Re: What it is looking like the Pats will need as they continue to build a more dominanting team
posted at 12/20/2012 5:20 PM EST
In response to portfolio1's comment:
1. If they are able to resign Talib they will still need at least one more good cover CB to go with him and Dennard (who still needs to prove himself as a bonifide starter)
2. They need to improve the "other" DT/NT position and hopefully that includes someone who can generate some inside pass rush. They also need to find Vinny's eventual successor. It might be the same guy or not.
3. Improve one DE spot, especially in pass rush ability but not without reducing from at least current ability to hold gap, stop run, set edge...
4. Improve a LB slot. Inside if you want to focus Hightower and/or Mayo on the outside. Outside if you want to focus Hightower and/or Mayo on the inside. Speed is important in this players physical ability. Pass coverage skills also important. Perhaps critical. Blitzing skills a plus.
5. Get at least one intereior O lineman (focus on C or guard depending on where you want to play Connolly who I think is better than Wendell)
6. Get a good tackle if you cant resign Vollmer or if you do not believe Vollmer or Cannon can pass block well enough going forward.
7. Get a dangerous KOR unless you think Demps is that player.
8. Not the least improtant thing but get a good special teams coach
9. Not the least important but get a good DB coach
10. Look for another WR, either a big target and/or a true deep threat
11. I would also add we should resign Welker in all this...
12. Keep looking for the next special QB. Even if Mallet is good enough to fit that bill will he wait FIVE more years if he is that good? If it is not Mallet because he will not wait around long enough then showcase him now (perhaps one of these last two games?) and start to look to trade him either this offseason or a year from now.
THere is a lot here. But not all of it is critical. Certainly the issues on the defense are as is the quality of the O line.
started this thread few days ago (basically same topic)
topic inspired by my buddy ramekap.
my thoughts beloiw:
rame where you been, ive missed our thoughtfull and intelligent conversations about patriot football.
i have been posing the same questions with others on the draft thread about bb deciding if vollmers back will hinder his play and games played through his career or not. if not sign him,. if hes gonna play half teh time, no.
before talib arrived in n.e., i hoped we go to man wiht dennard and talib and get more agressive with the de. to my pleasant astonishment, we have doen so and the de looks in rare form and i believe, with health, could also improve. after talibs 1st game, i hoped and would have attempted to extend talib while he was happy to jsut be in the laegue still, never mind with a super bowl team. i said then if we let him show how good and valuable he can be, he might get self confident and feel he should go make top money wherever the top $ is.
re welker started a couple threads the past couple weeks. did you see last week, bb having a lot of leverage to get welker to come down in his demands (hall of fame if he stays and continues same for another 3 years, yearly sb contention,. staying with his buddy and on the field connector brady, not having to start to create somenting all over again, etc.). id liek to offer him 5 years 2 guaranteed (keep him as long as he stays in top form) around 6 or up to 7 per.
talib may be the most important of the 3 (least replaceable) though i want a behavior based and games played based contract 4 years, team option for 5.
though if we wave bye to vollmer i wonder if we get jake long for right tackle.
and woudl have to replace welker if he left.
we need a starting safety opposite mccourty in free agency.
i would be on the phone to byrd (buff) and goldson (sf), see who might want to be a patriot for less than top dollar (but still good money). our secondary starters woudl be set with talib, dennard at corner; mcc and gholson/bird at safety.
pickup a wilfork 2.0, a jones 2.0 and a dominant c/g and we are set. need a faster linebacker.
(after resigning welker and vollmer [or repacing him if back is going ot be a career issue])
in the 7th rd or in udfa, we need a tall outside wr who can get separation.