What would it take to trade for Tony Gonzolez?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Pats7393. Show Pats7393's posts

Tony Gonzalez and 3rd round for Lawrance Maroney

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Kmaxx. Show Kmaxx's posts

Too many miles on those old tires.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from mosseffect43. Show mosseffect43's posts

I Agree,that a trade would be silly,but also the pats cap is real thin,and with 12 draft picks if they use them all,and to redo wilforks contract which I cant see happening this season.tony should be the last thing on the pats mind.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from m1020us. Show m1020us's posts

He is not a great blocker, but he is a great pass catcher.....the Pats like the multi dimentional players that can do both. He will not be in a Pats uniform.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Kmaxx. Show Kmaxx's posts

Don’t need or want him.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from dafoe. Show dafoe's posts

I'm guessing if the Pats wanted him they would have found a way to squeeze him into the earlier deal when gave away Mike Vrabel. Besides, he would have to take a huge pay cut to make it work. And there's no way I'd give up more than a fourth or fifth rounder for him at his age. Draft picks (even late rounders) are too important. Curtis Martin, Tom Brady and Asante Samuel were all late round picks- to name a few off the top of my head.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Pats7393. Show Pats7393's posts

BB likes his veterans that have one more chance at a title. They come to New England, go into the fountain of youth in the training room and they have some of their best years.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Pats7393. Show Pats7393's posts

Lawrance Maroney, send him to KC and get TG and a third. I know there are plenty of people who still think this guy will come along and be the 1st round back but it's not going to happen.

Create a bit of cap space and re do TG's contract. Right now the dude has made plenty of money, but he doesn't want to buy a ring he wants to earn a SB ring.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from mosseffect43. Show mosseffect43's posts

http://www.boston.com/sports/football/patriots/reiss_pieces/

this has to do in reference of age.Go on down to the post that says experience and BB choice.the coach likes the older guys.this year the pats are second in the league with haveing the oldest players.BB has always liked the older guys no matter how much some people dont.but with just 4.4 million in cap space,I just cant see it happening.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from MVPkilla. Show MVPkilla's posts

m

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from unclealfie. Show unclealfie's posts

No way. Too old, too expensive.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Rocky. Show Rocky's posts

Duncan- Didn't you start a thread very similiar to this a little bit ago?

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from MVPkilla. Show MVPkilla's posts

he is 33 years old and has openly said that he only wants to play 1 or 2 more seasons. A 2nd round pick could be a good Pat for years to come and you want to just give it away for a 33 year old who might retire this year? And on top of that you want to give them Ben Watson as well? Thank god your not the Pats GM.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from DuncanOrange. Show DuncanOrange's posts

I would think at least a 2nd round pick. Gonzolez's age will cause him not worth a late third round pick. The Patriots would be a great place for Gonzolez, our offense would be unstoppable. If they Patriots offered their last 2nd round pick and Ben Watson for Gonzolez it would be a tempting offer.

The Chiefs would be crazy to trade Gonzolez because he'll be key to Cassel have success in KC, but Gonzolez wants out and this day and age, teams usually trade upset veterans. If Gonzolez does get traded look for it to be in Minnesota, a NFC contender that's short of a playmaking in the passing game, especially some one that could take advantage of the play action fakes with Adrien Peterson.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from dafoe. Show dafoe's posts

[Quote]

Don’t need or want him.

[/Quote]
    Why would you not want Tony Gonzalez? He is a stand up guy, a great tight end and a major upgrade over anybody we have right now. I can see having a problem with the numbers or the compensation we would have to give up. But to say you don't want him is a little puzzling.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from MVPkilla. Show MVPkilla's posts

Moss I have abosolutly no issue with signing older players as long as they are on the street. Tony G would be one hell of a pick up if he was cut by KC and we signed him and in that situation I wouldnt say a word about his age in fact im the guy who is always defending the older guys on this forum so trust me I know that age matters to every other team except for the Pats. But we are not talking about signing Tony G we are talking about trading for him and the trade proposal on this thread was for us to send a 2nd round pick AND Ben Watson and that is stupid. Tony G has said he only wants to play 1 or 2 more years, a 2nd round pick can play for 10 years if its a good pick. Matt light was a second round pick so the trade thats on the table is for us to give up a possible ten year Pat with all kinds of value for a 33 year old TE who only wants to play 2 more years? Thats dumb in any sport and in any league, you just dont trade away 2nd round picks like that. And on top of that he wanted us to give them Watson too! A 2nd round pick is already overpaying for Tony G and he wants us to give up Watson too? Now thats just someone throwing Watson in the trade for the hell of it because it makes NO SENSE what so ever.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from joe81b. Show joe81b's posts

4th rounder, might throw in a 6th or 7th. he's 33 so a 3rd at the most

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from mosseffect43. Show mosseffect43's posts

how about not haveing the cap space.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from pyegian. Show pyegian's posts

So Pioli is going to acquire Matt Cassel to be his franchise quarterback, then trade by far the best weapon Cassel has to throw to ball to?

No chance. Zero. Gonzalez is a Chief next season.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from LenDaleUSC06. Show LenDaleUSC06's posts

Don't think that the Chiefs GM Pioli would want Maroney as he would know 1st-hand that he is inj. prone & soft. But I think the 3rd rd pick & Maroney for Tony G wouldn't be a bad trade. The hope would be that Tony G could play 3 more seasons since he has remained relatively inj. free for his entire career, but his contract would really have to be reworked b/c I believe he makes more than $6 Mil/yr & @ this time what team even has that much money free under the salary cap.

Also, the Chiefs would have to find a trade partner for Larry Johnson if they traded & received Maroney.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Pats7393. Show Pats7393's posts

[Quote]Don't think that the Chiefs GM Pioli would want Maroney as he would know 1st-hand that he is inj. prone & soft. But I think the 3rd rd pick & Maroney for Tony G wouldn't be a bad trade. The hope would be that Tony G could play 3 more seasons since he has remained relatively inj. free for his entire career, but his contract would really have to be reworked b/c I believe he makes more than $6 Mil/yr & @ this time what team even has that much money free under the salary cap.

Also, the Chiefs would have to find a trade partner for Larry Johnson if they traded & received Maroney.[/Quote]
    I think you are correct Pioli probably mark Maroney as one of their big misses on the 1st round but would be a nice value pick. Yes Tony G. has a 6.5 mil hit against the cap this year but that could be changed around I think. and there are a few teams that are well under the cap a few that are over 20 mil.

I'm sure in behind close doors BB would ask Brady, Maroney or TG...Well I think we know the answer TG.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from jiminycricket. Show jiminycricket's posts

lendale is on the hunt for sb's.

i'd rather trade for Larry J than Tony G. Younger and could be far more productive than Lawrence Maronnie.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Grogan77. Show Grogan77's posts

No way on a 2nd rd pick for Tony G. and I would love to see him in a Pats uniform. I would go as high as 3rd and that's it.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from mosseffect43. Show mosseffect43's posts

Re: What would it take to trade for Tony Gonzolez?

[QUOTE]No way on a 2nd rd pick for Tony G. and I would love to see him in a Pats uniform. I would go as high as 3rd and that's it.
    Posted by Grogan77[/QUOTE]
    http://www.rotoworld.com/content/clubhouse_relatednews.aspx?sport=NFL&majteam=ATL

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat3. Show TexasPat3's posts

Re: What would it take to trade for Tony Gonzolez?

The Falcons have allegedly offered their second round pick, the 55th overall selection, for Gonzalez: http://www.nationalfootballpost.com/2009/04/falcons-interested-in-trading-for-gonzalez/

Sections
Shortcuts