What is it about football that appeals to you so much?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from AyyyBoston. Show AyyyBoston's posts

What is it about football that appeals to you so much?

I figured this might be a good topic for all of us football fans. What exactly about the game draws you in? For me, it's a few things:

1. The strategy - So much goes into every aspect of the game regarding not only playcalling, but pre-snap adjustments and execution on the field.

2. The action - Once the ball is snapped, everyone on the field is moving. It's fun to watch these guys put in the effort on every play that they do. One mistake, or one great move by a player, can change the game.

3. The team aspect - everyone on the field has to do their job, and just about every player on the roster contributes in some way. For example, on offense, the OL needs to block, the QB needs to make good passes, the RBs need to block or find the holes to run through, and the WRs/TEs have to get open, or contribute through blocking. If one person screws up or doesn't put in the effort, he can screw his team over.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from ghostofjri37. Show ghostofjri37's posts

Re: What is it about football that appeals to you so much?

Ayyy, good stuff.

For me it's watching good OL play. It is great to sit up high and watch a guard pull while the center blocks down and the tackle seals the end. Line play is choreographed and when executed correctly it is awesome to watch.

Watching TB lead a no huddle or 2 minute warning drive has been unbelievableā€¦ the leadership he brings to the unit and the precision he displays during those drives is unbelievable. We as Pats fans are truly lucky to have had the pleasure to watch this guy play.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Homecheese. Show Homecheese's posts

Good question but a tough one. Its hard to say what I like the most

- Stategy and in so many ways. Gameplans, playcalling, in game adjustments, pre snap adjustments and         matchups.

-Team building. Draft picks, Free Agents, Trades. Players strengths and weakness and if he would fit in a certain scheme.

-The action and execution

I guess I like everything about it, even the jests. It wouldn't be as fun without rivals. Only thing I think I hate about the NFL is Roger Goodell and players who have off field problems.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from agill1970. Show agill1970's posts

It's a full contact chess match, with the added twist that not only do you have to have a good game plan and move, but then you have to execute that as well, with multiple pieces moving and "doing their job" at the same time.  I know of no other sport like it that can so thoroughly satisfy the cerebral and physical demands of numerous types of fans. 

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from TFB12. Show TFB12's posts

Great question, but like homecheese said... A tough one!

i absolutely loved playing football and still to this day I get together with many of my friends and play several times a year. The thanksgiving day turkey bowl is always a must too. 

The strategy, the execution, the match ups, the physical play, just everything about the game is great. 

Be a Fan!  But don't be a Homer Fan!

6. This post has been removed.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from digger0862. Show digger0862's posts

It's a gladiator thing.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheKruger. Show TheKruger's posts

In response to agill1970's comment:

It's a full contact chess match, with the added twist that not only do you have to have a good game plan and move, but then you have to execute that as well, with multiple pieces moving and "doing their job" at the same time.  I know of no other sport like it that can so thoroughly satisfy the cerebral and physical demands of numerous types of fans. 

This sums up my feeling as well

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from mellymel3. Show mellymel3's posts

Death, destruction, the lamentation of the opponents women...and the laughable reaction of Jets fans every year at the draft...hooligans and cretins all!

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from NYC. Show NYC's posts

Violence, brutality and strategy cast within a team environment necessitating cooperation and sacrifice to succeed.

And yes, humiliating those Jersey Jets, they don't deserve the NY label!!

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxfan94. Show redsoxfan94's posts

Great op 

I love football due to the excitement it entails and also the team aspect. Football teammates are friends you will always have, brothers. 

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from ATJ. Show ATJ's posts

I was first attracted to the game as a kid because, quite frankly, I liked the physical competition, both from a one on one standpoint and in the context of a team.  I liked to hit.  Played through high school and for a few years beyond.  I think as my direct participation lessened I developed an appreciation for the strategy of the game (as others have pointed out) in the context of highly physical competition.  The adrenaline rush remains and I don't see that diminishing any time soon.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from jjbag. Show jjbag's posts

To me its the team aspect, its really one of the only "action" sports (sorry soccer is not action) where the whole is greater than the individual, you can have superstars on the team, but if your not playing as a team your doomed. Where else can you find that?

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from OnlyDaTruth. Show OnlyDaTruth's posts

the whole game, friends, food, and drink :)

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from CablesWyndBairn. Show CablesWyndBairn's posts

In response to mellymel3's comment:

Death, destruction, the lamentation of the opponents women...and the laughable reaction of Jets fans every year at the draft...hooligans and cretins all!

[object HTMLDivElement]

You sound like Arnold in Conan the Barbarian. (The original, not the awful 2nd movie.)

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

I like everything mentioned above about football, but I'll add the weather. I like how it starts in the summer and works it's way through the seasons. You see the leaves change color...you feel the air get a bite of cold in it...then it ends in freezing temperatures, usually in the dark of winter. It's a full circle thing that I enjoy. Other sports may carry themselves into other seasons, but none are played outside in it like football.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from agcsbill. Show agcsbill's posts

What better excuse to eat and drink for 3+ hours and watch about 20 minutes of action??!! (-;

AGCSBill, just a fan havin' fun!!

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from DoNotSleepOnThePats. Show DoNotSleepOnThePats's posts

I love the strategy, the drama, the camaraderie amongst teammates, the action, the hitting, the circus catches (still find it amazing that receivers can keep their toes inbounds so close to the sideline when making a difficult catch), the fiery competition amongst rivals, the coaches reactions to bad penalty calls, the nervous butterfly feeling I get when the Patriots are marching on a drive late in the game to take the lead and vice versa when their defense is on the field trying to stop the other team, watching some of the most freakishly gifted athletes go toe to toe amongst the other freakish athletes.  I love baseball, basketball, and hockey but when I watch the Patriots, I get more excited and pumped than I do for Red Sox, Celtics, and Bruins games (unless of course it's the playoffs, then it's equal).  Football is just an incredible sport and like my father always told me, "I don't trust a guy who doesn't like football."

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Mike-J-D. Show Mike-J-D's posts

Good thread.  For me it's cultural more than anything.  If I grew up somewhere else, I probably wouldn't care for football.  It would not have drawn me in.  Contrast that with soccer which isn't part of my culture but yet I've grown into really enjoying it and liked playing it as an older kid and adult. I loved playing basketball more than any other sport.  Cycling has opened a lot for me as an adult.

Football isn't a particularly aesthetically pleasing sport.  Lots of breaks in the action, many commercial breaks, players standing around while the game clock runs, players who are highly specialized in one position.  BUT yet, football especially, and to a lesser extent baseball are two sports that have always been with me.  I've always played them, always watched them.  My loyalties are stronger with football than any other sport.  I hate the teams I hate in football more, and I like the Pats more than any other team.  Something about football, it has always been there. It's just a part of me.  It's in my blood.   

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from mellymel3. Show mellymel3's posts

In response to CablesWyndBairn's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to mellymel3's comment:

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[object HTMLDivElement]

You sound like Arnold in Conan the Barbarian. (The original, not the awful 2nd movie.)

[/QUOTE]

GREAT CATCH !!...Yes, I lifted the "lamentation" part from Conan #1...lol...

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from 42AND46. Show 42AND46's posts

In response to AyyyBoston's comment:
    [QUOTE]

I figured this might be a good topic for all of us football fans. What exactly about the game draws you in? For me, it's a few things:

1. The strategy - So much goes into every aspect of the game regarding not only playcalling, but pre-snap adjustments and execution on the field.

2. The action - Once the ball is snapped, everyone on the field is moving. It's fun to watch these guys put in the effort on every play that they do. One mistake, or one great move by a player, can change the game.

3. The team aspect - everyone on the field has to do their job, and just about every player on the roster contributes in some way. For example, on offense, the OL needs to block, the QB needs to make good passes, the RBs need to block or find the holes to run through, and the WRs/TEs have to get open, or contribute through blocking. If one person screws up or doesn't put in the effort, he can screw his team over.

[/QUOTE]

love the sport but like all sports it's my team I have the the real passion for...i am a Giants fan more than a football fan

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from DoNotSleepOnThePats. Show DoNotSleepOnThePats's posts

In response to 42AND46's comment:
    [QUOTE]

love the sport but like all sports it's my team I have the the real passion for...i am a Giants fan more than a football fan

[/QUOTE]

One has to wonder that if you're a Giants fan more than a football fan, why you spend so much time on an online forum for the Patriots?

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from OnlyDaTruth. Show OnlyDaTruth's posts

In response to DoNotSleepOnThePats' comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to 42AND46's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

One has to wonder that if you're a Giants fan more than a football fan, why you spend so much time on an online forum for the Patriots?

[/QUOTE]

i dunno, I find 42and46 much more entertaining.....than some other posters here.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from rtuinila. Show rtuinila's posts

My dad played semi pro ball, my great uncle was a college coach, I grew up watching the Pats and remember watching the real Jim Nance (my favorite player of all time) on TV. Played sand lot ball and played through high school. I love the game because the team with the best talent just doesn't beat a team with good talent that also plays as a team. No other sport that I watch comes close to that dynamic.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from joepatsfan111111. Show joepatsfan111111's posts

Everything about it.

I mean it's really my love for the Pats that makes it much more intense.

I don't really root for any college team's but I can sit back and watch college football all day, same with pro football when the Patriots aren't on.

But once you add the Pats into the mix, it's heaven. There really isn't anything better than games like the Saints one last season or the Broncos one. Or going back to 2011 the Ravens AFCCG. Wild.

Those kind of games are what makes my life worth while. Honestly.

Sections
Shortcuts