What should BB have done about the WR position.

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from pcmIV. Show pcmIV's posts

Re: What should BB have done about the WR position.

In response to pezz4pats' comment:

You just don't dump 4 receivers at once and expect 4 rookies to take there place.  This is too much burden on the receivers, the QB, the team, the coaches and ya.... the fans

You are just making s hit up.  What 4 receivers did we dump?  Lloyd and Wes look like it to me unless you are counting old man Branch which would be hilarious.

2. This post has been removed.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from apdynasty23. Show apdynasty23's posts

In response to DontQuestionBB's comment:

Re-signed Welker, offered E. Sanders an offer the Steelers could not match, draft Patterson or D. Hopkins, maybe even took a chance on player like Donnie Avery a veteran they could provide a deep threat.  I also would have picked up Dallas Clark as insurance at the TE position after Hernandez got arrested.

There's a salary cap?

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from seawolfxs. Show seawolfxs's posts

Past

He should have stopped Gronk from getting hurt

He should have stopped AH from killing anyone

He should have stopped Vereen from hurting his wrist

Present

He should ask what has happened to dobson's hands

He should ask TB to throw a great pass everytime.

He should be thankful he had JE as the back up slot reciever

Future

Let the rooks play

Pat's Fan lost in Jet Land

5. This post has been removed.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

In response to apdynasty23's comment:

In response to DontQuestionBB's comment:

Re-signed Welker, offered E. Sanders an offer the Steelers could not match, draft Patterson or D. Hopkins, maybe even took a chance on player like Donnie Avery a veteran they could provide a deep threat.  I also would have picked up Dallas Clark as insurance at the TE position after Hernandez got arrested.

There's a salary cap?

We have over $10mil in space right now. There's room for everyone he listed and still have enough cap for in season signings

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from pcmIV. Show pcmIV's posts

In response to PatsEng's comment:

We have over $10mil in space right now. There's room for everyone he listed and still have enough cap for in season signings

People keep quoting this number.  Some people even quote higher numbers like 13 or 14 million.  I have never seen a source with either of those numbers. 

The NFLPA has the Pats at 7.4 million.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from tanbass. Show tanbass's posts

In response to rtuinila's comment:

that is the question..........Why did BB forfeit the "experience " factor this year???

Possibly because the experienced players the WR corp was built on never experienced a championship. So it was time to clean house and start over.

This ^^^^^

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from FrnkBnhm. Show FrnkBnhm's posts

In response to FrankDooley's comment:

Besides, we need to get back to basics like running it consistently (underachieved there so far) and ball control.  Good in the Jets game, not so good in the Bills game.

We need this next game to be:

1. A lead RB over 100 yards

2. No turnovers

We do that, we'll win going away on Sunday.

Did you mean this the other way around? They had a 100 runner in Buffalo and they actually ran the ball at pretty much the same rate (40% runs in the Bills game 38% runs in the Jets game).

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from PATSchampsSB. Show PATSchampsSB's posts

with the 48th pick of the 2012 nfl draft patriots could select T.Y hilton

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from pezz4pats. Show pezz4pats's posts

In response to pcmIV's comment:

In response to pezz4pats' comment:

You just don't dump 4 receivers at once and expect 4 rookies to take there place.  This is too much burden on the receivers, the QB, the team, the coaches and ya.... the fans

You are just making s hit up.  What 4 receivers did we dump?  Lloyd and Wes look like it to me unless you are counting old man Branch which would be hilarious.

LLoyd, Branch, Welker, Fells, even Woody who was catching alot and all part of the record breaking offense, and all gone.    Dobson, Tompkins, Sudfeld, Boyce.   And yes, old man Branch has been on the team for years, as a receiver.  Who'd they replace Moss with?  There has been no receiver upgrade since then except the oft injured gronk and the serial killer........ and then all at once.

Terrible management, no anticipation, ignoring obvious red flags,  4 rookies as plan A, b, c, d.

Looks like ur making the s hit up, tough guy.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

What should of BB done for the wide receiver position? Well he shouldn't of signed Amendola...that's a start..and I doubt we'll see him here next season (certainly not at his current price). They could of kept Lloyd at least until they saw what they had in camp. They could of offered Sanders more money - when you're sitting with 14 million to spend, throwing a couple million more at him wouldn't of crippled us. You could of signed Dallas Clark...he looks like he has a little something left...not much, but better than what we currently have.

There's a few ideas right there without putting much thought into it. I will say I think we'll be fine in the passing game eventually (perhaps better in the long run), the problem is that the NFL is not a very forgiving place to make mistakes while you are learning and sorting things out.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from CablesWyndBairn. Show CablesWyndBairn's posts

In response to wozzy's comment:

This won't be popular here but if Edelman stays healthy he will replace the production in the slot we  are missing with Welker and Amendola, especially if the rooks continue to improve at the biggest receiver weakness we had prior to Welker leaving, out on the edges.

I think Edelman is part of the equation, for sure, but he just needs to stay healthy or it could get really ugly.  All three of the rooks can play outside, let's hope they can show some improvement after a nice, long week of practice. 

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from 49Patriots. Show 49Patriots's posts

In response to PATSchampsSB's comment:

Higher Drops per throw than anyone in the league.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from FrnkBnhm. Show FrnkBnhm's posts

In response to 49Patriots' comment:

Counting Kenbrell Thompkins?

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from PATSchampsSB. Show PATSchampsSB's posts

I think he is explosive. I would like to have him on the team. 

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Getzo. Show Getzo's posts

In response to PatsEng's comment:

How about signing both Welker and Amendola? They had the money.

Offering $1mil more to get Sanders. They obviously wanted him

Tried to bring in Kevin Walters. He's not a starter but has been a durable productive vet.

How about Heyward-Bey. If not else he was a cheap durable vet option with some upside.

There was plenty BB could have done but instead went on the cheap looking for low cost injury risk players instead of signing proven durable vets to add some stability in production and health to the WR core. Instead he put his eggs into a single basket (Amendola) and said the cliche "the injures were flukes there's no such thing as an injury prone player" like many people (including yourself Getzo) who touted the same thought and now Amendola most likely won't be back until mid October-late October and hopefully the groin doesn't nag him thoughtout the season as they typically do.

The thing is rooks take time to develop. Most take longer than a year. So now you are expecting the rooks to develop even quicker in one of the more complicated and demanding O's in the league because you put your hopes into an injury prone player. They would have been better off drafting just the two and trying to sneak Thompkins on to the PS to carry and extra vet if their only two vets are injury prone. What happens when Edelman goes dow and if Amendola is still out?

I swear by lil 10 pound bearded baby Jesus

Hello Mr. Engineer,

"How about signing both Welker and Amendola? They had the money."

They did try no?  They offered a bigger contract if Wes hit escalators... Wes wanted out as much as he wanted more money.  Bad blood here regardless I think.  Now from here did Pats really 'lose' anything?

"Offering $1mil more to get Sanders. They obviously wanted him"

Yes they did want him, but at a certain cost.  Remember they would have to give up a third round pick as well & then have to pay the man.  Then you would have to figure they'd have to extend him, or pay someone $3 mill for a one year rental and then lose a third round pick, which turned into Harom who is our third safety right now with A. Wilson injured - and a top 50 draft prospect in Logan Ryan. 

"Tried to bring in Kevin Walters. He's not a starter but has been a durable productive vet."

As they did with Molasses Mike Jenkins.  Might as well give the guys with a higher ceiling the reps... the rooks.

"How about Heyward-Bey. If not else he was a cheap durable vet option with some upside."

We already have WR's that get seperation and drop the ball deep! LOL!  JK but kinda serious.  I honestly rather have Dobson and Thompkins over him.  They are about 5/6 games away from being more skilled players at the position fro the little I seen IMHO.  They already have better stats this year as well. 

"the injures were flukes there's no such thing as an injury prone player" like many people (including yourself Getzo)"

Don't remember saying that but if I did, I believe you.  My premise with this entire Amendola thing is what he brought to that Buffalo game.  There are not many WR's in the league that hold onto that ball across the middle, and play the slot so efficiently.   

While he's been injured there was two major injuries that kept him out.   Another poster just alluded to the fact he didn't find an injury history during college with him, so I'm not sure about the label.  Obviously this groin injury doesn't help, but what I felt was that some people just need a fresh start.  I was hoping coming to NE would have done that.  Still Amendola is injured and I won't make excuses for that.  

Again,  hindsight is really what's being considered here.  I think the Pats did their best with the options they had.  They needed young talent at the position.  They did that.  They brought in a great slot receiver that happens to get injured, and they kept another slot receiver that happens to get injured.  Hopefully things change for them.  Welker getting away is the only miss in my opinion, but I don't see the Pats shooting themselves as it takes two to make it work. 

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from 49Patriots. Show 49Patriots's posts

In response to RSPCB73's comment:

Good observations.  The youth movement was long overdue.  Brady needed a dose of the new reality.  If he shows patience with the young core, nurturing them instead of berating them publicly, near the midpoint of the season, he will be throwing to Gronk, Amendola, Edelman and a confident group of the new X-men who will take us deep into the playoffs.

The way Dobson moved down the field, a healthy Gronk and Amendola would be scary good. The guy didn't forget how to catch, he doesn't have a history of dropping passes or character concerns. He'll get it together, he'll help the team. By the time we get to Pitt, he should be a stud.

As far as Sanders is concerned, they got Boyce instead (The 4th expected to go to Pitt for Sanders). Time will tell if that was good or bad, not 2 games.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from 49Patriots. Show 49Patriots's posts

We have Josh Boyce.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsLifer. Show PatsLifer's posts

There are a few things bb could have done. my opinion is not influenced with how other players played so far. I would have done this back around FA/draft time.

1. Signed Emmanuel sanders. I few extra bucks and he would have been had. He would have been my 1-2 at WR. 

2. Move up a couple of spots in the draft and taken deandre Hopkins. A lot of us liked him pre draft, me being one of them. He would have been my number 1-2. He is my outside threat.

3. Signed Edelman which they did. Used him everywhere on the field.

4. drafted stedman bailey in round 3. Drafted Harmon in round 4/5. Went FA route with cb instead of Logan Ryan (who I really liked btw). These are all tied together. A lot of us, including MB and myself were high on bailey. He is built for the slot. 

3 vets in sanders, Edelman, slater...2 rooks in Hopkins and bailey. I called most of this pre draft in case anyone says I am playing MMQB.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsLifer. Show PatsLifer's posts

And resigned woodhead instead of trading for Blount.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from agcsbill. Show agcsbill's posts

You know, if these rookies develop as BB believes they can and we have yet to see, later this season we may all be genuflecting to BB.  Only two games in and patience is wearing thin already in some circles, huh?  I wonder what this site would be like if the Pats started out 0 - 2?

Cover your eyes and ears!!!!!

AGCSBill, just a fan havin' fun!!

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from PATSchampsSB. Show PATSchampsSB's posts

We have Josh Boyce.

Yeah man, he is explosive, let`s see if he starts getting more involved in the offense, why isn`t he being used?

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Low-FB-IQ. Show Low-FB-IQ's posts

Hmmm let's see.

They tried to sign Welker and even offered him a equal or better deal than he got, at least I am led to believe.

They went after and made a play for Emmanuel Sanders but they didn't land him.

They made a play for Lloyd, although the story came out recently I am not sure anyone truley knows exactly when that happened. Maybe it said in some article. I don't know.

They brought in veterens, WHO GOT BEAT OUT, by who they kept. Hawkins, Jenkins, Jones. Not to mention Amendola who they kept.

They had Fells, another veteran, WHO GOT BEAT OUT.

Branch should not have even played over Edleman imo the last year.

What makes anyone think that other veterans like Heyward-Bay, etc would do ANY better at getting on Brandy's page in this system, than the likes of the veterans who were beat out this year OR past veterans like Johnson, Galloway, etc who Never got it???

Many of us liked Hopkins coming out this year but he was GONE before Pats picked. If you are trading up what are you giving up and don't say nothing good because IF you are initiating a trade you are dealing from a position of weakness so who are you not taking this season or giving up on your current roster to move up? Both parties have to be willing to make it happen. Fantasy dream trading is a waste of discussion. Also Hopkins has done well so far this season, however, that is NO guarantee of what he would do here with the Pats in their system.

Many of us like Baily coming out. He's been active for 2 gms. He has zero targets and o bviously no receptions so he's done less than  the Pats WR's. Yes he may have better depth in front of him and that is why he has no targets but that does not mean he would be doing any better than what is here. We do not know.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from expertmike. Show expertmike's posts

They should have resigned Welker.  And/or signed any one of Stallworth, Lloyd or Branch.

They shouldn't have signed a career injury risk, especially while gutting the team of so many other experienced players. 

They should have simplified the offense - let the rooks use their athletic abilities to contribute.  Brady's out there trying to execute calculus with a collection of guys who count on their fingers.  Where is the coaching leadership to force these guys to get in-synch?

They shouldn't have had Brady restructure his contract then not get additional talent and allow the existing talent level to be greatly diminished.  Makes management look slimly. 

Shouldn't disassemble a highly successful team without reason unless/until you can replace with something better. 

Total management irresponsibility. 

Sections
Shortcuts