What is with this roster?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Salcon. Show Salcon's posts

Re: What is with this roster?

Let's face it, this season is doomed.

Belichick has no idea what he's doing.

He needs to take some GM advice from us forum members.  

There's only mediocre talent surrounding Brady.  He's the GOAT but can't do it all himself.

All joking aside, speaking from a fan's perspective and I know not everyone agrees with this but I just don't expect a Superbowl appearance every year.  I hope for one but don't expect it.

All these unknowns that everyone is talking about is what I find exciting.  I get to sit back and see how it all plays out. 

How much and which rookie wr's will contribute most?

How will the running game be used?  There's a FB on the team now if anyone has forgotten.

The Defensive front seven is obviously a big question mark.  It will be fun to see how they are utilized.  What combinations are used?  I suppose this will be an on-going experiment as the season goes on.  We more than likely didn't see anything close during preseason games as to what we're going to see for the regular season.

I'm hoping for the best but it should be fun regardless.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from TrueChamp. Show TrueChamp's posts

In response to rkarp's comment:

This roster does not feel like a BB roster as it currently sits. Does anyone ever remember a team like this to start a season? Assuming this is a SB contending team, is there too much youth and too little talent? 

-35% of the roster is first or second year players

-if Ghost starts the season with some misses, before this board erupts and calls for his head, lets remember that 33% of a successful FG is on the holder, and Allen has never done this in his life

-Talib in numerous seasons has missed games with injury. McCourty has played injured the past 2 seasons. Dennard may or may not be suspended. The replacements are Tavon Wilson and 2 rookies. 

-is LaGarrett Blount really an option at KR? If this team is going to be a 3 and 4 WR spread offense I want Boyce on the field, not getting nicked up on KR. In no uncertain terms do I wish to see McCourty on KR

-Kelly, Vince and who? This team needs another big body at DT

-I am of the opinion this is a better team with RasI, Love, Mesko and Washington on the roster. 

-no one knows any of the behind the scenes situations as the flow of information is non existent. Every one is cognizant of the cap. But does it seem every decision on the roster is made on the cheap? This team has had 2 years of very solid amount of cash to improve the team, and so far the results have been mediocre at best (including last years disaster) 

-can you tell I am not happy with this roster? 

-to repeat what so many have said on this board...thankul that TB is on this roster. Lucky the AFC east is still nothing to worry about (although I still have my eye on the Phins)

-still a week to go and changes can be made on the fly. Today, I am not a happy fan with this roster

Please elaborate. Are you thinking an invasion of the body snatchers scenario? Or do you invision more of a puppet master situation where aliens have actually latched onto his spine and are currently controlling his brain. In either case the situation is serious, and I'm very concerned. This could be the year where we fall under 10 wins.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from NCPatsFan1971. Show NCPatsFan1971's posts

In response to BabeParilli's comment:

In response to NCPatsFan1971's comment:
    [QUOTE]

I'm also amazed at how other teams don't have injuries and or draft picks who don't work out.  

Well, some teams have managed to win SBs despite injuries and draft picks that haven't worked out in the last 8 years. A couple teams have won a couple of SBs despite those things. Imagine that.

[/QUOTE]

Well sometimes "Stuff" happens including a football that sticks to the side of a helmut or an in the grasp call that doesn't get made or maybe just one pass for whatever reason doesn't get caught, or maybe even a Saftey on the first play of a SB.  Excuses no.  Reasons yes.

And you are right.  There could very well come a time when the team goes back to being a doormat of the league and we wont be worried about getting beat in the playoffs anymore.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from wozzy. Show wozzy's posts

Going from 3 SB wins in four years to zero for the last eight is your idea of "keeps getting better"?

They've been in two Super Bowls since then, been in the playoffs every year.  Considering most team rebuilds, even successful teams, more typically resemble the Giants being out of the playoffs for three straight years, than yes this team has been getting better and better...

Belichick spoiled Patriot's fans, some of whom allow themselves to think that winning three Super Bowls in four years is normal or "easy," he has spoiled you and you resent him for it, that's why you're constantly knocking him.  

Read some of these posts, you sound like spoiled, petulant children demanding candy, stomping your feet and screaming... get a grip.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

In response to wozzy's comment:

Linebacker, offensive line, runningback, wide receiver... with the signing of AJ Francis they are as deep as they've ever been at DT, especially considering Armstead will be returning midseason.

Help me understand the depth at wide receiver.  They have four rookies, an injury prone guy who hasn't caught for 700 yards in a season, a blocking tight end and kick returner.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from BostonSportsFan111. Show BostonSportsFan111's posts

The annual Chicken Little Memorial 'The Sky is Falling and Bill Belichick has lost it' thread... 

The 53 on the roster today will not be the 53 who make up the roster all seaon. The offense is loaded currently, very close to being the equal of last years team that led the league in scoring, only younger and potentially more explosive. The defense is in a little flux, lots of younger talent. BB is figuring out what he has and how to best use it. A few tweaks will happen to the roster, and by November 1st the Pats are looking solid, again.  

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from NCPatsFan1971. Show NCPatsFan1971's posts

[QUOTE]

Going from 3 SB wins in four years to zero for the last eight is your idea of "keeps getting better"?

They've been in two Super Bowls since then, been in the playoffs every year.  Considering most team rebuilds, even successful teams, more typically resemble the Giants being out of the playoffs for three straight years, than yes this team has been getting better and better...

Belichick spoiled Patriot's fans, some of whom allow themselves to think that winning three Super Bowls in four years is normal or "easy," he has spoiled you and you resent him for it, that's why you're constantly knocking him.  

Read some of these posts, you sound like spoiled, petulant children demanding candy, stomping your feet and screaming... get a grip.

[/QUOTE]

Thanks Wozzy. 

That about says it all.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bungalow-Bill. Show Bungalow-Bill's posts

In response to Not-A-Shot's comment:

At which position do they have quality depth?

Linebacker, offensive line, runningback, wide receiver... with the signing of AJ Francis they are as deep as they've ever been at DT, especially considering Armstead will be returning midseason.

Am I missing something on this Francis kid? You're talking about him as if he's the next Geno Atkins. I have never even heard of him. They have Vince, Kelly, Francis and Vellano. I'm not sold on that being quality depth especially if there is an injury.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxfan94. Show redsoxfan94's posts

[QUOTE]

Help me understand the depth at wide receiver.  They have four rookies, an injury prone guy who hasn't caught for 700 yards in a season, a blocking tight end and kick returner.

[/QUOTE]

without looking it up, can you name the broncos' 4th receiver?

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from wozzy. Show wozzy's posts

I guess you didn't watch the pre-season, or maybe you don't remember how far Brady went with Reche Caldwell... I'd love to elaborate but I feel myself getting dumber with each post.

This happens every year, the doom and gloomers say the end is near, that the dynasty is over... every year they are wrong.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from GO47. Show GO47's posts

I agree with you Wozzy. I suffered through the really bad years when they just were a terrible team from top to bottom and most times they would finish at the bottom. But when they won that first Super Bowl I always said we need to appreciate that year and that game because it may never happen again. Yet almost every year after that they've been one of the most competitive teams each year. But for some it's never enough....

Most cities would love to have our problem team. :-)

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from ghostofjri37. Show ghostofjri37's posts

Shocking how some of us haven't been hired as Pro Peronnel Directors or a a minimum work in an NFL front office.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from TrueChamp. Show TrueChamp's posts

[QUOTE]

I guess you didn't watch the pre-season, or maybe you don't remember how far Brady went with Reche Caldwell... I'd love to elaborate but I feel myself getting dumber with each post.

This happens every year, the doom and gloomers say the end is near, that the dynasty is over... every year they are wrong.

[/QUOTE]

Every single year, and it's mostly the same people. Coincidentally it is also the same people who say if we only had Gronk healthy we would have won, or if WW hadn't dropped a 30 yard pass. It's funny how that works. BB can't build a team to save his life but we are one bounce of the ball away from a super bowl win. As Pioli said, we as fans are spoiled.....well, most of us.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bungalow-Bill. Show Bungalow-Bill's posts

In response to russgriswold's comment:

In response to Bungalow-Bill's comment:

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

At which position do they have quality depth?

Am I missing something on this Francis kid? You're talking about him as if he's the next Geno Atkins. I have never even heard of him. They have Vince, Kelly, Francis and Vellano. I'm not sold on that being quality depth especially if there is an injury.

[/QUOTE]

Every NFL fan has never heard of 90% of your current Jets roster, Bustchise. You know why? Because your team really, really sucks.

[/QUOTE]

Sure, toolbag. Has your ego recovered from the embarassment of what happened with Wilson yet?

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from mia76. Show mia76's posts

Wow - a thread that actually has stayed on topic and not devolved into name calling! Too good to last, but just wow!

NYC - The Mesko cut ties directly back to the Vinatiere situation but not in the way you think - in Adams last contract year they brought in Robbie Gould but cut him at the end of training camp - and the Bears grabbed him off the street. Adam walked the next year when he wnted too much money and Gould has been one of the best kickers in the league ever since. Flash forward and you have the same kind of situation with Mesko this year. Money wasn't the issue this year as much as for all the following years.

Team wise - Offense looks to be as good as last year while becoming more diverse and younger and with a lot more upside for future years.

Defense - at this moment a bit of a strange mix that may have to do with some scheme shifting, but may also just be in flux - I am expecting a few more moves in the next week with 'cast-offs' and cuts, but also with some vets possibly after week one when salaries are no longer guaranteed. I do think a lot of DCs are scrambling for ways to attack the run option that is the latest fad on offense - and part of that may be faster smaller front 7 players. But overall I think this defense looks a little stronger than last years initial roster.

As for the 'other teams' cast-offs' - really like picking up AJ who had a great preseason and may be a significant upgrade over last years reserves and second starter. And I would not be surprised if we sign another DT from that same cast-off pile. A number of teams were stacked at DT and have had to cut some pretty good players.

On Cap management and free agency - yes, there are all sorts of games you can play, but eventually everyone takes a hit if they overspend. You saw it with Pitt and NYG and NYJ and Balt this past year and with a team like Miami who spent big this off season the problems will surface in two or three years. 10M in cap is typical for the Pats at this point - it allows for adjustments during the season and extension to players whose contracts are coming up next year. And this is the same process that all of the better GMs use. And back end roster churn is one of the things BB is very good at.

And just another name came across the cuts list - Andre Carter is available again. Don't expect him back, but more likely and probably better than Seymour at this point.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from NYC. Show NYC's posts

It's not about the dynastry being over; it's not about doom and gloom. It's not about being negative. 

It is about shock and awe.  Very few free agents accept Kelly and Amendola are stilll with the team, we let a reliable good punter go over $900,000; we pick up several guys off the scrap heap we don't know anything about and we have no explanations coming. How is one supposed to feel?

It's hard to focus on the good stuff we potentially do have (Thomkins, Sudfeld, maybe Sims on PS?) when this stuff happens. No other sport is like this. We have relative stabiltiy with the C's and Sox's rosters. How do expect fans to feel when management makes change after change with no explanation and no accountability.  

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from NCPatsFan1971. Show NCPatsFan1971's posts

Want to add that I was not surprised at all that Washington was cut.  Veteran or no veteran, I think he might have had one return that was half way decent during Pre Season.  Other than that, he wasn't any better than what we had for returners last year and that's not saying much.  Plus Washington made at least one dumb rookie play where he fielded a ball he shouldn't have.  So it just wasn't a salary move.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from wozzy. Show wozzy's posts

In response to GO47's comment:

I agree with you Wozzy. I suffered through the really bad years when they just were a terrible team from top to bottom and most times they would finish at the bottom. But when they won that first Super Bowl I always said we need to appreciate that year and that game because it may never happen again. Yet almost every year after that they've been one of the most competitive teams each year. But for some it's never enough....

Most cities would love to have our problem team. :-)

This^

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from zbellino. Show zbellino's posts

This roster does not feel like a BB roster as it currently sits. Does anyone ever remember a team like this to start a season? Assuming this is a SB contending team, is there too much youth and too little talent? 

-if Ghost starts the season with some misses, before this board erupts and calls for his head, lets remember that 33% of a successful FG is on the holder, and Allen has never done this in his life

-Talib in numerous seasons has missed games with injury. McCourty has played injured the past 2 seasons. Dennard may or may not be suspended. The replacements are Tavon Wilson and 2 rookies. 

-is LaGarrett Blount really an option at KR? If this team is going to be a 3 and 4 WR spread offense I want Boyce on the field, not getting nicked up on KR. In no uncertain terms do I wish to see McCourty on KR

-I am of the opinion this is a better team with RasI, Love, Mesko and Washington on the roster. 

-no one knows any of the behind the scenes situations as the flow of information is non existent. Every one is cognizant of the cap. But does it seem every decision on the roster is made on the cheap? This team has had 2 years of very solid amount of cash to improve the team, and so far the results have been mediocre at best (including last years disaster) 

-to repeat what so many have said on this board...thankul that TB is on this roster. Lucky the AFC east is still nothing to worry about (although I still have my eye on the Phins)

-still a week to go and changes can be made on the fly. Today, I am not a happy fan with this roster

I, for one, thought it was interesting to see Blount in there at KR. Paradoxically, he has size, but his greatest strength is open field running.

One of the mismatches this could potentially develop is a "big" or "little" coverage team. If opponents are bringing in more linebackers and less smaller players to help cover Blount, then it could slow things down for the other KR.  

Should be interesting to see. 

That said, I expect something like Boyce with Slater or some other player backing him up. Blount is primarily a running back.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from ghostofjri37. Show ghostofjri37's posts

In response to zbellino's comment:

[QUOTE]

I, for one, thought it was interesting to see Blount in there at KR. Paradoxically, he has size, but his greatest strength is open field running.

One of the mismatches this could potentially develop is a "big" or "little" coverage team. If opponents are bringing in more linebackers and less smaller players to help cover Blount, then it could slow things down for the other KR.  

Should be interesting to see. 

That said, I expect something like Boyce with Slater or some other player backing him up. Blount is primarily a running back.

[/QUOTE]

Don't be shocked to see Boyce and or Vareen back there at times.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

In response to NYC's comment:

It's not about the dynastry being over; it's not about doom and gloom. It's not about being negative. 

It is about shock and awe.  Very few free agents accept Kelly and Amendola are stilll with the team, we let a reliable good punter go over $900,000; we pick up several guys off the scrap heap we don't know anything about and we have no explanations coming. How is one supposed to feel?

It's hard to focus on the good stuff we potentially do have (Thomkins, Sudfeld, maybe Sims on PS?) when this stuff happens. No other sport is like this. We have relative stabiltiy with the C's and Sox's rosters. How do expect fans to feel when management makes change after change with no explanation and no accountability.  

And that's just it, we headed into the last three off seasons with loads of money to spend and come away with virtually nothing. Not good. We saved and saved and saved...planned for the future...pushed today into tomorrow with hopes it will lead to a brighter day. Then we end up with A. Wilson.

I've listened to the same koolaid drinkers for the last five years - how we are all spoiled, how we need to wait till next year, how we can't expect to win it every year, we don't know what we are talking about, etc. I'll tell you what, you could put a blind fold on a person, have him throw darts at random names on a wall and he would do no worse than the players we have brought in here over the last three years during free agency. Perhaps better. That's the god's honest truth.

Typical koolaid article from a year ago...

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1113287-bill-belichick-new-england-patriots-gm-is-quietly-crushing-free-agency

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxfan94. Show redsoxfan94's posts

they dont owe an explanation, its a business and they do what they think is best for them. as for mesko, it would have been nice if they would have kept him, but the guy they kept outperformed mesko is the preseason and is a lot cheaper. mesko also was 28th in the league last year, not exactly elite. at least let the season play out before you start demanding these explanations. as it stands now, the pats have a very talented roster and have as good a shot as any team to win it all this year.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bungalow-Bill. Show Bungalow-Bill's posts

In response to russgriswold's comment:

Yeah, I am really "embarrassed" because a player got hurt and was put on IR. Simply mortified.

lmao

Ya and he was in such great shape prior to getting hurt that he was playing well into the 4th quarter of preseason games. LMAO@U.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from zbellino. Show zbellino's posts

I think the starters are a good group, really about as good as you could salvage when you lost your #1 target and yout #3 target. 

But it seems like they replaced them wit real talent. Amendola looks like he can be close to what Welker was, and Sudfeld looks like he could at least gt the reps that Hern did -- before people jump on this ... Hern averaged this line: 58 rec/652 yds/6 TDS. Everything Sudfeld has shown indicates something close to this could be done. 

And then, lets not underestimate the Thompkins impact. What perimeter WR has looked this good for NE since Moss? Really. Ocho? A broken down Branch who was reliable but never made a real play and couldn't get open against any good corners? Lloyd, who was ok, but couldn't get separation and had a horrible YAC? 

Thompkins already looks like the answer there. 

And on defense, yes Adrian Wilson was a bit of a miss, but I never fault BB for trying vets. Exhibit A ... Kelly looks like the best interior pass rusher they've had in years. Jones looks bigger and badder than last season too. Sure, they still have a weakness at SS, but all in all the defense is incrementally improved again.

So that brings us to the one big roster flaw right now ... depth.

Yeah, it is something to worry about ... this team, perhaps worse than other recent years, doesnt't have SB quality depth on the roster at any position save RB and LBer. Hopefully that can be addressed in time. 

But starter for starter ... I really like the team. Really. 

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from mia76. Show mia76's posts

Really - We have 10 of 11 starters on defense and the 11th is an obvious upgrade of Kelly for Love. On offense outside of receiver and tight end the offense is the same. And TE is on the list because of injury and a murder. And you are comparing this with the Celtics and Red Sox who both have just gome through significant purges of almost all their star players?!! And this in a sport with a real fixed salary cap and not a luxury tax situation.

Most people on here are complaining about too little roster turnover and you think we have too much.