What was your favorite Pats team?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from jaytf25. Show jaytf25's posts

Re: What was your favorite Pats team?

In Response to Re: What was your favorite Pats team?:
    [QUOTE]Probably 2001.
    Posted by russgriswold[/QUOTE]

Yes so unexpected. 5-5 then no losses. And to think it all started with a loss to the Rams to spark them

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from CablesWyndBairn. Show CablesWyndBairn's posts

2001, without question.  They were underdogs, a collection of cast offs & under the radar players who smacked the Rams in the mouth and imposed their will on a great offensive team. 

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from jcour382. Show jcour382's posts

my favorite team is the 86 superbowl team all those guys were gettin near the end of their careers.... back in those days i used to go to bryant every year... i met dante scarnechia and he would see me so much he thought he new me better than he really did...  also I remember when they drafted nellie i used to yell to him through the fences down there at bryant and he would look and smile... met him outside foxboro with my son once and he was the nicest guy...  grogan, hannah, cunningham.....tippett..stanley morgan. we had some great players and
    I thought berry was a good coach but he was no bill b we had a lot of transition of coaches in those days...

I was in the service at the time of the SB and there was this dude from chicago...me and him talked smack back and forth all the time... obviously we got crushed but he was very cool after and magmanimus about the drubbing ....never gloated or anything... of course he probably was treading lightly for his own safety's sake... 

I have actually followed the team since the early/mid 70's we used to go to all the games and jump the fence on the south side of shaeffer during the national anthem...  security was brutal if they caught you...but in those days you didnt need a seat to enjoy the game and you couldnt beat the price...

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Davedsone. Show Davedsone's posts

2003.  "Washed up" Rodney Harrison, nobody STILL thought we were anything but a fluke, and we just handled people.  Going 14-2. Epic playoff games, and my favorite Superbowl of the bunch, so many amazing moments.  So much drama with losing to the Bills 31-0 opening game, then the bookend 31-0 win over them to end the season. The Denver game. The squeaker over Indy regular season.   Beating Tennessee in the 4 below zero game, then wiping Indy in the AFC Championship.  WoooHOOOO!

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from ewhite1065. Show ewhite1065's posts

I know they didn't win a Superbowl but I think my Favorite Pats team of all time was the 1976 team. I was only 11 but they were gods to me back then. That was also a pretty talented team all the way around.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from digger0862. Show digger0862's posts

[QUOTE]I know they didn't win a Superbowl but I think my Favorite Pats team of all time was the 1976 team. I was only 11 but they were gods to me back then. That was also a pretty talented team all the way around.
    Posted by ewhite1065[/QUOTE]
    That was the team for me as well. I was 14.

It was our 1st winning season in ten years.

The Raiders won the super bowl that year but we gave them their only loss of the season 48-17, and in the playoffs we lost on a controversial rouging the passer(Stabler) penalty on Ray Hamilton on a drive late in that game. It was 11 years before that official was allowed to do another game involving the Patriots.

That team was loaded with Steve Grogan, Sam Cunningham, Darryl Stingley, Randy Vataha, Russ Francis, John Hannah, Julius Adams, Ray Hamilton, Steve Nelson, Mike Haynes, John Smith among others.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from LittleLazJunior. Show LittleLazJunior's posts

Hello Every blondie, well after much thought and consideration, my favorite pats team would be the Patriots

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Tcal2. Show Tcal2's posts

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsRfineIn09. Show PatsRfineIn09's posts

2001- snow game, at pitt and beat TGSOT, shocked the world
    2004-beat indy, pitt and philly, 3 SB's in 4 years
    2003-started a 21 game win streak, beat indy, tenn and carolina
    1976-best running game ever, screwed by dreith
    2007-the 18 wins, many dominant, ended bad but can't overlook the year
    2008-11 wins with Cassel
    2006-the sd playoff win
    1996-beat pitt in the fog, beat jville
    1985-beat jets, miami, oakland
    2010- i am expecting big things with our D

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from seattlepat70. Show seattlepat70's posts

can't decide between 2001 and 2003.

2001 was the surprise that beat the greatest show on turf.
    2003 was the validation that the bunch of castoffs were not only good...they were really really good

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

Nice thread. To me it's the 2001 team, they were so zoned into what they needed to do and played together as a team. They weren't the most talented and to me they beat some of the better teams out there at the time to win it all  ( Raiders, Steelers, Rams). That Ram team was one of the best teams around and we just man handled them like I've never seen and probably won't again. They also out physicaled the most physical team on the road (steelers) and beat a very well rounded and experienced team with a little luck too (Raiders).

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from jaytf25. Show jaytf25's posts

[QUOTE]That was the team for me as well. I was 14. It was our 1st winning season in ten years. The Raiders won the super bowl that year but we gave them their only loss of the season 48-17, and in the playoffs we lost on a controversial rouging the passer(Stabler) penalty on Ray Hamilton on a drive late in that game. It was 11 years before that official was allowed to do another game involving the Patriots. That team was loaded with Steve Grogan, Sam Cunningham, Darryl Stingley, Randy Vataha, Russ Francis, John Hannah, Julius Adams, Ray Hamilton, Steve Nelson, Mike Haynes, John Smith among others.
    Posted by digger0862[/QUOTE]
    Yes....Damn Beb Drieth.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from jaytf25. Show jaytf25's posts

[QUOTE]1964
    Posted by Tcal2[/QUOTE]

Fun team. Missed the playoffs by one game but just couldn't beat the Bills in Fenway. 10-3-1. As did the 66 team with Jim Nance. They missed the playoffs by one game 8-4-2. Had they beaten the Jets the last game of the year they would have hosted the Chiefs for the AFL title game and a chance to go to the first Super Bowl. They alternated home field then so even though the Chiefs had the better record (10-3-1) the AFL East was to host the title game as they would have in 64 against the Chargers. They beat the Chiefs that year(66) in the regular season so maybe they would have given them a better game then the Bills did.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from NOISE. Show NOISE's posts

Has to be 2001 - First Superbowl EVA - and I was there.  Something I'll never forget !

1996 was fun too - cuz, that was sorta of the 'hey, we can do this superbowl thing too!'

1986 - was amazing b/c of the 3 wins in a row on road (in playoffs!)...

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from breezer827. Show breezer827's posts

1.) They were underdogs and no one saw this come but us fans. I loved how they became the first team 2 run on the field as one. This team has the american flag as their colors and that was special that year b/c of 9/11.

2.) It was that start of many good things to come for this team.Laughing

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from p-mike. Show p-mike's posts

I'm torn between the 1976 team and the 1985 team. Even now, after all the success, I still think of the AFC Championship win in Miami as the biggest win in the team's history. Eradicating decades of Miami dominance in that game remains the sweetest moment, for me.

(I know that's silly, but that's how I feel)

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from oklahomapatriot. Show oklahomapatriot's posts

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from p-mike. Show p-mike's posts

Russ --

I remember the Raiders and their fans griping after the Pats kicked their backsides and saying how we'd never get by Miami. That whole "Squish the Fish" thing was kind of retarded, but the emotional roller coaster of that Championship Game still holds up for me, even against the Super Bowls.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from mannyortez3424. Show mannyortez3424's posts

I know I'm gonna sound like an idiot for this one but the 2007 Pats have to be up there for me looking back on it...

Best team I've ever seen play in any sport...

Unbelievably entertaining every Sunday...sometimes I just shook my head and laughed in disbelief...

The craziest part to me was how much time Brady had in the pocket like every snap and how many times they punted total on the season...

And all the records...

1. 2001 Pats
    2. 2007 Pats

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from digger0862. Show digger0862's posts

The '07 team was our best for sure, giving them the distinction of "Best team ever not to win a superbowl."

We're in good company, though. Jack Lambert said his 1976 Steeler team was better than the super bowl winning teams. The '98 Vikings went 15-1. The '04 Steelers went 15-1. The '05 Colts were 14-2. The '92 49ers 14-2. The '98 Falcons 14-2. The '83 Redskins 14-2. The '84 Dolphins 14-2. The '90 Bills 13-3. The '94 Cowboys 12-4.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Wizardsjag. Show Wizardsjag's posts

2001 followed closely by 2003.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from jaytf25. Show jaytf25's posts

[QUOTE]I'm torn between the 1976 team and the 1985 team. Even now, after all the success, I still think of the AFC Championship win in Miami as the biggest win in the team's history. Eradicating decades of Miami dominance in that game remains the sweetest moment, for me. (I know that's silly, but that's how I feel)
    Posted by p-mike[/QUOTE]
    Amen. I always said the "squish the fish" game in  Miami was the biggest up until super Bowl 36. I say SB 36 no. 1 and the 85 title game 1A. We hadn't beaten the Fins in Miami since 1969. And they usually beat us in the reg. season. We knew the Bears were going to beat us so that was our Super Bowl. The NFC always won from 85-97. This friend of mine still insists that the Dolphins would have given the Bears a better game because they beat them in the reg. season. BS. He claims Dikta and Buddy Ryan said they feared them again. The Bears would have gone over the game films and adjusted the Fins easily. That game never gets mentioned in the top 5 or top 10 in Boston greatestsports history moments. To me that game is 4 or 5 on the list only falling behind the Sox first WS, The first Super Bowl win and the Comeback over the Yanks in 04, and maybe Bobby Orr's goal to win the Stanly Cup. No lower then 5 or 6.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from jaytf25. Show jaytf25's posts

[QUOTE]The '07 team was our best for sure, giving them the distinction of "Best team ever not to win a superbowl." We're in good company, though. Jack Lambert said his 1976 Steeler team was better than the super bowl winning teams. The '98 Vikings went 15-1. The '04 Steelers went 15-1. The '05 Colts were 14-2. The '92 49ers 14-2. The '98 Falcons 14-2. The '83 Redskins 14-2. The '84 Dolphins 14-2. The '90 Bills 13-3. The '94 Cowboys 12-4.
    Lynn Swann  said that also about the 76 team.  The 84 Dolphins really had no D and played the 15-1 49ers. Maybe the Best 49er team even though Jerry Rice wasn't on it. They kicked butt. And what a D. I think the 07 Pats is one of the 3 best teams in Boston sports history next to the Bruins of 71 and the Celtics of 86. And only one of those teams won a title. One of the greatest Celtics teams, 72-73 was 68-14 but lost to the Knicks because Hondo was hurt. The best team doesn't always win. The 72 Bruins were great but not quite as great as the 71 team.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsRfineIn09. Show PatsRfineIn09's posts

[QUOTE]The '07 team was our best for sure, giving them the distinction of "Best team ever not to win a superbowl." We're in good company, though. Jack Lambert said his 1976 Steeler team was better than the super bowl winning teams. The '98 Vikings went 15-1. The '04 Steelers went 15-1. The '05 Colts were 14-2. The '92 49ers 14-2. The '98 Falcons 14-2. The '83 Redskins 14-2. The '84 Dolphins 14-2. The '90 Bills 13-3. The '94 Cowboys 12-4.

Don't forget the 2009 Colts, who were 14-2 but should have been 16-0.

hehehe

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from ewhite1065. Show ewhite1065's posts

[QUOTE]Russ -- I remember the Raiders and their fans griping after the Pats kicked their backsides and saying how we'd never get by Miami. That whole "Squish the Fish" thing was kind of retarded, but the emotional roller coaster of that Championship Game still holds up for me, even against the Super Bowls.
    Posted by p-mike[/QUOTE]

P-Mike- One of the most memorable moments  for me was Brian Holloway in the Locker room after the Raiders saying, "We're going to MIami, Proud and Pl$$ed off.
    Great Playoff run that year. That's for sure.

Sections
Shortcuts