What Is Pats' Most Pressing Need in 2012?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from millergrnv. Show millergrnv's posts

Re: What Is Pats' Most Pressing Need in 2012?

In Response to What Is Pats' Most Pressing Need in 2012?:
    [QUOTE]     Every year, I prepare a mock draft in order to familiarize myself with the needs of every NFL team, the college prospect available through the draft, and to get some idea as to who will be available for the Patriots when their selection spots come up. Though I'm a believer in the Pats' choosing the best player available to them, rather than fill needs, it's helpful to know what what their needs are. Here's my opinion of the teams' greatest needs: 1.) WR: Though other positions are deemed more vital to a team (QB, OL, DL), and rightfully so, the Patriots are so pitiful at WR that a complete overhaul of their corp is needed. No...this does not include Wes Welker, who is an inside slot man. Folks, the Patriots have nothing at this position. Though this is a somewhat simplistic, the better teams have been beating the Patriots over the past few years by playing their safeties close to the line of scrimmage, and daring the Pats to throw deep. Doing this has made it harder for the Pats to successfully establish the run, and has made it much more difficult to dink and dunk the ball down-field.       As I have discussed in great detail in previous posts, the Pats have failed miserably in finding help at this position through the draft...and have wasted several high draft choices in the process. Nor does the answer lie in patching the problem with relics...as we've seen with Joey Galloway, the 33 year old version of Randy Moss, and, most recently, Chad Ochocinco.      Therefore, I look for the Patriots to make a couple of moves through free agency. I don't want the 33 going on 34 year old Reggie Wayne. To me, the Pats would be repeating a mistake by going this route. Plus, is the past his prime Wayne the deep threat that the Patriots need?       Guys like Mike Wallace, DeSean Jackson, Vincent Jackson, and Pierre Garcon appeal to me. But Wallace probably will end up being franchised somehow by the Steelers, as will DeSean Jackson by Philly. That leaves Vincent Jackson and Garcon available. Of the two, I'd prefer Jackson. But...is the 29 year old WR's prime focus on getting paid, or on winning a championship? Unlike Wallace or D. Jackson, he'd cost the team nothing in compensation. Garcon is just 26, and is an ascending player.      As for you Brandon Lloyd lovers, he's 31 years old, and has had just one big season. I question whether he's the deep threat that the Patriots' need. Furthermore, if he wanted to join Josh McDaniels so bad in New England, why did he hire agent Tom Condon, who BB loathes, to represent him?   2.) OL: Job one on this team remains to serve and protect an aging Tom Brady. The Pats must bring in a young, talented OG/C to solidify their OL. They got very lucky with 34 year old RG Brian Waters last year. He's talking retirement. Dan Koppen is 33 years old, and has been injury prone over the past few years. Dan Connelly has played well, but seems better suited in a reserve role; 3.) DL: Vince Wilfolk enjoyed his finest season last year. But, at age 30, the Pats' "Dancing Bear" needs some help. DE Brandon Deaderick and DT Kyle Love made strides last year. But, a young Richard Seymour type is needed. ; 4.) Safety: Though some would place this position as a higher need, unlike at WR, the Pats have something there. There just needs to be an upgrade; 5.) OLB/DE:  The duo of Andre Carter and Mark Anderson significantly improved the Pats ability to rush the passer last year. But, both Carter and Anderson are UFAs. Carter is old, and coming off a serious leg injury. Anderson must be resigned. A young stud pass-rusher is needed...though the red-shirted Markell Carter could be waiting in the wings.             
    Posted by TexasPat[/QUOTE]

Without a doubt, wide receiver should be the top priority because we all know that the defense (overall) needs to be improved. The wide receiver position has been the one position that doesn't get mentioned and it hasn't over the years.

Here is another reason why the wide receiver position should be #1, here is a list of the garbage that Coach has had at wide receiver (Draft or Free Agency):

1. Bethel Johnson
    2. Chad Jackson
    3. Joey Galloway
    4 J.J. Stokes
    5. P.K. Sam
    6. Isiah Stanback
    7. Brandon Tate
    8. Taylor Price

This list alone should make Coach Realize that he can't be stubborn. Up grade the Wide Receiver position.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from TrueChamp. Show TrueChamp's posts

In Response to Re: What Is Pats' Most Pressing Need in 2012?:
    [QUOTE]In Response to What Is Pats' Most Pressing Need in 2012? : Without a doubt, wide receiver should be the top priority because we all know that the defense (overall) needs to be improved. The wide receiver position has been the one position that doesn't get mentioned and it hasn't over the years. Here is another reason why the wide receiver position should be #1, here is a list of the garbage that Coach has had at wide receiver (Draft or Free Agency): 1. Bethel Johnson 2. Chad Jackson 3. Joey Galloway 4 J.J. Stokes 5. P.K. Sam 6. Isiah Stanback 7. Brandon Tate 8. Taylor Price This list alone should make Coach Realize that he can't be stubborn. Up grade the Wide Receiver position.
    Posted by millergrnv[/QUOTE]

And yet we have had one of the top scoring offense's year in and year out. Perhaps the wr position has not been utilized as much because other options were better?

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from TrueChamp. Show TrueChamp's posts

In terms of lacking a wr I think fans here need some perspective. Our outside receiver was a combination of Ocho and Branch. They had 65 receptions for over 900 yards and 7 tds. That would be about average for a team UNLESS that team had 3 OTHER players who caught over 71% of their targets for over 3,700 yards and 35 tds. Then that number becomes amazing as 4rth and 5th options.

It doesn't matter what number the player wears. It matters about how productive he is, and we had 3 of the best in the league in form of a dominating defensive game plan changing TE(Gronk) a slot/WR(WW) and a TE/WR Hernandez.

People say we need a deep threat because safeties cheat? Did anybody watch how teams played #87 this year? When a guy who is 6ft 6 catches an amazing 73% of his targets for 90 receptions and 17 tds he COMMANDS safety help.

In 07 we had the best field stretcher in NFL history but 3 playoff defense's in a row shifted their philosophy to loading up on DB's and giving us the run. Maroney answered with 2 120 plus rushing games in a row to help carry us when one of the best passing offense's ever could not produce. Unfortunately we gave up on the run against the Giants and passed our way to 14 points.

We don't need anymore passing options after 5,300 yards and 39 tds. We need a dual threat on offense in a RB who can help Tom Brady.

Other then that...LOAD UP ON DEFENSE. Like we did in the 1st half of the decade.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from millergrnv. Show millergrnv's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: What Is Pats' Most Pressing Need in 2012? : And yet we have had one of the top scoring offense's year in and year out. Perhaps the wr position has not been utilized as much because other options were better?
    Posted by TrueChamp[/QUOTE]

A lot of the success (Outside of Wes Welker) has been Gronk and Aaron Hernandez. If teams take away the middle of the football field (like what happened in the 2010-2011 playoffs and the Super Bowl), there is not a lot on the outside.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from tjwoods. Show tjwoods's posts

HaNNAHRULZ knocket it out of the park. 'Nuff said.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from msteven. Show msteven's posts

I think McDanials will be a big boost to the offense.  I would say that put the picks on defense.  Time to stop the opposition and let the offfense shine!

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: What Is Pats' Most Pressing Need in 2012? :      Yes...he was great...in the past. But, we're not dealing with the past, are we? He was done at 33...and you're talking jive, if you think he's the answer at age 35.

You don't have a shred of convincing evidence to say he was done at 33. And I'm saying 33 and 35 make little difference when you're talking Randy Moss. The guy has had very few injury issues.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from mgraham. Show mgraham's posts

[QUOTE]If you want to set the order of need you have to look at why we lost games when we lost them last year and how another year is changing the existing roster. Wes is of course key. I do not think Koppen is key. I would like to see Light play one more year in part because I am concerned about VOllmer's ability to stay on the field. But we have three non starters who have enough quality to give solid depth without adding anyone. Everyone here watched and saw the D play poorly in many games and in many key series. It took a jump forward when they released Haynesworth. They played better late in the season and in the playoffs. But they were not GOOD. Let me define good in one simple way that doesnt get us in to an arguement over what stat to emphasize: a GOOD D steps up and makes the plays at key moments in a game, especially late, and stops the opposing O giving our O the ball back. It doesn't matter whether sacks, turnovers or whatever was the way they did it. The key is simply that they did it. This D did not stop the Ravens at the end of the playoff game. The D did not stop the Giants at the end of the SuperBowl. And the play during those drives was not unusual for its mediocrity but rather more typical. Before we start arguing O v D I didn't say whose fault the almost loss to the Ravens or loss to the Giants was. I was focused on the D. ... so let me continue. The D could use help at every level. The line, OLB, CB, S... pass rush and turnovers... What I think they need most are bonifide playmakers who CAN deliver big plays and critical times against the best teams. So UPGRADES in any position will be helpfull. If I were to be brave and get specific about exactly what I think they should get I would say: #1-3 (order is flexible depending on talent available via draft or FA):   - 3 down DE that can stop the run AND bring (at least) a solid pass rush. Someone who can ANCHOR their side. If the Pats want to go 4-3 then the guy has to fit that. If they would prefer 3-4 then they need a guy who fits that.  - 3 down OLB that can set the edge/stop the run AND bring (at least) a solid pass rush . Someone who can ANCHOR their side. If the Pats want to go 4-3 then the guy has to fit that. If they prefer 3-4 then they need a guy who fits that.  - A S or a CB that can lock down defense of some element of the opponents passing game. A really good cover CB would be nice. But so would a really really good FS who can deliver big time help deep and all over the field. #4 another upgrade at a DB position. A great player at any position - including DT or NT would be very very welcome. On O there is no secret that signing Welker is important and getting 1 OR EVEN 2 WRs that can play in this O with some speed is important. How does this stack up with the D needs? Well, certainly the WR issue becomes mision critical if they do not have Welker. And there is NO question they should be bring at least 2 if not 4 people in to try to generate some play at the other WR position. But unless there is a WR who you are CONVINCED is the right guy (and no, you can never be SURE.. we are talking about your impressions in advance, not hindsight) I believe you take care of D. If you want to take some pressure OFF Brady, if you want to make this team a winner that can weather a bad play, bad series or bad game from Brady then you HAVE TO take care of the D. BB took care of the TE position in spectacular fashion in one season: Crumpler, Grank, Hernandez. Crumpler is gone but he was a big help when he was here and the other two give the Pats THE BEST TE CORP EVER. And I've been watching for 50 years. BB took care of the O line in two years bringing in Vollmer, Solder (I think we are going to love this guy to death) and Canon. He also added depth with Connolly being starting caliber. Without O line you die. Doesn't matter who the QB or RB is. BB took care of this BIG TIME. Maybe not the MOST dominant OL but good in the running game, better in the passing game, coachable and few mistakes..... BB took care of the RBs quickly. Ridley looks like he is a keeper if he can take care of the football. I still think Vereen will be the gem. BJGE and/or Woodhead both add some really key qualities. Losing one or both however can be easily addressed. BB took care of the ILB position: Mayo and more recently Spikes. I think he is approaching offseasons lately thinking about what AREA of the team to lock down. By doing that he might not cover all weaknesses but by making at least one existing weakness a strength the rest of the team can rely on it and covering up remaining weaknesses becomes easier!!! It is an interesting approach if he in fact is thinking this way. I expect he will take care of either the edges of the front 7 (DE and/or OLB) or the secondary. I think, unless there is a stud that just falls and falls to us in the 1st round or unless a FA will come here without breaking the bank he will sign Welker and bring in a couple of guys with the POTENTIAL to fix the other WR problem. But by really taking care of one part of the D and possibly upgrading another part of the D he will in effect take rpessure off Brady and the O. And rightly so. This team started really forming two years ago when they went from not having much at TE to having an amazing trio and now the Dynamic Duo (you know which one is Batman but it does seem under valuing Aaron to think of him as Robin). With the ongoing evolution of this team D is in line to take a meaningful step forward. If it does welcome back to the Ty Law/Willie McGinest type of Pats team that truly wins games three ways.
    Posted by portfolio1[/QUOT

You summed it up with your last sentence. Willy McGinnest and Ty Law ! ( i think they were  Parcells drafts.) thats Ware and Revis on the same team! Thats hard to duplicate and even now with the new permissive passing rules , I wonder how effective they would be.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from mgraham. Show mgraham's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to What Is Pats' Most Pressing Need in 2012? : Without a doubt, wide receiver should be the top priority because we all know that the defense (overall) needs to be improved. The wide receiver position has been the one position that doesn't get mentioned and it hasn't over the years. Here is another reason why the wide receiver position should be #1, here is a list of the garbage that Coach has had at wide receiver (Draft or Free Agency): 1. Bethel Johnson 2. Chad Jackson 3. Joey Galloway 4 J.J. Stokes 5. P.K. Sam 6. Isiah Stanback 7. Brandon Tate 8. Taylor Price This list alone should make Coach Realize that he can't be stubborn. Up grade the Wide Receiver position.
    Posted by millergrnv[/QUOTE]

add Kevin Dyson

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from palookaski. Show palookaski's posts

[QUOTE]In terms of lacking a wr I think fans here need some perspective. We don't need anymore passing options after 5,300 yards and 39 tds. We need a dual threat on offense in a RB who can help Tom Brady. Other then that...LOAD UP ON DEFENSE. Like we did in the 1st half of the decade.
    Posted by TrueChamp[/QUOTE]

Yes TrueChamp, your one of my top posters here.

Brady needs the 'appropriate TOOLS'! First a hard nosed Proven RB from FA/Trade.One that can take it around the edge or up the middle. No need to say what he will do for a Pats offense, it's already been said here. Jam the box and they will pay dearly with the appropriate RB.

Stay strictly D in the draft to fill the gaps with the best D people available, add one proven FA playmaker CB or Safety and I think the D is not far off from being a top 12 or so.

WE all would like a tall and tough WR down the chalk. Take the best available in a late round with KR/PR quickness and speed.

Ehem...I really do think we have WR in Ocho - a mystery - he has been open more than some here think. Very strange that many here blame him for not knowing the playbook or checkoff calls? I disagree! Also strange that Belichick spends money on a guy he likes and rarely goes to him. Makes no sense other than I suspect that Brady is not 'accurate' anymore with the long pass. I suspect teams know this so Ocho is better used Run and turn up and in at the chalk line.

Woody is an exiting player and adds the Faulk dimension. Ridley is the perfect backup. I think with these few but critical pieces the Pats will again be able to dictate games with TOP and makes stops on D.

Have a good evening all..

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat. Show TexasPat's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: What Is Pats' Most Pressing Need in 2012? : You don't have a shred of convincing evidence to say he was done at 33. And I'm saying 33 and 35 make little difference when you're talking Randy Moss. The guy has had very few injury issues.
    Posted by BabeParilli[/QUOTE]

LOL!!!! Oh really?? Check out the wonderful stats he posted in 2010:
    http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/players/4262/career

No difference in the performance of a pro athlete from age 33 to age 35?? I guess you haven't been watching the Boston Celtics this season.  

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: What Is Pats' Most Pressing Need in 2012? :      LOL!!!! Oh really?? Check out the wonderful stats he posted in 2010: http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/players/4262/career      No difference in the performance of a pro athlete from age 33 to age 35?? I guess you haven't been watching the Boston Celtics this season.  

He only had 9 receptions in four games, but 6 of those receptions were for first downs and 3 for TDs--so they were pretty high-quality receptions.  Average yards were 15.4, and three of the receptions were for 20+ yards. 

I think the more telling stats, though, aren't shown on the stat sheet.  In the Jets game in the Meadowlands, for instance, he was targeted 10 times and only had 2 receptions. Plus two of the incompletions resulted in interceptions where Moss didn't play the ball well.  My opinion is that Moss was becoming much less dependable as a receiver in late 2009 and 2010 and that was causing problems because Brady would target him a lot and key catches weren't made.  The Jets game, in particular, was a terrible performance by Moss, despite the impressive one-handed catch against Revis.  I suspect that after that game, BB really began to question whether Moss was hurting the offense with his poor plays more than he was helping it with his good ones.  At that point, I think he may have been considering using Moss only as a decoy and having Brady throw to him a lot less--and that decision may have led to Moss asking for a trade. This is speculation on my part, but my understanding is that Moss actually asked for a trade and BB accomodated him--it seemed to be a mutual decision at the time the trade was made, and I think it was because BB had decided to really reduce Moss's role in the offense and Moss wasn't comfortable with that, so they had a discussion and both agreed a trade made sense. 

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from JayShizzle45. Show JayShizzle45's posts

Pro, that is exactly how it happened.

Anyone saying something different is delusional.

It wasnt a coincidence he went on his rant after he had zero targets, despite our biggest win in some time.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from elDunker2. Show elDunker2's posts

I think Lloyd is our answer through FA at WR and fills the most important need.  Age 31 still has a couple+ years of high octane gas left in the tank.

Draft priority depends on who is available. If Barron is on the board at 27, we take him. If not, we trade the pick. We can get a top 3 versatile DE/OLB at #31which I believe fills our tied for second highest need (with SS). Second round focus on OL and DL with the priority depending on value availalbe.   

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: What Is Pats' Most Pressing Need in 2012? :      LOL!!!! Oh really?? Check out the wonderful stats he posted in 2010: http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/players/4262/career      No difference in the performance of a pro athlete from age 33 to age 35?? I guess you haven't been watching the Boston Celtics this season.  

What the hell isn't sinking in for you that 2010 is not evidence of anything other than Moss being disgruntled?

I didn't say a pro athelete doesn't generally drop off from 33 to 35. I basically said Moss isn't just any pro athelete. Rice made the pro-bowl at 40 with 92 catches.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from 1guy1sharp. Show 1guy1sharp's posts

Moss isn't done.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat. Show TexasPat's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: What Is Pats' Most Pressing Need in 2012? : What the hell isn't sinking in for you that 2010 is not evidence of anything other than Moss being disgruntled?

RESPONSE: Temper, temper...LOL!! I posted evidence that Moss performed poorly in 2010. Where's your evidence that Moss performed poorly because he was "disgruntled", as opposed to having diminished skills? Did he choose not to play in 2011 because he was "digruntled", too?? Or, was it because the realization hit him that his skills had diminished?

I didn't say a pro athelete doesn't generally drop off from 33 to 35. I basically said Moss isn't just any pro athelete. Rice made the pro-bowl at 40 with 92 catches.

RESPONSE: That's one guy...who was (erroneously) voted the greatest player ever. How many other WRs can you name who performed well after turning 33??

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: What Is Pats' Most Pressing Need in 2012? :In Response to Re: What Is Pats' Most Pressing Need in 2012? : What the hell isn't sinking in for you that 2010 is not evidence of anything other than Moss being disgruntled?

RESPONSE: Temper, temper...LOL!! I posted evidence that Moss performed poorly in 2010. Where's your evidence that Moss performed poorly because he was "disgruntled", as opposed to having diminished skills? Did he choose not to play in 2011 because he was "digruntled", too?? Or, was it because the realization hit him that his skills had diminished?

RESPONSE: That's one guy...who was (erroneously) voted the greatest player ever. How many other WRs can you name who performed well after turning 33??
    Posted by BabeParilli

I'm not angry. I'm just putting emphasis.

Where's my evidence he was disgruntled? Oh, maybe the press conference where he expressed his dissatisfaction with his contract? Maybe the fact he was traded and then cut. What would you call it in light of those facts, him being "content"?

Even his stats are not that bad if you project his starts to a full season. 40 catches, 571 yards and 7 TDs.

His Pats start stats project to; 48 catches, 741 yards and 16 TDs.

In addition to Rice many have had good years at 34-35; TO,  Tim Brown, Cris Carter; there's plenty of guys who still played at a high level at that age. And none of them have as much talent as Moss.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat3. Show TexasPat3's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: What Is Pats' Most Pressing Need in 2012? : I'm not angry. I'm just putting emphasis. Where's my evidence he was disgruntled? Oh, maybe the press conference where he expressed his dissatisfaction with his contract? Maybe the fact he was traded and then cut. What would you call it in light of those facts, him being "content"? Even his stats are not that bad if you project his starts to a full season. 40 catches, 571 yards and 7 TDs. His Pats start stats project to; 48 catches, 741 yards and 16 TDs. In addition to Rice many have had good years at 34-35; TO,  Tim Brown, Cris Carter; there's plenty of guys who still played at a high level at that age. And none of them have as much talent as Moss.

So...you're really going to argue that being "disgruntled" led to him taking the 2011 season off, too? LOL!!!

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from neackerwitz. Show neackerwitz's posts

Power runner.. for the love of God.. resigning one of there Center's and an actual defensive coordinator would be nice...