What is with this roster?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from stegall85. Show stegall85's posts

Re: What is with this roster?

In response to Not-A-Shot's comment:

Amendola (injury prone)
    Edelman (7th rounder that plays like a 7th rounder)
    Boyce (rookie)
    Tompkins (rookie)
    Dobson(rookie)
    Slater (hasn't done anything...ever)
    Sudfeld (rookie)
    Hoomanawanui (?)

This is what the greatest GM of all time, with $10,000,000 in cap room, has given Brady.  If I were Tom Brady, I'd demand a trade.

You'd demand a trade even though the old and one dimensional WR group from last year is now younger, bigger, faster and appears just flat out better?

The starters on the o-line are back and the RB group is solid and perhaps deeper than last year.

I get the concern about inexperience but I'd be excited about this offense if I was Brady.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from provpats. Show provpats's posts

One of the things discussed a couple of years ago was the need to get younger and faster on both sides of the ball. Some of this is due to fas not working out (chad, fat Albert) draft picks (Chung et al) but overall needing to improve

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bungalow-Bill. Show Bungalow-Bill's posts

In response to rkarp's comment:

This roster does not feel like a BB roster as it currently sits. Does anyone ever remember a team like this to start a season? Assuming this is a SB contending team, is there too much youth and too little talent? 

-35% of the roster is first or second year players

-if Ghost starts the season with some misses, before this board erupts and calls for his head, lets remember that 33% of a successful FG is on the holder, and Allen has never done this in his life

-Talib in numerous seasons has missed games with injury. McCourty has played injured the past 2 seasons. Dennard may or may not be suspended. The replacements are Tavon Wilson and 2 rookies. 

-is LaGarrett Blount really an option at KR? If this team is going to be a 3 and 4 WR spread offense I want Boyce on the field, not getting nicked up on KR. In no uncertain terms do I wish to see McCourty on KR

-Kelly, Vince and who? This team needs another big body at DT

-I am of the opinion this is a better team with RasI, Love, Mesko and Washington on the roster. 

-no one knows any of the behind the scenes situations as the flow of information is non existent. Every one is cognizant of the cap. But does it seem every decision on the roster is made on the cheap? This team has had 2 years of very solid amount of cash to improve the team, and so far the results have been mediocre at best (including last years disaster) 

-can you tell I am not happy with this roster? 

-to repeat what so many have said on this board...thankul that TB is on this roster. Lucky the AFC east is still nothing to worry about (although I still have my eye on the Phins)

-still a week to go and changes can be made on the fly. Today, I am not a happy fan with this roster

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

In response to stegall85's comment:

You'd demand a trade even though the old and one dimensional WR group from last year is now younger, bigger, faster and appears just flat out better?

I'd demand a trade because the greatest GM of all time has supplied me with four rookies, two late round picks who have combined for four TDs and blocking TE and an injury prone kick returner transformed into a wideout who has never broken 700 yards receiving in a season.

What a joke.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from digger0862. Show digger0862's posts

I see another super bowl run.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from stegall85. Show stegall85's posts

[QUOTE]

I'd demand a trade because the greatest GM of all time has supplied me with four rookies, two late round picks who have combined for four TDs and blocking TE and an injury prone kick returner transformed into a wideout who has never broken 700 yards receiving in a season.

What a joke.

[/QUOTE]

Your concern is based upon uncertainty which I get, but everybody was a rookie at some point.

Most of the WR group needed to be replaced and it's more cost effective to do through the draft and with rookies genenrally than signing 3-4 vet FA's.

There's risk with vet FA's as well. I'm just saying it's too soon to judge the new guys, most of whom have looked pretty good so far.

Do you think it's a coincidence that all of Lloyd, Branch and Stallworth are currently unemployed?

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from GO47. Show GO47's posts

Amendola (injury prone)
    Boyce (rookie)
    Tompkins (rookie)
    Dobson(rookie)
    Sudfeld (rookie)
    Hoomanawanui (?)

This is what the greatest GM of all time, with $10,000,000 in cap room, has given Brady.  If I were Tom Brady, I'd demand a trade.

The starters on the o-line are back and the RB group is solid and perhaps deeper than last year.

I get the concern about inexperience but I'd be excited about this offense if I was Brady.

This has the potential to be one of the more balanced offenses that Brady has QB'd. Yes you have inexperienced wideouts as well as a new TE but they each bring a different element to the offense that makes it difficult for defenses to cover. One thing Brady is really good at is identifying mismatches this group will present a lot of them.

As an example we haven't seen Sudfeld and Gronk on the field at the same time yet. We've all seen Sudfeld in preseason and training camp and looks a lot like Gronk. Good reason since Sudfeld mentioned in a recent interview that Gronk has been schooling him in the art everyday. This is going to be a defensive coordinator's nightmare. You add one of the wideouts that can stretch the field or run a sideline pattern, it completely opens the middle of the field for underneath quick passes to the slot or running back. Tons of options...

Looking forward to seeing this unfold in the coming weeks.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

Your concern is based upon uncertainty which I get, but everybody was a rookie at some point.

Most of the WR group needed to be replaced and it's more cost effective to do through the draft and with rookies genenrally than signing 3-4 vet FA's.

There's risk with vet FA's as well. I'm just saying it's too soon to judge the new guys, most of whom have looked pretty good so far.

Do you think it's a coincidence that all of Lloyd, Branch and Stallworth are currently unemployed?

I don't care about cost effective.  There is $10,000,000 available to be spent.  There could be $22,000,000+ more spent if the GM didn't have so much dead money on his hands.

That those players are unemployed shows you how bad the GM has been lately at getting quality players in at WR.

Having rookies on the roster is fine.  Having rookie as 50% of your receiving corps, with not even one reliable option otherwise is a wreck.

Manning has Thomas, Decker and Welker.  Brady has Whos-he, Whos-that, and who-else.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from stegall85. Show stegall85's posts

[QUOTE]

I don't care about cost effective.  There is $10,000,000 available to be spent.  There could be $22,000,000+ more spent if the GM didn't have so much dead money on his hands.

That those players are unemployed shows you how bad the GM has been lately at getting quality players in at WR.

Having rookies on the roster is fine.  Having rookie as 50% of your receiving corps, with not even one reliable option otherwise is a wreck.

Manning has Thomas, Decker and Welker.  Brady has Whos-he, Whos-that, and who-else.

[/QUOTE]

There's no way to resolve this until we see how the rookies perform. Thomas and Decker are talented guys drafted by Denver. Dobson and Boyce look like talented guys drafted by NE. I get that they are unproven at this point.

Let's revisit this at some point down the road because it's admittedly a wait and see with all the young guys.

Experience is great but I'd take talent first and this year's WR group looks significantly upgraded in talent. NE had the #1 offense last year despite no one comparable on the outside to guys like Thomas and Decker.

I'm excited to see how this unfolds and overall I like the talent on NE's offense better than what Denver has, Thomas and Decker notwithstanding.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from wozzy. Show wozzy's posts

This team is better than it was a year ago, substantially better than two years ago when they were in the Super Bowl... stop smoking rocks.  

Please step away from the ledge, the sky isn't falling.  Belichick took the best, healthiest 53 football players from the 80+ he started with, regardless of whether they were the players you expected or were rooting for or against, these are the guys and I can't really question his moves.  

Fortson is back on the practice squad, Justin Francis is still unclaimed last I checked so he could be back at some point.  Beyond them there were some injuries which happen EVERY year and no, just because you were moaning about BB signing vets and retreads in the offseason that is not why they got injured, they got injured because football is a rough sport.

The addition of AJ Francis was a big reason why BB shed so many players, he has his core players and now is time to add the complimentary pieces from other teams who were heavy at those positions had to let go even if they didn't necessarily want to.

This team is very good, very deep...

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from portfolio1. Show portfolio1's posts

In response to BabeParilli's comment:

In response to mthurl's comment:

[QUOTE]

In response to tanbass's comment:

[QUOTE]

I have 2 concerns....DBs...which hasn't changed much at all....and DL (depth). Not sold by any stretch on the rookie DBs, but they do deserve a chance.

I want to see Buchanan get some reps on 3rd down.

The offense looks exciting to me. Yes, lots of rookies, and it will take some time to gel, but come December, this offense could be scary good.

I want to see BB pick-up a vet safety this week.

I'm looking at the defensive line situation as if Belichick thought...we can do better than Love and Deaderick with our eyes closed. I just don't think they expected to be this thin at this point - they got better with Kelly, but I don't think the grand scheme of things was to be signing undrafted free agent cast offs from Miami at this point. We shall see how it shakes out - I don't think they are too concerned with Buffalo or NY to start the season (almost as if it's an extended preseason), but this position will be changing greatly soon enough...the question is why it wasn't a priority from the very start. 

I wouldn't be surprised to see Bequette getting a few inside looks on passing downs because we are so thin at that spot right now.

[/QUOTE]

When you keep missing with high draft picks, you keep having to play catchup, and the more you miss the more desperate that gets.

[/QUOTE]

By desperate do you mean comensurate with the rest of the league and in fact in the top 25% or so?

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from stegall85. Show stegall85's posts

In response to wozzy's comment:

This team is better than it was a year ago, substantially better than two years ago when they were in the Super Bowl... stop smoking rocks.  

Please step away from the ledge, the sky isn't falling.  Belichick took the best, healthiest 53 football players from the 80+ he started with, regardless of whether they were the players you expected or were rooting for or against, these are the guys and I can't really question his moves.  

Fortson is back on the practice squad, Justin Francis is still unclaimed last I checked so he could be back at some point.  Beyond them there were some injuries which happen EVERY year and no, just because you were moaning about BB signing vets and retreads in the offseason that is not why they got injured, they got injured because football is a rough sport.

The addition of AJ Francis was a big reason why BB shed so many players, he has his core players and now is time to add the complimentary pieces from other teams who were heavy at those positions had to let go even if they didn't necessarily want to.

Exactly.

Can't wait for the real games to start. The Pats finished second in the AFC last year with a less talented roster than they currently have. 

Should be a fun season to watch unfold.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxfan94. Show redsoxfan94's posts

i look at it this way. 

The offense was sputtering in the playoffs anyway, and it was obvious that a change was needed. i will not be surprised if they end up being a better and more balanced offense come december and january than they were last year. yes, welker will be missed, and we all know about hernandez, but i think BB did a good job reloading the offense by bringing in amendola and a bunch of talented rookies who have impressed so far. hopefully gronk will be back sooner rather than later and is able to stay healthy. if that is the case, im confident this team will be right in the mix again and may be the favorite to represent the AFC in the super bowl.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from portfolio1. Show portfolio1's posts

Agreed. THere are always mistakes made but no one is perfect. This team keeps getting better. Maybe not as dominant as a perfectionist wants but an elite team.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

In response to NYC's comment:

And there is no accountability to the fans as to why any of this occurs.

Problem with that is too many homers in the fanbase. No changes will be forthcoming if that many fans find going 12-4 in the regular season (on Brady's back), then failing in the playoffs, acceptable.

At this point, "in Bill we trust" has become a mindless and blind mantra endlessly mumbled by football zombies.

When Brady is gone, the feel good is gone. Then many will act like they said so all along.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from NCPatsFan1971. Show NCPatsFan1971's posts

Well here we go again.  Kick off isn't until 1PM Sunday and most Doom and Gloomers are out in full force.  I too am concerned that the defensive secondary might make EJ Manuel or Jeff Tuel look like all pros.  OTOH, I'm willing to wait to see what happens on Sunday.

I'm also amazed at how other teams don't have injuries and or draft picks who don't work out.  

Seriously?  

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

In response to portfolio1's comment:

[QUOTE]

This team keeps getting better.

[/QUOTE]

Going from 3 SB wins in four years to zero for the last eight is your idea of "keeps getting better"?

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

Amendola (injury prone)
    Boyce (rookie)
    Tompkins (rookie)
    Dobson(rookie)
    Sudfeld (rookie)
    Hoomanawanui (?)

Which of the 31 other teams would you prefer to play for? 

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

In response to NCPatsFan1971's comment:

I'm also amazed at how other teams don't have injuries and or draft picks who don't work out.  

Well, some teams have managed to win SBs despite injuries and draft picks that haven't worked out in the last 8 years. A couple teams have won a couple of SBs despite those things. Imagine that.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

At which position do they have quality depth?

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

Without Brady, very mediocre.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from NCPatsFan1971. Show NCPatsFan1971's posts

In response to NYC's comment:
    [QUOTE]

And there is no accountability to the fans as to why any of this occurs.

Problem with that is too many homers in the fanbase. No changes will be forthcoming if that many fans find going 12-4 in the regular season (on Brady's back), then failing in the playoffs, acceptable.

At this point, "in Bill we trust" has become a mindless and blind mantra endlessly mumbled by football zombies.

When Brady is gone, the feel good is gone. Then many will act like they said so all along.

[/QUOTE]

Homer?  What are you guys talking about.  So perhaps you would rather see a bunch of vanilla wooses whose fandom switches from team to team as the weather changes. 

Come on Babe we've been around long enough to remember just how badly this team and its entire organization has stunk in the past.  So yeah, I'm a Homer and proud of it!

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from wozzy. Show wozzy's posts

Linebacker, offensive line, runningback, wide receiver... with the signing of AJ Francis they are as deep as they've ever been at DT, especially considering Armstead will be returning midseason.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from GO47. Show GO47's posts

In response to portfolio1's comment:

This team keeps getting better.

Going from 3 SB wins in four years to zero for the last eight is your idea of "keeps getting better"?

Babe,  We've heard the mantra on the GM over and over. Is there anything about this team that stimulates a positive thought towards this roster? If so please elaborate. Thanks!

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxfan94. Show redsoxfan94's posts

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

definitely running back and the whole defensive line, i believe the receiving core is pretty deep as well, and the o-line is a big strength of the team. they also seem pretty deep at linebacker. the secondary seems to be the only real shaky area for them, but if they have talib and dennard healthy they will be fine. hopefully logan ryan and duron harmon continue to perform well. 

Sections
Shortcuts