What is the one draft pick do you wish the Pats could re-do?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from FillmoreWest. Show FillmoreWest's posts

What is the one draft pick do you wish the Pats could re-do?

What draft pick do you wish the Pats could re-do or one they should have realistically traded up for (Percy Harvin in 2009 for example.)

A lot of people like to lament that we could have gotten Clay Matthews in 2009 but not only is he not a great fit for our system (weak against the run) through that convoluted trade we got Gronk and Edelman.

I think taking Maroney over Maurice Jones Drew in 2006 is the one I would change. Having MJD would have changed everything, assuming the Pats still traded for Moss and Welker the next year.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from LazarusintheSanatorium. Show LazarusintheSanatorium's posts

Re: What is the one draft pick do you wish the Pats could re-do?

2007, 2009, 2013...and 2008, save for Mayo, and 2011 save for Ridley.  Just those.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Thomas_Paine. Show Thomas_Paine's posts

I think waiting the 24 hours between rounds 1 & 2 in 2011 and watching the Pats draft Ras-I Dowling at #33 was the worst.

I don't know who specifically would have been better, pretty much anyone in the 2nd round that year outperformed him.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2011_NFL_Draft

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from freediro. Show freediro's posts

Laurence Maroney; where he was drafted sucked, he sucked, he sucked in big games, but at least he had the happiest feet in all of football.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Mediumsizednuts. Show Mediumsizednuts's posts

In response to LazarusintheSanatorium's comment:
    [QUOTE]

2007, 2009, 2013...and 2008, save for Mayo, and 2011 save for Ridley.  Just those.

[/QUOTE]See your to picky, Bill could take ten picks and spend them all on Dowling. You will not learn unless you go to Bills all you can eat nudist colony based in the ocean near flight 370.Do you know how to swim?

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from LazarusintheSanatorium. Show LazarusintheSanatorium's posts

In response to Mediumsizednuts' comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to LazarusintheSanatorium's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]See your to picky, Bill could take ten picks and spend them all on Dowling. You will not learn unless you go to Bills all you can eat nudist colony based in the ocean near flight 370.Do you know how to swim?

[/QUOTE]

Seriously...the way Belichick has performed in The NFL Draft for...ahhh, just shy of a decade now, is pretty insanely bad.  Hindsight being 20-20, is a an absurd excuse.  He chas the capability of accumulating picks like a blue whale gambler, yet coping with the fact that I consider ddraft day success to be a year where: 3 players can be starters and/or sub-package contributors, IS; Pathetic.  Figure, He has an average of 9 selections or so...and I think the total ratio was something like 9.something in that span.  I ain't aimin' too high with=3 guys that CAN start or be a good player in a sub-package.  Thus, going by that, 1 can only conclude:

2010 and 2012 did not svck.  Out of: 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, and 2013...at least.  2 out of 7 hits what any fan should consider as a "O.k./Not Bad/Successful" Draft Class.  '11 is...as with any year 3=A usual class of high expectations for that 3rd year 13-14 of development in to contributing personell.  Mehhh.  Trust me, '13...doesn't even have a chance.  3 years from now...we will not be having this discussion of "high expectations" for the '13 class to develop in to something good.  2010 & 2012.  When ya see the 1st 241st rated prospect with Selection #68...that's when you click off ESPN and nab a beer. 

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Muzwell. Show Muzwell's posts

1985, traded the 16th pick to the Niners who picked Jerry Rice.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from xxcodyfxx. Show xxcodyfxx's posts

For sure Laurence Maroney... We passed on deangelo Williams to take him I was PO at the time and still am.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from TeddyBruski54. Show TeddyBruski54's posts

I think the worst pick ended up being tied to another bad pick to combine for the worst pick"s"

In 2010 the Pat's drafted McCourty with the 27th overall pick in the 1st round, all in all not a bad pick-Then in the 2nd they took Gronk with the 42nd pick, when healthy he's proved the best TE in the NFL-Here's were they really screw it up: In the 3rd round they pass on Jimmy Grahem(95th pick) and then darft with the 90th pick Taylor Price(????????), they wanted to have this great tandem at TE and they pass on the ultra athletic Grahem from Miami to take a no name WR from Ohio?? No worries, they decide to pass on the solid Dennis Pita(114th pick) and draft Hernandez with 113th pick in the 4th round!

The moves there in the 3rd for Price really pissed me off but then in the 4th round taking a known criminal and problem child over the solid Dennis Pita was a huge gamble that didn't payoff!

Also, in 2009 when the Pat's traded down out of the 1st round with GB(and passed on Clay Mathews) for a bunch of meaningless picks in the 2nd really ticked me off as well--the 2nd round picks that year that we accumulated were: Chung, Brace and Butler(all stinkers)--I was huge fan of Mathews, his father and uncle were great players in the 80's and 90's and it was easy to see that he was cut from the same cloth.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from ATJ. Show ATJ's posts

The Ras-I Dowling pick.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from LittleTimmy31. Show LittleTimmy31's posts

Pats had a shot at Clay Matthews and traded down.....bad business

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Pats7393. Show Pats7393's posts

how about the first 3 picks of 2009!

Chung, Brace, Butler

Pats could have had:

Conor Barwin OLB/DE (one of the favorites in that year's mb draft thread)

LeSean McCoy RB

Jairus Byrd pick on spot after Butler by Bills turns into top 3 S in the game

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Quagmire3. Show Quagmire3's posts

In response to Muzwell's comment:

or when we passed on Andre Rison to pick Hart Lee Dykes....becasue he was taller...

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from OnlyDaTruth. Show OnlyDaTruth's posts

How about Crable? He got paid for riding a bicycle for 2-3 seasons.....

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from ATJ. Show ATJ's posts

In response to Quagmire3's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to Muzwell's comment:

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]
    or when we passed on Andre Rison to pick Hart Lee Dykes....becasue he was taller...

[/QUOTE]

Hey, Hart Lee Dykes is one of my favorite all time Pats players because:

#1, Tell me that his name isn't among the top NFL player names of all time; and

#2, Had the most interesting injury combo I've ever seen - fractured knee cap (game injury) and fractured eye socket (bar fight with Irving Fryar).

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

2012 the Pats took T. Wilson when they could have perfectly complimented the C. Jones and Hightower pick taking Reyes instead (someone a lot of the draft guys wanted and was the pick immediately after, shades of Dunlap and Jennings all over again). Imagine Reyes next to Wilfork with C. Jones on an end and our current LB's. That would have been dangerous.

In 2011 with the Ras pick I wanted Wilkerson bad. What would it have taken to use the 33rd pick and move up 4 spots to jump ahead of the Jets and grab Wilkerson instead of waiting back hoping someone wanted to give us picks for #33 and taking Ras when no one wanted to move up.

In either case a DT of Reyes or Wilkerson's ability could have really helped the last couple of years.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from theshinez. Show theshinez's posts

How about when we picked Chung over Jarius Byrd?

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from AZPAT. Show AZPAT's posts

I'm going old school..... all this early round OL that never panned out, like the Clem kid. I also recall a kid out of BYU, now doing college games (Mattich?). If memory serves, these pre-date BB, proving even a genius can have bad drafts.

Another choice that never panned out or stuck around to fulfill his draft position is Irving Fryer. So much talent, too dumb to know it. Who gets stabbed on the eve of the biggest game of his career (SB)?

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from theshinez. Show theshinez's posts

Hightower....He is TERRIBLE!!

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

This brings to mind that BB has cost us two 1st round draft picks. I would say, overall, he was worth them though.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

Maroney instead of Mangold was a doozy.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from tanbass. Show tanbass's posts

I suppose I could come up with at least a dozen picks I wasn't thrilled about over BB's tenure, but you could say that about every single GM in the NFL.

I may not like every pick he's made, but there's nobody I'd rather have running this team, and giving us a reasonable shot year in & year out.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from BostonSportsFan111. Show BostonSportsFan111's posts

Kenny Sims. Taken #1 overall, was suppossed to be THE great DL of his generation. I remember someone writing that between draft day and the start of training camp, his chest fell into his stomach.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

I'll continue to destroy a dead horse... I really, really, really wanted Randall Cobb in the 2011 draft and they took Shane Vereen.  Not a total miss as Vereen certainly has flashed some ability, but Cobb would be electric in this offense and in the return game.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

In response to mbeaulieu07's comment:
    [QUOTE]

I'll continue to destroy a dead horse... I really, really, really wanted Randall Cobb in the 2011 draft and they took Shane Vereen.  Not a total miss as Vereen certainly has flashed some ability, but Cobb would be electric in this offense and in the return game.

[/QUOTE]

Don't worry we got a second shot with McKinnon. The Cobb of QB->RB conversions. Btw he looks to have decent hands too  >.> 

Sections
Shortcuts