What we need from Aqib Talib...

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

Re: What we need from Aqib Talib...

In response to mthurl's comment:
    [QUOTE]

I would start with a pulse - does he have one of those? Then I would check to see if has a brain...perhaps a MRI or cat scan. If he has both, he is miles ahead of our current defensive backfield. I think these tests should become mandatory when we draft or sign defensive backs going forward. 

[/QUOTE]

oh my g-d1 laughing my ---- off!

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

In response to FrnkBnhm's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to rkarp's comment:
    [QUOTE]

I would like to see the Pats play press man to man with Mcourty covering the opposing teams #1 WR all over the field, and with Talib covering the 2nd WR. I prefer Dennard in the nickle and either Arrington or Cole in the dime.

I have been a critic of Gregory, but he has only played in a handful of games in this defense. I would like to see Gregory and Chung/Wilson at S and see what this defensive backfield can do over the next 7 games.

Against a run heavy opposition (Houston, Jets) I prefer the Pats in a 3/4 aligment, rather than have a Safety in the box.

The Pats have the coaches to coach these varying defenses, and the players to plug in (if healthy)...they simply need better execution

[/QUOTE]

This is the only part that I really do not agree with. Their defensive coaches (Patricia, Boyer and Flores) have not shown they know how to coach any defense...

[/QUOTE]

absolutley, however bb gives them their coaching. boyer came from a terrible naia school (hc) and was pitiful on defense in that league

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Muzwell. Show Muzwell's posts

In response to rkarp's comment:
    [QUOTE]

lets also keep it in perspective. Tampa Bay, who argueably is still fighting for a playoff position (at least they are not mathmatically eliminated yet) is letting go a CB for a low (presumably) 4th round draft choice rather than keep him on the team for 7 more games.

Is this because he is such a distraction to the team? Or is because he is not that great a CB?

[/QUOTE]

It's both. His act had become tired. Too many screwups, missed games, suspensions, uneven play. Million dollar body, ten cent head.  He can play and will flash all-pro skills, then he'll disappear. Properly motivated and at his best, he's a top tier CB. Only then, sometimes...he's not. 

Schiano came to town as the new general ready to clean house, his way or the highway. Most guys were happy to have a job after last year, so they responded.  Some (like Kellen Winslow, a few others) were used to the Raheem approach, and were gone quick.  

There was a lot of talk about dumping Talib in the offseason, but he's a former first round pick with a lot of ability, so Schiano held his nose and kept him around. I think he'd have survived the season had BB not come calling, but no way would he have re-signed in Tampa, so they got what they could. I can tell you, not many folks in Tampa are upset to see him go and most are happy to get what they did.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsLifer. Show PatsLifer's posts

In response to TripleOG's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to TFB12's comment:
    [QUOTE]

If the Pats would have went after and got Cortland Finnegan this last off season and then picked up Talib like they did now, what a backfield it would have been.

I just want Talib to give us a guy who can turn his head and make a play on the ball.  That's all I am looking for as it seems none of the current CB's learned how to do that.  Maybe it will rub off onto the others!!

[/QUOTE]

Where was Finnegan when he played us??  I agree he would have been an upgrade but BB doesnt sign big name CBs and really never has.  As far as how much Talib can help, its about how much the Pats Allow him to help. Coming in as a man to man, press guy, how effective will he be in our vanilla zones where we dont apply pressure. One overlooked factor. Teams play different schems and seeing as we are the least blitzing team in the league and have given up the most plays, how can that change with one player?? You have to switch to man and ask him to lock up one side and double the other but playin cover 2 zone wont change anything just because u replace one guy. Its the safeties who arent helping. That wont change by replacing a CB will it...???

[/QUOTE]

Makes sense, although there is a flip side to this. Are we playing more zone because we have a young secondary and don't have a guy like Talib that could take away a number 1 WR? 

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

In response to TripleOG's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to TFB12's comment:
    [QUOTE]

If the Pats would have went after and got Cortland Finnegan this last off season and then picked up Talib like they did now, what a backfield it would have been.

I just want Talib to give us a guy who can turn his head and make a play on the ball.  That's all I am looking for as it seems none of the current CB's learned how to do that.  Maybe it will rub off onto the others!!

[/QUOTE]

Where was Finnegan when he played us??  I agree he would have been an upgrade but BB doesnt sign big name CBs and really never has.  As far as how much Talib can help, its about how much the Pats Allow him to help. Coming in as a man to man, press guy, how effective will he be in our vanilla zones where we dont apply pressure. One overlooked factor. Teams play different schems and seeing as we are the least blitzing team in the league and have given up the most plays, how can that change with one player?? You have to switch to man and ask him to lock up one side and double the other but playin cover 2 zone wont change anything just because u replace one guy. Its the safeties who arent helping. That wont change by replacing a CB will it...???

[/QUOTE]

"You have to switch to man and ask him to lock up one side and double the other but playin cover 2 zone wont change anything just because u replace one guy."

been saying the same since the moment of the trade