What is with this roster?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from TripleOG. Show TripleOG's posts

Re: What is with this roster?

In response to rkarp's comment:

In response to TripleOG's comment:

This roster does not feel like a BB roster as it currently sits. Does anyone ever remember a team like this to start a season? Assuming this is a SB contending team, is there too much youth and too little talent? 

-35% of the roster is first or second year players

-if Ghost starts the season with some misses, before this board erupts and calls for his head, lets remember that 33% of a successful FG is on the holder, and Allen has never done this in his life

-Talib in numerous seasons has missed games with injury. McCourty has played injured the past 2 seasons. Dennard may or may not be suspended. The replacements are Tavon Wilson and 2 rookies. 

-is LaGarrett Blount really an option at KR? If this team is going to be a 3 and 4 WR spread offense I want Boyce on the field, not getting nicked up on KR. In no uncertain terms do I wish to see McCourty on KR

-Kelly, Vince and who? This team needs another big body at DT

-I am of the opinion this is a better team with RasI, Love, Mesko and Washington on the roster. 

-no one knows any of the behind the scenes situations as the flow of information is non existent. Every one is cognizant of the cap. But does it seem every decision on the roster is made on the cheap? This team has had 2 years of very solid amount of cash to improve the team, and so far the results have been mediocre at best (including last years disaster) 

-can you tell I am not happy with this roster? 

-to repeat what so many have said on this board...thankul that TB is on this roster. Lucky the AFC east is still nothing to worry about (although I still have my eye on the Phins)

-still a week to go and changes can be made on the fly. Today, I am not a happy fan with this roster

Now u sound like me a week ago,,,,lol. I told you I was concerned with AW and his lack of good news in camp and our lack of DT depth and u shook it off and now u are concerned too. That AW was a big blow cuz now we are back to having 2 Cbs play safety and thats not ideal.

I am unsure what you are talking about. Pls try english if you wish to discuss

Try English Rkarp?  If u dont wanna answer than say that, but I speak and write english very well. Care to point out what u dont understand? Let me try again, cuz I dont want you to hurt your brain. 2 weeks ago YOU posted about what u saw in camp. I said it was a sobering assesment because AW was supposed to help this secondary and u agreed that he looked like a bubble player. I expressed this to you as well as my concern with lack of DT depth, but u told me dont worry and a week later you have the same worries. Do you get that?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

This roster does not feel like a BB roster as it currently sits. Does anyone ever remember a team like this to start a season? Assuming this is a SB contending team, is there too much youth and too little talent? 

-if Ghost starts the season with some misses, before this board erupts and calls for his head, lets remember that 33% of a successful FG is on the holder, and Allen has never done this in his life

-Talib in numerous seasons has missed games with injury. McCourty has played injured the past 2 seasons. Dennard may or may not be suspended. The replacements are Tavon Wilson and 2 rookies. 

-is LaGarrett Blount really an option at KR? If this team is going to be a 3 and 4 WR spread offense I want Boyce on the field, not getting nicked up on KR. In no uncertain terms do I wish to see McCourty on KR

-I am of the opinion this is a better team with RasI, Love, Mesko and Washington on the roster. 

-no one knows any of the behind the scenes situations as the flow of information is non existent. Every one is cognizant of the cap. But does it seem every decision on the roster is made on the cheap? This team has had 2 years of very solid amount of cash to improve the team, and so far the results have been mediocre at best (including last years disaster) 

-to repeat what so many have said on this board...thankul that TB is on this roster. Lucky the AFC east is still nothing to worry about (although I still have my eye on the Phins)

-still a week to go and changes can be made on the fly. Today, I am not a happy fan with this roster

Now u sound like me a week ago,,,,lol. I told you I was concerned with AW and his lack of good news in camp and our lack of DT depth and u shook it off and now u are concerned too. That AW was a big blow cuz now we are back to having 2 Cbs play safety and thats not ideal.

Try English Rkarp?  If u dont wanna answer than say that, but I speak and write english very well. Care to point out what u dont understand? Let me try again, cuz I dont want you to hurt your brain. 2 weeks ago YOU posted about what u saw in camp. I said it was a sobering assesment because AW was supposed to help this secondary and u agreed that he looked like a bubble player. I expressed this to you as well as my concern with lack of DT depth, but u told me dont worry and a week later you have the same worries. Do you get that?

Now I do. Tku. I was unsure what AW meant in your first post. I thought you were refering to a position not a player ( like you refered to DT)

I made my comments about Wilson and the DT depth back at OTA's and saw nothing all summer that made me change my mind.

glad you concur

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from SilverSun. Show SilverSun's posts

In response to Not-A-Shot's comment:

Amendola (injury prone)
    Edelman (7th rounder that plays like a 7th rounder)
    Boyce (rookie)
    Tompkins (rookie)
    Dobson(rookie)
    Slater (hasn't done anything...ever)
    Sudfeld (rookie)
    Hoomanawanui (?)

This is what the greatest GM of all time, with $10,000,000 in cap room, has given Brady.  If I were Tom Brady, I'd demand a trade.

Bill the GM should be canned.  He doesn't help Bill the Coach at all.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from skinnyrexraptor. Show skinnyrexraptor's posts

In response to csylvia79's comment:

In response to skinnyrexraptor's comment:

Teams that get too close top the cap end up having to cut decent players to meet immediate needs in OTHER positions...it hems them in...it makes sense....it hurts long term plannin g and cap management...it's stupid management...no business can operate successfully over time if it's flexability is deterred/ limited and operating marign is too tight...

Are you Rusty?

NOPE!!!!~!!

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Section136. Show Section136's posts

I think that was pretty clear...are you trying to be Rusty here?

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Section136. Show Section136's posts

In response to russgriswold's comment:

In response to TrueChamp's comment:

That list was from the beginning of training camp.  Here's the list of teams that spent more than the Pats from the start of the season:

Vikings:  $8.2 million. Wild Card

Dolphins:  $7.1 million.

Packers:  $6.9 million. Division winner

Cardinals:  $6.6 million.

Redskins:  $6.1 million. Division winner

Jets:  $5.9 million.

Cowboys:  $5.7 million.

Colts:  $5.3 million. Wild Card

Panthers:  $5.3 million.

Bears:  $4.5 million.

Saints:  $4.1 million.

Rams:  $4.0 million.

Chargers:  $3.5 million.

Raiders:  $2.3 million.

Giants:  $2.2 million.

Lions:  $2.0 million.

Steelers;  $1.6 million.

Ravens:  $1.4 million. Superbowl

Falcons:  $1.3 million.  NFL Conference

Texans:  $882,000. Division winner

49ers:  $880,000.  Superbowl

Tell us again, just one more time, how team that spend too close to the cap suck.

So, you think that because these teams spent more money then they are smarter with their cap room? This is a goodsituation? We just came off back to back afc championship games. Besides the ravens( winning the SB) losing half their roster, what did the rest of them do the last 2 seasons?

Don't you find it suspicious he left the Pats off this list?

He still hasn't sourced his list. Also, his numbers changed. He had Balt at 606K and now it's 1.4 million.

Very suspicious.

Until he sources his material, he'll be considered a sneak and a liar, which we know he is anyway.

Lions, Chargers, Giants, Saints, Steelers, etc...There are like 10 teams who are making cap mistakes, and he points to two teams who haven't been affected yet in SF and ATL.

LMAO

What a moron.

No it's you

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

In response to DoNotSleepOnThePats' comment:

How about winning the division 9 out of the last 10 years in the Salary Cap era and consistently in the playoffs even with major roster turnover on defense and offense?  It's hard to win the Super Bowl.  Damn hard.  Do you know how many Redskins, Browns, Lions, Jets, and several other teams fans would kill to have that track record?  The Patriots are a Super Bowl contender every year.  It's hard to win in the NFL let alone a Super Bowl every year.  They've been to two Super Bowls since the last one they won.  It sucks to lose the big game but to make it there twice in the past 6 years?  Pretty impressive if you ask me.  Nobody is crying for Pats fans especially since Brady is the QB and Bill is the coach.

With a QB as great as Tom Brady, they should have been able to win at least one more since the 2004 season.

I'll bet Bills fans didn't feel spoiled in the early 90's.

8. This post has been removed.

9. This post has been removed.

10. This post has been removed.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from APpats22. Show APpats22's posts

In response to Bungalow-Bill's comment:

Lol Sudfeld is better than Hernandez huh? Just a few months ago all of the eternal optimists and super fans had Hernandez forgetting who Welker was. Now that he's gone a kid who has never played a real game is better than him.

Lets try and wait a few games.

2+2=5

+1 people are settig this kid up for failure if he doesn't meet their unreasonable expectations. He's still a rookie.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from DoNotSleepOnThePats. Show DoNotSleepOnThePats's posts

In response to DoNotSleepOnThePats' comment:

How about winning the division 9 out of the last 10 years in the Salary Cap era and consistently in the playoffs even with major roster turnover on defense and offense?  It's hard to win the Super Bowl.  Damn hard.  Do you know how many Redskins, Browns, Lions, Jets, and several other teams fans would kill to have that track record?  The Patriots are a Super Bowl contender every year.  It's hard to win in the NFL let alone a Super Bowl every year.  They've been to two Super Bowls since the last one they won.  It sucks to lose the big game but to make it there twice in the past 6 years?  Pretty impressive if you ask me.  Nobody is crying for Pats fans especially since Brady is the QB and Bill is the coach.

With a QB as great as Tom Brady, they should have been able to win at least one more since the 2004 season.

I'll bet Bills fans didn't feel spoiled in the early 90's.

They should have won Super Bowl XLII but the defense couldn't stop a helmet catch (and tons of holding) and the Giants defense got to Brady consistently.  People forget that Brady connected with Moss on the go ahead TD but the defense got screwed on some lucky bounces for the G-Men on the drive that followed the go ahead TD.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from wozzy. Show wozzy's posts

In response to Bungalow-Bill's comment:

Lol Sudfeld is better than Hernandez huh? Just a few months ago all of the eternal optimists and super fans had Hernandez forgetting who Welker was. Now that he's gone a kid who has never played a real game is better than him.

Lets try and wait a few games.

Belichick reloads.

I'll enjoy watching them ring the jests up for forty or so in week two, I was just saying to a buddy that we're lucky to have two cream puffs to start the season and both in New York.  We can shake the rust off on them.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

^^He just happens to not be a moron, CSylvia.

Nice job splitting the infinitive, dope.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

Stephen Hill is a 2nd rd bust for them already and we have 3 WRs as rookies that look light years above Hill already.

In any football conversation, being a Pats fan, I'm going to avoid talking about second round busts at all costs in hopes that no one brings up Brace, Butler, Cunningham, Dowling, Chung, Wheatley, Jackson, or Hill.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bungalow-Bill. Show Bungalow-Bill's posts

Kid, that''s PHat Rex/Bustchise, etc.

He's jealous. His teams WRs and TEs blow. Stephen Hill is a 2nd rd bust for them already and we have 3 WRs as rookies that look light years above Hill already.

Sudfeld is just the cherry on top with Hernandez not here anymore.  No one is saying he will be as good as Hernandez at all. They're talking about that kind of a role being addressed so quickly in terms of Sudfeld being used similarly.

Yup, thats me, phat rex lol. That "kid" is ten times smarter and more mature than you are, Brady basher. I'm curious to see if Dobson has a slow year if you will declare him a bust next offseason too?

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Sobchack. Show Sobchack's posts

In response to SilverSun's comment:

Amendola (injury prone)
    Edelman (7th rounder that plays like a 7th rounder)
    Boyce (rookie)
    Tompkins (rookie)
    Dobson(rookie)
    Slater (hasn't done anything...ever)
    Sudfeld (rookie)
    Hoomanawanui (?)

This is what the greatest GM of all time, with $10,000,000 in cap room, has given Brady.  If I were Tom Brady, I'd demand a trade.

Bill the GM should be canned.  He doesn't help Bill the Coach at all.

You're a dork and a moron, so you don't get to have a vote. Go back to playing dungeons and dragons or whatever it is you usually do.

A few things to know about NAS: he gathers his cheerleaders to mass whine against posters who disagree with him to get them banned.  He does this on the B's board. He won't admit it because he gets one of his "Mean Girls" posse to do it. He doesn't like people who expose him for the jerk he is.

I don't know what's creepier - his deluded sense of entitlement at being "King Of The Bruins' Board" or his acolytes and foot soldiers who follow him.

I know what he did to me and he's not going to have the satisfaction of knowing who "I am."

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Inokea4coolaid. Show Inokea4coolaid's posts

It's different every year - so, the 2013 roster really isn't a change. In general, they've transitioned from an average offense and an above average defensive team from the early 2000's to an above average offensive team with (for the most part) a below average defense.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from TrueChamp. Show TrueChamp's posts

Apparently you guys missed it, this thread ended a few pages back. Whoever wants to revive it, answer Wozzy's post. If our roster is agreeably better then 2011(when we went to the super bowl and barely lost), then how in the FK is BB not a great GM?

"Defense Wins Championships"

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from wozzy. Show wozzy's posts

Apparently you guys missed it, this thread ended a few pages back. Whoever wants to revive it, answer Wozzy's post. If our roster is agreeably better then 2011(when we went to the super bowl and barely lost), then how in the FK is BB not a great GM?

Did you notice after your Walter Sobchak quote earlier, a poster by that same name appeared... weird.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from TrueChamp. Show TrueChamp's posts

In response to wozzy's comment:

Did you notice after your Walter Sobchak quote earlier, a poster by that same name appeared... weird.

I just saw that.  Did you notice the author of this thread ignored your post? As well as the rest of the Doom and Gloom patrol....

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from ATJ. Show ATJ's posts

You can view anything or anyone negatively if you so choose.  Is this a perfect football team?  Hardly.  Is it one that has a great deal of promise?  I don't know how can you possibly say otherwise.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from ghostofjri37. Show ghostofjri37's posts

In response to ATJ's comment:

You can view anything or anyone negatively if you so choose.  Is this a perfect football team?  Hardly.  Is it one that has a great deal of promise?  I don't know how can you possibly say otherwise.

Agreed this team does seem promising based out of what we have seen from the youngsters.

It has been quite a few years where we have had some young talent to watch develop at the WR position. 

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from zeitgeist49. Show zeitgeist49's posts

In response to mthurl's comment:

In response to NYC's comment:

It's not about the dynastry being over; it's not about doom and gloom. It's not about being negative. 

It is about shock and awe.  Very few free agents accept Kelly and Amendola are stilll with the team, we let a reliable good punter go over $900,000; we pick up several guys off the scrap heap we don't know anything about and we have no explanations coming. How is one supposed to feel?

It's hard to focus on the good stuff we potentially do have (Thomkins, Sudfeld, maybe Sims on PS?) when this stuff happens. No other sport is like this. We have relative stabiltiy with the C's and Sox's rosters. How do expect fans to feel when management makes change after change with no explanation and no accountability.  

And that's just it, we headed into the last three off seasons with loads of money to spend and come away with virtually nothing. Not good. We saved and saved and saved...planned for the future...pushed today into tomorrow with hopes it will lead to a brighter day. Then we end up with A. Wilson.

I've listened to the same koolaid drinkers for the last five years - how we are all spoiled, how we need to wait till next year, how we can't expect to win it every year, we don't know what we are talking about, etc. I'll tell you what, you could put a blind fold on a person, have him throw darts at random names on a wall and he would do no worse than the players we have brought in here over the last three years during free agency. Perhaps better. That's the god's honest truth.

Typical koolaid article from a year ago...

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1113287-bill-belichick-new-england-patriots-gm-is-quietly-crushing-free-agency

MTHURL.    I always enjoy your posts b/c they present some reality orientation to a homer dominated board. I believe so many koolaid drinkers on this board have a fundamental fear. They never want to be perceived as "negative" or "panicking". They seem to pride themselves on "positive", measured responses that miss obvious conclusions. Someday, when TB retires with 3 rings, some of these  homers may think to themselves, " Yeah. Maybe Belichick wasn't that great afterall." And of course there will be homers that will always remain in denial. 

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

I'm on record as being excited about this roster, and have said in previous posts how I think it's better than last year's season opening roster.  That said, I don't understand the attacks on rkarp.  He raises some legitimate concerns.  No roster is perfect, and this roster has its potential problems too.  A lot depends on how the young players work out . . . with untested youth there's always both upside potential and downside risk.  If the young guys realize their potential, this will be the most talented team the Pats have had since about 2007, I think.  If the young guys end up as duds, the team is going to lack depth and be in trouble if injuries occur (as they almost always do in this sport). 

As far as the team-building skills of Bill Belichick, which also get a lot of vitriolic debate on this board, I remain distinctly undecided about how good they really are.  My own opinion leans toward the middle: not as bleak as guys like TexPat but not so hyperbolic in praise as Rusty.  On the positive side, I think Belichick is clearly great at putting together competitive teams, with solid players, who complement each other well and together can execute effectively the schemes Belichick develops.  At the same time, I think in recent years (starting in 2008 or 2009) the team has had some persistent holes in talent that have hurt its chances in the playoffs, and some of that lack of talent does fall on Belichick's decision making in the draft and free agency. 

In my opinion, the talent on the team reached its nadir (somewhat ironically, given it was a Super Bowl year) in 2011.  BB began the season by blowing up the D line shortly before the regular season started with the addition of Haynesworth and a change in scheme.  The secondary was a bunch of (ineffective) no-names.  There were no decent wideouts other than Welker.  The running backs (BJGE and Woodhead) were mediocre. There was no pass rush at all and the LBs were still an incomplete group.  The defense could not stop the pass, and the offense, while potent because of a brilliant hurry-up scheme and four great players (Brady, Gronk, Welker, and Hernandez), still relied far too heavily on just one tactic -- the short pass to the slot receiver or one of the two TEs.  Yet the team made the Super Bowl, thanks to great coaching!

In my opinion, the roster we have today is far better than 2011's.  That's a good thing, but let's also not pretend that just because the 2011 team made the Super Bowl, the 2011 roster was a great one.  It wasn't.  Coaching and a bit of luck played into the team's success in 2011.  The 2011 team wasn't like the 2003 or 2004 teams, which had truly talented and dominant defenses and solid offenses as well.  It was a very incomplete collection of guys, whom Belichick coached brilliantly and who had the good fortune of playing a relatively weak regular season schedule, then getting Tim Tebow's Broncos at home in the playoffs, followed by a very lucky win in the AFC championship game on a missed field goal by the Ravens.  

I continue to be very excited by this year's team.  I think it has improved from 2011 and 2012.  I think the potential is there for this to be a very good team . . . and maybe be strong enough to have a dominant showing in the playoffs again.  But there are also areas of concerns, and rkarp is hardly off base to point them out.  I'm sure Belichick has his concerns too. 

But at this point, we are what we are, and it's time to see what we can do in the real games.  Sunday can't come fast enough!

Sections
Shortcuts