What Pats have been missing for awhile

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

Re: What Pats have been missing for awhile

In response to PatsLifer's comment:

We have 3 good mlb's, but neeD someone or two to play olb in our 4-3. 

Bb signed armstead from the cfl. He if he was coming out of college this year might be equivalent to a 2nd round pick. Question is, has bb already chosand his DT and will he use the draft to further upgrade the position in a deep DT draft class? 

There are any number of 4-3 olbs coming out this year that would add an element of speed to our lb corps. Don't know if bb sees this as a priority given armstead, crossing fingers on Pryor, and guys like Francis, love, deaderick, etc continuing to progress. 

Personally, I would rather the pats look for a 3-4 de early in this draft, and maybe play more 3-4 with some combo of Nink/Hightower outside, spikes & mayo inside, jones outside. But I think this would require a very good 3-4 end, one we don't have currently. 

maybe someone like Jesse Williams. He could kick inside next to Vince in a 4-3, but has the size the play end in the 3-4, or inside in a 4-3. There are a few players like him.

I'm still in a wait and see mode with Armstead, personally. The thing about him is that teams (including the Pats) could have signed him as a UDFA and didn't. I know he had a heart attack and might have scared off some teams but most teams are willing to red shirt players for a year. The Pats do it all the time with players they like. They bring them in and IR them or PuP them to give them time to recover. So I don't think the heart attack was the main reason why he wasn't signed as a UDFA by some team. Then when looking at the futures contract he signed with the Pats, it's not like it was a great contract either. If other teams really thought he had a 2nd round type value then someone could have given more then what the Pats gave.

I think there are questions on Armsteads game in combination with the heart attack. As such, I see him as a Pryor replacement or a Deadrick replacement right now. I still think they want to upgrade the position next to Wilfork and given the high talent level with DT's in the first 50 picks I still think they are targetting a player inside. They could target a DE but when I look at it what's a bigger upgrade, upgrading Nink or upgrading Love.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from portfolio1. Show portfolio1's posts

In response to alfred-e-bob-neumier's comment:

Wilson will be covering backs and TE's....that will be his "hybrid" role....I also do not believe that we will settle out at 5 picks with none between 3 and 7...the strength of this draft is between 2 and 6...I can easily see them trading out of round one to pick up a couple extra picks, maybe even having BB go back to his Trader Joe routine to pick up extra picks for the future as well...

I was thiniking the same thing though it might depend on what Wilson the younger shows BB in his second year in training camp.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from jimmytantric. Show jimmytantric's posts

Been hearing about this "Hybrid" player thing for quite some time. Rodney Harrisons don't grow on trees-- great safeties are hard to find--these offensive guys are fast and strong-instincts can't be taught or gained in the gym-you either have "IT" or don't. And I dont think Wilsons the answer-he will be a good presence over the middle and against the run-but I have to question where his COVER skills are at with his age and all--would have been nice to have lande him 4 years ago! Yet another aging VET at a cheaper price. Pats trying for the Harrison magic again? For every Harrison there's,  8--- L. Thomas's.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from agill1970. Show agill1970's posts

What I'd like to see is Mayo start working hard and with the proper trainers on his coverage skills. 

I also believe Wilson will see a lot of action as a coverage linebacker in certain packages. 

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from zbellino. Show zbellino's posts

I'd think augmenting the pass rush (again anemic) or bolstering cornerback (improved but incredibly thin) or bringing in a safety who can actually play opposite DMC would be a start.

But a "coverage" sub Lber, sure. 

My guess is that some of that will be filled by Adrian Wilson as a big nickel sub-type player against most formations. Against teams that rune 2RB or 2TE setups, maybe another option is there. 

Sections
Shortcuts