What is Patriots' Greatest Weakness At This Point?.....

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from jader. Show jader's posts

Re: What is Patriots' Greatest Weakness At This Point?.....

OL for sure. Mankins and Neal are good, Volmer is developing - not quite there yet. The rest STINK. Kaczur is not an NFL caliber player, he's the classic turnstyle, Koppen is not good. He's undersized, slow, and NOT TOUGH. Light used to be good but his best days are behind him.

I was hoping the Pats would move up in the 1st round and take Pouncey or Iutapi but no such luck

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from DogenHanda. Show DogenHanda's posts

In Response to Re: What is Patriots' Greatest Weakness At This Point?.....:
    I feel the Patriots greatest weakness is their weaknesses. Yes it's true! Their weakness is certainly not their strengths because their strengths are their strengths. No it has to be their weanesses. Apart form that, if they can strengthen their weaknesses then they will add to their strengths and have no weakness. With that being said I hope this clears all that up! Any Questions?
    Posted by JerrySpringer

Jerry:

I think this is your version of Hemingway's: Our nada who art in nada, nada be thy name thy kingdom nada thy will be nada in nada as it is in nada. Give us this nada our daily nada and nada us our nada as we nada our nadas and nada us not into nada but deliver us from nada; pues nada [then nothing]. Hail nothing full of nothing, nothing is with thee.

Or is it your version of Rumsfeld's: There are known knowns. These are things we know that we know. There are known unknowns. That is to say, there are things that we know we don't know. But there are also unknown unknowns. There are things we don't know we don't know.

I think that the Pats' biggest weakness is at running back due to the fact that they have taken steps to improve on their other lacks (i.e OL, DB, LB, and TE).

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Pats7393. Show Pats7393's posts

The Oline has to be top of the list, when Brady has time the Patriots are very tough to beat.  Although stats say last year the OL was solid (gave up only 18 sacks) I saw a different story watching the games, Brady was constantely been hit and backs tackled in the backfield.  I hope the OL improves but IMO they are thin at tackle.  Wish they had a stud tackle that could take over the right side and let Voll take over the left.

On D the big question is pass rush not only in a 34 but nickel packages.  The secondary will also need to step up, I am convinced McCourty was the right pick.  They will be able to put a good secondary together.  The Ws, they work better against team's 3rd and 4th receivers so i think one of the two will have a good year.

I think the team is coming together and we'll have to see how Crable and Cunningham do this summer.  I hope both step up and contribute.

WR a weak point last year looks to be one of the solid spots this year and that's without WW coming back.  Will be nice to see TB distribute the ball, IF! he's given the time to do it

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from kickwax. Show kickwax's posts

Pass rush and the ability to "grind out" first downs in the 4th quarter (i.e., the running game) when they have the lead.
    Posted by hardright

I agree with most that you say...I think the Pats biggest problem last year was not consistently converting 3rd and 2.  This killed drives the entire game.  I am not as down on Maroney as most...although the fumbles at the end of the year really bothered me.  Most of his dancing comes on obvious running plays as the OLine gets blown up.

My other problem was with TB not taking the easy first down. I can't count the number of times he came to the line with no middle linebacker and didn't go for the QB sneak...this was a staple in prior years.  Same with getting chased out of the pocket and not taking the 5 yard run for a first down but rather throwing one up.  Take the first down, get your butt down and keep the clock moving...thats how the Pats win.

My only real  disappointment with the draft was not picking Tony Pike (he went right in front of the Pats in the 6th).  I thought he was a worthy developmental project and might have trade value down the line when TB signs his long term contract.  I like Hoyer, but Pike had the size other teams would covet...if we could get him stonger.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from BubbaInHawaii. Show BubbaInHawaii's posts

OL for sure. Mankins and Neal are good, Volmer is developing - not quite there yet. The rest STINK. Kaczur is not an NFL caliber player, he's the classic turnstyle, Koppen is not good. He's undersized, slow, and NOT TOUGH. Light used to be good but his best days are behind him. I was hoping the Pats would move up in the 1st round and take Pouncey or Iutapi but no such luck
    Posted by jader

Sometime last year, there was an article about the performance of different players.....and Koppen and Kaczur were towards the bottom. Neal has been really good for the Patriots - until injuries kept on re-occurring. He was thinking about retiring this past off-season but decided to come back for one more year.

I would have liked to have seen some of these "holes" filled during the draft, but...no such luck. Just too many holes, not enough picks to fill all of them.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from BubbaInHawaii. Show BubbaInHawaii's posts

I agree with most that you say...I think the Pats biggest problem last year was not consistently converting 3rd and 2. .
    Posted by kickwax

Lots of possible causes, including: coaching, no fullback, offensive line, bad play calling......

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsLifer. Show PatsLifer's posts

This is a good question, but one that is hard to answer given we really don't know what we have coming out of the draft, who as 2nd year players is going to make the jump up this year, or what the rest of the off-season has in store in terms of player acquisitions. 

It would appear that OL and RDE are our biggest concerns right now. I think the OL was exposed more than normal last year because we never really developed a 3rd WR, did not have a solid pass catching/blocking TE and the chemistry / playcalling on offense was terrible. There was no rhythm. When TB is in a groove he is dangerous. I will look for us to establish a nice pace and tempo this year on offense to get TB in the flow early.

Brady now has 5 new weapons to work with...Gronk, Hernandez, Crump, Holt and Price. Couple this with Tate being healthy (hopefully), and Edelman making his 2nd year jump, and I think you take pressure off of TB because he has multiple weapons to either receive or block that don't come from the OL group....ie, Crump. We should see a much more dynamic offense this year and one that provides Brady more options. Lets just hope the playcalling and chemistry come together. 

On the RDE spot...I wish like all of you this was better addressed, but the RDE in our 3-4 is not responsible for rushing the QB. As someone stated above, they have gap responsibility, so even in a 3-4 the rush is going to come primarily from the edge position (OLB), and disguise stuff where we will see safety and CB blitzes. not saying the RDE will not have sacks, just not a bunch. Personally I think sack #'s are way overrated. I'm looking for more pressure like everyone else, and feel good about our current roster to deliver it even without a true 3-4 RDE. 

The big question for our defense is...what stamp is BB going to put on it this year? He has voiced that he will play a much more front and center role in our defense, but will he be creative and use the athletcism he has on the roster to bring pressure from everywhere? One of the things I liked about the Jets defense last year was all their disguises. I would like to see the Pats do some of this...I don't know if possible given all the young guys who will just need to learn the basics, but I think we have the youth and speed to do some creative things to camoflauge our weaknesses at different spots. 

Case in point...Again, assuming everyone is healthy...We have a very dynamic LB corps..imagine using Mayo, Spikes, Cunningham, Crable, McKenzie and Guyton on the field at once...6 LB's standing around the line of scrimmage, Cunningham going from hand in the dirt to standing, Spikes moving around in the middle, and Crable ready to fly off the edge. We have options and I think the players to do things way outside the norm. Lets hope BB uses them.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from BrooklineRob. Show BrooklineRob's posts

Weaknesses?  I'd prefer to call them unknowns until further notice.  The answers at OLB and ILB may be on the roster, but not for certain.  And if guys can step up at those positions, they'll be young, which means their reaction to things could be slow even though there is certainly some athleticism that was missing over the past few years.  

The biggest unknown is whether there are enough young guys ready to step up and challenge for playing time at CB, DL, OL, LB, WR.     

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from MordecaiBloodmoon. Show MordecaiBloodmoon's posts

I still think next year we need to get some OL, RB, OLB and RDE help with the first 4 picks.  I am actually hoping for 2 RBs next year, I dont like our retirment home for Rbs philosophy.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from rocher. Show rocher's posts

Run defense..the same one that gave up 230 yards rushing to Bal in the home playoff loss.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from BubbaInHawaii. Show BubbaInHawaii's posts

Run defense..the same one that gave up 230 yards rushing to Bal in the home playoff loss.
    Posted by rocher

With another true ILB in Spikes - we may have addressed the running game. Guyton wasn't heavy enough to stop RBs on the inside.  The question is if we have OLB who can set the edge....

Sections
Shortcuts