what is a true fan?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from mosseffect43. Show mosseffect43's posts

what is a true fan?

ive been reading all these posts of fans calling out bandwagon fans,to true fans,to standing up.first off please tell me the definition of a real true fan.who here is the perfect fan?is there really a perfect fan?now ive been a fan since 1970.i have road the loseing seasons for many years,and still cheered the team on.since 2001 there was a nice ride.it was great to see a winning franchise.am i spoiled?far from it.are my exspectations high?yes they are,and rightfully so.you wouldnt be a fan if your exspectations are low.we all watch the games,some of us even record them.so we know what is going well,and not.and as a fan we all have the right to express our feelings about our team if something is going well,or isnt going well.rather if we agree,or disagree.it dosent make one fan better then another.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Grogan77. Show Grogan77's posts

Re: what is a true fan?

I would say Moss, a true fan doesn't care how the Pats win, just that they win.  I've heard alot of fans complaining after the Buffalo game because the Pats didn't blow them out or just won on a fluke play.  Real fans stick with their team even if their struggling, I still very excited about this season and I know the Pats will turn things around in no time.  That's the best example of a true fan I can think of right now.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from carawaydj. Show carawaydj's posts

Good post.  It would appear as though some have taken the position that any expression other than "everything is great" makes you a bandwagon fan.  My definitions:

Passionate Fan: Stays with the team in good or bad times.  Freely debates the Pats with co-workers, friends, family, and anyone else who will listen to our speculation.  Supports the team always.  Doesn't have to like everything though.  Questioning and/or debating formations, game plans, players, and so on probably means you are a passionate fan.

Bandwagon Fan: Supports the team when things are going well, abandons the team when things go bad.  These people will disappear in lean times.

Misguided Fan: At week two of the season is calling for BB to get fired, saying the Pats will stink, says Brady is finished, and just otherwise thinking total doom and destruction to the franchise.  Some of these folks are probably real fans, albeit pessimistic as heck.  Some of probably bandwagon fans.

Leon: He spends so much time and effort on this board he should get his own category of fan.  He's just trying to get in touch with his inner Patriot.  He needs us.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Vladtheimpaler1. Show Vladtheimpaler1's posts

A true fan is one who dosent think he is more then another,and respects all fellow fans comments.A true fan sticks by his team through thick,and thin.but also has the right to criticize something that is wrong,but praise all that is right.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from NickC1188. Show NickC1188's posts

They stand and cheer for their team on key defensive downs.  They not only stand.  They stand AND cheer.  Using their voices, their hands, and whatever else is available to make noise.

Or at the very least, they don't complain, try to eject, try to sue, or molest the girlfriend of people who do choose to stand and cheer (like section 111 and 112 at Gillette Country Club).

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Boston-kyle. Show Boston-kyle's posts

great post...everyone has a chance to be heard - ive actually been reading more of these posts since reiss left boston globe. Im more interested in what patriots fans are thinking. if they agree with me or if they dont. If we all agree then its lame. I think the team is in trouble. alot of people agree with me. Alot of people disagree. Am I not a "true fan" for thinking that way? I see a team falling from elite status to still being very good. A status thats been seen before 2001. A fall doesnt happen in one game or two, a fan can see this coming. But a fan also can be optimistic and think we still got a chance. Thats why I come to these posts to read what fans write!

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from 49Patriots. Show 49Patriots's posts

A true fan has hope that their team will win the Lombardi even when they have no chance on paper. They stand by for 16-0 and 0-16. Wagon fans are here for championships and gone at first sign of anything less.   

In a nutshell, Detriot and Oakland have some of the best fans in the NFL. 

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Boston-kyle. Show Boston-kyle's posts

In Response to Re: what is a true fan?:
    A true fan has hope that their team will win the Lombardi even when they have no chance on paper. They stand by for 16-0 and 0-16. Wagon fans are here for championships and gone at first sign of anything less.    In a nutshell, Detriot and Oakland have some of the best fans in the NFL. 
    Posted by 49Patriots

Dude youre rediculous. Lions never won a championship EVER. they got the most pessimistic fans to roam this earth. They have dire hatred for Matt Millen, they continue to think that Barry Sanders will return from retirement. Fans are allowed to be criticize their teams. Hope doesnt do squat. Only helps people like you think that the present is going to get better.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from agcsbill. Show agcsbill's posts

A true fan knows their team is a group of people trying their best to win.  Can cheer the highs, sigh at the lows and simply look forward to another day when things do not go well and improvement is always possible  They don't sing the team's praises only when they win and sing they are trash when they lose.  Doesn't insult fellow fans for their opinion, even the outrageous ones, accepting it for what it is, an opinion.  Relishes the success of their team, be a good sport and not trash the other team and their fans because they are like us, supportive of their team.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from bmartins16. Show bmartins16's posts

I support the team and have supported the team through thick and thin.  If you are not angry by the product that has been put on the field for the last two weeks, particularily the offense, you are brainwashed.  It is easy to say "In Bill We Trust," or the team still has rust.  After the training camp, pre-season games, and two-a-days you would expect something more than this.  Because someone is upset the team has not stepped up they are not a true fan? Galloway, Brady, Moss, Baker, Maroney......they have not played to the level WE expect.  We have a right to be upset because we pay money to go to the games, pay money to buy merchandise, etc.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from bubthegrub2. Show bubthegrub2's posts

I think it's alright to be disappointed by a bad game. Like some have stated, we are the ones paying for tickets and merchandise. But there is a difference between being disappointed, and even pointing out some of the weaknesses, and being outright foolish. Those calling for BB to be fired, Tom to be benched or traded, and even calling out the players for not giving their all are a bit over the line. As some people here have also been lifelong Red Sox fans, I can understand some of the pessimism, to a degree. I imagine being a Lions fan (or a Cardinals fan until last season) must be tough, and come with a bit of pessimism. But the ones who think this team "stinks" or is "done" are speaking with their emotions rather than their brains. We have set such a high standard in our own minds that anything less than perfection has half the fanbase thinking it's the end of the world! All teams have bad days. A lot have bad "spells". It was only one loss, whatever concerns may linger. I remember back in 01 they started out 0-2, and were 5-5 in November. There are a lot of new faces on defense. Six of last year's eleven starters are gone or injured. Tom Brady has missed an entire year, and is still building trust in Baker and Galloway. With 14 games left to go there is plenty of time for them to get it together. And even if they don't, it's not like they're suddenly cellar dwelers! Sure, the Raiders went from a SB appearance to a lousy team in one offseason. But the Patriots don't have Al Davis messing things up like Oakland does. There is plenty of talent here, and if they do not make the playoffs this season they can still improve for the next. So it's OK to discuss the problems. But let's not blow it out of porportion! It's not how you do in September that makes your season. Just ask any Cowboys fan! Back in 07 the fans were saying the same thing about the Giants, fire Coughlin, bench Eli, etc. And we all know (and know very PAINFULLY) how that turned out for them. Both the Colts and Chargers were 3-4 at one point last season. Both made the playoffs. I'm going to try and keep positive, as it's not worth raising my blood pressure over. We still have one of the best coaches and best QBs of all time here in Foxboro. Give them time to get their act together! Like I said, we can discuss the problems, and what we think should be done. But a true fan does not throw in the towel after week two (unless you're a Lions fan, then you've burned the towel many years ago)!

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from TrueChamp. Show TrueChamp's posts

In Response to Re: what is a true fan? : Dude youre rediculous. Lions never won a championship EVER. they got the most pessimistic fans to roam this earth. They have dire hatred for Matt Millen, they continue to think that Barry Sanders will return from retirement. Fans are allowed to be criticize their teams. Hope doesnt do squat. Only helps people like you think that the present is going to get better.
    Posted by Boston-kyle

I think you missed his point. Just because those teams have not had recent success does not mean they do not have true and loyal fans. If you have ever been to a raiders game in Oak I suspect you will come out saying they are the realist fans you will ever see. I wonder if the Pats did not become the team of the decade how many of these nutjobbers would still be fans. I think we all know the answer.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from magicalhobo. Show magicalhobo's posts

All of these are exactly right.

Also, you need to know the players. I was at training camp this year and the comments I heard were ridiculous. They had to look up what number Randy Moss was, and didn't know who Wes Welker was! I couldn't believe I heard, "Who is 83? He's so short! Hahaha! He'll be lucky to make the team."

I remember seeing one of my friends at college wearing an eli jersey after the Giants won the superbowl. She kept making fun of me about it, telling me Brady sucked. I asked her, "Name 5 players on the Giants." Who did I get? Manning and Shockey. She couldn't even name 5 players on the team! Funny thing, she bought that manning jersey that day.

Those aren't true fans. You at least need to know the players.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from dboss. Show dboss's posts

This is an easy question to answer.

A true fan follows and supports the team through good times and bad.  It does not matter if you like the coaching or the players or the schemes.

And being critical should not change your support for the team. 

So with that in mind I consider myself to a a fan of Patriots becasue i have been supporting them since the beginning.  So you know that i have gone though a lot of disappointments over the year.

I guess that is why i have a pretty high level of tolerence and a high degree of optimism with thye team today.    Ultimately I think the franchise is exceptional and we are blessed with one of the greatest coaches ever in the NFL.  And we have an owner that has done a great job managibng the team.  I think the longterm prospects for playing competitive football are anticipated by most fans that really follow the team closely.

dboss

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from boston2nj. Show boston2nj's posts

A true fan sticks by the team and their decisions. It is OK to have an opinion, but at the same time there is a reason someone is an NFL Coach or player and they probably have more information than you do.
    A true fan realizes although these are professional athletes making millions, they are also people and doing a job. Just like us "regular" people they can have a bad day, and when they do they aren't calling for a trade or the firing of a head coach.
    Most all if you can only support a team that is a winner, than you are nothing but a bandwagon fan. If you no nothing about the Pats franchise pre Bob Kraft you are a bandwagon fan.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from mosseffect43. Show mosseffect43's posts

i do agree,asking for BB,and bradys head is a little to much.when i read those,im wondering if they are serious,or just trying to get a rouse out of some people.like haveing 20 posts of the same topic about fans.do we need this many?or are they just trying to get an arousement?

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from prairiemike. Show prairiemike's posts

I don't really know (or care) what a "true" fan is or does, but I do think that, because of the advent of the interwebs, we now have the opportunity (if we like) to view the opinions of all different kinds of fans -- or of ignoring those we deem unworthy of us -- with the simple click of a mouse. These are the kinds of discussions that people of my era would only have in barrooms or at card tables, and one fan who presumed to be better than another fan might actually, physically, have to defend such a statement. Personally, I prefer that.

I run into a good deal of nonsensical blather here in cyberworld (as do we all), but I don't think I'm going too far out on a limb when I say that I dislike the "I'm a better fan than you are because . . . "  thread more than just about anything else.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from NickC1188. Show NickC1188's posts

I don't really know (or care) what a "true" fan is or does, but I do think that, because of the advent of the interwebs, we now have the opportunity (if we like) to view the opinions of all different kinds of fans -- or of ignoring those we deem unworthy of us -- with the simple click of a mouse. These are the kinds of discussions that people of my era would only have in barrooms or at card tables, and one fan who presumed to be better than another fan might actually, physically, have to defend such a statement. Personally, I prefer that. I run into a good deal of nonsensical blather here in cyberworld (as do we all), but I don't think I'm going too far out on a limb when I say that I dislike the "I'm a better fan than you are because . . . "  thread more than just about anything else.
    Posted by prairiemike

I thought the situation was appropriate for people who have followed the team through at least 4 coaches to remind people that the Jets don't get extra credit for the win last Sunday.

And I thought it gave me a decent forum to try to rouse people who go to Patriots games to make more noise than they do, like the Jets fans did on Sunday.

If you have the Miami plow game as your profile picture, then you must remember the rowdy raucousness of the concrete-toilet-bowl-in-the-ground that was Sullivan / Foxboro Stadium.  And you must remember when the fans were able to generate enough noise to force timeouts and mess up the other offense's pre-snap adjustments.  That hasn't happened in 5 years (since the AFC Championship Game against the Colts in January of 2005), and I think it's time for a call to action for Patriots fans.  It's sad when you can cheer for your defense on a key third down without swearing or any sort of violence and have to defend yourself against complaints, then notice that perhaps 1 out of 10 people, and maybe less, are cheering.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from DaMaddHattar. Show DaMaddHattar's posts

Okay, there is one big misconception running through many of these posts.  No one is saying that fans can't be critical about their team.  But being critical and talking about how Brady is now a Prima Dona are two very different things, becuase these same couch creatures loved him not so long ago.  But, in any case, we need to remove this notion that we as fans can sit around and have real discussions of logic concerning the team.  I don't care how many games you have sat through or in what stadium, I don't care if you can even speak about the Chuck Fairbanks era, you don't have the knowledge required to discuss the team with "logic".  The best you can do is listen to a lot of "anal-lists" who think they know a lot about a team but really know just a little more than we do.  I mean, I have no idea why the Pats are passing so much and not running more, but I do know there is a reason for it.  Right or wrong, there is some logic behind it, and since I do not know what that logic is, I really can't criticize it.  I am just going to have to assume that the best post-season coach in league histroy is not doing it just for kicks.  Being a fan is abot emotion, not logic.  We all get plenty of logic in our lives--Sunday is about jumping around and making a lot noise and talking trash to your TV screen.

And as for the dipwad who is disapointed in the product on the field, becuase they are not what "WE" expect--I don't even know where to start.  I wonder if you have such high standards for yourself and your life?  And don't be talking about your "rights" becuase you buy merchandise.  You are not entitled to a DANG thing.  Be happy you live in a country where your favorite football team is one of your biggest sources of stress--not war, famine, or genocide.  And be happy that you have money to buy merchandise--you already have far more than you are entitled.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from LazarusintheSanatorium. Show LazarusintheSanatorium's posts

Mosseffect and ALL:

Good thread Mosseffect...I'll weigh with what is, in the retrospect of thinking it out momentarilly just now, if not a cursory, is at the very least a pretty shallow opine lol:

I used to think that a "true" fan of ANY team, is one who had to live in, during some extended period in their life, the region said team hails from...  You were born in California, and went to a New England College?  Sorry, You're out.  You are from a different country, and love the Pats?  Yup, You're outta the loop too-find a sport in your native soil, and stick with it (If all ya got is the boomerang toss or ultimate frisbee...that's rough...oh well, tough luck). 

Nowadays, after witnessing such things as the Pats success over this past decade, and subsequently coupling that with the experiences of seeing Patriots bumper stickers on every car, 17 year olds in Florida wearing Brady jerseys like they're going outta style, and finally, add ALL of this to a bitter little side realization that I will probably NEVER again be able to afford a ticket to sit in the comfy seats at Gilette Stadium the way I went to Sullivan stadium and stuck to the freezing beer drenched bleachers a dozen times, I, as of late, have concluded an addendum must be added to the first "Being of the Region" part (I could start from scratch with a much more intelligent thesis, but I'm still considering running for office someday, So I'll start here by not making a new and sensible Law, but rather, by making what's called an "Amendment" (an other word for "woops"), to a ridiculous, defunct, but somehow, someway, existing law...

Here is my "Amendment":

I suppose nowadays, a "true" Fan, is one who not only "Hails from the region for some extended period in time (sic)," But ALSOBegan being a fan of the team (here the Pats), while they were, well, simply put, not just losing, but L-O-S-E-R-S (pronounced with accompanied formation of a hand gestured "L" over your forehead...there...I just did it).  Again, This is sort of a perfunctory axiom to have, for What, for example, Do You do IF The Team from your region has been good ALL Your Life?  A teenie-bopper Pats Fan, for instance.  Yessiree, You guessed it ALL, 13 year olds FROM New England CanNOT be Pat's Fans.  Your father and Grandfather are, and have always had been?  Nope, no re-re legacies get a direct nod into this frat.  Pops has an extra ticket to go to Gilette this weekend, and He finally invited, Y-O-U, his 12 year old son, who he finally says, "You're old enough to go!"!?!  Sorry, He's in, and You gotta wait in the car (off Patriot premises).  Also, in the oft chance Dad O.k'ed a Patriot's Tattoo for you, and You've ONLY been alive during their successes...a select group of "true" Pat's Fans (by my definition stated right here and now), Gets to "take back" the Tattoo the way they "take back" tats in certain Biker Gangs (that have the gang name/symbol on them).  By cutting it and/or burning it from your skin.  IF You actually die from this horrific ordeal, will you, You ask, at the very least then be lauded as a "true" Pat's Fan in death????  No.  

Until the Patriots lose for 2, no ("amendment") 3 Straight Seasons, You have to still trully Love and Follow EVERY Game, Player, Coach and ANY news related to the said team you want to become part of the fan-base of (here, the Pats), BUT outwardly You have to express your support for the Detroit Lions during your "real team's" stay in purgatory (e.g. again, the loss column for 3 Seasons Straight)...

There it is:  I have as of this moment put down the criterion for ALL of "fandom" for, well...Eternity.  Pretty rational and straight-forward set of circumstances, huh ALL? 

Thoughts ANYONE

of note (for future "amendment"):  In the strange oddity that you're attempting to become a Lion's Fan, and in the even stranger oddity they are someday a successful franchise your whole life (lol....sorry, ahhh, wicked funny), NO, It's absurd to think that You can secretly follow the Lions trying to become a "true" fan, but outwardly be a Lion's Fan at the same ime... Soooo, if this absurd Catch-22 were ever to occur, You DO have to covertly follow every move, play and what-not of the Lion's team that You're trying to become a Fan of, BUT until those 3 losing seasons occur for Detroit (or as the Lions of now call them, "every season"), Yup, you guessed it, You have to outwardly profess your love and support of a Professional Ultimate Frisbee or Boomerang Team...your choice.   

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from bubthegrub2. Show bubthegrub2's posts

We're all "true" fans (for the most part). If you're cheering for the team honestly, you are a fan. Of course, here we get Leon and his 359 alter-egos. About half of this "end of the world" talk is coming from trolls. I think it's valid to be critical in light of recent success, but with the understanding that the coaching staff know a thousand times more than we could ever hope to! And if/when the team starts to consistently miss the postseason, the trolls and "untrue" fans will be gone. I'll be here, and I think quite a few of the other regulars will. But I'd be careful about putting too many "restrictions", especially about having to have been alive in the 2-12 years (and remembering those aluminum benches at Schaeffer Stadium...after a December game my a s s wouldn't thaw out until Wednesday!). We'll wind up on a board with only a dozen or so "old farts" like us! Ignore the "fire BB" and "trade Brady" BS. This is just another Togah invasion after a loss to a bitter rival. Jests fans have very few chances to "gloat" about a win against the Patriots, it's like a starving man coming across a Burger King! Pure carnage. But like the guy who hasn't had any in a couple of years, Leon will "shoot his load" quickly (and probably be unable to reload)! Once the Jests get spanked (and Brady gets on track) they'll be singing a different tune. Part of being a fan is trusting your coach can turn things around. After what he's done, I think BB needs the benefit of the doubt for a lot more than one poor showing against Green New Jersey!!!

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from paob. Show paob's posts

In Response to what is a true fan?:
    ive been reading all these posts of fans calling out bandwagon fans,to true fans,to standing up.first off please tell me the definition of a real true fan.who here is the perfect fan?is there really a perfect fan?now ive been a fan since 1970.i have road the loseing seasons for many years,and still cheered the team on.since 2001 there was a nice ride.it was great to see a winning franchise.am i spoiled?far from it.are my exspectations high?yes they are,and rightfully so.you wouldnt be a fan if your exspectations are low.we all watch the games,some of us even record them.so we know what is going well,and not.and as a fan we all have the right to express our feelings about our team if something is going well,or isnt going well.rather if we agree,or disagree.it dosent make one fan better then another.
    Posted by mosseffect43

Moss, I recently heard someone say "Fan is short for fanatic." And to some degree they're right, because the posts on this site the past couple of games have ranged from critical to thoughtful to outright stupid. I began to really pay attention to this team in 1986. The Patriot's first superbowl appearance. The only memory I want to recall from that game, is how pissed off I was at the outcome. 
    It's a true testament to how good your team or organization is when trolls are constantly visiting your team's blog to spew bullsh*t, well, most of 'em do. At any rate, I've had some disagreements over the years with fellow fans on this site, but I'm still here, that among other things, is what makes me a supporter of this team.

Sections
Shortcuts