Re: What is with this roster?
posted at 9/2/2013 5:27 PM EDT
In response to PatsEng's comment:
In response to ATJ's comment:
Truly a rather typical BDC Pats forum thread. I have a couple of questions to those who have absolutely vilified BB and this 53 man roster but first my concerns about the roster:
1) Depth at DT is questionable;
Agree, and considering the lack of an effective pass rusher the last number of years, especially from the interior to me this is one I really scratch my head about. Esp since BB is known for deep DL's. This could also effected the secondary
2) Starting secondary should be good, not great, good. Could improve over the season. Depth here is rather young.
It's essentially the same group as last year which showed some improvement as the year progressed but was still a subpar secondary as a whole. I expect them to get better but the depth being unproven is a strong worry and the lack of depth on the DL might hurt the secondary than the extra year improved it
Those are my concerns.
Now my questions.
1) This team better with Ras I, seriously? The guy couldn't stay on the field. Please, don't say if he's healthy he's better. Can't cover squat if you're not on the field. (Yeah, I'm disappointed that he couldn't cut it, doesn't change my question.)
Yeah I wasn't expecting much from Ras and thought he was on the buble to begin with. Ryan should replace him easily but they should have done more with the extra cap space
2) Slater hasn't done anything? Really? One of the best ST players in the league. He's not supposed to be on the roster as a wideout.
Love Slater enough said
3) Which way do you want it? The guy completely remakes the wideout roster because it was deficient and he gets criticized for it? Egad.
I think people are concerned because of the amount of youth. The odds of all three being productive without hiccups aren't in the Pats favor. And the two vets have missed more games than played in the last two years doesn't help with those concerns.
4) The team is young on both sides of the ball. For a team that has been a contender ever since BB got here and will be this year and why is this an issue. For crying out loud. BB is criticized cause his team is geting old and now he takes in the ear because they're young.
They are young but they dont last on the team because most aren't that good. How many draft picks have we seen cut after a couple years and how many UDFA's join the team every yera and last for more than a year? If you have 12+ players who have a year or less experience on the team and they barely last more than a year then they aren't that good to begin with. You need a healthy balance and you need youth to stick around. One's that only last a year or two don't help the team other than bringing the average age of the roster down
5) Mesko released; Allen gets the job and this is a problem? As others have pointed out Allen may be the best punter coming out of college in years and he's on the Pats roster for dirt money.
Mesko was a proven consistent punter, Allen is a bit of an unknown. High potential but it's a concern until w see him do it on gameday
6) Season has started yet. We have no clue what the injury picture will be going forward and the guy keeps some cash set aside (albeit $10 million) for contingencies and he's an idiot for not spending to the cap. Really?
Please tell me what player is worth spending that much on after cuts or off teh street FA's. Wouldn't the funds have been better spent on some of the concerns you yourself have? SS's, DT's, and CB's went for short term deals for much less than previous years. Since $5mil is lost when the season ends and that $5mil could have been used on more depth wouldn't you have preferred to do that over going into the season with more ? marks
7) Here it is please I am asking for someone to provide a credible refutation of the info in this link: http://www.coldhardfootballfacts.com/content/decade-the-making-the-ultimate-nfl-draft-grades/2419/
Don't nitpick the draft picks. Provide something authoritative if you would please that demonstrates that BB is the putrid GM some on this forum contend that he is.
This article is from 11' and doesn't reflect resent cuts or failures. Heck 1 of the pro-bowlers was Meriweather and it goes back to 00'. Not many players from 00' are still currently on the roster. But how about the last 5 years. How many high picks just haven't contributed anything and have been cut or look like they could be cut during/end of year? Heck they have Ras as a bodes weel pick
I like this 53-man and yeah, I'm a fan and I'm a fan of the way the team does business.
Overall I'm less concerned by the O but the D scares me. I thought they were moving in the right direction but this offseason feels like they are a shell. Outside of starters I have major concerns about everything but the LB's on D which doesn't give me the warm and fuzzies since the D has been the biggest issue the last couple years and the area they've spent the most resources in to fix
Don't really want to get into a back and forth because I'd rather not take up space. Just a couple of points:
1) I'm less concerned about the rookie wideouts. Sooner or later an overhaul was necessary and it's done. We'll simply have to wait and see.
2) I'm also less concerned about the youth movement on D as a matter of fact I like it. Is this a SB caliber D? Dunno. It's an awfully young one but we'll see.
3) I don't expect BB to spend $10 mil on one player but I do expect that some of that money, hopefully the $5 mil, this year to meet the team's needs. If he doesn't I'm not going to open a vein over it.
4) Drafting can't be evaluated with a snapshot. Peformance over an extended period of time is the only truly accurate way of doing so and the cold hard piece points that out.
Am I convinced that this team is a playoff contender? Absolutely. SB contender? Time will tell.