What is up with all the Peppers talk?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Pats7393. Show Pats7393's posts

What is up with all the Peppers talk?

I don't know what's the love affair with this guy but he is not a good fit.  He has never played OLB, he's always played as a DE in a 43. 
    I would rather have a young player and teach the system than a 30 yr old DE trying to convert to OLB.

This guy will also command a big salary for what?  to see him get beat by RBs and TEs.  Really this guy unless we move to a 43 is not worth bringing to NE.  He has had good years in Carolina but as a DE not an OLB.

I would rather have Hughes or another of the stud OLBs in the draft than experiment with Peppers.  If he doesn't work out, pay him 8 mil a year for a passing down DE?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Low-FB-IQ. Show Low-FB-IQ's posts

Re: What is up with all the Peppers talk?

Haven't seen any threads started about getting him. Where was it? Zbellinos draft thread?

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheCommittee. Show TheCommittee's posts

There were a lot of people talking him up in the 2010 offseason thread. I doubt that he comes to NE, for reasons which have already been stated. Just too many question marks for too much money.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from MordecaiBloodmoon. Show MordecaiBloodmoon's posts

Say no to Peppers!!!!

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from carawaydj. Show carawaydj's posts

It amazes me as well.  I mean really, how many of the big ticket FA's live up to their contract and expectations?  What is it like 10% at best?  Peppers basically quit on his team the first year he was franchised and didn't like it.  Is this really what we want in here?  I think we all slammed players like Branch, Seymour, and Assante when they held out.  So holding out is a sin, but showing up and playing half-hearted is OK?  I think it's worse.  If you hold out, at least you are not collecting a paycheck.

We need some game changers, but for every Jared Allen there are a bunch of busts.  If we want a game changer, we either need to draft him, or get someone who will be one with a little development and system change.  Getting that type of player via trade or FA can happen, but not very often.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Paul_K. Show Paul_K's posts

<<IF>> Peppers can still pass-rush, BB will switch to a 4-3 on passing downs just to get Peppers on the field, Kraft will outbid most teams in this uncapped year, and Peppers will consider the Patriots to be the only available contender. 

If not, the guy can play backup somewhere.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from chrisakawoody. Show chrisakawoody's posts

I've been thinking about the no-cap era.  At first I thought, "Great, large market teams like the Pats are going to clean up."  Then I thought more about it. 

First, Kraft must have a heck of a mortgage on the stadium.  Most other clubs make their fans pay for the stadiums with tax-payer money. 

Second, Patriot Place is a financial boondoggle.  Kraft looks to be losing a fortune on that adventure.

Third, Kraft made his fortune in the packaging biz'.  With the economy the way it is, and with much of the manufacturing gogong out of the country, I have to presume that his business is not as good as it was 10 years ago.  And even if it is, a savy man like he would not pull money form one successful biz to lift another sagging biz.

I have a feeling the Pats will lose more than they gain in this uncapped era for these three reasons. But I find solice in knowing that Pittsburgh and Indy will  eventually get creamed in the uncapped era. Then again, our New York rivals will boom.  If you hate the Yankees outbidding the Sox for players, wait until you have the Jets trying to outbid the Pats for Brady and such.  If Damon can go to the Yankees...

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from carawaydj. Show carawaydj's posts

And let's not forget that he will likely be franchised again, meaning we'd have to trade for him.  So we would have to break the bank and give up draft picks and/or players.  

chrisakawoody, nice business case made for why they won't do this.  In fact, I think they may pay to retain their own players, but I sure will not hold my breath they'll pay big for someone else.

I think Breer pointed out today that an uncapped year means each team has 1 franchise tag and 2 transition tags.  That in conjunction with the extra years a player needs to become an unrestricted FA likely means this will be the worst year for FA's in the history of free agency.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from chrisakawoody. Show chrisakawoody's posts

Thanks CARAWAY. 

In return, you make good points about this year's F/A.  Makes a lot of sense.  Reiss wrote that he expected little of F/A, but w/o writing why.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from NickC1188. Show NickC1188's posts

I believe that Peppers has all of the physical skills to do what DeMarcus Ware does for the Cowboys.

Peppers can play zone - I've seen it with my own two eyes! (not in the game in the YouTube video I'm including, but I've seen him drop back on zone blitzes into flat and curl/hook zones)

(at 0:32, he makes a pick on a wheel/out route while in flats zone)

Also, pay particularly close attention to these sacks against the Saints and the Giants.  These are 2008 highlights, which means that Saints' Pro Bowl left tackle Jamaal Charles was healthy when he got abused by Peppers for at least the three sacks shown in this video.  Giants' left tackle Chris Snee is no chump, either.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from seattlemaslow. Show seattlemaslow's posts

I doubt Peppers will be franchised at $20 mil per. However, I still don't want him. Waaaaaay too much money and he could easily end up being AD v2.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from NickC1188. Show NickC1188's posts

On the uncapped bit and the idea that Kraft is "struggling," it does hold some merit from a relative standpoint.  I read on CNN Money that Kraft pumped up his P/E ratio (a reflection of investor confidence in the company) by using funny math.  Nonetheless, the company is still profitable.

He deals in condiments like mustard and barbecue sauce at such cheap prices that the demand is somewhat inelastic (meaning they'll buy the products no matter what).  Demand for his Mac & Cheese must be through the roof!  And with people cooking at home more often, I think his food holdings are doing just fine.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Pats7393. Show Pats7393's posts

Nick he's not the type of veteran the Pats needs to be bringing in.  Read Harley's post, he is 100% right.  This guys shows up when he wants and does not when he doesn't, hmm sound familiar?  We are all asking for AD to leave and asking for another jackA$@ to take his place?

Peppers is bad for the Patriots.

Low there has not been a specific thread on Peppers yet but look at all of the offseason threads.  They are filled with bring on Peppers.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from reegz04. Show reegz04's posts

Yeah but how sick would his tinted visor look on his pats helmet??? sooo nasty!!

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from mosseffect43. Show mosseffect43's posts

forget about him playing OLB.we dont even have a DE that is worth a s..t!so yes peppers would be a huge up grade on this defense.no more teaching the young guys.we saw what that got us this year,but i have to ask.who would be teaching the young guys?the other younger guys we have who couldnt get it done.as for peppers getting franchised.it wont happen.the panthers were strapped for cap room this past season.they couldnt afford to get what they needed.the only way peppers remains there is if he accepts much less money on a new contract.even if it will be a no cap year.

Sections
Shortcuts