what would happen if seymour sits out this year?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from flasox. Show flasox's posts

Re: would seymour sit out this year?

Sitting out puts in the same spot he is now. He is not going to play for the Pats period.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from mosseffect43. Show mosseffect43's posts

this is true,but it does seem he dosent want to play for the raiders either.sure the raiders could offer him a new contract,but it would have to be a monster one to convince him,if it remains as it is.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Vladtheimpaler1. Show Vladtheimpaler1's posts

In Response to Re: would seymour sit out this year?:
    this is true,but it does seem he dosent want to play for the raiders either.sure the raiders could offer him a new contract,but it would have to be a monster one to convince him,if it remains as it is.
    Posted by mosseffect43
    I think he has stopped pouting.

http://www.rotoworld.com/content/playerpages/player_main.aspx?sport=NFL&id=1134

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from mosseffect43. Show mosseffect43's posts

Posted by mosseffect43
    I can see that they wont let this go away.

http://www.rotoworld.com/content/playerpages/player_main.aspx?sport=NFL&id=1134

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat3. Show TexasPat3's posts

With a strike looming, it seems a long shot that Seymour won't report. But, it he doesn't, the Pats should let him sit out the season. To do anything else would be giving in to his whiny tactics.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from JordanFromMontreal. Show JordanFromMontreal's posts

Seymour will report. He seems like the type of guy who does the right thing, even if its not his desire. Oakland gets a great personality and a good player for at least one season, lol , sorry couldnt help laughing at that and we get a great draft pick for many years to come.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from mstringr. Show mstringr's posts

He'll report, play, collect,collect bigger, play his 16 required games, and never see the playoffs again,and get leg-whipped by Denver and Josh McDaniels twice a year the rest of his career. San Diego has him all schemed too.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat3. Show TexasPat3's posts

Apparently, Seymour is contemplating it. I wonder if his agent is trying to strong-arm the Pats into paying another million, in return for Seymour accepting the deal? 

Here are the words of Rodney Harrison on the situation: http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2009/09/07/harrison-seymours-not-thrilled-with-deal-to-raiders/

I'm kind of disappointed in Rodney's words...he sounds bitter. How can he criticize the Pats after they pulled him off the veteran scrap heap...paid him well...he benefitted by winning 2 rings....and that they decided to release him at age 34, when his diminished physical skills, and injuries, wouldn't permit him to continue to be a productive player? 

Here's a great comment from another poster on Seymour's plight:

"He (Seymour) should be happy because he's getting what he wanted. Didn't Seymour say he didn't want to play there in NE if he didn't get a new contract? Well he made his own bed, he was called on his bluff and now he's being fairly traded and he has an opportunity for a new contract now. If he didn't want to go to Oakland he should have considered that when he negotiated with NE. All we can assume is he considered everything and made his own decision and now this is the result based upon his choice of how he chose to play his hand...It's just like playing poker. If you want to bluff at a pot, sometimes you steal the money, and sometimes you pay the price. If you don't want to play that way then fold your hand. He wanted to play that way so he had to face the music of how the cards fell, and they fell this particular way this time..."   

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Muzwell. Show Muzwell's posts

.....   I'm kind of disappointed in Rodney's words...he sounds bitter. How can he criticize the Pats after they pulled him off the veteran scrap heap...paid him well...he benefitted by winning 2 rings....and that they decided to release him at age 34, when his diminished physical skills, and injuries, wouldn't permit him to continue to be a productive player?       .....
    Posted by TexasPat3

I don't look at his words as bitter, just realistic.  He's speaking the plain truth.  I don't get the sense that he's upset with the Pats.  If he thought he could still play in the NFL he'd have signed somewhere else.  

I agree with that poster though, that Seymour is getting what he bargained for.  I guess Al Davis must figure he's too old to be worrying about future draft picks, might as well get a guy who can contribute now.  Plus he realizes he'd probably mess up the pick anyway.  What I don't get is taking on a guy who is in the last year of his deal when you're not going to contend with or without him.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from TrueChamp. Show TrueChamp's posts

In Response to Re: would seymour sit out this year? : I don't look at his words as bitter, just realistic.  He's speaking the plain truth.  I don't get the sense that he's upset with the Pats.  If he thought he could still play in the NFL he'd have signed somewhere else.   I agree with that poster though, that Seymour is getting what he bargained for.  I guess Al Davis must figure he's too old to be worrying about future draft picks, might as well get a guy who can contribute now.  Plus he realizes he'd probably mess up the pick anyway.  What I don't get is taking on a guy who is in the last year of his deal when you're not going to contend with or without him.
    Posted by Muzwell

I stand by the Patriot organization that they are doing what they must do to give them the best chance to win and stay winning. With that being said any pats fan who says that Richard Seymour has no right to be angry and had no right to hold out years back must not realize that it is a business to the players as well as the Patriots. He did what he had to do to get his money. None of us can have any qualms with that. He was not disrespectful to our organization. He made his case and we paid him. Like him or not he was an integral part of 3 superbowl championships for The Pats.

With the current situation Seymour could still be franchised next year which could surely take away from his chances to get a max contract in 2011. He wants his contract in an uncapped year.(2010) He may play his card take a year vacation and roll his dice in the uncapped year. Which would not be a great situation for us. I really hope we didn't make this deal and not realize that we could get screwed on it.

I hope Seymour goes quietly but If you were him would you?

The raiders organization would have to be less intelligent then they appear if they take Seymour for 1 year only in exchange for a 1st rd draft pick. This situation may get worse before it gets better and it's not the kind of distraction we need heading into the season. Then again maybe it will fire us up to kick some a** this year. Go Patties!

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

Richie Rich won't sit out. He may threaten to and see if the bluff works. But crazy Al won't break for that BS.

If he sits out we fast forward to the exact situation as now (assuming the trade falls through) but it's Sep. 2010.

So, he still has to play a year to be a FA; he lost 4 mil; he is a year older; it has been 4 years since he was a pro bowl player, 5 since an all-pro; he has not played a down of football in 21 months.....

What would you do if you were a greedy jerk who cares about money more than anything else like he does?

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from mosseffect43. Show mosseffect43's posts

Apparently, Seymour is contemplating it. I wonder if his agent is trying to strong-arm the Pats into paying another million, in return for Seymour accepting the deal?       Here are the words of Rodney Harrison on the situation: http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2009/09/07/harrison-seymours-not-thrilled-with-deal-to-raiders/      I'm kind of disappointed in Rodney's words...he sounds bitter. How can he criticize the Pats after they pulled him off the veteran scrap heap...paid him well...he benefitted by winning 2 rings....and that they decided to release him at age 34, when his diminished physical skills, and injuries, wouldn't permit him to continue to be a productive player?       Here's a great comment from another poster on Seymour's plight:      "He (Seymour) should be happy because he's getting what he wanted. Didn't Seymour say he didn't want to play there in NE if he didn't get a new contract? Well he made his own bed, he was called on his bluff and now he's being fairly traded and he has an opportunity for a new contract now. If he didn't want to go to Oakland he should have considered that when he negotiated with NE. All we can assume is he considered everything and made his own decision and now this is the result based upon his choice of how he chose to play his hand...It's just like playing poker. If you want to bluff at a pot, sometimes you steal the money, and sometimes you pay the price. If you don't want to play that way then fold your hand. He wanted to play that way so he had to face the music of how the cards fell, and they fell this particular way this time..."   
    Posted by TexasPat3
    here is the latest.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2009/09/08/herald-report-vaguely-cites-financial-issues-between-seymour-and-patriots/

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from mosseffect81. Show mosseffect81's posts

I know many are drooling over the idea of the first round pick for richard,but the bottom line is,he holds the cards.he dosent have to do anything it dosent matter if it already cleared through the League.He already knows he wont return to the pats.so what he loses 3.7 million this year.its probably chump change to him.he may just retire,and nobody wins,but him.regardless of his motives,I think he has done enough for the pats organization.many are just angry because it will take that first round pick away.so who is selfish here?

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Shadowcpt. Show Shadowcpt's posts

Richard Seymour is not stupid, he's just pissed off right now. No doubt he has to make several serious and key decisions regarding his family. I believe he'll  be with the Raiders by Wednesday; he does have a game to prepare for.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Fabroni. Show Fabroni's posts

Crazy to do so since he would be out his 3.7 million, plus he woulsd be sued over the prorated portion of his signing bonus (4-6 million), plus he would lose his free agency next year in ayear he could really make out. He would not be cutting off his nose to spite his face, he'd be cutting off his whole head.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from mosseffect43. Show mosseffect43's posts

Crazy to do so since he would be out his 3.7 million, plus he woulsd be sued over the prorated portion of his signing bonus (4-6 million), plus he would lose his free agency next year in ayear he could really make out. He would not be cutting off his nose to spite his face, he'd be cutting off his whole head.
    Posted by Fabroni

http://www.ibabuzz.com/oaklandraiders/2009/09/08/raiders-mum-on-seymour/

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from JDub7757. Show JDub7757's posts

This in not about anger it's about money, Seymour has leverage right now and he may be using it to get a contract. He gains nothing by sitting out. He is probably looking for an extension or a promise that Oakland won't use the franchise tag.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Belenus555. Show Belenus555's posts

You're right JDub.....this is when Seymour auditions for any and every team in the league by having the best season he can possibly have....and harvest a huge payday as a result via a new contract....the only question will be: with what team?

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from JDub7757. Show JDub7757's posts

You're right JDub.....this is when Seymour auditions for any and every team in the league by having the best season he can possibly have....and harvest a huge payday as a result via a new contract....the only question will be: with what team?
    Posted by Belenus555

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from JDub7757. Show JDub7757's posts

Oakland could be the spot. They seem to clearing some cap space

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from AZPAT. Show AZPAT's posts

In Response to would seymour sit out this year?:
    seymour is real angry about being traded.he will be thirty,and has plenty of money.is it possible he sits out this season?or just retire?does this do anything with the trade? http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2009/09/07/what-is-richard-seymour-doesnt-show-in-oakland/
    Posted by mosseffect43

Would you walk away from $3.5million+ at age 30? Would you walk away from a potential big contract down the road? I doubt if he will either. Seymour needs to face reality: 1) he's coming off two injury plagued seasons, and he's not getting younger. I'm sure that if he hadn't been hurt, and stayed very productive for the last 2 seasons, the Pats would probably be looking at resigning him. But, he knows, or SHOULD know, that the money is all tied up in early selected player's first and 2nd contracts. After that, it's all the story of "What have you done for me lately, kid?" If he has any complaints, he needs to address them to the NFLPA, who signed off on this aggangement in the CBA.

Time for Seymour to grow up, face the facts, and repot to Oakland for 1 season. He can always come back to NE when his contract is up, if he REALLY wants to be here, for a pay cut. Let's see where his "heart" takes him on that one. Any takers?

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from mosseffect43. Show mosseffect43's posts

In Response to would seymour sit out this year? : Would you walk away from $3.5million+ at age 30? Would you walk away from a potential big contract down the road? I doubt if he will either. Seymour needs to face reality: 1) he's coming off two injury plagued seasons, and he's not getting younger. I'm sure that if he hadn't been hurt, and stayed very productive for the last 2 seasons, the Pats would probably be looking at resigning him. But, he knows, or SHOULD know, that the money is all tied up in early selected player's first and 2nd contracts. After that, it's all the story of "What have you done for me lately, kid?" If he has any complaints, he needs to address them to the NFLPA, who signed off on this aggangement in the CBA. Time for Seymour to grow up, face the facts, and repot to Oakland for 1 season. He can always come back to NE when his contract is up, if he REALLY wants to be here, for a pay cut. Let's see where his "heart" takes him on that one. Any takers?
    Posted by AZPAT

http://espn.go.com/blog/nflnation/tag/_/name/richard-seymour

maybe his agent is playing a role in it.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2009/09/09/parker-has-bay-area-teams-by-the-balls/

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from batou. Show batou's posts

I have a question for those who think that because RS has enough money, he will sit out this season or retire.  Why the hell would he not take a contract with the Pats for less dough?  He has enough money and could play on a SB contender for the next few years.

He obviously cares about the money and will show up in Oakland.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from unclealfie. Show unclealfie's posts

In Response to would seymour sit out this year?:
    seymour is real angry about being traded.he will be thirty,and has plenty of money.is it possible he sits out this season?or just retire?does this do anything with the trade? http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2009/09/07/what-is-richard-seymour-doesnt-show-in-oakland/
    Posted by mosseffect43

NFW he sits out the year. He looses salary and his NFL contract would be  frozen, meaning that would not be a free agent at the end of the year. 

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from mosseffect43. Show mosseffect43's posts

I hate to burst anybodys bubble,but he very well could just retire.he is the one with the leverage.he might be wanting a big contract before he goes anywhere else,and im sure he is comfortable enough money wise to hold out as long as he wants,or retire.if he does sit out through the five day letters ect.sure he could be fined,and lose pay,but also he needs to take a physical before he is even considered a raider.failing to take the physical is the same as failing the physical.it means no trade,and seymour will still be a patriot.

Sections
Shortcuts