What should be the draft priorities, by position the Patriots should address in 2010

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from flip781. Show flip781's posts

What should be the draft priorities, by position the Patriots should address in 2010

In my opinion they should be:

1)  offensive tackle

2)  offensive guard

3) outside linebacker with speed

4) another outsidelinebacker with speed

5)  running  back

6)       punter

Anybody agree based on what you seen of the team's performance in 2009 ??

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from dwhite1220. Show dwhite1220's posts

Re: What should be the draft priorities, by position the Patriots should address in 2010

flip, we need a wr maybe two. If Welker's knee act's up we'll need two.Can't count on TATE. not yet anyway.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsFanGermany. Show PatsFanGermany's posts

Re: What should be the draft priorities, by position the Patriots should address in 2010

I think it will all change due to the Free Agency signings but I think BB puts alot of thought into D-Line first and foremost. 

BB has alot of luck with drafting OL and seems to evaluate better than any other position.  We might draft an O-lineman but I doubt it will be with the first 3 picks.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

Assuming they re-sign Wilfork, Mankins, and a few others, my priorities (draft and free agency) would be:

OT
    OLB (could use 2)
    WR (could use 2)
    CB (need a top guy here)

After that, I'd go for:
    DE
    Guard
    ILB
    TE
    RB

Center is another area that could be upgraded, but it's not urgent.  I'd also keep an eye out for a veteran safety to bring leadership to that young secondary.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from G0Pats. Show G0Pats's posts

"When the Pats draft for the D-line outside the 1st round we usually end up with situational or support guys, Green, Wright, etc."

Mike Wright was undrafted coming out of the University of Cincinnati

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from themightypatriotz. Show themightypatriotz's posts

The only priority now should be finding some O-linemen who can keep Brady healthy.  All the DEs and OLBs in the world won't mean jack if Brady has three cracked ribs, a broken finger, a busted shoulder and a shredded knee.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheFantasyBaron. Show TheFantasyBaron's posts

This team needs a first round talent infusion. The need to find a cover corner who can play in cold weather and not get hurt. They need an ILB and OLB. They need another Richard Seymour. They need an offensive guard, tackle and two WRs. That's at least 8 new starters. I wonder if that's even possible.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from EASON11. Show EASON11's posts

I thik our needs our at wr and lb. We can't depend on Welker at all and if he contributes , thats all the better.Aiken , Edelman can not get the job done. With the three number two's in the draft maybe trade for Bouldin. The lb corp is my biggest gripe!! In the last three years we have passed on Willis, Beason , Cushing, Malalegua,Laurenitis, Hawk,and a half dozen more solid lb's. Guyton is a project that has failed miserably, he gets killed in coverage. Woods is a back up at best. Thomas has just flat out disappointed. I love Junior to death but can we stop signing him every November......LB is a need we so badly have to get better at or we have no chance.......another need is in the return game. We were hell bent on canning Hobbs realy without a replacement...I think our longest kick return was 20 yards.........lots of needs and lots of picks ...............should be interesting.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from MordecaiBloodmoon. Show MordecaiBloodmoon's posts

Eason, when did we pass on Willis?  He was wayyyy off the board when we were picking. 
    Flip, complaining about Thomas is wrong.  I dont recall a single person that didnt jump for joy when we signed him.  Yes, he has not lived upto that, but that is the fun of the NFL.  It proves that great players wont always play as well in another scheme.
    And why in the world would we trade away the 2011 pick?  I am glad EVERYONE that thinks we should do this does not run, influence, or anything important our team.  That is dumb.  Lets trade away a shot at a great player for very little cash.  Yeah that sounds like a good idea!  And worse of all, you want a guy that although talented, drops passes, complains, hurts the locker room chemistry.  Yeah, again sound like a real smart idea. 

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from seattlepat70. Show seattlepat70's posts

Flip's on to something. OL first to address not just protection for Brady, but also opening up lanes for the running back. With a good OL, perhaps even Maroney would not look too bad.

I might have second thoughts about this if either Cody or Hughes slips to 22.

(assuming Cody did not slip and NE picked an OL at 22) I don't know if I'd take two OLs on the first two picks. I think a DE would make more sense for the second pick, preferrably a RDE. Also, the word on this side of the country is that OLs will be in demand this season. Seattle needs to upgrade their OL. We can also expect Dallas to be looking to upgrade theirs given how Romo could not even plant his feet to throw the ball on their last game. How about SD? I think the Pats would have to reach to get two OLs early.

My third pick (2nd second-rounder) is an OLB. There's just one problem. I don't know if there's anybody available who would be an upgrade to TBC. Assuming Hughes is gone, you have Von Miller (Normally, I want to go at least 255 lbs here and I am not sure his speed could overcome his lack of size) and Kindle (I think he is overrated; can't shed off decent blocks). This is probably the pick that BB trades for an OLB. I am hoping he does not end up with an impostor.

For the third second-rounder, it makes most sense to get a speedy WR, or a tough TE with really good hands. I would have said RB here if Welker were not injured. I think Edelman will hold up, but a third pass option is absolutely necessary. I believe there would be good options available on the board at this time.

I also think Thomas can be traded for a third rounder. It does not matter that he does not have much value to the Pats. I think many teams would try to outbid each other for talent like that. This is where NE picks a RB. Else, I'd take here another DE - someone like Lamarr Houston.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from sgmlrm3706. Show sgmlrm3706's posts

I think we have too many needs right now. I say we dump all picks for picks next year's picks and tank this season to make one last go with Brady and Ingram as his RB 

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from MordecaiBloodmoon. Show MordecaiBloodmoon's posts

sgmlrm3706, I really hope u are being sarcastic and are not just an idiot. 

I still see a RB taken because of value, we all know BB likes value.  This draft has very very good RBs that will be available in the 2nd rd.  That makes more sense than reaching for a OL that is 3-4th rd talent.  BB doesnt like to reach, and when he does, he usually is dead on right aka Mankins and Vollmer.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from sgmlrm3706. Show sgmlrm3706's posts

I may be an idiot. i know people hate it but they should continue their same strategy of picking for value. For me it is easy to see that despite some of the pitfalls, they are not as far off as people seem to think they are. Do changes need to be made? Yes. Dramatic changes? No.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Rockdog1293000. Show Rockdog1293000's posts

Agree 100% with pats24/7. If you get a stud outside LB and another beast up front (which they should be able to if they trade 2 seconds for a late first) to replace Seymour than this D would be something to fear next year. Keep Light and Vollmer, and sign a bully interior lineman to replace Neal. And then find some WR's who are smart and know where they are supposed to be.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from wozzy. Show wozzy's posts

We need to resign the players we have before we can make any real assesment of who or where to draft.  Wilfork, Mankins, Bodden and Gostowski should be priority one.  If any or some of those guys go, than you will know the "need" areas for our team.

If we signed those four guys tomorrow, than our biggest needs would be another defensive tackle/end, inside run stuffing linebacker ala Ted Johnson, and possibly a tightend or fullback.  We're pretty stacked at offensive line and with Light's contract, I don't see him going anywhere. 

We can revisit this question after the free agents have either been locked up or let go, always expect that Bill B will take who HE thinks is the best player available, regardless of position and for his system.

Sections
Shortcuts