What it is looking like the Pats will need as they continue to build a more dominanting team

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from portfolio1. Show portfolio1's posts

What it is looking like the Pats will need as they continue to build a more dominanting team

1. If they are able to resign Talib they will still need at least one more good cover CB to go with him and Dennard (who still needs to prove himself as a bonifide starter)

2. They need to improve the "other" DT/NT position and hopefully that includes someone who can generate some inside pass rush. They also need to find Vinny's eventual successor. It might be the same guy or not.

3. Improve one DE spot, especially in pass rush ability but not without reducing from at least current ability to hold gap, stop run, set edge...

4. Improve a LB slot. Inside if you want to focus Hightower and/or Mayo on the outside. Outside if you want to focus Hightower and/or Mayo on the inside. Speed is important in this players physical ability. Pass coverage skills also important. Perhaps critical. Blitzing skills a plus.

5. Get at least one intereior O lineman (focus on C or guard depending on where you want to play Connolly who I think is better than Wendell)

6. Get a good tackle if you cant resign Vollmer or if you do not believe Vollmer or Cannon can pass block well enough going forward.

7. Get a dangerous KOR unless you think Demps is that player.

8. Not the least improtant thing but get a good special teams coach

9. Not the least important but get a good DB coach

10. Look for another WR, either a big target and/or a true deep threat

11. I would also add we should resign Welker in all this...

12. Keep looking for the next special QB. Even if Mallet is good enough to fit that bill will he wait FIVE more years if he is that good? If it is not Mallet because he will not wait around long enough then showcase him now (perhaps one of these last two games?) and start to look to trade him either this offseason or a year from now.

THere is a lot here. But not all of it is critical. Certainly the issues on the defense are as is the quality of the O line.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

Re: What it is looking like the Pats will need as they continue to build a more dominanting team

Pats currently own a 1st, 2nd, 3rd and 7th pick.

Would it surprise anyone if they traded out of the first for additional picks?

Pats again have money to spend in free agency. I was a critic from day1 of Gregory, Gallery, Fells, Stallworth, Gonzo et al. Will BB change course and chase a big name S or DL?

I would come to an agreement with Wes, and franchise Vollmer. I would chase S Goldson in free agency, hope to use a #1 on an interior DL and a #2 on an interior OL. I would see what the market would be for Talib, and ask for the courtesy of matching or not. I still see many, many teams shying away from him and his price tag not becoming unreasonable.

Only time would tell if that strategy would work, but I would applaud that type of scenario.

3. This post has been removed.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from themightypatriots. Show themightypatriots's posts

Re: What it is looking like the Pats will need as they continue to build a more dominanting team

Given how close all their losses have been, going back even to the 2006 AFC championshp, I'd say all they need is a little bit of luck.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from raptor64d. Show raptor64d's posts

In response to themightypatriots's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Given how close all their losses have been, going back even to the 2006 AFC championshp, I'd say all they need is a little bit of luck.

[/QUOTE]

Great point, the Pats just dont get blown out, now it looked like they would Monday night but in the end they could have won it which should scare the heck out of any team in the post season!

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from oklahomapatriot. Show oklahomapatriot's posts

A faster defense, and bigger WRs, and another Gronkatron

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from getdrunkstupit. Show getdrunkstupit's posts

CONSISTANT COACHING

STOP LOSING COACHES

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from thehub. Show thehub's posts

In response to kansaspatriot's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Pierre Garcon would have been nice. I live just outside of DC and he has been very good for the skins. Much faster than I though and very good with slants. 

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

In response to portfolio1's comment:
    [QUOTE]

1. If they are able to resign Talib they will still need at least one more good cover CB to go with him and Dennard (who still needs to prove himself as a bonifide starter)

2. They need to improve the "other" DT/NT position and hopefully that includes someone who can generate some inside pass rush. They also need to find Vinny's eventual successor. It might be the same guy or not.

3. Improve one DE spot, especially in pass rush ability but not without reducing from at least current ability to hold gap, stop run, set edge...

4. Improve a LB slot. Inside if you want to focus Hightower and/or Mayo on the outside. Outside if you want to focus Hightower and/or Mayo on the inside. Speed is important in this players physical ability. Pass coverage skills also important. Perhaps critical. Blitzing skills a plus.

5. Get at least one intereior O lineman (focus on C or guard depending on where you want to play Connolly who I think is better than Wendell)

6. Get a good tackle if you cant resign Vollmer or if you do not believe Vollmer or Cannon can pass block well enough going forward.

7. Get a dangerous KOR unless you think Demps is that player.

8. Not the least improtant thing but get a good special teams coach

9. Not the least important but get a good DB coach

10. Look for another WR, either a big target and/or a true deep threat

11. I would also add we should resign Welker in all this...

12. Keep looking for the next special QB. Even if Mallet is good enough to fit that bill will he wait FIVE more years if he is that good? If it is not Mallet because he will not wait around long enough then showcase him now (perhaps one of these last two games?) and start to look to trade him either this offseason or a year from now.

THere is a lot here. But not all of it is critical. Certainly the issues on the defense are as is the quality of the O line.

[/QUOTE]

hey port,

started this thread few days ago (basically same topic)

topic inspired by my buddy ramekap.

my thoughts beloiw:

rame where you been, ive missed our thoughtfull and intelligent conversations about patriot football.

i have been posing the same questions with others on the draft thread about bb deciding if vollmers back will hinder his play and games played through his career or not. if not sign him,. if hes gonna play half teh time, no.

before talib arrived in n.e., i hoped we go to man wiht dennard and talib and get more agressive with the de. to my pleasant astonishment, we have doen so and the de looks in rare form and i believe, with health, could also improve. after talibs 1st game, i hoped and would have attempted to extend talib while he was happy to jsut be in the laegue still, never mind with a super bowl team. i said then if we let him show how good and valuable he can be, he might get self confident and feel he should go make top money wherever the top $ is.

re welker started a couple threads the past couple weeks. did you see last week, bb having a lot of leverage to get welker to come down in his demands (hall of fame if he stays and continues same for another 3 years, yearly sb contention,. staying with his buddy and on the field connector brady, not having to start to create somenting all over again, etc.). id liek to offer him 5 years 2 guaranteed (keep him as long as he stays in top form) around 6 or up to 7 per.

talib may be the most important of the 3 (least replaceable) though i want a behavior based and games played based contract 4 years, team option for 5.

though if we wave bye to vollmer i wonder if we get jake long for right tackle.

and woudl have to replace welker if he left. 

we need a starting safety opposite mccourty in free agency. 

i would be on the phone to byrd (buff) and goldson (sf), see who might want to be a patriot for less than top dollar (but still good money). our secondary starters woudl be set with talib, dennard at corner; mcc and gholson/bird at safety.

pickup a wilfork 2.0, a jones 2.0 and a dominant c/g and we are set.  need a faster linebacker.

(after resigning welker and vollmer [or repacing him if back is going ot be a career issue])

in the 7th rd or in udfa, we need a tall outside wr who can get separation.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

In response to rkarp's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Pats currently own a 1st, 2nd, 3rd and 7th pick.

Would it surprise anyone if they traded out of the first for additional picks?

Pats again have money to spend in free agency. I was a critic from day1 of Gregory, Gallery, Fells, Stallworth, Gonzo et al. Will BB change course and chase a big name S or DL?

I would come to an agreement with Wes, and franchise Vollmer. I would chase S Goldson in free agency, hope to use a #1 on an interior DL and a #2 on an interior OL. I would see what the market would be for Talib, and ask for the courtesy of matching or not. I still see many, many teams shying away from him and his price tag not becoming unreasonable.

Only time would tell if that strategy would work, but I would applaud that type of scenario.

[/QUOTE]

if we move back for yourng jags i see that as a mistake. in fat i suggest moving up. we need 3 studs ideally at pass rushing de, dt and c/g (barring free agents at any of these).

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

In response to bobbysu's comment:
    [QUOTE]

This is suppose to be a Good Draft for Safeties. You just got to make the right choice.

[/QUOTE]

byrd

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

we already have ballard

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

In response to getdrunkstupit's comment:
    [QUOTE]

CONSISTANT COACHING

STOP LOSING COACHES

[/QUOTE]

top coaches nto trainees

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from 49Patriots. Show 49Patriots's posts

Sign Dashon Goldson, get a good DT to play with Vince, get another pass-rusher to play with Chandler. 

You can't sign both Talib and Welker if you plan to keep Vollmer, you can only keep two off three. 

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from 49Patriots. Show 49Patriots's posts

Goldson and McCourty patrolling th backfield is a scary combination. 

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

In response to thehub's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Pierre Garcon would have been nice. I live just outside of DC and he has been very good for the skins. Much faster than I though and very good with slants. 

[/QUOTE]

I thought he would of been good too, but he didn't come cheap for the skins either.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

In response to 49Patriots' comment:
    [QUOTE]

Sign Dashon Goldson, get a good DT to play with Vince, get another pass-rusher to play with Chandler. 

You can't sign both Talib and Welker if you plan to keep Vollmer, you can only keep two off three. 

[/QUOTE]

we have like 35 mil space

were not gving welker 10 mil unless hes tagged

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

In response to mthurl's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to thehub's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

I thought he would of been good too, but he didn't come cheap for the skins either.

[/QUOTE]

lloyd was more economical

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from portfolio1. Show portfolio1's posts

ALong with the personnel issues I really hope we get a new special teams coach and DB coach. During preseason when the practices were open to the public I had a negative impression of the special teams coach. I'm not saying there was any actuall insight - at the time I just wasnt thrilled with what I saw from him. I didnt think I knew more than anyone else. But this year its just not been very good. Certainly not good enough.

And we have all seen how many times the entire secondary (except for new player Talib and rookie Dennard) didnt know enough to look for the ball!

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

In response to portfolio1's comment:
    [QUOTE]

ALong with the personnel issues I really hope we get a new special teams coach and DB coach. During preseason when the practices were open to the public I had a negative impression of the special teams coach. I'm not saying there was any actuall insight - at the time I just wasnt thrilled with what I saw from him. I didnt think I knew more than anyone else. But this year its just not been very good. Certainly not good enough.

And we have all seen how many times the entire secondary (except for new player Talib and rookie Dennard) didnt know enough to look for the ball!

[/QUOTE]

it seems they teach the cbs to face thier back to the qb, i saw taliib employing it last game. 

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from provpats. Show provpats's posts

yea I am not sure they can make it better than 12-4 next year without all of the above.

they are just a bunch of bums right now

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from 49Patriots. Show 49Patriots's posts

In response to bredbru's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Did you calculate people's pay raises? And I keep telling you guys, Welker wants a Fitz type deal. 3 year 45 mill was his asking price, Bill offered him a 2 year 18 with an option for the 3rd. 

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Did you calculate people's pay raises? And I keep telling you guys, Welker wants a Fitz type deal. 3 year 45 mill was his asking price, Bill offered him a 2 year 18 with an option for the 3rd. 

[/QUOTE]

PAts estimated cap 2013 is $105 mil with some obvious renegotiations/potential cap savings cuts which would lower that number.  That includes dead money of $4 million owed to Fanene and Ocho. 

Wes, Vollmer easily can be signed/franchised under the cap. Talib could as well, but I don't think the Pats extend him long term. I think many, many teams also shy away from him. Of course, all it takes is 1 team, but Pats don't give him a Bodden type deal IMO.

Wes was not looking for 3/45, which is meaningless anyways. Wes was looking for guaranteed money of $30 mil. Pats were guaranteeing about $22. 

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from CablesWyndBairn. Show CablesWyndBairn's posts

Good call with Goldson, I like him as a player and I think the Pats tried to trade for him/sign him as a FA a year or two back.  They need to hit a home run in the draft with a S/CB. 

They do need another WR.  Someone in the mold of Stallworth -- a bigger vertical threat.  They are likely going to have to replace Welker too, but I hope not. 

They could use another LB in the Guyton/Carpenter mode (an upgraqde to either of them obviously) who can cover.  Wouldn't hurt if the same guy can russ the passer, or if they can find another complementary DE (if that guy isn't Cunningham). 

A guy who can return kickoffs (Demps as was pointed out above?).  I am  McCourty fan, but the best I can say about him as a kick returner is that he average, but kudos for doing it.  

I agree with all of what the OP said.   

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

exactly wlekr will have to come down or bb has to decide if we sing vollmer, tag or let leave. if we dotn tag volmer and welker woont come down (ive outlined elsewhere i think we have some leverage), then he can decide to tag welker or get amendola. wlker has been durable amendola not so much. 

Sections
Shortcuts