What is the problem?

1. This post has been removed.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Grogan77. Show Grogan77's posts

Re: What is the problem?

In Response to What is the problem?:
    [QUOTE]Ridingwiththeking says our offense is a problem and our defense is fine.
    Posted by BabeParilli[/QUOTE]

Babe this question is far too difficult to answer.  But I will give it a try by looking at some stats.

Right now the Pats have the #1 offense in the league with 104 total pts and 540 yds per game average.

The Defense is ranked 32th out of 32 teams, and giving up the most yards on average at 468.

I must say I still don't know what could be the problem with the Patriots.  This is a great mystery.

3. This post has been removed.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from HaverhillBob. Show HaverhillBob's posts

All of this talk about a balanced offence is bunk.  You don't need a balanced offense.  You need to put points on the board and win the TOP while your D is capable of not getting torched repeatedly.  We do two out three.  In this case, that is bad.
    All this ridiculous nostalgia about the days of Charlie Weiss is silly.  First, we had a better Oline, second we had better RBs, third, Brady was not the QB he is today, he's much better.  Our TOP has been better, on the whole, since Weiss's departure.  Our PPG are up substantially, our % pass (vs % run) was higher in 2003 than most years since.  
    Last year our D was pretty bad, but we got a lot of turnovers.  The games we lost, our D played the same as they always did, just without the turnovers.   Same thing this year.  You should not need to get 4 turnovers every game in order to win.     
    There is no connection between how often you pass and how well your D is able to play.  You are either capable of stopping teams or you're not.  If you've been on the field for 60% of the time heading into the 4th quarter, that's a different story, but it's not our story.

5. This post has been removed.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from user_4012856. Show user_4012856's posts

The problem is rather simple. The amount of passing yards per game by opponents is detailed below.

!) in 2007 the average passing yards per game against the Pats was 190 pypg.
    2)in 2008 the pypg was 201
    3) in 2009 it was 209 pypg.
    4) in 2010 it was 258 pypg a significant increase last year.
    5) Thru 3 games in 2011 the pypg is a whopping 377.

Call it what you want, BB, pass defense, secondary,.....we have a major problem here.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from HaverhillBob. Show HaverhillBob's posts

In Response to Re: What is the problem?:
    [QUOTE]In Response to What is the problem? : Babe this question is far too difficult to answer.  But I will give it a try by looking at some stats. Right now the Pats have the #1 offense in the league with 104 total pts and 540 yds per game average. The Defense is ranked 32th out of 32 teams, and giving up the most yards on average at 468. I must say I still don't know what could be the problem with the Patriots.  This is a great mystery.
    Posted by Grogan77[/QUOTE]

Brady, that's what.  You can't expect a D to play well only up 21-0 early.  That's too much to ask.  Knowing that teams have to pass most of the game is unfair for a defense.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from HaverhillBob. Show HaverhillBob's posts

[QUOTE]Sort of like your Jets allowing 234 yards to one RB last week, Phat Rex? bahwhhaa Oh, poor Phat Rex/Haverhill Bob.
    Posted by RidingWithTheKing[/QUOTE]

I don't think anyone here is as obsessed with the Jets as you are.  You can't go to long without mentioning them.  Troll!  Are you Phat Rex?

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from HaverhillBob. Show HaverhillBob's posts

[QUOTE]The problem is rather simple. The amount of passing yards per game by opponents is detailed below. !) in 2007 the average passing yards per game against the Pats was 190 pypg. 2)in 2008 the pypg was 201 3) in 2009 it was 209 pypg. 4) in 2010 it was 258 pypg a significant increase last year. 5) Thru 3 games in 2011 the pypg is a whopping 377. Call it what you want, BB, pass defense, secondary,.....we have a major problem here.
    Posted by baefbd0835b9c108eb57c49d63a5ab19[/QUOTE]

Brady's fault.  What is Bill thinking, playing Brady at CB?

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Grogan77. Show Grogan77's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: What is the problem? : Brady, that's what.  You can't expect a D to play well only up 21-0 early.  That's too much to ask.  Knowing that teams have to pass most of the game is unfair for a defense.
    Posted by HaverhillBob[/QUOTE]

Good point, but another poster on this board made I think nailed it.  He stated the offense scored too quickly, and that was unfair to the defense.  Maybe next time Brady scores a TD in 3 drives or less, BB should look to bench him.

11. This post has been removed.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsLifer. Show PatsLifer's posts

[QUOTE]I am not buying this "lack of talent". It's so ridiculous, dude. It really is. You don't become the best D over a month in December with "lack of talent". It just doesn't happen. We saw a nice progression last year.  Would you agree?  WHo did we lose? Meriweather, Sanders, Page? Ok. We should have kept Page. But, I like Chung. Chung is the guy.   And I like Sergio Brown.   Brown is good in coverage and tackles.  Chung is the guy who makes the calls. Our only real weakness on D is execution in man coverage, more consistency in pass rush and quality at OLB.  Everything is else is there. I do agree the longer drives against need some improvement and I think that coems with improved discipline and mayb more zone coverage. Let's face it, SD had mutliple drives extended on sketchy calls, as did Buffalo. Here are some stats, in the highest scoring/highest yardage 3 week NFL stretch in history, compared to where we were last year: PPG: 24/25  3rd D: 43.2%/50%  Passer rating: 94.6/100.5  Comp: 66.7%/69.4%  YPA: 9.0/8.2     Which of those is 2011 and which is 2010? The left column is 2011. The only failed improvement is YPA.  ANd that is tied to the overall context with regards to the offensive explosion by offenses through 3 weeks off a lockout. We're better in PPG allowed, which is clearly affected by Brady's 4 INTs (that should be lower) 3rd down D, passer rating and compl% by the opponent. And we faced SD and Buffalo. Buffalo is currently #1.  Maybe if we faced Jax last week, people wouldn't be doing this? Agree on everything else you said, but why on earth would anyone discount BB's coaching to improve what he has when we've seen it annually? Even in our WORST defensive years in 2002 and 2009, the D's improved, they were just beyond flawed and never jumped up tiers in order to be legit. This team is loaded with talent and nice pieces, upgraded from last year.

"...Brown is good in coverage and tackles.  Chung is the guy who makes the calls. Our only real weakness on D is execution in man coverage, more consistency in pass rush and quality at OLB.

That's probably 2/3 of a good defense right there Russ.

Honestly I don't know how you can say we have the talent. It's obvious based on your above response that you acknowledge our lack of play out of the OLB's, Safeties and DL. If these guys are not getting it done, what's the cause? Talent or Scheme? Again, I'm saying it's talent. We simply said have a very mediocre LB corps overall. Mayo is really the only one worth mentioning. Spikes, Fletcher, Cunningham, Nink, Guyton...all nice depth players, but I don't see any of those guys as quality starters, especially on a team that is suppose to win it all and, has had ample time and resources to restock at said positions. It's downright curious and frustrating to me that this is the D we are stuck with after so many debacles over the last 5 years, it clearly being our achilles heal, and having all the draft picks in the world to address it.

If you want to put blame on the shotgun/spread or whatever, saying we pass to much is the reason why the problems exist, I'll believe that, but simply said, it's certainly not the only reason.

I think Babe makes a good argument about the Oline and also the D. They simply fade away like a f art in the wind come big game time.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from HaverhillBob. Show HaverhillBob's posts

[QUOTE]4 INTs sure is, Phat Rex.

Can't expect a D to hold the Bills to less than 90 yards following a pick, right Phat Rex?

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from user_4012856. Show user_4012856's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: What is the problem? : Brady's fault.  What is Bill thinking, playing Brady at CB?

Obviosly you don't understand football. Kiss off...

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from HaverhillBob. Show HaverhillBob's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: What is the problem? : Obviosly you don't understand football. Kiss off...
    Posted by baefbd0835b9c108eb57c49d63a5ab19[/QUOTE]

I know that Brady is the worst CB in football.  He's slow, he can't tackle, gets deeked on double moves and I've never once seen him bump the receivers off the line.

16. This post has been removed.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsareNumberone. Show PatsareNumberone's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: What is the problem? : I know that Brady is the worst CB in football.  He's slow, he can't tackle, get deeked on double moves and I've never once seen him bump the receivers off the line.

If you're really from Haverhill I'm shocked that you're bragging about it. If so you must be one of those punks hanging out on the corner of Nichols and White street selling crack.  Do yourself a favor in the future. Don't get high off your own Supply.

18. This post has been removed.

19. This post has been removed.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from HaverhillBob. Show HaverhillBob's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: What is the problem? : If you're really from Haverhill I'm shocked that you're bragging about it. If so you must be one of those punks hanging out on the corner of Nichols and Winter street selling crack.  Do yourself a favor in the future. Don't get high off your own Supply.
    Posted by PatsareNumberone[/QUOTE]

I don't live there, but I did.  It's not all bad.  It's no worse than Lowell or Fitchburg. 

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from HaverhillBob. Show HaverhillBob's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: What is the problem? : It's Phat Rex aka LEon, Bejesus, etc, etc. He also claimed it wasn't a suburb of Boston.  lol Same old legendary Jets LOSER. He figured by picking a local town name with some basic old man name, and dancing around for a few weeks after Dallas handed his team the opener, he could sneak back in and fly under the radar. But, he slipped up wiith his tone, delivery and stalking and has been outed.

You're not to bright.  A suburb is a place that comes to be because of another city and is predominently residential.  A city is not a suburb simply based upon it's proximity to another city.  Haverhill is about as old as Boston.  I suppose you think Providence is a suburb too, right? 
    Are you from New Jersey, Phat Rex?

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

[QUOTE]We ran it all 4th qtr and luckily it worked, but before that time eating 4th, it was a close game and the shotgun spread was sketchy, with Brady throwing 2 INTs. THAT is my problem. It wouldn't havve been a 2 points game whatsoever without constant passing and no run game. Run more in the 1st half.

Like it has always been, you're going to take what the D is giving. If they try to thwart the spread with a bunch of dime schemes you can run. Otherwise, you use the spread or some variant these days.

The spread and the changes in contact rules have made scoring go up. We aren't going to be running a pro set very much as it does not provide the mismatches the spread will, and the contact rules also assure much a more robust passing game.

BB doesn't hear you.

23. This post has been removed.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from HaverhillBob. Show HaverhillBob's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: What is the problem? : Dear Phat Rex, No one cares to see you play these antics on the board. Take your loserdom and leave.

You're like a racoon.  Mostly just noisy and spreading trash around and then when backed into a corner you hiss and try to bite indiscriminatley.
    Just because you don't understand football or environs is no reason to lash out like a wild animal. 
    Is Providence a suburb of Boston?

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from PetesCall. Show PetesCall's posts

Yep...you hit the nail on the head!

[QUOTE]RUN THE DAMN BALL when you are leading 21-7 with 2 min to go at the half and in the red zone and at least get 3pts and leaves the oppenent with no time on the clock. It's called situational football. Got it?
    Posted by TSWFAN[/QUOTE]