What to do with Vince in an uncapped 2010

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from RahZid. Show RahZid's posts

What to do with Vince in an uncapped 2010

Unless I'm mistaken, if 2010 is an uncapped year Wilfork will only be an RFA.  What should the Pats do to keep him around for the season, or should they make a trade?

I can't imagine that Vince would be happy making only $2.562 million (the tender amount for 1st and 3rd round compensation) and it's entirely possible that he may hold under under this circumstance.  That being said, Vince is an integral part of the defensive line that is really irreplaceable (unless Brace shows he can be productive at some point this season). 

For starters, I believe the Pats should tender him at the 1st and 3rd level, but would they be better off working a trade and receiving quality picks in return for a player they may have expected to lose after this season anyway?  The Pats could potentially get 2 first rounders for Wilfork, or at least a 1st and a 2nd.

Another alternative is offering Vince a long term deal.  Entering the 2009 season there was alot of talk about who will they keep, Seymour or Vince.  That seems to have been settled with the somewhat ugly break up of the Pats and Seymour.  Could the money that Vince would be tying up (possibly $80M+) be better used elsewhere?  Would it disrupt the entire team salary structure and uproot the Patriot way?  I for one don't believe that any player in football is worth that much money because I feel it handicaps the team too much, what what do all of you think?

Anyway, there's something to think of during this Bye week

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from jbolted. Show jbolted's posts

Re: What to do with Vince in an uncapped 2010

Wilfork, next to Tom, is the most important player on that team IMO. 

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from RahZid. Show RahZid's posts

My top 3 most important players on the team go Brady, Wilfork, Mayo.  That being said I don't know if Wilfork will be willing to take a home town discount to stay in New England and I'm not sure the ramifications of handing out a monster Haynsworth type of contract are worth it.  In no way am I trying to belittle what Wilfork means to this team.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from MordecaiBloodmoon. Show MordecaiBloodmoon's posts

Wilfork is the center piece of our D at this time.  If he is truly reasonable, we need to keep him.  If he wants to set a record for the pay day, then let him go.  I know he has stated he isnt looking for a record pay day, but who knows behind the scenes. 

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from garytx. Show garytx's posts

We have said goodbye to other players who have asked for too much.  I agree with everyone here on the need but if he wants the farm he'll be getting it from someone else.  The Pats don't break the bank for any player. 

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from flasox. Show flasox's posts

Pats either sign Vince long term or franchise him.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from ewhite1065. Show ewhite1065's posts

In Response to Re: What to do with Vince in an uncapped 2010:
    [QUOTE]Pats either sign Vince long term or franchise him.
    Posted by flasox[/QUOTE]

I'm with you Flasox. It's actually an easy business decision. Plus in the Uncapped year NFL teams have the right to franchise or transition 2 players so there is absolutely no chance that Vince is going anywhere. At least to this point I haven't seen a team that was willing to part with 2 #1 draft choices to grab a franchise player. Here is a link to a John Clayton Q&A addressing this issue.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/columns/story?columnist=clayton_john&id=4240671

Yeah, I know..I hate Clayton too but occasionally he has something pertinent to say.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from MaritimePatsFan. Show MaritimePatsFan's posts

Franchise and move him to a team like Cleveland. I know Bill and the Mangina don't do trades with one another. Having said that Mangini would love him, we would get top quality picks and then the Browns would have to pay him too much money and be handicapped anyway. So it would be like a peace offering with Bill secretly knifing Mangini in the back. I think it works out great.

This trade works because Browns organization is not happy with Shaun Rogers, their current NT.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from RahZid. Show RahZid's posts

My bad, Wilfork misses RFA status by a season in an uncapped year, so yeah that would simplify things a bit.  Especially with the 2 franchise tags.

Sections
Shortcuts