What Pats have been missing for awhile

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from jimmytantric. Show jimmytantric's posts

What Pats have been missing for awhile

is an OLB that can cover RBs and TEs in the flats and up the middle of the field. The Pats are duplicating themselves with LBs that all play the run great, but lack cover skills, ie; Mayo, Spikes and Hightower. And don't tell me Nink and Fletcher are those guys--these guys would be 2nd stringers if Willie and Bruschi were still on the team. Pats need 3 things to go ALL the way-- in any order: A deep threat WR, a pass rushing DE or DL that can put pressure on the QB and a Cover Safety. Thats assuming Dennard comes back, if not the Pats would need another #2 CB. After that Lineman.--they win it all if they draft these positions and of course no major injuries, which always seem to derail teams and are just part of a long season playing a modern day gladiator sport that is Brutal on the body.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

Re: What Pats have been missing for awhile

In response to jimmytantric's comment:

is an OLB that can cover RBs and TEs in the flats and up the middle of the field. The Pats are duplicating themselves with LBs that all play the run great, but lack cover skills, ie; Mayo, Spikes and Hightower. And don't tell me Nink and Fletcher are those guys--these guys would be 2nd stringers if Willie and Bruschi were still on the team. Pats need 3 things to go ALL the way-- in any order: A deep threat WR, a pass rushing DE or DL that can put pressure on the QB and a Cover Safety. Thats assuming Dennard comes back, if not the Pats would need another #2 CB. After that Lineman.--they win it all if they draft these positions and of course no major injuries, which always seem to derail teams and are just part of a long season playing a modern day gladiator sport that is Brutal on the body.

jimmy ive posted simialr the past several months as well. tho adding at least a #2 cb.

o line could use beefing up as well. 

odd after all those extra picks, its like qwe ned 2 1sts, 2 2nds and a 3rd, 4th and 5th to get what we need this year. all of which we doont have.

3. This post has been removed.

4. This post has been removed.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

In response to bobbysu's comment:

Why does a guy from California like the Pats? Just asking? Uniform, Weather? Bredbru your from the West what makes you like the Pats? No hate. Just curious.

hi bobbysu,

born and raised in r.i.

:)

you?

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

In response to leatherhelmet's comment:

I've been on the Zaviar Gooden bandwagon for a minute. He needs coaching in coverage but was originally a safety before being moved to OLB. SPEED!!!!!

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/players/1679504

speed is good. will check it out

:)

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

The Pats have numerous needs most likely at WR, DL and OL. CB prob needs insurance against Ras injury. With 3-4 darft picks, I cant see cover LB as one of them . Wasn't AWilson signing supposed to be this sub package coverage wrinkle? My understanding is he would play in the box and shadow the TE or RB if it was not a running play.

That has been my criticism of the signing of Wilson. The Pats from what is written could see him as a cover LB in sub packages, yet the Cards pulled him on passing downs citing his reduced speed and coverage abilities.

i understand I will be lambasted with BB is a genius and knows more than me, but the Cards had a pretty good D last year, and Horton has a good rep as coordinator. 

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from dwhite1220. Show dwhite1220's posts

In response to jimmytantric's comment:

Attacking DEFENSE !!

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Philskiw1. Show Philskiw1's posts

We need help for Vince on the line.  One other guy they have to double team.  Or a someone that they have to pick who to double team.  With a pass rush it will make the rest of the D look better.  

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Quagmire3. Show Quagmire3's posts

"is an OLB that can cover RBs and TEs in the flats and up the middle of the field. "

I think this is the role BB envisions for Adrian Wilson.

11. This post has been removed.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from tcal2-. Show tcal2-'s posts

There's a lot they have been missing on defense.  I'd say Vince and Talib are the only two real deals.  The other 9 slots could use upgrading

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

Good point on needing an outside linebacker that can cover, people stick up for Mayo all day long around here, yet if you watch him play on the outside he doesn't cover well, doesn't get to the sideline and has problems in space... against both the run and the pass. Put this guy in the middle and he's fine - put him outside and he gets blocked by tight ends, fullbacks, misses the right hole, etc.

If you put him in the middle with big Vince in front of him he's fine, he just has to run towards the big funnel Vince creates. He gets in there with Spikes and it's easy pickings. Put him outside without the great lineman in front of him...with a lot more space to cover and it's not nearly as pretty. I understand it's a hard job, but other guys do it...it's not like he isn't being compensated for it (40 million dollar contract). 

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from tcal2-. Show tcal2-'s posts

In response to mthurl's comment:

Good point on needing an outside linebacker that can cover, people stick up for Mayo all day long around here, yet if you watch him play on the outside he doesn't cover well, doesn't get to the sideline and has problems in space... against both the run and the pass. Put this guy in the middle and he's fine - put him outside and he gets blocked by tight ends, fullbacks, misses the right hole, etc.

If you put him in the middle with big Vince in front of him he's fine, he just has to run towards the big funnel Vince creates. He gets in there with Spikes and it's easy pickings. Put him outside without the great lineman in front of him...with a lot more space to cover and it's not nearly as pretty. I understand it's a hard job, but other guys do it...it's not like he isn't being compensated for it (40 million dollar contract). 

Oh no, not St. Mayo.  The Dude has wicked huge Tackle Assist numbers every year.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from kansaspatriot. Show kansaspatriot's posts

Top rate defense

16. This post has been removed.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from 42AND46. Show 42AND46's posts

In response to RidingWithTheKingII's comment:

Biggest secret is this guy and how he used to do it right here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vEumzvnU9gY

If he doesn't shake the fears of being hit again after blowing out his leg in 2008, I am not sure it matters if BB just nailed the Adrian Wilson signing or Dane Fletcher returning as a good cover LB or not.

and if u didn't have that guy ur team would go 9-7 most years

18. This post has been removed.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from 42AND46. Show 42AND46's posts

In response to 42AND46's comment:

Biggest secret is this guy and how he used to do it right here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vEumzvnU9gY

If he doesn't shake the fears of being hit again after blowing out his leg in 2008, I am not sure it matters if BB just nailed the Adrian Wilson signing or Dane Fletcher returning as a good cover LB or not.

and if u didn't have that guy ur team would go 9-7 most years

Nope. See Matt Cassel in year 1 in 2008.  That simple. 

We know you're jealousy of BB is high, but you don't have SB 25 without BB and you might not have SB 21 with BB either.

Keep stopping by to be reminded of these facts. lol

yes i am unbelievably jealous of bill bellichick u have me figured out

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from jimmytantric. Show jimmytantric's posts

In response to Philskiw1's comment:

We need help for Vince on the line.  One other guy they have to double team.  Or a someone that they have to pick who to double team.  With a pass rush it will make the rest of the D look better.  

You know Phil I've been screaming this for awhile--Vince is getting up there in age-- I hope the Pats take a stud with the 1st pick and put him next to Vince to bullrush the pocket!

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from jimmytantric. Show jimmytantric's posts

In response to Quagmire3's comment:

"is an OLB that can cover RBs and TEs in the flats and up the middle of the field. "

I think this is the role BB envisions for Adrian Wilson.

Great player but at his age no way can he keep up with backs and TEs at his age-he will bring a PRESENCE over the middle but his days of covering these young guys is over - sorry Quag love your posts but he is not this guy in this time.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from jimmytantric. Show jimmytantric's posts

In response to tcal2-'s comment:

In response to mthurl's comment:

Oh no, not St. Mayo.  The Dude has wicked huge Tackle Assist numbers every year.

Very funny Tcal and I agree with you - as Bruschi says he makes alot of tackles but unfortunatly their 5-7 yards downfield!

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from seattlepat70. Show seattlepat70's posts

In response to dwhite1220's comment:

Attacking DEFENSE !!

This is it

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsLifer. Show PatsLifer's posts

We have 3 good mlb's, but neeD someone or two to play olb in our 4-3. 

Bb signed armstead from the cfl. He if he was coming out of college this year might be equivalent to a 2nd round pick. Question is, has bb already chosand his DT and will he use the draft to further upgrade the position in a deep DT draft class? 

There are any number of 4-3 olbs coming out this year that would add an element of speed to our lb corps. Don't know if bb sees this as a priority given armstead, crossing fingers on Pryor, and guys like Francis, love, deaderick, etc continuing to progress. 

Personally, I would rather the pats look for a 3-4 de early in this draft, and maybe play more 3-4 with some combo of Nink/Hightower outside, spikes & mayo inside, jones outside. But I think this would require a very good 3-4 end, one we don't have currently. 

maybe someone like Jesse Williams. He could kick inside next to Vince in a 4-3, but has the size the play end in the 3-4, or inside in a 4-3. There are a few players like him.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

In response to rkarp's comment:

The Pats have numerous needs most likely at WR, DL and OL. CB prob needs insurance against Ras injury. With 3-4 darft picks, I cant see cover LB as one of them . Wasn't AWilson signing supposed to be this sub package coverage wrinkle? My understanding is he would play in the box and shadow the TE or RB if it was not a running play.

That has been my criticism of the signing of Wilson. The Pats from what is written could see him as a cover LB in sub packages, yet the Cards pulled him on passing downs citing his reduced speed and coverage abilities.

i understand I will be lambasted with BB is a genius and knows more than me, but the Cards had a pretty good D last year, and Horton has a good rep as coordinator. 

I actually believe this is the role Wilson will play with the Pats. How I see it is a 3 S set. Think 4-2-5 with T. Wilson being the deeper SS and Wilson being the SS/LB role. Coverage closer to the line he should be fine in coverage, it was really when asked to cover over top in Ari that it was clear he lost a step towards the end of the season. But, if you keep him close to the line and limit his reps to prevent him from wearing down I think hhe could be a very good box defender even in coverage