What Position Do We Draft Next Season In The First Round?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from DuncanOrange. Show DuncanOrange's posts

What Position Do We Draft Next Season In The First Round?

With two first round picks there are so many ways we could go.   Hoodie will probably draft a dominating college tackle that can start right away at guard to replace Mankins and keep or offensive line intact.   A potential franchise RB would also be nice, considering Ellis and Woodhead will still be around, allowing an explosive future feature back to develop for a couple seasons kind of like Carolina did with Stewart and Williams.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Pancakespwn. Show Pancakespwn's posts

Re: What Position Do We Draft Next Season In The First Round?

DE even with Warren back Wright is a rotational player. 

WR-Depending on how Price pans out

OLB-To pair up with Cunningham 

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from ShiningWizard. Show ShiningWizard's posts

I'm thinking BPA with that Raider pick, and I don't think you could go wrong upgrading the depth at any number of positions on this team. 

My preference would be either Allen Bailey or Ryan Kerrigan.  Bailey reminds me a lot of McGinest, and I think he could contribute immediately as a nickel pass rusher in sub packages.  Kerrigan just exemplifies everything Belichick looks for in a football player.  He's smart, tough and plays the game with a lot of passion.  He's also been an extremely productive player at Purdue. 

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Gulo. Show Gulo's posts

probably O Line, especially with so much doubt with mankins contract and Neals age.  Connolly is pretty good, but apart from Vollmer, they are getting old

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Paul_K. Show Paul_K's posts

In what particular position, I'd say #15, #32 and #34. For the Patriots a #34 is all the first round that they usually get.  The #15 will be traded for a #19 and then a #26 and two third rounders.  I'm assuming that the Jets will draft at #27. 

Funny how BB steps right in front of the Jets and leaves them Kyle Shrimpy-Arms Wilson, who was back in coverage on 4 plays on Monday night. 

The #34 will be traded for a first rounder in 2012.

Oh, which type of player!  Offensive guard late in the first, and running back in the second round.  Another cornerback in the first round. 

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Rocky. Show Rocky's posts

In Response to Re: What Position Do We Draft Next Season In The First Round?:
    In what particular position, I'd say #15, #32 and #34. For the Patriots a #34 is all the first round that they usually get.  The #15 will be traded for a #19 and then a #26 and two third rounders.  I'm assuming that the Jets will draft at #27.  Funny how BB steps right in front of the Jets and leaves them Kyle Shrimpy-Arms Wilson, who was back in coverage on 4 plays on Monday night.  The #34 will be traded for a first rounder in 2012. Oh, which type of player!  Offensive guard late in the first, and running back in the second round.  Another cornerback in the first round. 
    Posted by Paul_K

The #34 will be traded for a first rounder in 2012

I agree....It just depends on the team.  Coach will want a chance of a top 15 pick

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Mrcoleman143. Show Mrcoleman143's posts

Need pass rusher.then RB with good instinctive,cutback,speed. No Maroney's please!

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Faucetman. Show Faucetman's posts

I posted this on the draft thread but I'll add it here.  I think a stud DE in the mold of Richard Seymour is our biggest need.  Yes, Ty Warren will be back but he doesn't replace Seymour.  When you run the base 34, you need to be able to get pressure from your front 3.  VW is doing all he can do stuffing the middle and drawing a double team but he needs help.  Deaderick is showing promise but he is not a young Richard Seymour.

There is one potential player who plays mean and nasty (and a little bit dirty which we need to break him of) who could step in day 1 and be extremely disruptive.  He has 10.5 sacks from his DT position.  He has 24 tackles for loss, 18 solo.  He's 6-4, 306 lbs and he plays for the #1 college team in the country.  He cannot be doubled.  He eats QBs for lunch.  If he comes out, he would likely go in the 3-6 range meaning it would likely take a bold move to get him.

I also like JJ Watt.  He might not be quite as ready to make an impact.  But he never comes off the field.  At 6-5, 292 (might be 300 now) and very fast, sub 5.0, he bats down passes, he's always in the backfield.  He has a variety of moves.  He can use the swim move, the bull rush, the edge rush, you name it.  He plays smart.  He is a Patriot player all the way.  I think he goes in the 6-10 range and might be had with our Raider pick plus our late 2nd.  JJ Watt should be our pick, but I would not be upset if we went after Nick Fairley.

Guys, everything starts up front.  If your front 3 isn't getting pressure, your DBs can only cover so long.  I'm not seeing the pressure.  BB drafted 3 DL in the first round so he has a strong history of spending his picks on DL studs.  I know a big bold move up to land one of the top DLs isn't his normal character but we have the ammo.  We have the best record in football, we don't need quantity, we need quality.  If the guy we're drafting isn't better than the guy we have, why draft him other than for depth?  Depth players can be found in the later rounds.

After this, we need an OT to replace Light.  Mankins needs to be signed.  We have the money and I wish we'd quit messing around.  Meet the man half way.  He's a beast, he never misses a practice or game.  He's bullet proof, you can't hurt him.  He plays mean and nasty but is a great guy off the field.  We can get a decent OG to back up Mankins and Connolly 3rd round.  Neal will likely retire.

That's two premium picks, a late 2nd and a 3rd used.  Woody is now signed through 2012.  Let's get BJGE locked up and add 1 F/A RB and draft one in the 3rd or 4th.  There is talent all the way through the fourth round at RB.  We don't need to waste a high pick on a back. 

With our CAR pick we can get an pass rushing OLB or a cover safety.  Sanders and Meriweather are both F/A after 2011.  Chung is a box safety, he can't cover.  Bodden is coming back.  WR is another option but BB never takes one early.  that's my 3 cents worth.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from garytx. Show garytx's posts

I didn't think the Pats needed a DE because Ty was out getting fixed and the other DLs were working out pretty well.  But after watching the Jets game I saw the pocket form and there was no colapse.  The DEs need to get more pressure on the QB.  They need to be double teamed which the are not presently.  If a team has to keep a TE in for blocking I wonder how effective Cunningham would be?  I think you would see his numbers jump up dramatically.  With a huge group of DEs going high in the next draft I think the Pats land a good one.

Neal can't stay healthy so Connolly takes over.  If the Pats and Mankins can kiss and make up that will make my day.  That way we have Kaczur backing up at guard and keep him away from tackle.  A backup tackle is needed even if Light stays.  Tackle is a need.

Runningback can be addressed with the 4th or 5th pick. 

Another OLB is a need.  But I just don't see anything out there at this time after spending the 1st pick on a DE.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from laynard. Show laynard's posts

Woody is now signed through 2012.  Let's get BJGE locked up and add 1 F/A RB and draft one in the 3rd or 4th.  There is talent all the way through the fourth round at RB.  We don't need to waste a high pick on a back.
    Posted by Faucetman

Earlier in the season I thought we'd go hard after D'angelo Williams in the off season, especially with the injury and Carolina already having his replacement on the roster (Stewart). I thought the injury might help us get him on a nice contract. Now...

We don't need him, Ben Danny Green-Woodhead is more then enough for me, you got it right Faucet, mid-round RB at the HIGHEST.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from 49Patriots. Show 49Patriots's posts

DL and OLB with the first two. 

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from JaeD. Show JaeD's posts

I would like to see either the best pure DE or DE/OLB with the first pick and an OG/C with the second.  We have a ton of guys on both lines but only a few top guys, Mankins, Wilfork, Warren and Hopefully Vollmer.  Like some one else said it all starts up front.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from nomadfan. Show nomadfan's posts

They definitely need new blood on the offensive line: with Neal and Kaczur ( Koppen?) out now and Matt Light getting older, and the uncertainty about re-signing Mankins.

On the defense side, it depends on how the rookie are improving. Ty Warren and Bodden will be back next year. But finding a good pass rusher in the mold of Suggs will be very nice.

There is a real possibility that BB will trade one of the 2 first picks. BB has so many picks for next year and the team is gelling so that there may not be many open slots in the roster. BB's history is to not draft hyped up expensive rookies, and instead try to find rough gems and developing them. Especially now, he can afford the time needed to bring them along. The Pats activities will likely be concentrated in the second and third rounds, and BB may trade out some of the draft picks for picks a year or so later. The team is young and developing well as a unit. There is no reason to overstock next year and have to make painful cut or under-utilize what the team presently has.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from seattlepat70. Show seattlepat70's posts

I didn't think the Pats needed a DE because Ty was out getting fixed and the other DLs were working out pretty well.  But after watching the Jets game I saw the pocket form and there was no colapse.  The DEs need to get more pressure on the QB.  They need to be double teamed which the are not presently.  If a team has to keep a TE in for blocking I wonder how effective Cunningham would be?  I think you would see his numbers jump up dramatically.  With a huge group of DEs going high in the next draft I think the Pats land a good one. Neal can't stay healthy so Connolly takes over.  If the Pats and Mankins can kiss and make up that will make my day.  That way we have Kaczur backing up at guard and keep him away from tackle.  A backup tackle is needed even if Light stays.  Tackle is a need. Runningback can be addressed with the 4th or 5th pick.  Another OLB is a need.  But I just don't see anything out there at this time after spending the 1st pick on a DE.
    Posted by garytx

i agree that the de is the priority need. the pats really has to get someone like sey - can get to the qb with speed/quickness but can also bull rush an OL back to the qb. i can't see a de doing that unless at least 300 lbs. other than fairley, i don't know if there's another one who could warrant throwing a mid-first rnd pick on.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Wizardsjag. Show Wizardsjag's posts

I'm going to go OLB (replacement for Ninkovich) and then for the second 1st round pick OT (replacement for Light). That is if BB doesn't trade these picks, plus the second pick as mentioned before they could go with best available player.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

Good OTs are hard to get in late rounds (Vollmer is an exception), so I wouldn't be surprised to see one of our first-round picks used for an OT.  After that, on defense we could use an OLB, a DE, and a CB.  On offense, a G/C, a WR, and a RB.  Who we pick will depend on what talent is available, but I think OT will be right up there. 

Oh . . . and like I said last year, let's try to get Mankins signed.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from calchu7. Show calchu7's posts

On defense I would say another player on the D-Line or someone else in the secondary.

On offense we should pick up another RB, 2 just isn't enough.  Maybe another WR too, but with a little more experience Tate would be a decent 3rd WR.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from habssuck09. Show habssuck09's posts

If BB actually takes the two first round picks DE, Olb, or OL

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Philskiw. Show Philskiw's posts

We need an O tackle. Probably a left tackle. Light is getting long in the tooth. He could go for his "last contract" which would be with another team. Volmer can play oin the right.

We also need a pass rusher, a big short down RB, a 3-4 OLB, and if BPA a wide receiver. I think the exciting part of this draft is Bill B has a high pick. Mayo caught me off guard. I thought he was looking at Rivers.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Faucetman. Show Faucetman's posts

I didn't think the Pats needed a DE because Ty was out getting fixed and the other DLs were working out pretty well.  But after watching the Jets game I saw the pocket form and there was no colapse.  The DEs need to get more pressure on the QB.  They need to be double teamed which the are not presently.  If a team has to keep a TE in for blocking I wonder how effective Cunningham would be?  I think you would see his numbers jump up dramatically.  With a huge group of DEs going high in the next draft I think the Pats land a good one. Neal can't stay healthy so Connolly takes over.  If the Pats and Mankins can kiss and make up that will make my day.  That way we have Kaczur backing up at guard and keep him away from tackle.  A backup tackle is needed even if Light stays.  Tackle is a need. Runningback can be addressed with the 4th or 5th pick.  Another OLB is a need.  But I just don't see anything out there at this time after spending the 1st pick on a DE.
    Posted by garytx

Gary,

Here's my thinking.  Extend Mankins.  Connolly plays RG and backs up Koppen.  Kaz/Wendell back up the OG position.  We look to draft one of these guys at 32, Sherrod, Castonzo, Carimi or Solder.  We then take 64/14 (OAK) moving up to 8/9 to get JJ Watt.

8 (14/64) DE JJ Watt
    32 OT Cabe Carimi
    33 trade down to 40 and 2012 3rd
    40 trade down to 65 and 2012 2nd (CAR gets their pick back)
    65 OLB KJ Wright We just got back our 64 and picked up a 2nd and 3rd for 2012.
    74 (MIN) OG John Moffitt
    96 WR Greg Salas
    127 C Jake Kirkpatrick
    6C RB Keith Payne

We come away with 7 picks, 5 in the top 3 rounds.  We land the big prize, JJ Watt to solidify our DL.  With Ty Warren coming back, our DL could be a position of strength, not weakness.

Carimi starts day 1 at LT, Vollmer stays are RT.  Moffitt backs up RG.  When Koppen gets hurts or leaves, Connolly moves to C and Moffitt plays RG.  Kirkpatrick might even be ready to start at this point at C.

With the $17MM left from signing Mankins we go get a F/A RB, a F/A cover S and our nickel CB.  I like Jonathan Joseph from CINC.  If Bodden or McCourty go down, we have a starting CB to take over and to bring in on nickel and dime sets.  We restructure Branch and extend him through 2013.

KJ Wright will battle Ninkovich and may beat him outright at LOLB.  Salas is a big WR from Hawaii, very productive.  Payne is a big bruising back 6-3, 255, 4.63.  We use him on short yardage situations.   

I don't see any holes left.  We have an extra 2012 2nd and 3rd round pick and this team dominates for years.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from 123meg. Show 123meg's posts

Pass rushing OLB, O Line, D Line, Corner

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Patriots1970. Show Patriots1970's posts

Should be the best

DE the first and second - both Warren's are old and the back-ups are well just that and lately injured....

OL with the second as Light, Mankins and Neal are all at the end of their contracts or maybe Neal has to retire.... and Koppen needs a replacement at some point.

then OLB - best pass rusher available.

If there is a rookie cap in place, I can see BB moving up not down by trading the carolina pick. The Pats have a nice young team, but could use more talent in these three areas.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from thejoshuatree28. Show thejoshuatree28's posts

Good OTs are hard to get in late rounds (Vollmer is an exception), so I wouldn't be surprised to see one of our first-round picks used for an OT.  After that, on defense we could use an OLB, a DE, and a CB.  On offense, a G/C, a WR, and a RB.  Who we pick will depend on what talent is available, but I think OT will be right up there.   Oh . . . and like I said last year, let's try to get Mankins signed.
    Posted by prolate0spheroid

vollmer was drafted at the end of the second, not exactly a late round pick

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from majorUpside. Show majorUpside's posts

I assume Steve Neal and Mankins are both gone one way or another so my vote would be offensive line... but in the end I'll stick with: "In Bill We Trust."

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

In Response to Re: What Position Do We Draft Next Season In The First Round? : vollmer was drafted at the end of the second, not exactly a late round pick
    Posted by thejoshuatree28
    I had forgotten he was taken that high.  Still, good (left) tackles rarely last past the first round (there are, of course, exceptions like Michael Roos, but they are rare). There's a bit more luck with right tackles in lower rounds, but I think we need a left tackle to replace Light in the next few years.  If Vollmer moves left, then a lower round tackle makes more sense, but I have a feeling Vollmer is staying on the right.

Sections
Shortcuts