What The Jimmy G Deal Means

1. This post has been removed.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

Re: What The Jimmy G Deal Means

In response to DougIrwin's comment:

Mickey Loomis and the Saints pulled this with Evans at Guard in 2010 and now they've done it again with this bloated signing of Jimmy Graham, simply because Loomis had no leverage, Brees was mouthing off in the press, etc.  By not re-upping Graham earlier like BB did with Gronk, it moves the TE market up.

Thanks again to BB.  BB never caves in or makes the mistake of not seeing a surging market.  The lone time he did cave was with Mankins, but his teambuilding approach is so good with the draft, cultivating in-house youth and signing FAs strategically to help in small ways with a flat cap, he's the only GM who has really avoided disaster or the pitfalls of what this new lockout really did.

A team like NOs or SF may not feel the sting in 2014, but they will in 2015 and beyond, even with the cap going up.

Graham is not better than Gronk, mainly because he's not a good blocker while Gronk is the best in the game at blocking as well as receiving at the position but he's now being paid as if he is the best offering the skill set of both receiving and blocking.

My main point here is to watch how the Saints, the 49ers with Vernon Davis (they'd be wise to let him walk after 2014), and Julius Jones will all sabotage their teams simply because of one GM's moronic handling of a contract situation by ditching any leverage he had.  If SF caves with Davis like Loomis just had to with Graham, it will absolutely affect other parts of their roster in the future. 

Other teams that need to watch out are teams like Cleveland with the up and coming Cameron or Miami with Clay. Cameron is a FA after 2014, and by not quickly re-upping him into 2013's season, Cleveland is now at the mercy of Mickey Loomis being a moron. 

If you are sold on the player, plan early to pay and don't wait.  Pay on the way up, not on the way down.

Good or great GMs see these things and execute with well structured deals, before they get out of hand from a personnel management standpoint.

Discuss:

thanks TB

3. This post has been removed.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

the last time you thought you understood the cap, I bludgeoned you on our Jets bet

5. This post has been removed.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

I guess I wouldn't go bragging about our tight end situation seeing how we totaled 90 million in contracts to Gronk and Hernandez...neither of which has played a meaningful snap in two years. 

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

In response to mthurl's comment:

I guess I wouldn't go bragging about our tight end situation seeing how we totaled 90 million in contracts to Gronk and Hernandez...neither of which has played a meaningful snap in two years. 

if Gronk is not cut after this year and plays next, isnt Grahams deal better than Gronks?

8. This post has been removed.

9. This post has been removed.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

In response to rkarp's comment:

if Gronk is not cut after this year and plays next, isnt Grahams deal better than Gronks?

Do you two drink from the same bottle?  My god are you two dumb.

Do you realize Witten is paid more than Gronk?  Jerry Jones and the Cowboys are also morons who don't have a clue what the word "leverage" means.

if the Pats pick up his option after 15, Gronk has the highest contract ever awarded a TE..more the Graham and Witten

btw, Pats can abosrb the Gronk and Hern contracts because TB renegotiated under market

Thanks TB

11. This post has been removed.

12. This post has been removed.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

Gronk averages 9 million a year, Hernandez averaged 8, Graham will now average 10.

Graham though actually plays.

Graham, though drafted with Hern and Gronk, cost significantly less in 2012 and 2013.

According to sootrac, Graham's cap hit this season will be 4 million, compared with 5.4 for Gronk.

We'll have to see the actual structure of the deal, but so far Saints are probably feeling better than the Pats about their TE and what they've spent so far and what they will have to spend going forward.

14. This post has been removed.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

Do you realize Witten is paid more than Gronk?  Jerry Jones and the Cowboys are also morons who don't have a clue what the word "leverage" means.

if the Pats pick up his option after 15, Gronk has the highest contract ever awarded a TE..more the Graham and Witten

Umm, is Gronk superior to that of Graham and Witten?

Answer: YES

My god are you dumb.  Again, Witten and Graham are overpaid.  Up next will be VErnon Davis, Julius Jones, Cameron and Clay.

Why? Leverage.

You just don't get simple business concepts, but you want to make it seem like you do.

the correct answer is: yes, if he can stay on the field. so ar, he hasn't.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

btw, Pats can abosrb the Gronk and Hern contracts because TB renegotiated under market

Thanks TB

False.  Gronk and Hern re-upped prior to Brady taking the extension after 2012 and pushing the money out.

Do you ever get anything right?

Your feverish and immediate retorts in here without making one valid point shows your insecurity and efforts to destroy my thread, as I show you up once more.

If your buddy Balkke resigns Vernon Davis to a deal like Graham's, it will be the end of him in SF. You heard it here first.

are you really this dumb? gronks deal was structured for him to get paid after TB restructured.

you are really cap saavy, huh?

tears

17. This post has been removed.

18. This post has been removed.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from pezz4pats. Show pezz4pats's posts

Tom Brady was the highest paid QB in 2011 and 2012, which really hamstrung the team off the lockout in a flat cap.

No "thanks TB" at all.

Also, your lack of a counter with my understanding of the NFL market, speaks volumes.  Nighty night, RKrap.

[object HTMLDivElement]

Lie of all lies!!!!!

You have no freaken idea what he made.

And if he EVER did hamstring the team (which he hasn't) IT WOULD BE BELLIDICKS FAULT!

20. This post has been removed.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from m. a. pat. Show m. a. pat's posts

Another thread detailing how stupid other team's managements are and how brilliant BB is. Who would have guessed?

On the Pats' roster one could easily look at Mankins' contract and wonder what BB was thinking. Our guard has a cap # of 10.5 mil this year and 11 mil next year.

It's the way professional sports works and once a player performs at a high level they want to get paid. If current players such as Chandler Jones, Solder or even a second year player such as Jamie Collins keep improving, the Pats will have to pay through the nose to keep these guys. It's either pay 'em or let 'em walk.

It'll be interesting to see if the Pats can get McCourty's signature on a contract soon and if so at what price.

22. This post has been removed.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from pezz4pats. Show pezz4pats's posts

In response to pezz4pats' comment:

Tom Brady was the highest paid QB in 2011 and 2012, which really hamstrung the team off the lockout in a flat cap.

No "thanks TB" at all.

Also, your lack of a counter with my understanding of the NFL market, speaks volumes.  Nighty night, RKrap.

[object HTMLDivElement]

Lie of all lies!!!!!

You have no freaken idea what he made.

And if he EVER did hamstring the team (which he hasn't) IT WOULD BE BELLIDICKS FAULT!

Did you just call him "Bellidick"?  There is no way you were a fan pre Kraft era. NO WAY

Do you know who Dick McPherson is?  lol

Yes, Brady was overpaid with the highest QB deal in history in 2011.  Leave it to you, Giselle, to claim he wasn't.

[object HTMLDivElement]

Wrong, liar,  What was his cap hit that hand cuffed the team?  Go ahead enlighten us.  BWAHAHA

And ya I called him bellidick.  Do you think you're the only one who can assign names to people?

I would think you would love it since you don't like chicks and prefer the other.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from m. a. pat. Show m. a. pat's posts

In response to m. a. pat's comment:

Another thread detailing how stupid other team's managements are and how brilliant BB is. Who would have guessed?

On the Pats' roster one could easily look at Mankins' contract and wonder what BB was thinking. Our guard has a cap # of 10.5 mil this year and 11 mil next year.

It's the way professional sports works and once a player performs at a high level they want to get paid. If current players such as Chandler Jones, Solder or even a second year player such as Jamie Collins keep improving, the Pats will have to pay through the nose to keep these guys. It's either pay 'em or let 'em walk.

It'll be interesting to see if the Pats can get McCourty's signature on a contract soon and if so at what price.

I already mentioned Mankins. Are you blind?

Did you also miss where I said BB's teambuilding consistency is so superior, that a bloated deal like that doesn't hamper the quality of the overall roster long term?

Please learn to read.

Are you aware the Giants are set to miss the postseason for the 3rd year in a row or Baltimore for the 2nd?  How is Pitt looking these days? Do you think that is only due to poor drafting? Nope.

One injury and a team like the Saints could literally miss the playoffs with no depth and a thin roster after 2014 or maybe even this year in that division.  Denver is in the same boat in 2015 if they give Julius Jones a Graham deal for a one trick pony TE.

My bad! I hardly ever read your posts from beginning to end. It's not a reading problem but a not enough time in the day issue to see the same theme regurgitated throughout all your posts.

I'll pay more attention next time Doug. Not blind or illiterate but thanks all the same!

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

Gronk healthy is the best TE in the league.  Graham, though, has been more reliable and, as a receiver at least, nearly as good. I just don't see any problem with the Saints' move.  In fact, given Gronk's repeated injuries, it's arguable that Graham is the better guy to have on your team. 

Sections
Shortcuts