What off-season move by the Pats would blow you away?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

Re: What off-season move by the Pats would blow you away?

Something that would shock me is if they moved Gronk...obviously the timing wouldn't be right to get maximum value, but I wonder if they have had enough of him? Three years in a row now this guy hasn't been able to stay on the field and help in the playoffs...he's got the knee injury now, the back, the arm, the ankle...you've got to think he'll never be healthy. If I could get a second rounder for him, I'd trade him

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Muzwell. Show Muzwell's posts

In response to agcsbill's comment:

In response to pcmIV's comment:

In response to rbetourne's comment:

Here is my plan:   trade Mallett and our #29 pick in the 1st round to the Texans for the overall #1 pick and a 5th rounder.

This is the worst deal in NFL history for Houston.

This may be banking on BB's relationship with O'Brien... which if anything close to this happened would result in O'Brien being crucified in the media.

OB isn't GM, just HC. Rick Smith is GM. 

Absent Kraft selling the team to a gay British rock star, I'd settle for signing DeMarcus Ware and keeping Edelman.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from NOISE. Show NOISE's posts

If they actually had another offseason like they did in 07!  Wow that was fun

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from rameakap. Show rameakap's posts

One move that would blow me away would be Jimmy Graham coming to the Patriots.

The only way I could see this happening is if his agent gets him categotized as a WR instead of a TE (for franchise purposes) and the Saints pass on giving him 1 year at 11-12 million instead of 1 year at 6-7, probably b/c they think they can sign him to a long-term deal and save big in 2014 by doing so (therfore shoring up other needs).

But NE pounces, rushing him in to a meeting on Kraft's private jet, selling him on the fact that Pats have a better defense and are in the weaker AFC (SF and Sea will be good for a long time) and Jimmy would spend his time on the field as both a WR and in two TE sets with Gronk (helping keep Gronk healthy and making the team even scarier than it was on offense with both Gronk/Hernandez playing their best).

Graham is not allowed to leave until he signs a monster contract that nobody would ever expect NE to pay for  a free agent.

That would shock the bejeezus out of me:-)

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from portfolio1. Show portfolio1's posts

Blow me away? Well - getting a stud DT or DE or a Reives at CG. Getting a stud TE like Graham or even Gonzalez (!)... getting a stud WR like Fitzgerald.... Getting a stud C or RG (like Mack)...

I do not expect to get blown away with FA pick up but it woudl be nice...

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from rameakap. Show rameakap's posts

What would make me incredibly excited, while not shocking me, is simply spending money and adding impact players needed to not only contend but contend as a dominant team.

To me this means after the restructures and cuts that give the team 15-20 million in cap space the Patriots concentrate on 3 positions in free ageny:

1. CB - Keep Talib or add a solid veteran, no drafting of a CB, bonus if the signing weakens a playoff team we could face. The options are:

- Alterraun Verner (Titans)

- Brent Grimes (Dolphins)

- Vontae Davis (Colts)

- DMC (Donkey's)

- Captain Munnerlyn (Panthers)

Anything less than one of those 6 corners would leave me very dissapointed

2. DT - Vince says he'll be back for the start of the season, I say 6 week PUP and then only count on him for 50% of the snaps, either way team needs 1 more quality starter at DT. Kelly will be back and his injury is easier to recover from than Vince, but he is also old. Siligna, Jones, Vellano and Armstead need to be backups only thrust into starting roles if things go bad.

I'd love to see this team have the cash for one good starter like:

- Soliai of Miami (they will try to keep Starks first, probably can't keep both)

- Linval Joseph (Giants)

- Clinton McDonald (Seahawks)

3. O-line

I'd be stocked if they went after C Alex Mack, let Wendell walk and had Connolly/Cannon at LG and Vollmer/Cannon at RT.

A move I would love would be Mallett and Amendola to the Texans for their 2nd and 5th rd picks this year. We can also toss them our 6th and a conditional pick in '15 depending on if Mallett doesn't become the starter, or reach certain incentives or if Amendola remains hurt, etc.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from TrueChamp. Show TrueChamp's posts

Well, I think it would be pretty crazy if we just did the obvious thing and drafted all of our players in the 1st round. Also sign all the top FA's, trade Thompkins for Calvin Johnson, and sign Barry Sanders. Belichicks team building philosophy has obviously failed as we should have won more games in the last 13 years then we did...which was the most ever.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from palookaski. Show palookaski's posts

The OP never said, "blow you away" good or not. So here goes.

Hiring Bobby Patrino, that would blow me away!

Patrino Q&A ....... I'll always give a guy a break but lots of these answers are comical, from both sides,  Louisville and Petrino.

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/why-louisville-decided-to-bring-back-bobby-petrino--q-a-with-cardinals--new--old--coach-215628218.html

Excerpt:

LOUISVILLE, Ky. – The Disingenuous Drifter has wandered back home.

A changed man? So they say. In the belief that fallible humans – that is to say, all of us – can learn and grow from their greatest failings, I hope it's true.

Bobby Petrino presented himself in a different manner Thursday, at least. There were glimpses of emotion from an infamous stoic, and plenty of contrite words.

Persuasive? Yes. Believable? Not yet.

For now, those words are cheap. It will be all about actions for Bobby Petrino. He's tasked with laying one brick of credibility on top of another in what will be a long and painstaking effort to rebuild his demolished reputation.

Petrino has been given a second chance at his first place of head-coaching employment, Louisville. Last time he was here, he treated that job the way muddy shoes treat a welcome mat. Same with the next two jobs: the Atlanta Falcons and Arkansas Razorbacks.

He was disdainful and disrespectful to his employers – and, yes, dishonest, too. That's why I labeled Petrino the Disingenuous Drifter back in 2007, in one of the meanest columns I've written. And that was before Arkansas fired him for duplicitous behavior in 2012.

The Bobby Petrino who drifted back into Louisville Thursday appears more desperate than
    disingenuous, more humbled than haughty. When a football lifer spends a season unemployed and then is snubbed for several jobs he was overqualified for, landing at Western Kentucky for a year, the tables are turned and it's up to him to deal with it.

Athletic director Tom Jurich was waiting for him, welcoming the prodigal play caller with a generous contract (seven years, $3.5 million per) and an appropriately huge buyout ($10 million over the first four years, then decreasing from there). Jurich said he believes the serial job-hopper is a changed man, but the size of the buyout puts a hard line behind blind faith.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from pats-fan-2007. Show pats-fan-2007's posts

Seattle and Denver picked up lots of top FA's, many of them on the cheap.

We did the same  in '07.

You can't win a Super Bowl with just over-achieving lunch pail guys. You need playmakers!

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

In response to TrueChamp's comment:

Well, I think it would be pretty crazy if we just did the obvious thing and drafted all of our players in the 1st round. Also sign all the top FA's, trade Thompkins for Calvin Johnson, and sign Barry Sanders. Belichicks team building philosophy has obviously failed as we should have won more games in the last 13 years then we did...which was the most ever.

Imagine if Belichick traded away a first to get you a new baton? That way when you sit on the toilet and mindlessly crap out gigantic pink patriot helmets you'll have something to twirl. Oh and perhaps he'll acquire BJGE for a 7th rounder and then have Benny personally deliver you a new pair of pink pom poms! Oh the delight!

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from theshinez. Show theshinez's posts

It would blow me away if we drafted someone based on TALENT not "value".  It would also blow me away if we DID NOT waste a draft picks on BUSTS such as: Hightower, Moroney, Meriweather, Harmon, RAS IR Dowling, Wilson/Wilson, Hobbs, and the list goes on, and on...

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from darwk. Show darwk's posts

Good topic. How bout firing Josh McD and bringing back back Charlie Weis as OC? 

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from agcsbill. Show agcsbill's posts

In response to theshinez's comment:

It would blow me away if we drafted someone based on TALENT not "value".  It would also blow me away if we DID NOT waste a draft picks on BUSTS such as: Hightower, Moroney, Meriweather, Harmon, RAS IR Dowling, Wilson/Wilson, Hobbs, and the list goes on, and on...

Interesting statement, theshinez.

Isn't this one of the methods used by BB that, in my opinion, gets the goat of this fan base?  Why doesn't BB go after some really good players that DO cost some money.  It has been echoed by some here about the need for the Pats to get some "play makers" who can single handedly impact a game versus a group of role players that do a darn good job as a team.  It has come to a point in which BB has relied too much on the one consistent "play maker" he has on the team right now, Brady.  Gronk is the next one if he can just stay healthy, right?

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from TrueChamp. Show TrueChamp's posts

In response to mthurl's comment:

In response to TrueChamp's comment:

Imagine if Belichick traded away a first to get you a new baton? That way when you sit on the toilet and mindlessly crap out gigantic pink patriot helmets you'll have something to twirl. Oh and perhaps he'll acquire BJGE for a 7th rounder and then have Benny personally deliver you a new pair of pink pom poms! Oh the delight!

Yeah, I'm way off base thinking we have a damn good football team year after year.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from portfolio1. Show portfolio1's posts

In response to theshinez's comment:

Hightower is a solid player on his way to becoming a standout in a solid BB defense. TO include him is ignorance.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from SFBostonFan. Show SFBostonFan's posts

Kaepernick for TB straight up or 49ers even toss in a draft choice. Brady gets to end his career in a new stadium in his home town, Santa Clara, with a his idol, Joe Montana's team.

49ers do not need a running QB---it's been a losing proposition for 2 years. They need an accurate pocket passer & SF's offensive line is one of the best.  If 49ers had Brady, they'd won easily.  Kap vs Ravens in the SB last year with a 1st down at the 5 yard line misses 4 passes---why Kap didn't run with 4 downs at the 5 vs Ravens...dunno--- and then vs Seahawks on 18 yd line with a 1st down and 3 time outs and 1:25 on the clock he tosses an Alley-Opps in the direction of 6'6" Sherman... stupid...toss it long so it goes out of bounds if Crabtree doesn't catch it. Crabtree is only 6'1" tall & he is going to out jump a defender 5" taller on a ball not tossed long ??? When his hands touch a ball, he is extremely accurate. The Hail Mary pass on the 1st down was something you try on 4th down. So being a 49er fan too, I doubly suffered with the Pats' loss too. I don't care that he sometimes runs 100+ yards, his passing accuracy is not like Brady's. Had he tossed a winning TD vs Ravens and Seattle, I'd thought differently.

What's in it for the Pats ? Maybe a running QB would fit into BB's system for a couple of years ? I'm joking. I'm not in love with Kap. I think 49ers would have won with Alex Smith who gave KC 44 points. Not his fault Indy got 45. And he does not toss picks as does Kap. It was Alex who had SF ahead vs NY 3 years ago when 2 bonehead fumbles led to a tying and winning field goal in OT. Then to add to my nightmare, Welker drops a ball he'd caught 95% of the time vs Giants...Crabtree would have caught it---HA and LOL !!!!

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from SANPAT. Show SANPAT's posts

If they trade Brady, it will blow me away with surprise....

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from dapats1281. Show dapats1281's posts

Blow me away?

Jimmy Graham at 5 years for the vet's minimum would certainly blow me away

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from agcsbill. Show agcsbill's posts

In response to dapats1281's comment:

Blow me away?

Jimmy Graham at 5 years for the vet's minimum would certainly blow me away

Realistically, speaking.  A move the Pats would make in the "real" world, not some of the dream scenarios we are seeing mentioned here.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from rtuinila. Show rtuinila's posts

The Pats pull up stakes and move to London because the stupid fans here don't appreciate what has been going on in New England the last 14 years!

Now that would blow everyone away!

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from NYC. Show NYC's posts

Since this is complete fantasy and one needs to outdo all the other outrageous or ridiculous predictions (like Houston trading their #1 pick for #29 and Mallet) : what if Kraft sold the team to Vince McMahon who then challenged to the rest of the league owners to a Steel Cage Battle Royal! (Sounds like I got it from one of Commie Contrarian's "sources", right?)

The truth is BB always does something completely unexpected. Usually we don't get it but it doesn't matter because somehow he always manages to build the team during the course of the season in some way we never imagined. Having a great QB like TB and great coaches like Scar has given him the leverage to perform these feats.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from RallyC. Show RallyC's posts

I'd be blown away if BB traded Tom to the Texans for the #1 pick+ in the draft and we picked up our next long term QB, i.e. Teddy B. It would be a great move towards many more years of PATRIOTS winning........Imagine! A big mobile athlete who could sling it!!! Man, what would that be like on a BB team????

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from NoMorePensionLooting. Show NoMorePensionLooting's posts

In response to RallyC's comment:

I'd be blown away if BB traded Tom to the Texans for the #1 pick+ in the draft and we picked up our next long term QB, i.e. Teddy B. THAT WOULD BLOW ME AWAY!!! It would be a great move towards many more years of PATRIOTS winning........Imagine! A big mobile athlete who could sling it!!!

Bridgewater has a slight build and many aren't sure he's worthy of # 1 overall. The combine will go a way in helping sort all this out. I want to see what Johnny Football measures for height for example.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from RallyC. Show RallyC's posts

In response to NoMorePensionLooting's comment:

In response to RallyC's comment:

I'd be blown away if BB traded Tom to the Texans for the #1 pick+ in the draft and we picked up our next long term QB, i.e. Teddy B. THAT WOULD BLOW ME AWAY!!! It would be a great move towards many more years of PATRIOTS winning........Imagine! A big mobile athlete who could sling it!!!

Bridgewater has a slight build and many aren't sure he's worthy of # 1 overall. The combine will go a way in helping sort all this out. I want to see what Johnny Football measures for height for example.

Teddy will play next season at 6'3" and about 210-215. And expect him to get even bulkier once the NFL strength guys get a hold of him. Johnny football is intriguing for sure too, at 6'1" and 210, or even the kid out of UCF......regardless, Blow me away Bill!!!

Sections
Shortcuts