WHAT SONGS AND THEMES THE EAGLES WONT B USING THIS YEAR THANKS TO THEIR MICHAEL VICK SITUATION?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from prairiemike. Show prairiemike's posts

Re: WHAT SONGS AND THEMES THE EAGLES WONT B USING THIS YEAR THANKS TO THEIR MICHAEL VICK SITUATION?

In Response to Re: WHAT SONGS AND THEMES THE EAGLES WONT B USING THIS YEAR THANKS TO THEIR MICHAEL VICK SITUATION?:
    [QUOTE]please don't post when you are drunk.
    Posted by Harleyroadking111[/QUOTE]

Please ignore this advice.

Drunken posting is much more entertaining for the rest of us.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from agcsbill. Show agcsbill's posts

Re: WHAT SONGS AND THEMES THE EAGLES WONT B USING THIS YEAR THANKS TO THEIR MICHAEL VICK SITUATION?

In Response to Re: WHAT SONGS AND THEMES THE EAGLES WONT B USING THIS YEAR THANKS TO THEIR MICHAEL VICK SITUATION?:
    [QUOTE]Vick is not remorseful about the dogs, he is remorseful about being caught and he's confused as to why so many people are upset over the deaths of the dogs. He is a clueless thug lacking any moral decency.  If Vick is so deserving of a second chance do you think he would still be doing this behavior if he hadn't been caught? Those dogs aren't getting a second chance.
    Posted by Harleyroadking111[/QUOTE]

Harley, what you say is so true.  Vick, like Plax and other athletes, didn't think twice about what they were doing (how many times did Plax carry that gun when he went clubbing?) and did so without thinking of the consequences or even if the act was against the law, possibly.  Vick even initially lied about his involvement!!  Once caught, it is tuck the tail between the legs and beg for mercy, "I made a mistake".  A conscious decision to conduct oneself in an activity you know would have severe repercussions if caught, is not a "mistake"!!   

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Harleyroadking111. Show Harleyroadking111's posts

AGCSBill, This is the underlining problem to the Burress and Vick situations. They are sorry for being caught. Plex probably brought his gun to the clubs several times and it would not surprise me if he brought it the locker room. Both of these thugs would still be doing these behaviors if someone did not intervene, (and not knowing how handle a firearm). And both of these thugs need herds of "advisors" (Dungy) to keep them on the straight and narrow.....what does that say about their moral judgment.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from prairiemike. Show prairiemike's posts

bill brings up an interesting point, when he says that we know Vick didn't make a "mistake" -- that he was well aware of what he was doing and knew it was wrong. Would we respect Vick more if he came out and said, "Hey, I did what I did. I never expected to get caught. I paid the price. I won't do it again." ?

I would.

But in real life a guy in his position can't do that. We all know that he's full of sh!t, but he has to say all the right things and pretend to be sincere about his remorse (which doesn't exist) so he can be part of the money-making machine again. The fact that we are all winking along with him doesn't really matter. It's all well and good to rail and rant and rave and reconsider in a forum like this one, but not any of us -- for all our well-considered opinions -- not any of us will turn the NFL off because Vick is involved again. His athletic ability . . .  his entertainment value . . .  trumps his amoral, vile, reprehensible, disgusting actual persona and I think part of the reason some of us are so upset with him is because we know this, and it makes us a little mad at ourselves.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from bubthegrub2. Show bubthegrub2's posts

Great post there, Mike. Vick has to say the right things for PR reasons. I'm sure he's well coached before they let him talk to reporters. I'd respect him (a little...very little) if he came out and owned up to it. He should have done that at the start. I'm sure he would have done less time if he had. He wasn't even smart enough to know his "homeys" would roll on him as soon as they started talking years to them. Vick would have done the same had their positions been reversed, I believe. And you're right that none of us will boycott the "product" due to our dislike ( I hate to say hate) for the guy. In one light it makes us sound like sellouts. But I refuse to give up one of my favorite things because of some low life psychopathic a s s h o l e! So I'm not going to be mad at myself. I have an ex-wife, and several bosses at work who can do that...I don't need to contribute!

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from mosseffect43. Show mosseffect43's posts

In Response to WHAT SONGS AND THEMES THE EAGLES WONT B USING THIS YEAR THANKS TO THEIR MICHAEL VICK SITUATION?:
    [QUOTE]just wanted to b a bit light-hearted about a strongly passioned issue. i say u wont b hearing "who let the dogs out". or bring your dog to work day. 
    Posted by reg122[/QUOTE]

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9sLR0vgpeWI

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Harleyroadking111. Show Harleyroadking111's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: WHAT SONGS AND THEMES THE EAGLES WONT B USING THIS YEAR THANKS TO THEIR MICHAEL VICK SITUATION? : Your correct that Vick probably would have continued doing it if he hadn't got got. But he did, and unlike you, I believe he now understands that this type of behavior is not only unacceptable, but that this is his last chance to turn his life around. I respect your opinion that he's a thug, lacking any moral decency, but I believe he is remorseful and I know I'm in the minority, but I hope he can turn his life around and maybe do some good.
    Posted by Steelcurtain75[/QUOTE]

Steelcurtain, I admire your faith in the human being. I hope that I am wrong about Vick and you are right. But I feel that it's very hard to change core values/thinking thats been ingrained since childhood. Also I would like to say that you are class act for a steelers fan Cool

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from reg122. Show reg122's posts

look, had oj still been active and in his NFL prime, he would have had an opportunity at redemption! parcells would have signed him to go along with curtis martin and pats would have won the freakin super bowl! the worse thing that could have happened to vik, would have been to b retired or past his prime like steve mcnair was.. that would have been the final chapter. 

BTW, the other song that won b played at the vet this year is "BAD TO THE BONE{. cuts too close...

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from agcsbill. Show agcsbill's posts

Here is another point -

It seems most pro athletes will continue to act in ways most of us would not thinking that their position as a pro athlete will give them that "free pass".  How many average "joe's" can commit some of this stuff and be welcomed back with open arms into the employ of their chosen profession?  Look at all the spin doctors, like Vick has, to get them back into good graces with any pro football team.  I am certain there are some posters here who have had that unfortunate brush with the law.  When it came time to return to gainful employment, you didn't have a spin doctor to trumpet your return and that prospective employer didn't exactly look at you as a possible saviour for their company. How many average "joe's" went begging before finding a good job, whilst the pro athlete marches right into a job paying millions again!

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from carawaydj. Show carawaydj's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: WHAT SONGS AND THEMES THE EAGLES WONT B USING THIS YEAR THANKS TO THEIR MICHAEL VICK SITUATION? : he is not clueless. he now gets it. whether he is just pragmatically sorry rather than passionately or instinctively so really doesnt matter. as a top star he must stay away from it. thats the bottom line! u need a clue sir. how many white guys from history includg the foundg fathers and ronald reagan in the 60s and all the other blatant racist, sexist and homophobes in the 60s are reasonable minorities expected to forgive because they just grew up in a different culture and time? are blaks to grasp their perspective and emphatize? i say "yes" most blaks should get over it esp for those eho have repented and have "sinnned no more". likewise, its time to move on from vick! 
    Posted by reg122[/QUOTE]

I was ready to put down the wine and go to bed.  But then I read this post.  Now I will keep drinking until I understand what you just wrote.  How you masterfully linked Vick to our founding fathers is priceless.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from reg122. Show reg122's posts

[QUOTE]Here is another point - It seems most pro athletes will continue to act in ways most of us would not thinking that their position as a pro athlete will give them that "free pass".  How many average "joe's" can commit some of this stuff and be welcomed back with open arms into the employ of their chosen profession?  Look at all the spin doctors, like Vick has, to get them back into good graces with any pro football team.  I am certain there are some posters here who have had that unfortunate brush with the law.  When it came time to return to gainful employment, you didn't have a spin doctor to trumpet your return and that prospective employer didn't exactly look at you as a possible saviour for their company. How many average "joe's" went begging before finding a good job, whilst the pro athlete marches right into a job paying millions again!
    Posted by agcsbill[/QUOTE]hey, it is what it is. life is not fair! if a racial minoryt, u often have speicial negative issues when dealing with law enforcement or justice figures, if white male in certain circumstances u may have to deal with incidental reverse discrimination caused by aggressive affirmative action dynamics, if hot blonde chick u never have to get brains and can still live life of your dreams as compared to your average brunette or fat ugly gal.... i can go on and on to include the disabled and mentally handicapped but it is what it is and what it will b! life is not fair! life is not fair! life is not fair! as nonathletes, we should not put ourselves in certain positions. if big time athlete, we can and will get bailed out. huge stakes and not many can b elite at it. on other hand, we all get ours. when their career ends or the speed goes or injuries come, look how quickly MOST  of them get forgotten and have to learn from scratch about being an average joe. look at oj.. got away with killing his wife due largely to his celebrity. once eroded, he got totally snowjobbed like most average joes would on a charge your average celebrity in good graces simply pleads out to for probation! same with your plaxicos and pacmans and tysons. no clue how to function normally and they end up paying tragic consequences for that in so many ways that np average joe can phantom or ever will! do we lose a 100m when we goof up?

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from reg122. Show reg122's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: WHAT SONGS AND THEMES THE EAGLES WONT B USING THIS YEAR THANKS TO THEIR MICHAEL VICK SITUATION? : I was ready to put down the wine and go to bed.  But then I read this post.  Now I will keep drinking until I understand what you just wrote.  How you masterfully linked Vick to our founding fathers is priceless.
    Posted by carawaydj[/QUOTE]my point is that vick is NOW in a different time and culture which he clearly now grasps for a man of his stature and opportunites. as a pragmatic fact, most white guys never have to leave their backgrounds and cultures to make it  or to keep rising in this society since all the rules, values and morals come from them. as a poor southern blak male, one of the consequences which mr. vick unfortunately did not grasp early enough is that u do have have to become a DUNGY or colin powell brotha AFTER u make it to keep whitey off your case and to make him comfortable with your value system. i have no beef with that. most of the fans are white, most of the owners are white, most folks on this board i m sure are also,  and most of the sponsors paying the big cash are too. thus, a brotha must conform within those value perimeters if only on a PRAGMATIC  level! he is culturally playing all his games on others' turf. for most whites, all the games get played on their homecourt! for a vick and other such blacks, it is an AWAY game. dogfighting was and STILL is cool, like it or not, in the cultural environment in which vick was protected and nurtured. it is not in the one in which he gets PAID! pragmatically at least, the culture that pays u has to WIN! GOT IT NOW????????

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from bubthegrub2. Show bubthegrub2's posts

one of the consequences which mr. vick unfortunately did not grasp early enough is that u do have have to become a DUNGY or colin powell brotha AFTER u make it to keep whitey off your case and to make him comfortable with your value system.

This is a big load of horse s h i t and the reason there is so much tension between blacks and whites. The things Vick did were not an affront on white people, they were CRIMINAL ACTS! To excuse Vick from not comprehending that torturing another living being and making tons of illegal money running a gambling ring simply because he is a "poor southern black male" is insane! Financial status, skin color, and geographical location do not change right and wrong! I can show you millions of poor black people here in the south who will tell you these things are illegal and immoral! Your statement of "keep whitey off your case" in itself shows you to be a racist! This is the 21st century, not the 1880s! And to put all that aside, he has not been a "poor southern black man" in many years! His athletic abilities earned him a free ride at VT. So regardless of his upbringing, he had the opportunity for an education (something you certainly never managed to get judging by your spelling, grammar, and reading comprehension-or rather lack of it). The man had a $130 million dollar contract, plus probably a lot more in endorsements. To say that because he was born poor and black in the south that by this time he didn't realize making a fortune off illegal gambling (and not declaring the income to the IRS) was "wrong" makes you much more stupid than him! And though he was poor as a child, I'm sure he's been to church at some point. They clearly let you know there that killing is a sin! Give us a break with your racist c r a p! All he needed to do was follow the law, like anyone else, black, white, hispanic, or whatever! You are trying to claim a black man has to "change his life" to fit in with society. I'm not sure if you are truly that ignorant, or you are merely trolling. The guy f u c k e d up, knew all along what he was doing was wrong, and had consequences, yet continued anyway. He deserved all the jail time he got, and IMO he should be banned from the NFL. You trying to make excuses for him is ridiculous. You know what they say about excuses...everyone has one. And you seem to like talking out of yours!

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from bmartins16. Show bmartins16's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: WHAT SONGS AND THEMES THE EAGLES WONT B USING THIS YEAR THANKS TO THEIR MICHAEL VICK SITUATION? : Your correct that Vick probably would have continued doing it if he hadn't got got. But he did, and unlike you, I believe he now understands that this type of behavior is not only unacceptable, but that this is his last chance to turn his life around. I respect your opinion that he's a thug, lacking any moral decency, but I believe he is remorseful and I know I'm in the minority, but I hope he can turn his life around and maybe do some good.
    Posted by Steelcurtain75[/QUOTE]

Well put! 

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Harleyroadking111. Show Harleyroadking111's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: WHAT SONGS AND THEMES THE EAGLES WONT B USING THIS YEAR THANKS TO THEIR MICHAEL VICK SITUATION? : my point is that vick is NOW in a different time and culture which he clearly now grasps for a man of his stature and opportunites. as a pragmatic fact, most white guys never have to leave their backgrounds and cultures to make it  or to keep rising in this society since all the rules, values and morals come from them. as a poor southern blak male, one of the consequences which mr. vick unfortunately did not grasp early enough is that u do have have to become a DUNGY or colin powell brotha AFTER u make it to keep whitey off your case and to make him comfortable with your value system. i have no beef with that. most of the fans are white, most of the owners are white, most folks on this board i m sure are also,  and most of the sponsors paying the big cash are too. thus, a brotha must conform within those value perimeters if only on a PRAGMATIC  level! he is culturally playing all his games on others' turf. for most whites, all the games get played on their homecourt! for a vick and other such blacks, it is an AWAY game. dogfighting was and STILL is cool, like it or not, in the cultural environment in which vick was protected and nurtured. it is not in the one in which he gets PAID! pragmatically at least, the culture that pays u has to WIN! GOT IT NOW????????
    Posted by reg122[/QUOTE]

I'll keep this simple for you, You are a stupid person.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from reg122. Show reg122's posts

[QUOTE]one of the consequences which mr. vick unfortunately did not grasp early enough is that u do have have to become a DUNGY or colin powell brotha AFTER u make it to keep whitey off your case and to make him comfortable with your value system. This is a big load of horse s h i t and the reason there is so much tension between blacks and whites. The things Vick did were not an affront on white people, they were CRIMINAL ACTS! To excuse Vick from not comprehending that torturing another living being and making tons of illegal money running a gambling ring simply because he is a "poor southern black male" is insane! Financial status, skin color, and geographical location do not change right and wrong! I can show you millions of poor black people here in the south who will tell you these things are illegal and immoral! Your statement of "keep whitey off your case" in itself shows you to be a racist! This is the 21st century, not the 1880s! And to put all that aside, he has not been a "poor southern black man" in many years! His athletic abilities earned him a free ride at VT. So regardless of his upbringing, he had the opportunity for an education (something you certainly never managed to get judging by your spelling, grammar, and reading comprehension-or rather lack of it). The man had a $130 million dollar contract, plus probably a lot more in endorsements. To say that because he was born poor and black in the south that by this time he didn't realize making a fortune off illegal gambling (and not declaring the income to the IRS) was "wrong" makes you much more stupid than him! And though he was poor as a child, I'm sure he's been to church at some point. They clearly let you know there that killing is a sin! Give us a break with your racist c r a p! All he needed to do was follow the law, like anyone else, black, white, hispanic, or whatever! You are trying to claim a black man has to "change his life" to fit in with society. I'm not sure if you are truly that ignorant, or you are merely trolling. The guy f u c k e d up, knew all along what he was doing was wrong, and had consequences, yet continued anyway. He deserved all the jail time he got, and IMO he should be banned from the NFL. You trying to make excuses for him is ridiculous. You know what they say about excuses...everyone has one. And you seem to like talking out of yours!
    Posted by bubthegrub2[/QUOTE]HEY genius, who made it a crime in the first place? who decided that folks busted abusing cocaine get to go to cushy rehab facilities while those busted with crack get mandatory JAIL sentences? do u not get that those making the laws come from certain cultures, backgrounds and histories themselves? like it or not, most blaks and whites still are born and raised into segregated private bakgrounds. in time, this too will hopefully b corrected via more interracial marriages and intercultural exchanges at work and what not, but we clearly are not there at this PRESENT time. most abuse committed on animals by whites like the insane rodeo or running with the bulls nonsense simply isnt criminalized. it may be unethical and an affront to someone's god but noone goes to prison for it. only amoral stuff that traditionally seems to come from those from cultures with darker pigmentations seem to ever be CRIMINALIZED! got it? facts are facts. again, i love and think this country is on the right track but lets not be ignorant of history and the PRIVATE present! 

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from reg122. Show reg122's posts

[QUOTE]I believe he now understands that this type of behavior is not only unacceptable, but that this is his last chance to turn his life around. Maybe his comprehensive skills are less than you think. I found a link to a story that he was seen drinking in a bar and grill after his first practice in Philly. Part of his parole conditions are no drugs or alcohol. If this is true then either he is a lot more stupid than we think, or he feels he is "above the law". He doesn't even have the sense to hide it! Does he not realize that the media will be watching him like a hawk? Those guys love to find dirt on anyone so they can make a big soap opera out of it. his taste for Grey Goose may cook his own goose! http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2009/08/22/has-vick-already-violated-the-terms-of-his-reinstatement/
    Posted by bubthegrub2[/QUOTE]mr. bub, u have a point. i stand corrected. although u were misstaken about it being against his parole, the legal aspect or conditions of his reinstatement, it does show very poor judgment and a total lack of common sense on his part for vick to be out there publicly drinking any alcohol or just being around it.. period! hopefully, this is not a foreboding sign of more negative incidents to follow. dungy cant babysit him all the time. he has to be able to make these judgment calls on his own. i m not a vick apologist. was just interested in him gettg anotha chance. if he keeps going down this road, good riddance to him. u seem to b adamant in your prognastications that he will FAIL. i hope not. but maybe i will be proven wrong and u right. or vice versa. we shall c!

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from reg122. Show reg122's posts

assumg vick did have a glass of grey goose vodka and pineapple juice. is this not america? was he convicted and excessively punished and jailed over alcohol issues or dog-related ones? yes, i can understand prohibitions on his future pet ownership freedoms and rights or his being in the presence of dogs or other such animals. but alcohol is a LEGAL product. goodell has no right whatsoever putting in a ny clause restrictg vick's intake of said product. nor does any terms of his probation be allowed to contain such prohibitions. with all that cleared up, it is a clear sign of a bipolar or stupid mind for him to out there in full view of the public to be drinking any kind of alcohol. same goes with him attendg strip clubs, night clubs, bachelor parties and the like. appearances and percerptions do matter. he has too many haters, he should not be giving them any more ammo!or put another way: in a dog eat dog world, he should not b going out of his way to wear milkbone undies! 

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from bubthegrub2. Show bubthegrub2's posts

HEY genius, who made it a crime in the first place?
    most abuse committed on animals by whites like the insane rodeo or running with the bulls nonsense simply isnt criminalized.

You are obviously not up on the actual facts of the case. Vick went to jail for running an illegal gambling ring and interstate commerce NOT for the atrocious act he committed on the dogs! As far as I know these things are illegal whether you are black or white, rich or poor! Beside that, you are also choosing to ignore the fact that, regardless of what "culture" he was "born into", the man had a college education! It's not like he was some rube who had never been out of the woods. This excuse is as lame as thinking that what color you were born and how much money your family has makes any difference between right and wrong. There are still cannibals on some islands in the Pacific. If one were to move to the US and eat one of your children, would you have sympathy on him because of his birth situation? In any case, ignorance of the law is no excuse. He was born American, he needs to observe the laws of America!

mr. bub, u have a point. i stand corrected. although u were misstaken about it being against his parole, the legal aspect or conditions of his reinstatement, it does show very poor judgment and a total lack of common sense on his part for vick to be out there publicly drinking any alcohol or just being around it.. period!

It stated in the article that one of his conditions of parole was prohibition from drug and alcohol use. I don't have the document here, so I took the article for face value. Whether that is "fair" or not is not the issue. If it is truly a condition he broke his parole.

assumg vick did have a glass of grey goose vodka and pineapple juice. is this not america? was he convicted and excessively punished and jailed over alcohol issues or dog-related ones?

He was convicted for his operation of a gambling ring. But parole means letting you out early. As far as I know they can attach whatever restrictions they like on it. If he was upset about not being able to drink he could have turned down the parole and finished his sentence!

goodell has no right whatsoever putting in a ny clause restrictg vick's intake of said product. nor does any terms of his probation be allowed to contain such prohibitions.

Goodell is the commissioner. If, as he claims, it is a priveledge instead of a right to be in the league, I think Roger can put whatever restrictions he feels warranted on any player. As far as parole or probation, many people have alcohol and/or drug restrictions attached to it. That is up to the parole board or the judge issuing the probation. So your above statement is completely wrong.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from reg122. Show reg122's posts

[QUOTE]HEY genius, who made it a crime in the first place? most abuse committed on animals by whites like the insane rodeo or running with the bulls nonsense simply isnt criminalized. You are obviously not up on the actual facts of the case. Vick went to jail for running an illegal gambling ring and interstate commerce NOT for the atrocious act he committed on the dogs! As far as I know these things are illegal whether you are black or white, rich or poor! Beside that, you are also choosing to ignore the fact that, regardless of what "culture" he was "born into", the man had a college education! It's not like he was some rube who had never been out of the woods. This excuse is as lame as thinking that what color you were born and how much money your family has makes any difference between right and wrong. There are still cannibals on some islands in the Pacific. If one were to move to the US and eat one of your children, would you have sympathy on him because of his birth situation? In any case, ignorance of the law is no excuse. He was born American, he needs to observe the laws of America! mr. bub, u have a point. i stand corrected. although u were misstaken about it being against his parole, the legal aspect or conditions of his reinstatement, it does show very poor judgment and a total lack of common sense on his part for vick to be out there publicly drinking any alcohol or just being around it.. period! It stated in the article that one of his conditions of parole was prohibition from drug and alcohol use. I don't have the document here, so I took the article for face value. Whether that is "fair" or not is not the issue. If it is truly a condition he broke his parole. assumg vick did have a glass of grey goose vodka and pineapple juice. is this not america? was he convicted and excessively punished and jailed over alcohol issues or dog-related ones? He was convicted for his operation of a gambling ring. But parole means letting you out early. As far as I know they can attach whatever restrictions they like on it. If he was upset about not being able to drink he could have turned down the parole and finished his sentence! goodell has no right whatsoever putting in a ny clause restrictg vick's intake of said product. nor does any terms of his probation be allowed to contain such prohibitions. Goodell is the commissioner. If, as he claims, it is a priveledge instead of a right to be in the league, I think Roger can put whatever restrictions he feels warranted on any player. As far as parole or probation, many people have alcohol and/or drug restrictions attached to it. That is up to the parole board or the judge issuing the probation. So your above statement is completely wrong.
    Posted by bubthegrub2[/QUOTE]well, it is what is. u are right i had downplayed the gambling aspect. if igured that part was just secondary. guess its kind of like al capone being busted for income tax issues rather than the other stuff he actually did directly. i have a feeling that mr. vick did not exactly emphasize the student part of the phrase student-athlete.guess his best approach would have been to avoid this entire situation. i just do not like the piling on. its like an excuse for many to get their pounds of flesh and take away as many of his liberties as possible. reminds me a bit of the dante stallworth situatn. yes, he should have gone to prison a bit longer for being impaired and taking away a gentleman's life. but how can it be justified to take away his license for the rest of his life! its a first offense. i can understand even a 10 year suspension but again, i just see great governmental overreaching! goodell was righ to suspend him for a year. but again, if and when he comes back, he should not be forced to have more stringent goodell lifestyle rules to live up to. he should have his full freedoms like everyone else. if he messes up, goodell can take whatever punitive actions he want. the players' union should not give him that much discretionary power!

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from prairiemike. Show prairiemike's posts

-- "Beside that, you are also choosing to ignore the fact that, regardless of what "culture" he was "born into", the man had a college education!" --

Vick played quarterback at Virginia Tech. Whether or not he has a college education is probably open to interpretation.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from bubthegrub2. Show bubthegrub2's posts

[QUOTE]     -- "Beside that, you are also choosing to ignore the fact that, regardless of what "culture" he was "born into", the man had a college education!" -- Vick played quarterback at Virginia Tech. Whether or not he has a college education is probably open to interpretation.
    Posted by prairiemike[/QUOTE]

I'll certainly concede that point! But he had the opportunity for one, at least. Anthow, it's ridiculous to claim that simply because he was born black and poor that somehow he cannot comprehend right from wrong. That is a poor excuse for anything. He knew full well running a gambling ring was illegal, otherwise he would have advertized in the yellow pages, and declared his illicit income to the IRS! Just because something "happens" in your neighborhood does not mean you simply accept it as being either legal or moral. This was not the counterculture of the 60s thinking it's OK to get stoned and have orgies with the commune! It was an illegal business, and it involved torturing living beings. Whatever station in life you are born to you should know these things are wrong! I really don't know why I'm bothering to keep posting on these threads! It only gets me riled up. Personally, I hope Vick crashes and burns, and is cut and not re-signed anywhere. Then he'll only make the news the next time he's arrested! He certainly is not worth all the fuss being made of him.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from prairiemike. Show prairiemike's posts

Along the same lines you might consider that Vick's particular situation at university, that of being the BMOC, ensconced in the football program where he was set apart from the student body en masse and treated as a conquering hero -- you might accurately infer that his "college education" actually exacerbated the problem rather than alleviating it -- confirming his belief that he was above the law and that his actions would bring no consequences.

Don't get me wrong . . .   I have no interest in making excuses for Vick. But what he learned in the college environment should not be confused with what the average student learns (or does not learn) in a classroom.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from reg122. Show reg122's posts

[QUOTE]Along the same lines you might consider that Vick's particular situation at university, that of being the BMOC, ensconced in the football program where he was set apart from the student body en masse and treated as a conquering hero -- you might accurately infer that his "college education" actually exacerbated the problem rather than alleviating it -- confirming his belief that he was above the law and that his actions would bring no consequences. Don't get me wrong . . .   I have no interest in making excuses for Vick. But what he learned in the college environment should not be confused with what the average student learns (or does not learn) in a classroom.
    Posted by prairiemike[/QUOTE]i could not have stated that any better. we keep trying to project our ordinary selves into these guys' extraordinary existences esp on most of these college campuses. it helps to include looking  at things from their perspectives and not just ours before we form our absolute conclusions. its not necessarily an excuse but it provides empathy which leads to some compassion which leads to understandg which broadens our overall humanity! 

this reminds me a bit of when us commoners make moral self-righteous judgments about how we are loyal to our wives and girlfriends and would find it easy to not stray regardless of circumstances, unlike the immoral like kobe, shaq, roethlisberger, larry bird and so on. if most of us got to walk one day in those shoes with the hottest women of our wildest dreams are routinely giving u their underwear as u shop for groceries, giving u their fone number as u enter a restaurant, offer to give u a lube job in the bathroom of your choice when you go to a club and so on, then u would have a conclusion based on full facts and empathy!

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from carawaydj. Show carawaydj's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: WHAT SONGS AND THEMES THE EAGLES WONT B USING THIS YEAR THANKS TO THEIR MICHAEL VICK SITUATION? : if most of us got to walk one day in those shoes with the hottest women of our wildest dreams are routinely giving u their underwear as u shop for groceries, giving u their fone number as u enter a restaurant, offer to give u a lube job in the bathroom of your choice when you go to a club and so on
    Posted by reg122[/QUOTE]

What is your point?  This happens to me all of the time.Cool  Every time I get offered a lube job in the bathroom though, it's just BostonBobBlowsHard trying to earn money to see a Sox game.