract from his strengths.  I have no doubt BB will put his strengths to goods use opposite Revis.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from glenr. Show glenr's posts

Only in an injury driven emergency. The guy is a CB and he should stay one. We've needed a big corner to defend the lob to the corner of the end zone and the sideline for a while. He's also big enough to cover a tight end.

Whether or not he can stay away from getting suspended again for substance violations is the bigger question for me.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

I think he's the CB opposite Revis once he returns from suspension with Ryan, Dennard and Aarington duking it out for nickel and dime responsibilities... overall, they have some really good depth at the position.

I also think PE's idea of Aarington getting some looks at S is a good one.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from glenr. Show glenr's posts

In response to mbeaulieu07's comment:

I think he's the CB opposite Revis once he returns from suspension with Ryan, Dennard and Aarington duking it out for nickel and dime responsibilities... overall, they have some really good depth at the position.

The more important question is whether or not he has the brains and patience to play safety. He's a hard hitter but if he's constantly out of position it doesn't matter. We've been through this before.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from 49Patriots. Show 49Patriots's posts

Because Dennard is a better cover corner than him (Dennard's height is his downfall most times) and it would've been a waste to pay him 6 mill to play CB when 6 mill gets you a pretty good Safety.

Also, what proof did we have that McCourty could play FS until he was moved there and excelled (contrary to what Babe and others believe, he's a top 5 safety and has been in the running for All-Pro the last two seasons.). I'm sorry, but a guy that's 6'4 225 pounds, great run defender, read zones well, great tackler, and a great jammer at the line, but above average coverge ability(for a CB, he would be the best cover SS in the league) is a SS, not a CB.

Just like McCourty's intellect, speed, ability to decipher plays and range made him a potential great FS. BB can play him at CB, I wouldn't question him, he's BB, but a SS is what this man should play.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

In response to glenr's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to mbeaulieu07's comment:

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

The more important question is whether or not he has the brains and patience to play safety. He's a hard hitter but if he's constantly out of position it doesn't matter. We've been through this before.

[/QUOTE]

He seems to perform better when the the action is in front of him and he's able to read/react.  Where he struggles is when he has to turn and run in coverage... get's lost or spun and receivers are able to seperate.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from ATJ. Show ATJ's posts

In response to 49Patriots' comment:
    [QUOTE]

Because Dennard is a better cover corner than him (Dennard's height is his downfall most times) and it would've been a waste to pay him 6 mill to play CB when 6 mill gets you a pretty good Safety.

Also, what proof did we have that McCourty could play FS until he was moved there and excelled (contrary to what Babe and others believe, he's a top 5 safety and has been in the running for All-Pro the last two seasons.). I'm sorry, but a guy that's 6'4 225 pounds, great run defender, read zones well, great tackler, and a great jammer at the line, but above average coverge ability(for a CB, he would be the best cover SS in the league) is a SS, not a CB.

Just like McCourty's intellect, speed, ability to decipher plays and range made him a potential great FS. BB can play him at CB, I wouldn't question him, he's BB, but a SS is what this man should play.

[/QUOTE]

That seems to be a widely held opinion on this board.  That's why I asked the question. Thus far, the answer to the question is "No such info exists because he's never played the position." 

Whether or not he actually can play the position is a different question altogether.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from pcmIV. Show pcmIV's posts

Christopher Price @cpriceNFL 23m

Asked Browner about possibility of playing safety--said they haven’t talked to him about playing safety. Here to play corner.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

In response to pcmIV's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Christopher Price @cpriceNFL 23m

Asked Browner about possibility of playing safety--said they haven’t talked to him about playing safety. Here to play corner.

[/QUOTE]

To emphize that rotoworld report

Brandon Browner confirmed he will play cornerback in New England.

Some observers speculated that teams might envision Browner at safety before free agency, ostensibly due to his size (6'4/221), but he is a straight-line player without hip fluidity and would be stretched mightily in "center field." Browner is a pure press corner who figures to man up with No. 2 receivers in Foxboro, while Darrelle Revis chases No. 1s and Kyle Arrington takes the slot.   http://www.rotoworld.com/player/nfl/6512/brandon-browner  

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from ATJ. Show ATJ's posts

Well, as we used to say in the old outfit, there-y'are.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from wonderdrums. Show wonderdrums's posts

Browner came out and said he'd be playing similar to what he did in NE. He says he playing corner, man coverage. Honestly I'm all for letting him try. Having two physical 6'+ corners is something we've ALL wanted to see here for years. 

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2014/03/17/brandon-browner-says-his-play-wont-change-in-new-england/

I agree the Pats do need an enforcer type safety. What's everyone's take on Ryan Clark? I don't know much about Clark other than he likes to lay big hits on players. Does he have anything to offer NE?

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from wonderdrums. Show wonderdrums's posts

I meant similar to Seattle. My bad

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

Yesterday, someone was saying he might play LB, which made me joke that, if he continues on this trajectory from CB to SS to LB, by the end of the month he'll be pegged as a NT and will be replacing Vince Wilfork.  

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

In response to prolate0spheroid's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Yesterday, someone was saying he might play LB, which made me joke that, if he continues on this trajectory from CB to SS to LB, by the end of the month he'll be pegged as a NT and will be replacing Vince Wilfork.  

[/QUOTE]

Pro I already have him as the starting RG. He's just that good that he transcended the D, past C and went right to G

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from mellymel3. Show mellymel3's posts

He's not playing safety, he's playing CB....matchups, as always, depend on what BB wants, so I guess anything is possible.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from TrueChamp. Show TrueChamp's posts

I think there is enough documented cases of corner backs turning safety once they hit their 30's and the wheels started to come off. In Browners case we have a unique situation where he has only played in just over 2 seasons worth of NFL football and is turning 30. He also lost his starting CB job for the Super bowl champs last year. To me he started having trouble staying with receivers and with his size and propensity for laying the wood on fools a move to SS or a 2nd FS would make sense. But, yes pure speculation on my part at least.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from TrueChamp. Show TrueChamp's posts

I also feel that Dennard is a better CB then Browner is at this point in time and I think Dennard will be the starting CB all year barring injury. But in this pass heavy league you really need 4 starting CB's depending on the team you are playing. 

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsLifer. Show PatsLifer's posts

In response to 49Patriots' comment:
    [QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

ExactlBut if you look at S on this team we have mccourty, Harmon and Wilson. It would appear we need to add here and as a SS, he would seem to fit the bill.

i get what others are saying here about keeping the action in front of him, but as a safety he could be brought down along the line for this purpose or covering TEs. 

Whatever he plays or whatever we do at s or cb, bb now has many options for how he defends the passing game. He can use all of these guys strengths based on opponent.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bradysgirlforreal. Show Bradysgirlforreal's posts

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

He said he was signed to play CB.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from ATJ. Show ATJ's posts

In response to Bradysgirlforreal's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

He said he was signed to play CB.

[/QUOTE]

Yep.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from OnlyDaTruth. Show OnlyDaTruth's posts

In response to pcmIV's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

Or is the reference to him playing that position an assumption based on his size?

[/QUOTE]

This.  Personally I think it's crazy.  The guy is a corner.  He is going to play corner.  Most of the time we are in sub packages anyways so idk why people think we have too many corners.

[/QUOTE]

haven't really watched much of Browner. Altho I've heard he can play safety, he needs a sideline to work with - so, would be better as a corner.