What is up with the D?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from RiceintheHall. Show RiceintheHall's posts

What is up with the D?

The defense looked absolutely horrible.  I sure hope its a defense needing time to jell and not a talent issue.  The Bills are a pathetic offensive team and they looked really good against our defense.  We couldn't stop the run & had no passrush against a line starting 3 rookies.  Only bright spot, I though,  the DB's played OK.  Most of the time they were right on the receivers downfield and not running free like last year.  The defensive play calling was so ultra-conservative last year and they did the same last night.  I want  Romeo Crennel  back.  If our defense is this bad, maybe we should blitz more or do somthing to try and create some havoc. They were scary bad last night. 

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from rebels1520. Show rebels1520's posts

Re: What is up with the D?

In Response to What is up with the D?:
    The defense looked absolutely horrible.  I sure hope its a defense needing time to jell and not a talent issue.  The Bills are a pathetic offensive team and they looked really good against our defense.  We couldn't stop the run & had no passrush against a line starting 3 rookies.  Only bright spot, I though,  the DB's played OK.  Most of the time they were right on the receivers downfield and not running free like last year.  The defensive play calling was so ultra-conservative last year and they did the same last night.  I want  Romeo Crennel  back.  If our defense is this bad, maybe we should blitz more or do somthing to try and create some havoc. They were scary bad last night. 
    Posted by RiceintheHall

defense will get alot better... they made big plays when it absolutly had to late last night

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from BernieCarbo75. Show BernieCarbo75's posts

Yes, the D was horrendous most of the night. There was no series in the first half where the Pats stopped the Bills. The Bills always stopped themselves. We were lucky the Bills didn't score a lot more points in the first half. When the Pats rushed three the Bills had all day to throw. When we rushed four or blitzed, the Pats blew by the QB and he'd end up passing to a back. But I have to think it is first game cob webs and will take some time to gel...this weekend should be interesting

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from mjdkid100. Show mjdkid100's posts

The Defense only gave up 17 points.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from WarriorAssassin. Show WarriorAssassin's posts

In Response to Re: What is up with the D?:
    Yes, the D was horrendous most of the night. There was no series in the first half where the Pats stopped the Bills. The Bills always stopped themselves. We were lucky the Bills didn't score a lot more points in the first half. When the Pats rushed three the Bills had all day to throw. When we rushed four or blitzed, the Pats blew by the QB and he'd end up passing to a back. But I have to think it is first game cob webs and will take some time to gel...this weekend should be interesting
    Posted by BernieCarbo75

The D over compensated big time when the Pats blitz. Screen plays really showed how much they did that. I think it is a matter of the team just coming together. It's going to take 3 - 6 weeks to really see what this D is capable of. Do you feel since Seymour is gone, that this has hurt us?

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

Typical bend by don't break defense, not to mention Mayo was out most of the game.  They certainly weren't helped out by the Refs who kept 2 scoring drives alive with questionable calls (Wilfork/Thomas).

They did however make plays when they had too.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from pyegian. Show pyegian's posts

17 points isn't bad at all.  Most of the Bills yardage was picked up on screen passes that were misplayed by Mayo's replacements.  They definitely weren't great in the first half, but I was at the game and what I saw was corners who were actually around the receivers, safeties (Meriweather) flying all over the field, and very good run defense.  The linebackers are a concern if Mayo is out.  His injury didn't look bad, though.  I think the defense, while they didn't play great, showed that they will be far ahead of last year's defense as the year goes on.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from prairiemike. Show prairiemike's posts

I don't know as I would call the Bills a pathetic offensive team, but it's true enough that the defense did nothing to stop them in the first half. Ultimately, Buffalo took what the Pats were giving them, which was underneath stuff, but under no circumstances should a defense be giving up 20-yard screens. I think the Bills no-huddle offense gave the Pats both substitution and fatigue problems, but if the offense finishes off their drives the way we all expect it eventually will, there is no cardiac finish to this game.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from patsfansyr. Show patsfansyr's posts

I think that the Pat's decided to go with the bend not break approach, and not let TO or Lee Evans beat them. So they doubled those guys most of the night, leaving themselves vulnerable to the screens, and short passes to the backs and TE's.
    Fred Jackson looked like a monster, but that is  because the draws, short passes and screens he ran took advantage of the defensive gameplan.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from BrooklineRob. Show BrooklineRob's posts

It's a little too early to know what this D will do.  They will give up their share of yards I think, but give it some time.  You can't make an accurate assessment based on 1 game.  Can we stop with the "Pat's D stinks" threads until we know a bit more?  Give it a break. 

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from ShiningWizard. Show ShiningWizard's posts

I blame the coaching staff.  They simply refuse to come up with a creative, aggressive blitzing scheme, and they're not doing a very good job of coaching these guys on how to tackle.  Guys are either throwing their shoulders at or trying to drag down the ballcarriers instead of wrapping them up and stopping their momentum.  That's how it's been the last couple years.  I don't care if blitzing more exposes this defense to giving up big plays either.  I'd let guys like Bodden and Butler get physical with the receivers at the line with safety coverage deep.  Blitz more up the middle and stunt with the d-lineman.  Create pressure and confusion! The bottom line is this defense just isn't creating enough pressure as it stands right now, and taking a more aggressive approach would lead to more turnovers and getting Brady & Co. back on the field, which would more than offset the possibility of this defense giving up big plays.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from N2thaIzzo. Show N2thaIzzo's posts

I thought the D played well.  The 2ndary held TO and Lee Evans to 4 receptions I think.  The big plays came on screens, and you have to give Buffalo credit for executing those well.  They came up big on Buffalo's final possesion with a few sacks.  While I would have like to see them stop Buffalo from getting that last TD, all in all they get a B- in my book.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from JimKe. Show JimKe's posts

What's up?  No Harrison, Wilson, Law, Samuel, Vrabel, Johnson, Bruschi,

MCGinest, Phifer, Colvin, or Seymour. 

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Tnutts. Show Tnutts's posts

The D was fine last night

176 passing yds, 90 rushing yards, 4/10 on 3rd down 4 sacks 17 points

Here is the Steelers D thursday night

234 passing yds, 86 rushing yards, 4/13 on 3rd 1 sack 10 points

Does the Steelers D stink too?

Sections