What Info Does Anyone Have on Browner's Experience at Safety?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

Re: What Info Does Anyone Have on Browner's Experience at Safety?

In response to PatsEng's comment:

In response to prolate0spheroid's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Yesterday, someone was saying he might play LB, which made me joke that, if he continues on this trajectory from CB to SS to LB, by the end of the month he'll be pegged as a NT and will be replacing Vince Wilfork.  

Pro I already have him as the starting RG. He's just that good that he transcended the D, past C and went right to G

[/QUOTE]

Hah . . . those must have been some darn good PEDs he took!  If I were Brady, I'd be worried . . .

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

One other thing to keep in mind.  With two excellent corners and a good safety in McCourty, one safety who's weaker in coverage won't be quite the same liability.  When the corners and McCourty can shut down receivers without a lot of help, the strong safety can concentrate a bit more on TEs and RBs.  All of a sudden, a guy like Tavon Wilson may find a place to contribute next year.  If Collins really does turn out to be as good in coverage as he flashed toward the end of the season, you also have more help from the LBs.  So the mix of players we've got may make the need for that dominating SS less acute. 

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from ghostofjri37. Show ghostofjri37's posts

[QUOTE]

One other thing to keep in mind.  With two excellent corners and a good safety in McCourty, one safety who's weaker in coverage won't be quite the same liability.  When the corners and McCourty can shut down receivers without a lot of help, the strong safety can concentrate a bit more on TEs and RBs.  All of a sudden, a guy like Tavon Wilson may find a place to contribute next year.  If Collins really does turn out to be as good in coverage as he flashed toward the end of the season, you also have more help from the LBs.  So the mix of players we've got may make the need for that dominating SS less acute. 

[/QUOTE]

Im starting to think they stand pat at safety. They are  deep and experienced at corner and McCourty will be the guy to communicate the calls. They need a sure tackler and a guy who won't be caught out of position to round out the secondary and i believe Harmon will be that guy. I think T. Wilson and Ebner both make the team as BB values his special teams players and the unit as whole as an important piece of the puzzle.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

In response to ghostofjri37's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Im starting to think they stand pat at safety. They are  deep and experienced at corner and McCourty will be the guy to communicate the calls. They need a sure tackler and a guy who won't be caught out of position to round out the secondary and i believe Harmon will be that guy. I think T. Wilson and Ebner both make the team as BB values his special teams players and the unit as whole as an important piece of the puzzle.

[/QUOTE]

I'm not thinking stand Pat, but I'm not thinking go get a FA either. There's a couple SSs in the mid rounds worth taking a shot over. One being Exum who has high starting potential

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from ghostofjri37. Show ghostofjri37's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

I'm not thinking stand Pat, but I'm not thinking go get a FA either. There's a couple SSs in the mid rounds worth taking a shot over. One being Exum who has high starting potential

[/QUOTE]

Perhaps I am overrating Harmon but i think he is a starting caliber safety in this league... especially with the additions the Pats have made to the secondary. I think you are correct they won't look at a FA safety if they don't have confidence in Harmon they will address it in the draft.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from TrueChamp. Show TrueChamp's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Perhaps I am overrating Harmon but i think he is a starting caliber safety in this league... especially with the additions the Pats have made to the secondary. I think you are correct they won't look at a FA safety if they don't have confidence in Harmon they will address it in the draft.

[/QUOTE]

+1 Harmon at the least deserves a chance to start after turning in a very solid rookie year with over 400 snaps and a positive pff rating.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Harmon, from the little I've seen, I see more as a Sanders type. Good spot starter and and rotational guy in coverage but someone you will be looking to upgrade year in and year out. If they can get a thumper to pair with him I think it would be a good combination. To me Harmon is more of a FS in the end playing a SS role so if they can get a smaller LB (Woodyard would have been perfect oh well) or a larger SS for early downs and against bigger TE's for opponent match ups I think it would go a long way. Don't forget Harmons only 205, a bit small on the bigger back and TE's in the league. Hence why I'm thinking someone like Exum in the 4th 6' 215 who now that he's switched to S could add 10lbs to his frame and is known to be a thumper and good against the run. Or someone like James Morris who's 6'3" 230 who would be a converted LB/SS hybrid and is very effective against the pass (4 ints 3 PD) in the 5th-6th range

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat. Show TexasPat's posts

In response to ATJ's comment:

I continue to see numerous references in this forum regarding Browner playing SS for the Pats in certain situations or perhaps as a starter at that position.  I can find no reference (I've looked) to Browner playing the position even in college. 

Does anyone have any indication that Browner has ever played Safety either in college, in the CFL or for Seattle?  Or is the reference to him playing that position an assumption based on his size?

From everything I've read, Browner is a press CB, and not a SS. Mike Reiss in an article on Browner thinks that he's best suited to play CB. I haven't read that BB necessarily plans to use him at SS. It appears that the SS talk is just idle speculation, at this point: http://espn.go.com/blog/boston/new-england-patriots/post/_/id/4760380/browner-bits-from-conference-call?ex_cid=espnapi_public; and  http://espn.go.com/blog/boston/new-england-patriots/post/_/id/4760355/scouts-view-brandon-browner

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from proftom2. Show proftom2's posts

Tell you the truth once the play starts I really can't tell who the saftey is. I live on the left coast so I end up watching all the Seahawks games. What I can tell you is he is a game changer. Very hard hitting. After his first big hit, and there are plenty, the crowd gets fired up, and offensive players focus on being where he is not. 

He's not fast, doesn't jumps high, nor is he graceful. He changes the focus and intensity of the game. Diruptive, very distruptive.   

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from ATJ. Show ATJ's posts

In response to TexasPat's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to ATJ's comment:

[QUOTE]

I continue to see numerous references in this forum regarding Browner playing SS for the Pats in certain situations or perhaps as a starter at that position.  I can find no reference (I've looked) to Browner playing the position even in college. 

Does anyone have any indication that Browner has ever played Safety either in college, in the CFL or for Seattle?  Or is the reference to him playing that position an assumption based on his size?

[/QUOTE]

From everything I've read, Browner is a press CB, and not a SS. Mike Reiss in an article on Browner thinks that he's best suited to play CB. I haven't read that BB necessarily plans to use him at SS. It appears that the SS talk is just idle speculation, at this point: http://espn.go.com/blog/boston/new-england-patriots/post/_/id/4760380/browner-bits-from-conference-call?ex_cid=espnapi_public 

[/QUOTE]

TP, that's pretty much everything I've seen as well. 

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from ghostofjri37. Show ghostofjri37's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Harmon, from the little I've seen, I see more as a Sanders type. Good spot starter and and rotational guy in coverage but someone you will be looking to upgrade year in and year out. If they can get a thumper to pair with him I think it would be a good combination. To me Harmon is more of a FS in the end playing a SS role so if they can get a smaller LB (Woodyard would have been perfect oh well) or a larger SS for early downs and against bigger TE's for opponent match ups I think it would go a long way. Don't forget Harmons only 205, a bit small on the bigger back and TE's in the league. Hence why I'm thinking someone like Exum in the 4th 6' 215 who now that he's switched to S could add 10lbs to his frame and is known to be a thumper and good against the run. Or someone like James Morris who's 6'3" 230 who would be a converted LB/SS hybrid and is very effective against the pass (4 ints 3 PD) in the 5th-6th range

[/QUOTE]

Thanks for the info on Exum and Morris it will be inetresting to see where they get drafted and who drafts them.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from wozzy. Show wozzy's posts

Rodney Harrison played cornerback against T.O. in the Super Bowl with over the top help, go back and watch some film, this isn't anything new or revolutionary.  As receivers got bigger and bigger, this was bound to happen.  Seattle just happened to be ahead of the curve, had Adrian Wilson been healthy last year we wouldn't have been far off.

They'll use both Browner and Collins to cancel out tightends and oversized receivers, position has less to do with where he lines up than matchups.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from OnlyDaTruth. Show OnlyDaTruth's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

I'd like to still see the Patriots have a SS that can lay the wood often enough to make opposing players worry.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from khiro822. Show khiro822's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

Yesterday, someone was saying he might play LB, which made me joke that, if he continues on this trajectory from CB to SS to LB, by the end of the month he'll be pegged as a NT and will be replacing Vince Wilfork.  

[/QUOTE]

Pro I already have him as the starting RG. He's just that good that he transcended the D, past C and went right to G

[/QUOTE]

My next door neighbor's barber's cousin said that Browner played some QB in junior high school.  I'm pretty sure he's being brought in to back up Brady so BB can trade Mallet to Houston for the first pick of the draft.  

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

Ghost, Eng, True . . . good points all. 

I tend to think BB is more or less done with DBs this year, though he may bring in some lower cost veterans or late-round/undrafted rookies for camp competition/potential depth.  The exception would be if a DB who BB had rated very high slipped to the Pats in the first few rounds.  Then BB might find it hard to pass up the value.

I do think Harmon could be good enough.  Even if he's a James Sanders type, that could be sufficient with the other guys we've got around him.  Also, we are going to play a lot of five (and even six) DB formations, so that changes the needs a bit.  With Revis, Browner, and McCourty filling three roles, you've got Dennard, Arrington, Harmon, Ryan, and one or both Wilsons available to fill the other two roles.  There may not be a perfect strong safety among those other guys, but that's still a great group to choose from if you're putting 5 DBs on the field.  Add Collins to the mix, plus a big LB like Hightower and a good run stopper like Mayo and I'm not terribly concerned about them being too light. 

With a bit of work on the D line and some depth at LB I really like the make-up of the defense. Sure a Rodney Harrison type would make the secondary amazing, but I think we can live (and live well) with what we've got back there already.