What will become of QB Mallett?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from IrishMob7. Show IrishMob7's posts

Re: What will become of QB Mallett?

You have to think Mallett will test FA once his rookie contract expires in 2014.  Brady is around for at least another 5 seasons.  This isn't a Rodgers type situation where you learn from one of the greats for 3 years and then step in.  If Brady indeed plays until he's 40 (even though he's stated he wants to play past 40) then that would leave Mallett on the bench for 8 seasons without any starting experience.  I highly doubt he wants to do that.

In an ideal world, Mallett would have been born 5 years later, he would learn under Brady for 3 years, Brady would win 2 more Super Bowls and ride off into the sunset after handing over the keys of Foxborough to Mallett who begins his legacy in NE.  He has all the intangibles you could want in a QB but timing constraints will probably not allow us to witness it firsthand here in NE.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from MustangBri. Show MustangBri's posts

In response to Paul_K's comment:

Lots of players have spent their time in the Patriots system and walked. That's the way the NFL contract game is played.

We don't know quite how good or how bad Mallett is.  Mallett only performs in preseason games, and as a rule, BB asks all of his quarterbacks to throw the stupidest pass possible in some preseason game.  However, we know that Mallett isn't good enough by a mile for a franchise tag, not at quarterback franchise tag numbers. 

This leaves the possibility of signing Mallett to an extension at NFL market prices.  Mallett, for his part, can probably hold a clipboard for one more year, not injuring himself on the clipboard.  Then Mallet's agent can merchandise him as a genuine Patriot quarterback, good enough to have been Tom Brady's only backup in 2012 so you know he's good.  Mallett will have four years of NFL experience and is in perfect health.  He knows the entire Patriots system, are you listening Buffalo in case E. J. Manuel is a bust?  Are you listening Pittsburgh?  Plus, if you buy before midnight tomorrow, a free dental plan! 

The Pats have been winning division crown after division crown during Mallett's tenure here.  Ten general managers are asking themselves, "why can't I win even one division crown?"  So, one dozen NFL teams will gladly pay two or three times what Mallett is actually worth, simply because he's a Patriot.  BB will go out and settle for a serviceable quarterback who will work for 70% of what he's actually worth because he held a clipboard on a 4-12 team and so nobody wanted him.

Are you the Paul_K that is a mod on SOSH?  If so,  I enjoy reading your stuff over there.  Thx.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from portfolio1. Show portfolio1's posts

If Brady plays till he is 40 Mallett is not his heir. We will have to trade him either this year or next off season. I do not know what we get but a 2nd rounder or as part of a larger trade (such as trading up for a higher first and trading a pick up into the first round) might be doable if he can be showcased successfully before hand.

This means we would expect the Pats to look for a QB in rounds 3 or 4 next year.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from seattlepat70. Show seattlepat70's posts

In response to PatsEng's comment:

In response to Army2LT's comment:

I think this is his last year.  I could be wrong though...

He's signed through 14' so they can trade him this offseason. Unfortunately this next draft is turning out to be a stronger QB draft than previous years so it might be hard to find a trading partner for an older QB with one year left on a rook contract. If they were going to trade him last year would have been the ideal. 2 years under a low contract, a large number of teams looking for a QB, a weak QB FA, and a very weak QB draft but they just couldn't get the value they wanted. It will be interesting to see what they do with him next offseason

A strong '14 and/or '15 draft could work well for the Pats. It means it will be difficult to trade him next year, but it may also mean fewer teams will be interested in him as a starter when he goes into FA. The offers he will be seeing are probably going to be for a backup - not much more attractive that what he could get with the Pats. At that point, he would be better served by signing with the offense he has spent a lot of time learning, as it probably translates to higher likelihood of success if given the chance.

Truth is nobody knows how long TB will be playing. His ability to escape rushers seems to decline as each year (at least that is my perception). More and more he will be vulnerable to hard hits. God forbid, it may take a toll on him sooner than later. 

IMO, the Pats needs to draft a QB next year for insurance. I like TT as a person, but I just don't see him as the successor to TB. I really hope he isn't.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from anonymis. Show anonymis's posts

traded after this season for a 3rd rounder, or worse if he doesn't get any professional body of work this year.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from CablesWyndBairn. Show CablesWyndBairn's posts

What will become of Mallett, in large part, is dependant on what he does this preseason.  If he lights it up his stock soars and the Pats likely land a pick higher than the 3rd they used to get him.  If he's so-so, well, I can't imagine his value is going to be very high.  This is the year he needs to show something in preseason.    

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Army2LT. Show Army2LT's posts

In response to IrishMob7's comment:

You have to think Mallett will test FA once his rookie contract expires in 2014.  Brady is around for at least another 5 seasons.  This isn't a Rodgers type situation where you learn from one of the greats for 3 years and then step in.  If Brady indeed plays until he's 40 (even though he's stated he wants to play past 40) then that would leave Mallett on the bench for 8 seasons without any starting experience.  I highly doubt he wants to do that.

In an ideal world, Mallett would have been born 5 years later, he would learn under Brady for 3 years, Brady would win 2 more Super Bowls and ride off into the sunset after handing over the keys of Foxborough to Mallett who begins his legacy in NE.  He has all the intangibles you could want in a QB but timing constraints will probably not allow us to witness it firsthand here in NE.

I think you are correct.  There's no way in heck that he sticks around to be a career back up.  I think alot of young and upcoming QBs will be put to the test this year and many teams will emerge as a potential trade partner.  Or if a serious contender (i.E. San Fran, Seattle, or Atlanta) lose thier starting QB early due to injury.

I think the whole thing with Cassell  hurt them.  He did well in NE, but failed with a new team like many other Pats players who walked.

Sections
Shortcuts