What will become of QB Mallett?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Army2LT. Show Army2LT's posts

What will become of QB Mallett?

He seems to be doing very well in camp so far and it doesn't really make sense for him to stay here. He deserves a starting job.

I don't think the Raiders are a match because thier GM said he will not trade future draft picks, and the Jets are not a match because they are within the division.

Will BB really allow Mallett to walk without any compensation (besides a possible compensation pick)?

Maybe its a good thing that the Eagles get to see him up close.  They could be a potential partner.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1637521-who-is-the-worst-starting-quarterback-in-the-nfl

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1683799-is-matt-flynn-really-the-nfls-worst-starting-qb

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Rocky. Show Rocky's posts

Re: What will become of QB Mallett?

In response to Army2LT's comment:

He seems to be doing very well in camp so far and it doesn't really make sense for him to stay here. He deserves a starting job.

I don't think the Raiders are a match because thier GM said he will not trade future draft picks, and the Jets are not a match because they are within the division.

Will BB really allow Mallett to walk without any compensation (besides a possible compensation pick)?

BB will not allow him to walk without getting something for him...Doesn't he have one more year after this on his contract?

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1637521-who-is-the-worst-starting-quarterback-in-the-nflhttp://bleacherreport.com/articles/1683799-is-matt-flynn-really-the-nfls-worst-starting-qb

BB will not allow him to walk without getting something for him...Doesn't he have one more year after this on his contract?

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Army2LT. Show Army2LT's posts

In response to Rocky's comment:

[QUOTE]

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1637521-who-is-the-worst-starting-quarterback-in-the-nflhttp://bleacherreport.com/articles/1683799-is-matt-flynn-really-the-nfls-worst-starting-qb

[/QUOTE]

I think this is his last year.  I could be wrong though...

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Rocky. Show Rocky's posts

Mallett is not a FA until 2015

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

He's signed through 14' so they can trade him this offseason. Unfortunately this next draft is turning out to be a stronger QB draft than previous years so it might be hard to find a trading partner for an older QB with one year left on a rook contract. If they were going to trade him last year would have been the ideal. 2 years under a low contract, a large number of teams looking for a QB, a weak QB FA, and a very weak QB draft but they just couldn't get the value they wanted. It will be interesting to see what they do with him next offseason

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Army2LT. Show Army2LT's posts

In response to PatsEng's comment:

[QUOTE] 

He's signed through 14' so they can trade him this offseason. Unfortunately this next draft is turning out to be a stronger QB draft than previous years so it might be hard to find a trading partner for an older QB with one year left on a rook contract. If they were going to trade him last year would have been the ideal. 2 years under a low contract, a large number of teams looking for a QB, a weak QB FA, and a very weak QB draft but they just couldn't get the value they wanted. It will be interesting to see what they do with him next offseason

[/QUOTE]

I guess I was wrong.  This is embarrasing.

Still though, the situation is pretty interesting because all the reports from camp say he's throwing well.  But we may never see it since he's behind Brady through the season.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

I guess I was wrong.  This is embarrasing.

Still though, the situation is pretty interesting because all the reports from camp say he's throwing well.  But we may never see it since he's behind Brady through the season.

Bah we are all wrong from time to time nothing embarrasing about it. This season should be interesting to watch. IMO if you don't see him this season then they want to keep him, however, if they bring him in to close out games then they are showcasing him for a trade next offseason. That's what I'd be watching out for

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from TrueChamp. Show TrueChamp's posts

I'm thinking of a name....Steve Young. Mallet takes over for Brady in 4 years and wins a SB or two for Mcdaniels.

"Defense Wins Championships"

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from TrueChamp. Show TrueChamp's posts

Unless Tim Tebow makes him expendable.....GASP

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from 49Patriots. Show 49Patriots's posts

In response to TrueChamp's comment:

ROFFL, good one. Mallet has one more season after this one. Even if he didn't, BB would tag and trade.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

That would never happen. Tebow makes Brady expendable. Tebow needs a nice backup right? lol

12. This post has been removed.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

In response to Bustchise's comment:

In response to 49Patriots' comment:

ROFFL, good one. Mallet has one more season after this one. Even if he didn't, BB would tag and trade.

Bwa ha ha ha.... tag and trade a guy with zero nfl experience? Why would Mallet ever agree to a contract when he could get top QB $ for a year?

Think about your statement. First you say that he has zero nfl experience implying he has zero trade value, then in the following sentence say he'll get top QB $ for a year suggesting he has a lot of value as to the reason why he wouldn't sign a tag contract? You can't have it both ways, either he has no value because of lack of experience and he'd be willing to sign a contract because of it or he has value in the league irregardless of experience because he won't sign a contract knowing he can get top dollar around the league. Pick a side

14. This post has been removed.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from 49Patriots. Show 49Patriots's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

In response to 49Patriots' comment:

Bwa ha ha ha.... tag and trade a guy with zero nfl experience? Why would Mallet ever agree to a contract when he could get top QB $ for a year?

Think about your statement. First you say that he has zero nfl experience implying he has zero trade value, then in the following sentence say he'll get top QB $ for a year suggesting he has a lot of value as to the reason why he wouldn't sign a tag contract? You can't have it both ways, either he has no value because of lack of experience and he'd be willing to sign a contract because of it or he has value in the league irregardless of experience because he won't sign a contract knowing he can get top dollar around the league. Pick a side

[/QUOTE]

Yeah, no. I'm saying that if someone was dumb enough to tag him and have to pay him top dollar, who would give up anything for a guy with zero game experience and have to pay him something a lot more than the qb franchise number. Sorry, that idiot, Pioli, is currently out of the NFL

[/QUOTE]

Because the talent is there and he was mentored by BB, Brady and McD.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from wozzy. Show wozzy's posts

[QUOTE]

Pick a side

Yeah, no.

[/QUOTE]

He can't... he loves a Patriots website because there are actual intelligent fans to converse with, his team the Jests are a joke and his hometown fans all sound like extras from Jersey Shore.  He's all turned around...

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from whodeawhodat. Show whodeawhodat's posts

I thought you guys traded Mallet for a 2nd round pick this last draft? BB had a done deal.

Ohhhhhhh, he wanted to hold out to franchise him first THEN trade him, riiiggghhhht..... homers

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from IrishMob7. Show IrishMob7's posts

In response to whodeawhodat's comment:

I thought you guys traded Mallet for a 2nd round pick this last draft? BB had a done deal.

Ohhhhhhh, he wanted to hold out to franchise him first THEN trade him, riiiggghhhht..... homers

Hey who do you think will start this season for the Jets?  I hear it's going to be Sanchez.  If so, how many picks or fumbles does he have to create by running into a teammate's azz before he's benched in favor of the legend Geno?

I'd love to hear your thoughts.  Things are getting exciting down in Jersey!!

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from whodeawhodat. Show whodeawhodat's posts

In response to IrishMob7's comment:

[QUOTE]

Hey who do you think will start this season for the Jets?  I hear it's going to be Sanchez.  If so, how many picks or fumbles does he have to create by running into a teammate's azz before he's benched in favor of the legend Geno?

[/QUOTE]

I think Sanchez starts the season and Geno comes in at some point, maybe after the bye week. Think Gronk will be back this season? FF draft is almost here.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from IrishMob7. Show IrishMob7's posts

In response to IrishMob7's comment:

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

I think Sanchez starts the season and Geno comes in at some point, maybe after the bye week. Think Gronk will be back this season? FF draft is almost here.

[/QUOTE]

Yup.  From a fantasy perspective, I'm hoping Gronk starts on the PUP.  Stock goes way down and I can pick him up in the later rounds.  He comes back, health provided, and tears it up the rest of the way into the fantasy playoffs.  Good value.

How many wins do you think the Jets will get this year?

21. This post has been removed.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from whodeawhodat. Show whodeawhodat's posts

Geez, that is a tough question.  I cant see us being worse than last year and we managed to win 6 games so I will set the floor on wins there and if (and now come the "ifs") we can improve on offense, could we be any worse, under MM as OC and Lee working with QBs, I think we can get a couple of more wins.

23. This post has been removed.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from whodeawhodat. Show whodeawhodat's posts

[QUOTE]

Not a second... the browns top pick....#6?

[/QUOTE]

oh, those were the "irrationals" that thought BB would get the #6 pick for their back up QB.  I am talking about the "real" pats fans.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from Paul_K. Show Paul_K's posts

Lots of players have spent their time in the Patriots system and walked. That's the way the NFL contract game is played.

We don't know quite how good or how bad Mallett is.  Mallett only performs in preseason games, and as a rule, BB asks all of his quarterbacks to throw the stupidest pass possible in some preseason game.  However, we know that Mallett isn't good enough by a mile for a franchise tag, not at quarterback franchise tag numbers. 

This leaves the possibility of signing Mallett to an extension at NFL market prices.  Mallett, for his part, can probably hold a clipboard for one more year, not injuring himself on the clipboard.  Then Mallet's agent can merchandise him as a genuine Patriot quarterback, good enough to have been Tom Brady's only backup in 2012 so you know he's good.  Mallett will have four years of NFL experience and is in perfect health.  He knows the entire Patriots system, are you listening Buffalo in case E. J. Manuel is a bust?  Are you listening Pittsburgh?  Plus, if you buy before midnight tomorrow, a free dental plan! 

The Pats have been winning division crown after division crown during Mallett's tenure here.  Ten general managers are asking themselves, "why can't I win even one division crown?"  So, one dozen NFL teams will gladly pay two or three times what Mallett is actually worth, simply because he's a Patriot.  BB will go out and settle for a serviceable quarterback who will work for 70% of what he's actually worth because he held a clipboard on a 4-12 team and so nobody wanted him.