What is BB doing with the front seven?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from portfolio1. Show portfolio1's posts

Re: What is BB doing with the front seven?

In response to wozzy's comment:

The last three seasons the Patriots have ranked #1, #2 and #5 in the entire NFL for interceptions.

The past three seasons they have ranked #15, #14, #17 in the entire NFL in sacks...

Conversely:

In our three championship years we ranked #7, #1, #8 in the entire NFL for interceptions.

In our three championship years we ranked #13, #6, #4 in the entire NFL for sacks.

It's fairly obvious the improvement needs to happen in the front seven.  You build a football team from the inside out.  If you don't do your job up front then the back end suffers.  

We don't sack, don't get pressure, leave opposing QB's all day to throw.  We've won championships with worse defensive backfields, Troy Brown playing nickel back in the playoffs comes to mind... 

Right!

The Pats are a good team. What they need is to dominate more around the line of scrimmage whether it has to do with pass rush or shut down the run or give TB time against the best in the playoffs or run successfully for critical yards in playoff games. You want to dominant on one or both sides of the line. The rest comes from that.

I would love to see us get a dominat C and/or RG. TO get a dominating DE and an meaningful upgrade at DT. Maybe we did that (DT) this off season. We will see.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Philskiw1. Show Philskiw1's posts

not having Chung in coverage for the 5 games a year he played makes the D better.  

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from anonymis. Show anonymis's posts

In response to braunzy's comment:

I completely agree that the “4-3/3-4” doesn’t really apply, the Pats definitely have a hybrid type of defense. They already had guys like Ninkovich who has played 3-4/3-4 OLB and 4-3 DE, I think Hightower is another guy like that maybe Cunningham too, as he has played on this inside of the line and as a 3-4 OLB and 4-3DE.

Anyone can rush the passer, drop into coverage, etc. at any time, and there will always be someone to fill a position if there is an injury. It would be really interesting for someone (smarter than I) to come up with some different possible “looks” this defense could put out there.

Anyways, it is going to be fun to watch this defense come into it’s own, I really feel that they have a lot of talent, not too many weaknesses and a plethora of depth (that is assuming the picks from last year take the year 2 leap).

A guy like Logan Ryan who probably is talented enough (although we haven’t seen him actually play an NFL snap) to be a number 2 corner, can be their #4 or #5 corner.

The only position on the team that I’m a little worried about depth is the interior O-line, but I trust that Scar will coach some guys up, and they will be fine.  Maybe Cannon makes a move to Guard this offseason?

yes, but really......did the Patriots have all the players to do certain things well in 2012? We've made some inroads thru free agency and the draft, but, IMO they still need to find another impact DE/OLB (yes, I know they added Collins). If we can have an effective pass rush - it will make it easier to mask out any remaining problems w/ the DBs/pass coverage weakness that might remain.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbruu. Show bredbruu's posts

In response to tcal2-'s comment:

In response to 49Patriots' comment:

In response to tcal2-'s comment:

Maybe you didn't see the absolute collapse in the AFC Championship game after Talib got hurt or maybe, like many here, you’re in denial. 

They picked on Marquice Cole in the AFCCG, the other guys weren't attacked nearly as much as  you're implying. 

Well BB, like me, obviously sees an issue with the back 7.  In the last 2 drafts he's invested 8 of 14 picks on back 7 players.

It didn't seem like anyone really played all that well that game.  The Ravens seem to play their best game against the Pats, as do most teams, where as New England seems to have a hard time stringing plays together against them.

I like their chances this year though, I consider them improved on paper, and I don't think they are done making moves yet. Health seems to always be a big issue for the Pats the past couple of years, hope we have some luck and start getting healthy going into the playoffs and not the other way around.

I think the back 7 has finally been addressed in a way that hopefully they will actually have some continuity back there. It's nice that they actually have the same starters Talib, Denard, McCourtey, Wilson and Arrington back for another year, and more depth behind them in Duron, A Wilson Ryan and hopefully Dowling

balt o lin ewas better 10 seconds for flacco

balt de line was better 2-3 seconds for brady often

their wrs were better

their d backs were better

and ridley got knocked out

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbruu. Show bredbruu's posts

In response to anonymis' comment:

I completely agree that the “4-3/3-4” doesn’t really apply, the Pats definitely have a hybrid type of defense. They already had guys like Ninkovich who has played 3-4/3-4 OLB and 4-3 DE, I think Hightower is another guy like that maybe Cunningham too, as he has played on this inside of the line and as a 3-4 OLB and 4-3DE.

Anyone can rush the passer, drop into coverage, etc. at any time, and there will always be someone to fill a position if there is an injury. It would be really interesting for someone (smarter than I) to come up with some different possible “looks” this defense could put out there.

Anyways, it is going to be fun to watch this defense come into it’s own, I really feel that they have a lot of talent, not too many weaknesses and a plethora of depth (that is assuming the picks from last year take the year 2 leap).

A guy like Logan Ryan who probably is talented enough (although we haven’t seen him actually play an NFL snap) to be a number 2 corner, can be their #4 or #5 corner.

The only position on the team that I’m a little worried about depth is the interior O-line, but I trust that Scar will coach some guys up, and they will be fine.  Maybe Cannon makes a move to Guard this offseason?

yes, but really......did the Patriots have all the players to do certain things well in 2012? We've made some inroads thru free agency and the draft, but, IMO they still need to find another impact DE/OLB (yes, I know they added Collins). If we can have an effective pass rush - it will make it easier to mask out any remaining problems w/ the DBs/pass coverage weakness that might remain.

agreed, hope we get abraham but why should it be weka with so many db picks?

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbruu. Show bredbruu's posts

In response to Philskiw1's comment:

not having Chung in coverage for the 5 games a year he played makes the D better.  

point:)

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbruu. Show bredbruu's posts

In response to portfolio1's comment:

The last three seasons the Patriots have ranked #1, #2 and #5 in the entire NFL for interceptions.

The past three seasons they have ranked #15, #14, #17 in the entire NFL in sacks...

Conversely:

In our three championship years we ranked #7, #1, #8 in the entire NFL for interceptions.

In our three championship years we ranked #13, #6, #4 in the entire NFL for sacks.

It's fairly obvious the improvement needs to happen in the front seven.  You build a football team from the inside out.  If you don't do your job up front then the back end suffers.  

We don't sack, don't get pressure, leave opposing QB's all day to throw.  We've won championships with worse defensive backfields, Troy Brown playing nickel back in the playoffs comes to mind... 

Right!

The Pats are a good team. What they need is to dominate more around the line of scrimmage whether it has to do with pass rush or shut down the run or give TB time against the best in the playoffs or run successfully for critical yards in playoff games. You want to dominant on one or both sides of the line. The rest comes from that.

I would love to see us get a dominat C and/or RG. TO get a dominating DE and an meaningful upgrade at DT. Maybe we did that (DT) this off season. We will see.

'I would love to see us get a dominat C and/or RG. TO get a dominating DE and an meaningful upgrade at DT. Maybe we did that (DT) this off season. We will see."

completely agree

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsLifer. Show PatsLifer's posts

In response to TripleOG's comment:

Still gonna me mainly a 4-3 team but with a lot of hybrid Dime packages and Big Nickels and 4-2-5, 3-3-5 alignments to take advantage of extra DBs to cover. The Collins kid can rush, but he may be used to cover Rbs and Te's. We have enough Hybrid De/OLBs to play 3-4, but I still dont see the wealth of 3-4 D Lineman who can make it a realistic change to 3-4. Maybe here and there but Vince can 2 gap  but who else??

I think we could use Vince, Kelly, armstead, deaderick and love in various combination for a 3 man line. I don't think the talent for a 3 man line is optimal, but a lot of that depends on how much kelly gives us and if armstead can play. If those 2 things happen, we could have a very effective 3 man line of Kelly, Vince, armstead/deaderick. 

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsLifer. Show PatsLifer's posts

In response to PatsEng's comment:

In response to 49Patriots' comment:

Caserio(sp) hinted that they planned to play Collins as a DE this season since he played both positions in college. He also said that, though Collins played the majority of his highlights as an OLB in a 3-4/4-3, Collins played the majority of his senior year with his hands on the floor. 

They picked him because of his versitility and willingness to play wherever he's asked to play. He's played DE, OLB, MLB and S in college and BB couldn't pass that up. 

So, we're most likely going to line up in the 4-3 the majority of the snaps, but plays some 3-4 when BB thinks it is needed more. 

I can see Collins playing 43 DE in passing situations as he has the speed and good hand movement similar to Von Miller but he's still light on running downs and not sure he wouldn't get washed out against larger Ts on the edge. Nink in on running downs and Collins on passing downs maybe? On Hightower as 43 DE on running downs, Collins as OLB then flip them on passing downs?

Yeah, I like the latter approach...use Collins as a 4-3 olb on running down, move Hightower to the edge and then swap them on passing downs. 

I would like to see bb bring pressure all over the place, and overload at times. Collins would be the guy I use all over the place. stand him up inside, outside, drop back in coverage...should be fun to see how he is used 

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsLifer. Show PatsLifer's posts

In response to portfolio1's comment:

Conversely:

Right!

Agree..I think bb addressed upgrading the DL with Kelly and armstead. I hope they are at least better than love and deaderick, which I think they are. To me, this is the thing to watch because I agree that it all starts on the line. If Kelly and armstead can give us an extra push from the line, more so than love or deaderick did, then we have something. 

Sections
Shortcuts