What should BB have done about the WR position.

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Getzo. Show Getzo's posts

What should BB have done about the WR position.

There have been many to show their dislike for what BB has done with his WR's.

Now my question is where did he really mess up?  Ok Welker got away and there seemed to be some bad blood that goes into that equations.

Llyod was gone and most of us said see ya.  BB tried to get Sanders and that failed, but he did try and was the only coach to put in a RFA claim.  

So that leave the Pats were they are with their current squad really, aside from BB bringing in Amendola.  They drafted a WR high - most likely the one they wanted - and got a brner finally in Boyce.  

I thought about this because a lot of people thought BB left Brady high and dry, but WHAT could he have really done?  Maybe Welker should be here but then what?

Then i read this morning, which made me think of writing this:

Chris Welch (Washington DC)

Hey Tedy. Is there a chance that the patriots look to not only add a veteran wide receiver but even potentially another tight end to help out Tom Brady?

Tedy   (12:18 PM)

Chris, it sounds like you want a quick-fix, and I'm telling you, the quick-fix isn't coming. If there was somebody better out there, he'd already be on the roster. When and if they did sign someone: 1) Is that player ready to play football phsyically?; 2) Do you really want to stop the development of the young WRs and put them on the bench?

The bottom line is there was never going to be a quick fix.  

Thoughts?  What should have Pats done?  get Wallace????

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from RSPCB73. Show RSPCB73's posts

Re: What should BB have done about the WR position.

Good observations.  The youth movement was long overdue.  Brady needed a dose of the new reality.  If he shows patience with the young core, nurturing them instead of berating them publicly, near the midpoint of the season, he will be throwing to Gronk, Amendola, Edelman and a confident group of the new X-men who will take us deep into the playoffs.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Iceman4. Show Iceman4's posts

I might have considered a Moss signing....just to help out rooks.

Jenkins had experience.......but we let him go

We didn't go hard enough after Sanders or Wes...knowing we were in trouble with inexperience at WR position

In all 3 situations....and I don't think any of them are that great or that they considered any of them.....we gave up on keeping the "experience"

that is the question..........Why did BB forfeit the "experience " factor this year???

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Getzo. Show Getzo's posts

In response to RSPCB73's comment:

Good observations.  The youth movement was long overdue.  Brady needed a dose of the new reality.  If he shows patience with the young core, nurturing them instead of berating them publicly, near the midpoint of the season, he will be throwing to Gronk, Amendola, Edelman and a confident group of the new X-men who will take us deep into the playoffs.

We need more than 50 posts from you... keepem coming.  Thanks for posting.  

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Getzo. Show Getzo's posts

In response to Iceman4's comment:

We didn't go hard enough after Sanders or Wes...knowing we were in trouble with inexperience at WR position

In all 3 situations....and I don't think any of them are that great or that they considered any of them.....we gave up on keeping the "experience"

that is the question..........Why did BB forfeit the "experience " factor this year???

Maybe that why BB is so happy being 2-0 right now.  He probably feels good about next week, and if they pull out the win they are in ghreat shape to start a season with all rookie WR's basically.  The growing pains will get better as we go.  

As far as Jenkins... I don't think I want a WR nick named molasses mike.  No offense.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from stillgridlocked. Show stillgridlocked's posts

They should bring in Austin Collie.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from pcmIV. Show pcmIV's posts

The only real question was keeping Welker vs signing Amendola.  Obviously the early returns haven't been great, but we'll see how it plays out.  As I have said in other threads I think the loss of the most dynamic TE group in the league has had a bigger impact on the offense than losing Wes.  As for the rooks we just have to wait and see.  Consider a team like Denver who everyone keeps raving about in terms of weapons for Manning.  They had to be patient with Decker and Thomas and now that patience is paying off. 

8. This post has been removed.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from TripleOG. Show TripleOG's posts

I think all was expected but that Improved Run Game and "NOW we are gonna be smashmouth" was the Theme that I for one kept shooting down because I knew it was a farce.

I DID expect a few things. I expected the Offense to be more simplified while going through these growing pains. I expected us to be ABLE to lean on a running game returning a 1200 yard back and a dynamic scat back along with a  big guy like Blount and flavor of the week, Bolden. I expected our Run Defense to be just as good as last year and maybe better.

Now the last thing I think will improve in time. (lots of big games on the ground early, every season). I am wondering what it takes for this "VERY GOOD" O line to pave some holes in the run game when NOT Playing the Bills. I also think the WRs are being asked to do too much with all these deep routes instead of acclimating with them short passes like Edleman gets. I get that they are better,  but why not ease them in and make it easy for them?

This team has to be MORE CREATIVE, which we already saw with the Dobson TD. If Joshy can draw up like 2 to 3 plays like that a game to keep the defense honest it will go a long way. One thing about C.Weiss, he was creative. We never needed the most talent. Thats what Irked me about 07-12. Thinking we were SO talented, we didnt need to be creative anymore. It made us just think we could line up and say, Hey we are going HERE and YOU cant stop it! 2 years ago, I think we went a WHOLE YEAR without a screen pass. Last year was the lowest total of catches by a back in 12 years! NO more Playaction to WIDE OPEN FB in Flat. No more reverse plays. I am encouraged because now with out all this comfortability and talent, The coaching staff is pressed to be more creative because they HAVE too and that could go a long way towards our success.

"Take care of my B*tch, I may need her back in a couple years"

Brady to Manning after Wes signed with Denver

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Getzo. Show Getzo's posts

PCM - This is what the real problem is... the most dynamic TE goruping probably of all time is now gone.  Hopefully Gronk comes back soon, but this hurt the most.  Again, these WR may have dropped a few passes and wrong the route(possible), but they are getting seperatioon which is step one.

Russ - Good stuff man.  I'm with you on the Tamps game for sure.  Do me a favor though.  If some one comes in here and says something to attack you, just ignore it and keep posting info like you did.  

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

I dont have a single problem with Dobson or Boyce, and where they were taken in the draft. I think both have great potential. I love Amendola, but if Edelman was coming back at a fraction of the cost, I would have used the Amendola $$$ elsewhere.

I would also have signed a pass catching TE...(not a draft choice, a free agent)

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from rtuinila. Show rtuinila's posts

In response to Iceman4's comment:

Possibly because the experienced players the WR corp was built on never experienced a championship. So it was time to clean house and start over.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Getzo. Show Getzo's posts

OG - I think the run game is there, but it got off to a bad start with the fumbling, injuries and what not.  It will improve as the pass game improves.  It's only been two weeks... I think this Tampa game will say more about who this team is than the first 2 weeks.

Then of course we will have our Mid-Term test if you will with Atlanta.  

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from anonymis. Show anonymis's posts

He brought in youth, some height, some speed. Sure, it's nice if you can have all of that plus experience, but it had to be done. Plus, really, nothing could be done about AH and Gronk's injuries/surgeries.  Ballard was supposed to be the insurance policy, but that did not work out.

I don't think anything should be done differently, except maybe pick up a veteran WR like Stallworth or Lloyd for the early part of the season.

It's all a crap shoot. I say, just give the rookies as many snaps as possible, Have them spend some more time w/ the Juggs machine...lol, make them stay after school w/ the playbook and McD

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Getzo. Show Getzo's posts

In response to anonymis' comment:

He brought in youth, some height, some speed. Sure, it's nice if you can have all of that plus experience, but it had to be done. Plus, really, nothing could be done about AH and Gronk's injuries/surgeries.  Ballard was supposed to be the insurance policy, but that did not work out.

I don't think anything should be done differently, except maybe pick up a veteran WR like Stallworth or Lloyd for the early part of the season.

It's all a crap shoot. I say, just give the rookies as many snaps as possible, Have them spend some more time w/ the Juggs machine...lol, make them stay after school w/ the playbook and McD

+1  Get the rookies working, which they're doing according to TB.  Keep it up young guns.  

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from agcsbill. Show agcsbill's posts

IMHO, and I have posted this in other discussions, the skill sets Brady has shown working with all manners of receivers and experience, may have proved to be his undoing in the way the Patriots have developed their receiver corps.

Seems no matter who BB throws into the mix, up until recently, Brady continues to rack up high numbers and therefore garners the oft said, "Brady does more with no name receivers than any other QB in the NFL." One can just imagine if he had folks to throw to like Manning, Brees, Ryan and others have had.  I believe BB got spoiled by what Brady can do and simply believed he didn't need to pursue "experienced" WRs for Brady to throw to.

AGCSBill, just a fan havin' fun!!

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

How about signing both Welker and Amendola? They had the money.

Offering $1mil more to get Sanders. They obviously wanted him

Tried to bring in Kevin Walters. He's not a starter but has been a durable productive vet.

How about Heyward-Bey. If not else he was a cheap durable vet option with some upside.

There was plenty BB could have done but instead went on the cheap looking for low cost injury risk players instead of signing proven durable vets to add some stability in production and health to the WR core. Instead he put his eggs into a single basket (Amendola) and said the cliche "the injures were flukes there's no such thing as an injury prone player" like many people (including yourself Getzo) who touted the same thought and now Amendola most likely won't be back until mid October-late October and hopefully the groin doesn't nag him thoughtout the season as they typically do.

The thing is rooks take time to develop. Most take longer than a year. So now you are expecting the rooks to develop even quicker in one of the more complicated and demanding O's in the league because you put your hopes into an injury prone player. They would have been better off drafting just the two and trying to sneak Thompkins on to the PS to carry and extra vet if their only two vets are injury prone. What happens when Edelman goes dow and if Amendola is still out?

I swear by lil 10 pound bearded baby Jesus

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from PATSchampsSB. Show PATSchampsSB's posts

I think BB should have done like he did with Solder, and the RBs, drafted a WR in 2012 than let him learn with Welker, Lloyd, Branch and than he could already know the system this year.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from NoMorePensionLooting. Show NoMorePensionLooting's posts

They tried...Amendola was a likely injury waiting to happen but they rolled the dice. You can see how he played in his short tenure the temptation was to great to pass up...didn't work out.

We tried to get Sanders from Pittsburg. He would have been a very nice fit here. Pitt matched and by the way Pitt is playing they should have let us have him.

We signed several others who looked like good deals but injuries and performance ended that.

I would look at Stallworth otherwise the train has left the station.

It's up to our coaches to design plays that help rookie receivers, run more, and hope that our D continues to play as well as they have.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from CablesWyndBairn. Show CablesWyndBairn's posts

In response to Getzo's comment:

There have been many to show their dislike for what BB has done with his WR's.

Now my question is where did he really mess up?  Ok Welker got away and there seemed to be some bad blood that goes into that equations.

Llyod was gone and most of us said see ya.  BB tried to get Sanders and that failed, but he did try and was the only coach to put in a RFA claim.  

So that leave the Pats were they are with their current squad really, aside from BB bringing in Amendola.  They drafted a WR high - most likely the one they wanted - and got a brner finally in Boyce.  

I thought about this because a lot of people thought BB left Brady high and dry, but WHAT could he have really done?  Maybe Welker should be here but then what?

Then i read this morning, which made me think of writing this:

Chris Welch (Washington DC)

Hey Tedy. Is there a chance that the patriots look to not only add a veteran wide receiver but even potentially another tight end to help out Tom Brady?

Tedy   (12:18 PM)

Chris, it sounds like you want a quick-fix, and I'm telling you, the quick-fix isn't coming. If there was somebody better out there, he'd already be on the roster. When and if they did sign someone: 1) Is that player ready to play football phsyically?; 2) Do you really want to stop the development of the young WRs and put them on the bench?

The bottom line is there was never going to be a quick fix.  

Thoughts?  What should have Pats done?  get Wallace????

The Hernandez situation was unforseeable, and AH was supposed to be the next WW.  They tried to get cheap vets in here and ultimately the Pats decided the best choice  was to hitch their wagon to three rookies and Amendola.  I for one think that patience and frustration could pay off this year.  But even if it doesn't, there are no other alternatives for this year, save a band-aid vet WR body.     

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from ATJ. Show ATJ's posts

Even viewing all of this with the benefit of hindsight I'm not sure that there's a whole lot that could have been done differently.  Obviously, the loss of the Gronk/Hern TE combo is a tough one to overcome.  I don't know enough about the whole Welker transaction to offer an informed comment.  Perhaps there are others in possession of the all the facts but I'm sure not.

Apart from those two issues, the controversy seems to boil down to two elements:

1) youth movement at WR; and

2) signing Amendola

Youth movement:  Needed to be done IMO and I don't have a problem with how it was done.  

Amendola:  There was a caller on Salk and Holley on Friday who was totally convinced that he knew BB had screwed up in signing Amendola because he (the caller) was a big time fantasy football player and he knew what a huge risk Amendola was.  I'm not suggesting that anyone who is opposed to the Amendola signing is that big a dweeb but I would like to offer what I've been able to learn about Amendola's injury history.  

I am unable to locate any indication anywhere (and I've looked into a bit) that Amendola missed any time at Texas Tech due to injury.  With respect to his two season ending injuries with the Rams (1) elbow (2) collarbone, both were suffered on the playing surface that an NFLPA survey determined to be the 4th worst in the league from an injury standpoint.  Does any of that mean Amendola is not 'injury prone'?  No, I don't think so but neither does it indicate, in my judgment, that he is.  With regard to his current injury, I found this piece helpful:  http://emedicine.medscape.com/article/307308-overview.

In my opinion, only time will tell if the Amendola signing is either good or bad. I'm certainly in no position to make that determination at this point.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from wozzy. Show wozzy's posts

This won't be popular here but if Edelman stays healthy he will replace the production in the slot we  are missing with Welker and Amendola, especially if the rooks continue to improve at the biggest receiver weakness we had prior to Welker leaving, out on the edges.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from FrnkBnhm. Show FrnkBnhm's posts

Emmanuel Sanders was not high enough to scare off the Steelers. That was where they dropped the ball in the off-season. Clearly, he was a guy they were interested in.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from rtuinila. Show rtuinila's posts

In response to wozzy's comment:

This won't be popular here but if Edelman stays healthy he will replace the production in the slot we  are missing with Welker and Amendola, especially if the rooks continue to improve at the biggest receiver weakness we had prior to Welker leaving, out on the edges.

Wouldn't it be cool if Edelman became this teams Troy Brown?

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from pezz4pats. Show pezz4pats's posts

In response to PATSchampsSB's comment:

I think BB should have done like he did with Solder, and the RBs, drafted a WR in 2012 than let him learn with Welker, Lloyd, Branch and than he could already know the system this year.

This is the best option except they should have started in 2009 bringing a receiver every year (one that can actually play) and stick.  If you want to turn over an O, you do it gradually, not the whole thing all at once.  You just don't dump 4 receivers at once and expect 4 rookies to take their place.  This is too much burden on the receivers, the QB, the team, the coaches and ya.... the fans

BB has failed with WR's and DB's for ever.  It should have started long ago and no injury prone players at a discount or over paid or over drafted, need apply. They are what they are.

Sections
Shortcuts