What player will be the biggest surprise this year?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from mrbungle. Show mrbungle's posts

What player will be the biggest surprise this year?

1) Julian Edelman. I think he'll quickly become a fan favorite. He's a total "under the radar" player and, will make the plays if called upon. I really think so.

2) Kevin O'Connell (and I'm hoping we don't have to see him full time for obvious reasons) He's got to get more snaps and BB must be planning on giving Brady some rest so we'll see him. 

Hey, I could be totally wrong but, these guys have those skills that just aren't tangible. I love the idea of Edelman being utilized correctly. Might be just the ticket to give Rex Ryan fits preparing for the Patriots. Ooo, I hope so. I can't WAIT for this season!

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from carawaydj. Show carawaydj's posts

Re: What player will be the biggest surprise this year?

I'll root for Edelman simply because he has to be one of the biggest underdogs going into the season.  If you mean surprise as in who we don't expect to do well, but does, Crable deserves some consideration.  He's an unknown at the moment.  Judging by all of the OLB discussions this offseason, he has been mostly written off as a presence at OLB.  Since he's unproven, that's to be expected.  So I'll give my "emotional" vote to Edelman, and my logical vote to Crable.  Crable will likely see the most playing time.  If he develops into a good OLB, I think he'll easily be a big surprise for us fans.  Some of the rookies like Chung and Butler come with high expectations.  If they do real well, it will be welcomed, but not necessarily considered the "biggest surprise".

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from dustcover. Show dustcover's posts

Fred Taylor will put up awesome numbers behind Brady's passing attack.  In addition, the impact on the play-action-pass will have defensive coordinators around the league scratching their heads. 

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from bubthegrub2. Show bubthegrub2's posts

I'll agree with Crable. I'm also anxious to see how Guyton will develop. I think they've solidified the secondary pretty well, so these two guys at LB would be a very welcome "surprise" if they have breakout seasons. Another guy who I think will have more of an impact than some seem to think is Galloway. His presence (and speed...still at his advanced age) should help draw coverage away from Moss and Welker.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from JulesWinfield. Show JulesWinfield's posts

I'm going to say Tom Brady.  You will all be very surprised that Brady doesn't emerge from reconstructive knee surgery and pick up where he left off in 2007.  It shouldn't surprise you...but it will.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from MVPkilla. Show MVPkilla's posts

Yea ok but Peyton Manning is a god right? get a life loser.

Shawn Crable could be the guy but i think Woods might become the starter for the foreseeable future. But my pick is L. Maroney. I think you have all writen him off and he is going to shock you when he kills em this season.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from JulesWinfield. Show JulesWinfield's posts

Very true killa.  PM is the reigning MVP (his third).  I suppose I should give a real answer to the question.  I'm going to go with Wilhite.  He will probably be your #2 CB this year (if, as I suspect, Springs has put a little too much wear and tear on his 34 year old body).  At the very least Wilhite should claim the nickel spot.  I don't know if he qualifies as a surpise as many of you are also kind of bullish on him...

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Grogan77. Show Grogan77's posts

As it stands now, I'll go with Gary Guyton.  He got some decent playing time last season as a rookie(undrafted to boot).  And he should see plenty more this year.  BB is very high on Guyton, so it will be interesting to see how BB uses him.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Kmaxx. Show Kmaxx's posts

I'll get back to you in December with my answer.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from BSII. Show BSII's posts

Meriweather makes the leap to Pro Bowl.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from bubthegrub2. Show bubthegrub2's posts

I'm not worried about Pro Bowls. But I'll be pleased if he improves as much this offseason as he did the last. The coaching staff at Miami compared him to Ed Reed. I think this kid will at least make up for losing Rodney. And Chung is supposed to be a smart player...and hits like a ton of bricks. But Merriweather won't "surprise" me. I still say either Crable or Guyton...or hopefully both!

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from SonnyCorlione. Show SonnyCorlione's posts

Posted by BSII

He's got some competition but I strong agree in the sense that he is on track to be one of the top Safeties in the league.  The biggest issue I see is he's going to have to play SS until Chung gets up to speed and that could be a two years.  Meriweather is 200 pounds flat - over 20 pounds lighter than Harrison was.  Granted, he's a hard hitter for his size and has good range but if we get someone who can play well up closer to the line that's when he's really going to excel.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from JulesWinfield. Show JulesWinfield's posts

Good answer, Grogan.  I agree about Guyton.  He has that blue-collar feel to him IMHO, and he's pretty good in coverage.  He could be a real surprise this year. 

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from artielang. Show artielang's posts

i agree with guyton too. the guy is fast and he looked stronger than advertised last season, and should be greatly improved in that area this year. last season he just seemed to have a presence on the field, and i think his "jump" from year one to year two could be exciting.
    i also think greg lewis could turn some heads this year. 

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from 347pg. Show 347pg's posts

I'm gonna say Mankins, Wilfork or Seymour if their contracts are not renewed before next year.  They'll all be playing for free agency and will step their games up just that much more.  We may see Sir Richard get a pass rush like he used to have, which would be nice.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from agcsbill. Show agcsbill's posts

Considering what everyone has said about Brady and the extent of his knee injury, I think it will be Brady that is the biggest surprise.  There are players who have yet to reach their potential and when they do, they're supposed to be a big surprise?  We have seen a good share of posters, from outside of Pats Nation, who have wished Brady well and many more who do not think he will make if back to the level he achieved in '07.  Those are the folks that don't want Brady to be the Comeback Players of the Year, because if he were, the Pats did awfully well this year, if not going on to win the SB.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from pats-fan-2007. Show pats-fan-2007's posts

Guyton and Crable are great picks.

My super surprise is D. Butler.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from joshkp55. Show joshkp55's posts

Guyton, Sanders, Crable, and Alex Smith. All four of these guys are going to make an impact in some way this season, and for many more seasons to come. Cant wait for the season.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from wozzy. Show wozzy's posts

It will fly under the radar because hogs don't get much respect but I think Ryan O'Callaghan will eventually start at the tackle position and be very solid.

Pierre Woods could also be nominated because most posters are looking for the latest thing instead of something homegrown that's been sitting behind Vrabel learning and maturing; I wouldn't be surprised if he led us in sacks simply because A Thomas will be playing inside or in coverage more often than not.

Darius Butler could surprise early with his talent and maturity; I don't know if he can count as a surprise considering where he was picked but it wouldn't surprise me if he started right out of camp.  He is slick, quick and is covering Randy Moss or Wes in practice everyday, there's no tougher assignment than that anywhere in the league.

Edelman is tough to gauge, he is quick and could catch on as a slot receiver but I don't see a lot of the "wildcat" garbage people are getting hyped about.  It's just college football and once teams around the league figured out that it was hot they learned how to defend it, by seasons end nobody was wildcatting with any success.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from sportsbozo1. Show sportsbozo1's posts

Butler could pass both Wheatley and Whilhite on the depth charts,McGowan could actually replace Sanders. But my favorite surprise would be either Crable winning the OLB/DE job or Patrick Pass getting his old job back as KR/FB.I'll pray for Pass too succeed,because good people deserve to have good things happen to them.He reminds me of Heath Evans.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsChowder. Show PatsChowder's posts

Posted by BSII

I agree that Meriweather is the one to make the jump. Edelman, Crable, and O'Connell are all trendy players right now, but Meriweather is going to get a lot of time and he is been in the system long enough. It's time for him to step to the next level.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from themightypatriots. Show themightypatriots's posts

Ellis Hobbs ... when the Eagles keep him healthy by not making him return kickoffs, you will all see how good a cornerback he can be. 

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from MVPkilla. Show MVPkilla's posts

I always though Hobss was a good slot CB but not a great starter so he might show us what  good CB he can be as a 3rd CB but most of us always said he was meant to be a slot CB anyway so its not really proving much. But if he becomes the #2 CB and has a bunch of INTs then you are right. But unless he gets a bunch of INTs or a Pro Bowl bid or something he wont prove sh*t to anyone.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from BSII. Show BSII's posts

Hobbs is gone due to money.  He's a decent CB and good kick returner, not great but not as bad as some made him out to be.  Problem was he wanted #1 corner money and was threatening to be a distraction.  Springs, Bodden, Butler, Wheatley and Whilhite are a nice group.  Ellis is not needed.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from RandyMossinThem. Show RandyMossinThem's posts

Tully Banta-cain .......... jk lol

Sections
Shortcuts