What is the best draft pick/trade/signing the Pats have made?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from FillmoreWest. Show FillmoreWest's posts

What is the best draft pick/trade/signing the Pats have made?

Realizing how depressing my other thread was, I decided to do the opposite...

The Moss trade is an easy one but looking back on it, every team in the NFL was nuts for letting Moss go to the Pats for only a 4th round pick. The Pats were smart but got lucky...

My favorite is 2003: Pats trade 1st rd 18th overall (Kyle Boller) to Ravens for 2003 2nd rd 36th overall(Eugene Wilson) and 2004 1st rd 21st overall (Vince Wilfork)

Wilfork is obviously one of the best players the Pats have ever had and Wilson was a starter and key to those 2 superbowl wins. Considering the Ty Warren pick that year from the Bledsoe trade, that was a HUGE draft for the Pats.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from kelvana33. Show kelvana33's posts

Re: What is the best draft pick/trade/signing the Pats have made?

I'll go with Tom Brady in the 6th round. That turned out okay.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from APpats22. Show APpats22's posts

In response to kelvana33's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Eh I don't know...I'd say average at best.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from FillmoreWest. Show FillmoreWest's posts

Ha probably should have said except Brady...but you know what I mean

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Muzwell. Show Muzwell's posts

A first round pick for Bill Belichick was a good move.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from dfitzp. Show dfitzp's posts

Also getting Welker from Miami for a 2nd and I think a 7th.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from OlderbutWiser. Show OlderbutWiser's posts

1973 - NE had three picks in the first round and they selected John Hannah, Sam Cunningham, and Darryl Stingley.  Overall they drafted well in the first rounds of the 1970s. It is their best first round draft ever in terms of number of quality players. 

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from ghostofjri37. Show ghostofjri37's posts

In response to OlderbutWiser's comment:

1973 - NE had three picks in the first round and they selected John Hannah, Sam Cunningham, and Darryl Stingley.  Overall they drafted well in the first rounds of the 1970s. It is their best first round draft ever in terms of number of quality players. 

You beat me to it.... they also got Sugar Bear (Ray) Hamilitonin the 14th round that year. In 77 they got Ray Clayborn and Stanley Morgan in the 1st Round.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Philskiw1. Show Philskiw1's posts

In response to ghostofjri37's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

You beat me to it.... they also got Sugar Bear (Ray) Hamilitonin the 14th round that year.

[/QUOTE]

Can you imagine 14 rounds now ?  The draft thread would be 8000 hits by now. 

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from ghostofjri37. Show ghostofjri37's posts

In response to Philskiw1's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

You beat me to it.... they also got Sugar Bear (Ray) Hamilitonin the 14th round that year.

[/QUOTE]

Can you imagine 14 rounds now ?  The draft thread would be 8000 hits by now. 

[/QUOTE]

LOL... I think Mbeaulieu and the draft guys would eat that up.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

In response to Muzwell's comment:
    [QUOTE]

A first round pick for Bill Belichick was a good move.

[/QUOTE]

BB wouldn't agree the value wasn't there now Brady in the 6th that's a steal. Cassell even better you got him for nothing and got a 2nd in return. Doesn't matter if that 2nd turned into nothing either  >.>

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

[QUOTE]

LOL... I think Mbeaulieu and the draft guys would eat that up.

[/QUOTE]

in a way we already do since we talk about UDFA's once we go through about 300 possible draft picks lol

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

The Brady pick was luck. The Moss trade was smart.

But I'll go with Andre Tippett, 2nd round pick.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Iceman4. Show Iceman4's posts

2001 Seymour and Light were drafted.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

In response to BabeParilli's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Luck or not it was still the greatest pick ever in the draft. Honestly when do you get a not arguable top 3 QB and arguable top QB of all time in the 6th round?

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat. Show TexasPat's posts

In response to FillmoreWest's comment:

Realizing how depressing my other thread was, I decided to do the opposite...

The Moss trade is an easy one but looking back on it, every team in the NFL was nuts for letting Moss go to the Pats for only a 4th round pick. The Pats were smart but got lucky...

My favorite is 2003: Pats trade 1st rd 18th overall (Kyle Boller) to Ravens for 2003 2nd rd 36th overall(Eugene Wilson) and 2004 1st rd 21st overall (Vince Wilfork)

Wilfork is obviously one of the best players the Pats have ever had and Wilson was a starter and key to those 2 superbowl wins. Considering the Ty Warren pick that year from the Bledsoe trade, that was a HUGE draft for the Pats. 

This is a silly thread, only because the answer is so obvious...Tom Brady, 6th round pick in 2000 draft, #199 overall. I doubt that the Pats will ever make a better personnel decision. Tom was right when he told Bob Kraft, "I'm the best decision that this organization has ever made."

Now...if you want to name the best personnel move in each classification, the best trade the Pats ever made also happened: In 2000, the Patriots surrendered the No. 16 overall selection to hire Bill Belichick from the Jets, with both teams exchanging some lower-round picks, too. The No. 16 pick ended up traded to San Francisco in a deal that allowed the Jets to take Shaun Ellis — a productive player for many years for New York: http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/06/15/recalling-the-patriots-trade-for-bill-belichick/

The best free agency signing in Patriots history was the signing of LB Mike Vrabel from the Steelers in 2001.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from OnlyDaTruth. Show OnlyDaTruth's posts

In response to APpats22's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to kelvana33's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Eh I don't know...I'd say average at best.

[/QUOTE]

LOL.....april's fool day was 3 days ago!! Laughing

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

In response to PatsEng's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Luck or not it was still the greatest pick ever in the draft. Honestly when do you get a not arguable top 3 QB and arguable top QB of all time in the 6th round?

[/QUOTE]

It was arguably the greatest pick ever, even if it was luck. I'll take luck every time.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from rtuinila. Show rtuinila's posts

I agree with Muz, BB for a firstwas the bes pick ever

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from ANONMD08. Show ANONMD08's posts

[QUOTE]

In response to PatsEng's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

It was arguably the greatest pick ever, even if it was luck. I'll take luck every time.

[/QUOTE]

That was also a supplemental pick that year.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from ANONMD08. Show ANONMD08's posts

Brady was playing behind Brian Griese and Drew Henson at michigan.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Brady2Moss07. Show Brady2Moss07's posts

Here me out guys. I'm gonna go out on a limb here and say the 6th round pick we used on Tom Brady was the best ever.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from DoNotSleepOnThePats. Show DoNotSleepOnThePats's posts

Outside of the obvious of drafting Brady, I like that they took Drew Bledsoe instead of Rick Mirer.  Is it the best?  No.  But I was a huge Drew Bledsoe fan so I'm mentioning it.

Props to the 70's mention of Hannah, Stingley, and Cunningham.  I wasn't alive then but know just how great they were and how Jack Tatum cheaply ended Stingley's career.

Honorable mention to drafting Ty Law, another one of my favorites.

Best trade ever?  Gotta be a 4th rounder for Moss.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from pcmIV. Show pcmIV's posts

Best pick is easily Brady.

Best trade is probably a 4th for Moss although I guess if we aren't talking players trading for BB is probably better.

Best free agent I'd probably go with Rodney.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from mellymel3. Show mellymel3's posts

TB was pick 199, a 6th round compensatory pick...but what other QB did the Pats seriously consider taking with that pick, another QB Dick Rehbein (?) also scouted and recommended?

The best pick the Pats NEVER made...QB Tom Rattay