What will it take..

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxfan94. Show redsoxfan94's posts

Re: What will it take..

In response to ClarkGriswold's comment:

In response to redsoxfan94's comment:

to get brady to play at an elite level in the playoffs? he has shown year after year that he is still elite and still puts up very good numbers in the regular season. during that time, everyone is happy with the offense and the weapons brady has around him. then come the afc title games, brady decided he wants to take those games off. so i ask what can the pats do to get mr. brady out of this funk?

this isnt about the defense, the opinions on that will vary, many of you loons think its all their fault, thats fine. if you want to be in denial about the offense, then you will continue to be disappointed.

so what do they need?

1. Let Welker go.    Brady is better without binkies.  Gronk will be a binky, but in a good way, because he's just a huge target.  I can live with that. But, the buddy/buddy thing he and Welker have, I feel, affected how he's played.

2.  Get another perimeter WR to go with Lloyd.  Brady hasn't been the same since he got spoiled with Moss and Welker as the ying/yang of a lethal pass offense.  2010 was the closest he's been to his old self, but he still hasn't made that switch. SUggestion: Brian Hartline.

3. Get Brady to do some agility and maybe some kind of a reaction kind of drill to get him to run more when plays break down at the line.  Show him some old tape where he used to do this with no problem.   3 yards is better than an incompletion and the clock stopping, over and over.

4. Get a FB/HB type in here that you actually use more than any time in the last 6 or 7 years.  Not a Heath Evans, but a legit athlete who is more like a large RB who can run, block and catch. Suggestion: Trade for Michael Robinson from Seattle. Underrated. Let Woodhead go. Whenever Welker and Woodhead are used a lot, we lose. Not a coincidence.

5. Tell Brady to get back under center. Take away some autonomy against some opponents, the ones with a quality front 7 and secondary. No more audiibling to get yourself into the shogun.

I keep thinking back to the 2009 NFL piece about BB and the opening 2009 game when Brady was back from his injury.  BB was telling him to settle down and Brady went on the defensive saying he "hit him right in the hands". BB was incredulous because he didn't hit Faulk in the hands at all. It was way over his head.

At the end of the day, BB has to slap Brady, pass less, get the ball out into other people's hands who don run mid field routes all game long.

yea brady does like to blame his receivers constantly....just two years ago he got into that b.itchfest with bill o'brien when he got intercepted in the red zone against the redskins....i guarantee you that after he sees the tape, he acknowledges his mistakes, but during the game he thinks its never his fault.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxfan94. Show redsoxfan94's posts

In response to NoMorePensionLooting's comment:

In response to tcal2-'s comment:

A Rusty taking a shot at Brady....how original.  How about a Defense that doesn't suck Like it has for the past 8 years.  

Sounds great....only one tennie tiny problem....this Team is built as an offensive jugernaught not a defensive powerhouse.

If you want to put all the CAP money on defensive side of the ball I got no problem with that. However you can't have a QB taking up 21 Mil in CAP space. You will need a average, hold the fort QB, and a killer defense.

As long as Tom is here this will be an offensive team, just the way it is.

+1000

people just cant seem to grasp that. they blame the defense, when its an OFFENSIVE team!....what do you think is going to happen when an OFFENSIVE team's OFFENSE plays like dogsheet??

3. This post has been removed.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from NoMorePensionLooting. Show NoMorePensionLooting's posts

And by the way....where is it I'm wrong? Read my posts as far back as you want, I have said Tom is the best ever.

However, the team lives in the here and now, not the past. Have you seen the beach shots of Tom? He's pudgy...sorry what do you want be to say. Have you seen how he runs, if you even want to call it running.

Personal responsibility...Tom can be in better shape. And at 36 he needs to be if he is to lead the Team. As an athlete ages conditioning becomes everything.

Tom can be in better shape, and should be in better shape, that's all I'm sayin'

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from tanbass. Show tanbass's posts

We won 3 superbowls with no real deep threat. And when we did bring one in with Moss, how'd that work out for getting us the Lombardi? I'm amazed that people seem to think a deep threat is such a huge issue...it's just not.

We need to stay healthy, and simply make a couple more plays than we have. We are right there in the hunt almost every year. There is no miracle addition that will fix our post-season woes. We must play better on both sides of the ball, and not give up turnovers, and maybe get a few from our defense. But number one issue we must have is being healthy.

The Ravens SUCKED in December....and got hot at the perfect time. We need the leaders of this team to get them up for these post season games, and this team needs to bring their level of play up a few notches from the regular season. The tools are here to win it all, they just need to use them.

6. This post has been removed.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxfan94. Show redsoxfan94's posts

And by the way....where is it I'm wrong? Read my posts as far back as you want, I have said Tom is the best ever.

However, the team lives in the here and now, not the past. Have you seen the beach shots of Tom? He's pudgy...sorry what do you want be to say. Have you seen how he runs, if you even want to call it running.

Personal responsibility...Tom can be in better shape. And at 36 he needs to be if he is to lead the Team. As an athlete ages conditioning becomes everything.

Tom can be in better shape, and should be in better shape, that's all I'm sayin'

absolutely, it becomes even more imperative that he stays in great shape now that he is older....but i dont think he didnt run for those first downs because he was in bad shape, i think it was just poor decision making.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from 49Patriots. Show 49Patriots's posts

Playoff defenses run a tight man-to-man and stuff the box against us. When that happens, the running game is null and void and with no one to make them pay with Brady is in a jam and has to make perfect throws. 

Also, since Brady is used to throwing to Wes, he rarely ever works on his deep game. This offseason with Gronk and Lloyd still on the roster, Brady has to work on it. He missed a lot of big plays last season. 

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from NoMorePensionLooting. Show NoMorePensionLooting's posts

A Rusty taking a shot at Brady....how original.  How about a Defense that doesn't suck Like it has for the past 8 years.  

Sounds great....only one tennie tiny problem....this Team is built as an offensive jugernaught not a defensive powerhouse.

If you want to put all the CAP money on defensive side of the ball I got no problem with that. However you can't have a QB taking up 21 Mil in CAP space. You will need a average, hold the fort QB, and a killer defense.

+1000

people just cant seem to grasp that. they blame the defense, when its an OFFENSIVE team!....what do you think is going to happen when an OFFENSIVE team's OFFENSE plays like dogsheet??

Yes, yes YES!! I get so damn frustrated with this.

The CAP controls how and who gets the Lions share of the money.

The Patriots are built to score 30+ points a game.

The D has but 2, maybe 3 stars, how the hell does that work.

So if the O is getting the Lions share of the kill then they damn well better show up and score their 30+ points and stop disappearing in the biggest games of the year.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from 49Patriots. Show 49Patriots's posts

In response to tanbass' comment:

We won 3 superbowls with no real deep threat. And when we did bring one in with Moss, how'd that work out for getting us the Lombardi? I'm amazed that people seem to think a deep threat is such a huge issue...it's just not.

We need to stay healthy, and simply make a couple more plays than we have. We are right there in the hunt almost every year. There is no miracle addition that will fix our post-season woes. We must play better on both sides of the ball, and not give up turnovers, and maybe get a few from our defense. But number one issue we must have is being healthy.

The Ravens SUCKED in December....and got hot at the perfect time. We need the leaders of this team to get them up for these post season games, and this team needs to bring their level of play up a few notches from the regular season. The tools are here to win it all, they just need to use them.

Well, we also had one of the best defenses in the game when we won. 

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxfan94. Show redsoxfan94's posts

+1000

Exactly. I'll be the first to admit the D didn't battle well enough in the 4th qtr, but I also realize Marquice Cole is the dimeback/STs CB here for a reason.  He's not a guy you want on Boldin or anyone of that caliber. Talib and Jones out didn't help. 

However, the litany of excuses for the offense, going on SIX YEARS, tracing to SB 42, is absolutely out of control in this town. It's barely talked about on sports radio, we have the 3 Knights runnnig around here trying to block some of us from discussing it, etc.

Our offense has been AWFUL in all the big playoff losses since 2005.  It goes that far back. It really does.

In an offesnive era, where BB ups the odds by investing in that side of the ball the most, which is the right move (look at all premier franchises of late, NOs, GB, Balt, NYGs, etc), BB can't go out there buying every Tom, Dick or Harry at 10 mil per to appease Tom Brady's ego.

The pouting from Brady has to to stop, too. I don;t want an abysmal offense from him and then seeing him strolling around the sidelines demanding a turnover or more holds for FGs by our D.

The stuff from SB 46 is a joke.  The guy had 4 opps to get them into at least FG range and he blew at least 2 of those because of HIM. No one else. BB didn't make him throw that INT or throw poorly to Welker.

If anyone has let this organization down in the postseason in recent years, it's #12.

Start there, folks.

im not going to go as far as to say brady let the organization down, because he still brought them to the playoffs and to two super bowls since 2007....but he has played poorly and deserves a good portion of the blame as far as why they have come up short.

12. This post has been removed.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from NoMorePensionLooting. Show NoMorePensionLooting's posts

absolutely, it becomes even more imperative that he stays in great shape now that he is older....but i dont think he didnt run for those first downs because he was in bad shape, i think it was just poor decision making.

I will respectfully disagree here. He didn't run because he can't run at all, he's outta shape. He can get in better shape and would love to see pictures of him in the off season out jogging every day and come into camp 10-15 lbs lighter.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxfan94. Show redsoxfan94's posts

In response to 49Patriots' comment:

In response to tanbass' comment:

Well, we also had one of the best defenses in the game when we won. 

true, but in the past two super bowls they lost, the defense allowed 17 and 21 points....thats about what they were giving up when they were WINNING those three super bowls....i mean, they gave up 29 vs carolina and still won. defense gave up 28 points vs baltimore this year, but one td was due to an offensive turnover near midfield. 

15. This post has been removed.

16. This post has been removed.

17. This post has been removed.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from garytx. Show garytx's posts

Outside of Babe and a couple of others I think most here can say Brady didn't play his best but geez guys you have to have some kind of a defense out there.  The Pats are hurting here.  It really showed up when Talib went out.  And not to say that it all hangs on Talib because it could have been Dennard instead.  One of those guys goes out and the defense goes back to the stone age.

On offense there needs to be some kind of philosophical change.  Gronk goes out two years in a row and the offense just isn't the same.  Something has to give there.

19. This post has been removed.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from ATJ. Show ATJ's posts

I must confess that I do not have the answer to the original question.  I'm a huge Brady fan but for some reason he's become inconsistent in the playoffs.  He had an excellent game against the Texans and then he and the rest of the offense sputtered against the Ravens.  Last year in the Super Bowl he had periods of absolute brilliance.  He set a record for completions in the Super Bowl and at the end of the 1st half took the team 98 yards for a TD (10 of 10 on passes during the drive).  But then in the second half, particularly the 4th qtr, he didn't seem to be able to make the play(s) when he needed to.  I know, the Welker near-catch is open to question as to who didn't do what.  

I think Tom himself will allow that he hasn't played up to his standard, at times, in the playoffs.  And, yes, I will say 'at times' because that's the way I see it.  But I have difficulty finding fault with the assertion in this SI piece:

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2012/writers/michael_rosenberg/02/06/brady.legacy/index.html

I think the team, overall, needs to play better, not just Tom.

My 2 cents.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

Spare us another Brady bashing thread Rustyclone.

You've been told what it will take to win another SB. That is, something other than a MEDIOCRE team around Brady.

That's probably not going to happen considering the guy who built the MEDIOCRE team around Brady is still doing the building.

Live with this, junior. Your hero had dropped the ball and squandered the HOF QB window. We are very likely not going to see another Lombardi because of that, and then will sink into team-wide MEDIOCRITY, if not worse. The party is over. Your Brady bashing isn't going to change that.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

In response to ATJ's comment:

I must confess that I do not have the answer to the original question.  I'm a huge Brady fan but for some reason he's become inconsistent in the playoffs.

The team around him is second rate, unlike in the dynasty years. Simply accept the fact BB has let the team fall from its former magnitude and hope something good will come along in the years ahead. And if that is to be, it will more likely be by the hand of somebody other than BB.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

Just responded to you in the other thread.  For any want or need on D, the root fundamental problem that has absolutely plagued this team, really since 2005 in the postseson, is the OFFENSE.

Madness. The entire team around Brady is MEDIOCRE. Your greatest GM of all time has squandered the Brady years with poor decision after poor decision after poor decision. Live with it junior.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from ATJ. Show ATJ's posts

In response to BabeParilli's comment:

I must confess that I do not have the answer to the original question.  I'm a huge Brady fan but for some reason he's become inconsistent in the playoffs.

The team around him is second rate, unlike in the dynasty years. Simply accept the fact BB has let the team fall from its former magnitude and hope something good will come along in the years ahead. And if that is to be, it will more likely be by the hand of somebody other than BB.

Babe, I'm not entirely sure that I agree with you on this score.  Brady is among the best, if not the best, there ever has been at his position but to suggest that everyone else around him is second rate I think overlooks some pretty good talent.  The O line is among the best in the league (I believe ranked 7th of the 32 teams), Gronk and Hern are hardly second rate and neither is Welker.  On the D side, I don't think anyone would refute that the secondary has issues but the linebacking corps is solid and the D line is pretty stout.  Pass rush issues?  Yep, they could use help.  

Nope, I'm not ready to label the rest of the team as second rate.  

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from IrishMob7. Show IrishMob7's posts

In response to BabeParilli's comment:

Do you think the fact that Brady takes up 1/6 of the salary cap has something to do with these "second rate" players on this team?  Do you expect a first-ballot hall of famer at every position?  I don't understand how you hold players with $1-2M contracts to a higher standard than your lover Brady, who eats up 1/6 of the cap on a 53 man roster.

It's sickening to witness the constant bashing of every single player on this team, and the architect HOF GM/Coach who has put this dynasty together.  It's pretty clear that you're not a Patriots fan, but simply a Brady Lover.  I don't understand why it's blasphemous to question Brady's play in the playoffs in recent years.  He's the QB.  He's the leader.  He's the one that dictates most of what goes on during the game.  Instead of looking for a 7th round pick/UDFA on the defense to scapegoat, why don't you put some blame where it should be: on Brady's shoulders.

"Learn the game."  Better yet, learn the salary cap and how the money is allocated across the roster, old-timer.