What Tedy Bruschi thinks about Moss

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from csylvia79. Show csylvia79's posts

What Tedy Bruschi thinks about Moss

1. Responding to being sent home. Whenever you are disciplined by the coach, teammates will look to see how you respond. Last week, four players were sent home for being late to Wednesday's 8 a.m. meeting. Three of them showed their teammates they were with them, and one of them showed he wasn't. We know Randy Moss struggled all day Sunday; he caught just one ball and fumbled, and Chris Gamble had an interception in front of him. Gary Guyton had one tackle. Derrick Burgess had three tackles and one sack. But in a situation like this, it's not necessarily the stat line you're looking for if you are a teammate. What you're looking for is whether the player is with you or not. Three players turned it around and got back to work Thursday with the right attitude. Adalius Thomas showed with his comments that he wasn't willing to accept accountability, and that is why he was inactive and probably will be inactive for the rest of the year.

[+] EnlargeRandy Moss
    Greg M. Cooper/US PresswireRandy Moss lost a fumble following his only catch of the game.

2. Randy Moss follow-up. There is a difference between frustration and someone quitting on a team. I can speak only from the experience of being a teammate of Randy Moss -- he is the type of player I want to be my teammate, and I'm proud to say I was a teammate of Moss. He works hard, and he only wants to win. Yes, he got frustrated Sunday. You've seen frustration on every player's face before, but I think everyone looks a bit closer at Moss because of his history. As his teammate, I saw nothing but hard work and dedication from him.

3. Error repeater in the secondary. One thing you don't want to be labeled as is an error repeater. Coaches always tell players they can make mistakes, just not to be error repeaters. Safety Brandon Meriweather was an error repeater against the Panthers. On Steve Smith's 41-yard touchdown reception in the first quarter, some might have noticed the play looked familiar; it was very similar to what the New Orleans Saints ran against the Patriots when Robert Meachem caught a 38-yard touchdown. It was a post route with an over route from the other side of the field as the bait. Players have a saying for this: "Don't take the cheese." But Meriweather took the cheese and jumped the over route again. The job title is safety, which means last line of defense. In certain coverages, the safety is the only player in the deep middle of the field and has to stay there. This is a copycat league, and teams will keep trying this against the Patriots. It might have looked different, out of a different formation, but it's the same concept and the concepts have to be recognized as the play develops.

4. Small players, big hearts. At the beginning of the game, it seemed like players from both teams -- and fans -- were looking for someone to step up and show fight. It came from two of the smallest guys on the field -- Panthers receiver Steve Smith and Patriots receiver Wes Welker. Smith was his usual self, playing with intensity and effort. He had a holding call when he was blocking Leigh Bodden on one running play, but it was the type of holding call you take because he's driving him to the ground, being aggressive. When he got leveled by James Sanders, he quickly got back up to send a message and say, "I'm still standing here, still fighting; this is who I am." The leadership from Smith gave the Panthers the early 7-0 lead. On the Patriots' side, they were fortunate to have a little guy who was that much tougher in Welker. Nothing defined Welker more than when he was lit up by Charles Godfrey on second down in the third quarter, and he got right back up and caught a 13-yard pass on third-and-2. After the play, Welker went back to the huddle and was spitting up blood. That's the type of guy you want to battle with.

5. In a bottom-line business, it's all about the bottom line. This was an ugly game. The Patriots came out flat, and Matt Moore, the Panthers' quarterback, looked like he didn't know what he was doing at times. Sometimes, the Panthers couldn't even get lined up. It seemed like both teams were sort of searching for whether they wanted to play in the early stages of the game. The Patriots had three turnovers and gave up another big play in the passing game. But, in the end, none of that matters at this time of year. The only thing you want to know is, "Did we win the game? Did we have more points than the other team?" In December, it's going to be sloppy. It's ugly outside, and the weather can turn for the worse. Right now, the only thing that matters for the Patriots is whether they win the AFC East and hold on to their one-game lead. They got the job done.

Tedy Bruschi played 13 seasons for the New England Patriots and is a member of the franchise's 50th anniversary team. ESPNBoston.com Patriots reporter Mike Reiss contributed to this report.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from JDonalds75. Show JDonalds75's posts

Re: What Tedy Bruschi thinks about Moss

I thought it looked like Welker was spitting blood on TV, but wasn't sure. 

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Davedsone. Show Davedsone's posts

damn, wes.  dont get killed out there before the playoffs.  Tom-  stop trying to kill wes.  He is our only hope.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from unclealfie. Show unclealfie's posts

In Response to Re: What Tedy Bruschi thinks about Moss:
    I thought it looked like Welker was spitting blood on TV, but wasn't sure. 
    Posted by JDonalds75

Funny that bruski made these comments concerning welker. when I think of a patriot player on the sidelines spitting up blood, i picture it being bruski. I always thought he was the toughest guy on the field, even if he was one of the smallest in stature.

Welker has taken over that role now. We've seen him doing those types of things every week for a while now. Just tough as nails!

welker's the MAN!

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from southnpatsfan. Show southnpatsfan's posts

A coach can't ask for much more, I hope Bill has let him know this.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from K-max. Show K-max's posts

"3. Error repeater in the secondary. One thing you don't want to be labeled as is an error repeater. Coaches always tell players they can make mistakes, just not to be error repeaters. Safety Brandon Meriweather was an error repeater against the Panthers. On Steve Smith's 41-yard touchdown reception in the first quarter, some might have noticed the play looked familiar; it was very similar to what the New Orleans Saints ran against the Patriots when Robert Meachemcaught a 38-yard touchdown. It was a post route with an over route from the other side of the field as the bait. Players have a saying for this: "Don't take the cheese." But Meriweather took the cheese and jumped the over route again. The job title is safety, which means last line of defense. In certain coverages, the safety is the only player in the deep middle of the field and has to stay there. This is a copycat league, and teams will keep trying this against the Patriots. It might have looked different, out of a different formation, but it's the same concept and the concepts have to be recognized as the play develops."

There was some tool on another thread calling Brace a bust because the rookie (non 1st rounder) hasn't played much.

Meriweather is a guy that can't tackle (Mr. Whiff) and is obviously not a bright person.  He seems to always be out of position and is a First Round draft pick.  Just because your on the field doesn't mean your not a bust (Hobbs).

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from patsfaninsatx. Show patsfaninsatx's posts

I would like to see them take WW off of Punt return duties.  Bad enough he is the whole offense.  He seems non-productive returning anyways.  Give someone else a shot.  

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from FOWLER8196. Show FOWLER8196's posts

I would like to see them take WW off of Punt return duties.  Bad enough he is the whole offense.  He seems non-productive returning anyways.  Give someone else a shot.  
    Posted by patsfaninsatx

hes second in the league in punt returns behind phillys desean jackson.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from beantownah. Show beantownah's posts

Makes a lot more sense than anything else I've read about the Patriots the last couple of weeks.  They just have to grind it out the next three weeks and see if they can catch some magic.  The last two Super Bowl Winners - The Steelers and Giants hardly looked like world-beaters during the regular season.  I'm not saying we're going to win it, or that it will look pretty, but we can't give up all hope.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from carawaydj. Show carawaydj's posts

Makes a lot more sense than anything else I've read about the Patriots the last couple of weeks.  They just have to grind it out the next three weeks and see if they can catch some magic.  The last two Super Bowl Winners - The Steelers and Giants hardly looked like world-beaters during the regular season.  I'm not saying we're going to win it, or that it will look pretty, but we can't give up all hope.
    Posted by beantownah

We definitely can't give up hope.  Anything is possible in the playoffs, and we aren't as bad as some would like us to be.  Despite our woes, only one team handily beat us this year.  We were barely beat in the other 4 losses.  A small improvement anywhere can change that.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from BTownExpress. Show BTownExpress's posts

Brilliant commentary (by Tedy); post.  How come he isn't coaching with the Pats?  Surely, his insight and inspiration is very valuable to the team?

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from csylvia79. Show csylvia79's posts

Brilliant commentary (by Tedy); post.  How come he isn't coaching with the Pats?  Surely, his insight and inspiration is very valuable to the team?
    Posted by BTownExpress

It would be nice to have him as our linebacker coach at the least.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from JDonalds75. Show JDonalds75's posts

I think Bruschi wants time with family, which coaching would not afford, especially given his past health history.  Not that he's going to expire soon and ought to get his bucket list ready, but I'm sure that he figured retirement meant a change in priorities.  Commentating every few days has got to feel like paid vacation.

He'll get the itch sooner or later though.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from ronf. Show ronf's posts

I'd love to see Belichick bring in a couple of former players as assistant coaches!
    Teddy would be great. Troy Brown would be a good WR's coach. 

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from underdoggg. Show underdoggg's posts

In Response to Re: What Tedy Bruschi thinks about Moss : Funny that bruski made these comments concerning welker. when I think of a patriot player on the sidelines spitting up blood, i picture it being bruski. I always thought he was the toughest guy on the field, even if he was one of the smallest in stature. Welker has taken over that role now. We've seen him doing those types of things every week for a while now. Just tough as nails! welker's the MAN!
    Posted by unclealfie

I mean this with all sincerity.  You don't want your toughest guy spitting up blood.  If he was, for his sake, I hope it is his last time.  He didn't need to do that to prove his toughness. 

As an outsider (me), given the excellence of your QB, there is not a better receiver combination in the NFL (and no Larry Fitz and Anquan Boldin are not a better combo) than Welker and Moss.  I hear all of these things about needing a 3rd receiver and I don't get it.  As a 3rd, imo, all you need is a guy that can generally run routes and catch balls and this can be your tight end and based on things I've seen this year, both Aiken and Watson have done well.   

But, (imo) if Welker, as tough as he is, really was spitting blood, you cannot let this happen.  This is a first class ticket to the permanent NFL infirmary.  This is a QB and OC issue.  The OC can't run plays that always set up Welker to get crunched and the QB (as reliant as Brady is on Welker) sometimes has to look off welker to another option in order to save his receiver. 

I am saying all of this without seeing the game.  If I am wrong, ignore the post.  I am just commenting on some things I have read.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from carawaydj. Show carawaydj's posts

I'd love to see Belichick bring in a couple of former players as assistant coaches! Teddy would be great. Troy Brown would be a good WR's coach. 
    Posted by RonF

Yes and Yes.

That said, playing well doesn't always translate to coaching well.  It's probably a 50/50 hit/miss.  I'd still like to give them a shot though.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsRfineIn09. Show PatsRfineIn09's posts

In Response to Re: What Tedy Bruschi thinks about Moss : I mean this with all sincerity.  You don't want your toughest guy spitting up blood.  If he was, for his sake, I hope it is his last time.  He didn't need to do that to prove his toughness.  As an outsider (me), given the excellence of your QB, there is not a better receiver combination in the NFL (and no Larry Fitz and Anquan Boldin are not a better combo) than Welker and Moss.  I hear all of these things about needing a 3rd receiver and I don't get it.  As a 3rd, imo, all you need is a guy that can generally run routes and catch balls and this can be your tight end and based on things I've seen this year, both Aiken and Watson have done well.    But, (imo) if Welker, as tough as he is, really was spitting blood, you cannot let this happen.  This is a first class ticket to the permanent NFL infirmary.  This is a QB and OC issue.  The OC can't run plays that always set up Welker to get crunched and the QB (as reliant as Brady is on Welker) sometimes has to look off welker to another option in order to save his receiver.  I am saying all of this without seeing the game.  If I am wrong, ignore the post.  I am just commenting on some things I have read.
    Posted by underdoggg

Yes, the OC by committee is not working and a big reason why the Pats are not 10-2 right now, despite a bad defense. Also, Brady has 11 ints and most of those are to Moss in double and triple coverage. Brady needs to go back to his roots, his success was always because he would throw to the open receiver. He has also thrown a lot to a double covered Welker hence the shots Wes takes.

Sections
Shortcuts