What's going on with Moss?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from HOFFBURGER. Show HOFFBURGER's posts

Re: What's going on with Moss?

< Back to front page Text size +

Panthers say Moss 'shut it down'

Posted by Albert Breer December 13, 2009 05:23 PM

Randy Moss finished Sunday's game with a single, 16-yard catch that ended with a fumble. Another Brady pass intended for Moss was intercepted.

And if you asked the Panthers what their game plan was, it's simple. They helped whoever was covering Moss early in the game with a safety. Then, once he was frustrated, they no longer needed to. Because by then, it was Game Over for No. 81.

"We knew he was going to shut it down," Panthers cornerback Chris Gamble said after the game. "That's what we wanted to do him. That's what we did. ... He'd just give up a lot ... Slow down, he's not going deep, not trying to run a route. You can tell, his body language."

Gamble continued ... "I know everyone who plays against him, they can sense that. Once you get into him in the beginning of the game, he shuts it down a little bit."

Gamble wasn't alone in his thoughts.

"You get physical with him, and I don't want to say he quits, but he kind of doesn't run the routes the way they're supposed to be run," safety Chris Harris said. "If you get a jam on him, he'll just ease up. He had the one catch, and he fumbled. ... We stayed on top of him. We were not gonna let him catch a deep pass. That's his game. If he can't get it going, he gets out of sync."

And so remains Moss's reputation. Beat him early, see you later, Randy. The seminal moment of Sunday's dicotomy between Moss and Wes Welker came in the third quarter. On Welker's 100th catch of the season, Panther safety Charles Godfrey knocked the slot receiver senseless. Did Welker give at all? Nope. He popped to his feet, and caught four more balls on the game-turning, 96-yard touchdown drive.

"They're two different breeds," Gamble said. "Welker's just a tough, hard-nosed guy. He got hit and he got back up. I can't see Moss getting hit, catching slants, getting b*nged around, and getting back up.

"I respect Wes' game. He's going over the middle all the time, getting hit, that's the majority of his catches, linebackers ready to hit him. And he gets hit, gets right back up."

In Response to Re: What's going on with Moss?:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: What's going on with Moss? : the guy is arguably the best receiver to ever play the game... if he plays as long as jerry rice did he'll shatter all his records... but he gets treated like he doesn't care about the game he lays it all out on the line for... i've read things like "he doesn't care about winning" he does so much for the team in terms of drawing coverage and spreading the field and gets $hitted on 4 it... but wes welker the "lil tough white guy" is GOD in cleats...  take moss out the game and welker will have to catch at least 20 passes to get to the other teams' 20 yrd line... moss has 9 Tds welker has 4.... enuff said
    Posted by 81pats12[/QUOTE]

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from jeffab. Show jeffab's posts

I think there are some really good points on here...and I also think the Moss story will be blown out of proportion - as they were already discussing it on the NFL Network.  Nobody ever expected Randy Moss to be perfect - but what he is is a heck of a wide receiver.  If he has a game or two like this - I'll take it.  He is consistently double teamed to open up space for guys like Welker, which is undoubtedly frustrating at times for him.  He's got an ego - he wants to contribute, but he's just not one of those guys who is going to play with a chip on his shoulder - it's just not his personality.  If the Pats address the very real need for an athletic and speedy third option at wide out in the off season, this will open up more room for Moss to operate and would be a very scary prospect for opposing defenses.  Yeah, he had a bad game, he looked a little out of it today......but I sure am glad he's on the team I root for.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from 81pats12. Show 81pats12's posts

[QUOTE]I think there are some really good points on here...and I also think the Moss story will be blown out of proportion - as they were already discussing it on the NFL Network.  Nobody ever expected Randy Moss to be perfect - but what he is is a heck of a wide receiver.  If he has a game or two like this - I'll take it.  He is consistently double teamed to open up space for guys like Welker, which is undoubtedly frustrating at times for him.  He's got an ego - he wants to contribute, but he's just not one of those guys who is going to play with a chip on his shoulder - it's just not his personality.  If the Pats address the very real need for an athletic and speedy third option at wide out in the off season, this will open up more room for Moss to operate and would be a very scary prospect for opposing defenses.  Yeah, he had a bad game, he looked a little out of it today......but I sure am glad he's on the team I root for.
    Posted by jeffab[/QUOTE]

AGREED

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from HOFFBURGER. Show HOFFBURGER's posts

i love moss to death and even as a pats fan i was a moss fan when he was a rookie in minny...i was the most excited patriots fan of all when we robbed oakland for him...so i am not just being a hater when i say he has no fight right now, he is punkin out and showing no heart and i never wanted to ever see it...he had a tough week, the whole snowday thing and all that, but there are 2 ways to respond to that...use it as fire and come ready to play, or continue to pout and go soft when things get rough like he has been doing lately..man the f*ck up, be a leader if you're supposed to be a captain...all that said i am not blaming our struggles on randy he has had a good season even checking out half the time, imagine what he would be capable of if he gave his all, thats frightening...

you wanna defend randy and bury your head in the sand and refuse to see whats going on then i got no problem with that, thats on you, your business...but to make bigoted statements towards welker and hate on him when he is giving his all to this TEAM, thats where i am not gonna just stay shut...

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from K-max. Show K-max's posts

[QUOTE]yea , hey dont let it bother u. lik i said i use get so upset,, but these people really dont understand football.
    Posted by SICOFITALL[/QUOTE]

And you would know Leon because you played Division 1.  

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from 81pats12. Show 81pats12's posts

[QUOTE]i love moss to death and even as a pats fan i was a moss fan when he was a rookie in minny...i was the most excited patriots fan of all when we robbed oakland for him...so i am not just being a hater when i say he has no fight right now, he is punkin out and showing no heart and i never wanted to ever see it...he had a tough week, the whole snowday thing and all that, but there are 2 ways to respond to that...use it as fire and come ready to play, or continue to pout and go soft when things get rough like he has been doing lately..man the f*ck up, be a leader if you're supposed to be a captain...all that said i am not blaming our struggles on randy he has had a good season even checking out half the time, imagine what he would be capable of if he gave his all, thats frightening... you wanna defend randy and bury your head in the sand and refuse to see whats going on then i got no problem with that, thats on you, your business...but to make bigoted statements towards welker and hate on him when he is giving his all to this TEAM, thats where i am not gonna just stay shut...
    Posted by HOFFBURGER[/QUOTE]

OK i was pointing to how the media portrays welker and bash moss but welker's production depends on moss... moss has shown he can be a possesion receiver (atlanta game bills game wk1) welker is not fast enough to be a deep threat... how can you say he's not giving his all when brady is locked on welker... brady even said it himself as soon as he sees the double coverage on someone that person is eliminated from his progression... guys are saying he has given up like the coverage on him is irrelevant  that's whats' pissing me off... when he has a big first half teams wise up and add more coverage(hence the notion he checks out half the time) im not bashing welker but no1 seems to say anything when he has a bad game

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from 81pats12. Show 81pats12's posts

[QUOTE]i love moss to death and even as a pats fan i was a moss fan when he was a rookie in minny...i was the most excited patriots fan of all when we robbed oakland for him...so i am not just being a hater when i say he has no fight right now, he is punkin out and showing no heart and i never wanted to ever see it...he had a tough week, the whole snowday thing and all that, but there are 2 ways to respond to that...use it as fire and come ready to play, or continue to pout and go soft when things get rough like he has been doing lately..man the f*ck up, be a leader if you're supposed to be a captain...all that said i am not blaming our struggles on randy he has had a good season even checking out half the time, imagine what he would be capable of if he gave his all, thats frightening... you wanna defend randy and bury your head in the sand and refuse to see whats going on then i got no problem with that, thats on you, your business...but to make bigoted statements towards welker and hate on him when he is giving his all to this TEAM, thats where i am not gonna just stay shut...

theres NO WAY you can be a deep threat and not take plays off these guys are not machines dude is basically running 50 60 yrd sprints and sometimes not getting the ball... give him credit for something!! even when he has a good game someone points out the block he missed or something its always something

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from proftom. Show proftom's posts

Looked to me like Randy's lower back is hurting.....Hope he's okay. 

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from shenanigan. Show shenanigan's posts

I wrote this before but I want to say it again.

Sometimes Moss doesn't give 100%, but there is a reason other than laziness.  If anyone doesn't do a lot of exercise, you should try doing a 50 yard sprint 10 times.  Then try doing it 50, you'll never make it, that's what Moss does every game. 

My point is if Moss goes balls to the wall the first 15 plays he won't have anything left the rest of the game.  He is smart, he knows if he is not the intended reciever he can still draw the coverage and conserve energy for plays when he is the intended reciever. 

He also changes his speed up throughout the game to keep defenders guessing whether he is the target or not.  When they start slacking off him because they think he's just going through the motions he takes off and nobody can catch him. 

You just have to accept that big play recievers can kill the other team or get no catches it just depends on a few plays through the game.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from 81pats12. Show 81pats12's posts

here what cris carter(sort of moss' mentor) had to say

http://espn.go.com/blog/boston/new-england-patriots/post/_/id/4672405/video-cris-carter-on-randy-moss

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from pochen23. Show pochen23's posts

I am not saying there is nothing to blame on Moss, as a fan, I also would like to see him come out fighting after the snowday sent home instead of being frustrated half the game (he is also being a total professional to not speak to the media about his frustration, unlike AT, which shows that he is still team first. That has to count for something). I was just pointing out that Moss's presence helps Welker greatly, evidently when they are in the red area where Moss can't take coverage away verticly, Welker is just a so so player in the red area. That itself shows how much the Patriots depends on Randy Moss, to draw coverage in between the 20s while occasionally catch the deep ball, and to catch TD passes in the red zone. Welker is an in between the 20s guy who benefits greatly from Moss.

Not trying to bash Welker, but like I said, he didn't show up in NO when they double team both him and Randy Moss, and he also didn't show up in the second half in the miami game after they adjusted the coverage to also double him instead of just Moss. To me, Welker has not come through when he is being focused by the defense, while Moss is consistently being keyed by the opponents. You really can't compare the two is what I am trying to say other than one is tough and one isn't. But hey, if Welker isn't tough he won't be in the NFL so he kinda has to to be successful.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from HOFFBURGER. Show HOFFBURGER's posts

i have no problem with him taking off plays here and there for constantly running deep routes, but its more than that. he jogs and loafs too much, and whether the ball is coming his way or not sometimes it actually matters how well he sells it if he is even just being a decoy. that has an effect on the entire play and that is also an advantage of having randy moss, not just the balls he catches but the coverage he draws. too easily he just starts going through the motions and running lazy routes, too easily he allows physical corners jam him and throw his game off. he rarely goes up and and uses his height and leaping ability to fight for the ball anymore, he has given up on picks, not just trying to break em up but pursuing the ballcarrier after. last i checked he is wearing pads too and he is technically a football player. someday it would be nice to see show more fire and emotion other than smiling & laughing on the sideline with brady when he has 150 yards and we are up 3 touchdowns. just once i'd like to see him get angry and motivated and fight back when things are going tough..

as far as the panthers db's what was your quote? "the panthers have no reason to compliment moss so what they say holds no merit"...

guess what? what they say does have some merit because they just played against him while you were watching him on your tv. players may talk a little bit and run mouths sometimes but not so candidly and to that degree. he just got called out, disrespected and embarrassed by what they said, and mark my words these comments will catch fire and be a major story leaguewide and you will see its not just me saying it. while there have always been whispers he generally still gets respect and nobody puts him out there to that degree, well they did now. this was no darrelle revis bickering about petty sh*t, this was randy moss straight up PUT ON BLAST. i am shocked they had so little respect publicly for the great randy moss, thats not just every week trash talk what they said.

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: What's going on with Moss? : theres NO WAY you can be a deep threat and not take plays off these guys are not machines dude is basically running 50 60 yrd sprints and sometimes not getting the ball... give him credit for something!! even when he has a good game someone points out the block he missed or something its always something
    Posted by 81pats12[/QUOTE]

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from HOFFBURGER. Show HOFFBURGER's posts

and again...moss has been the least of our problems and is not the major reason we have struggled. i am not blaming him for the issues of the entire team, if it wasnt for his contributions we would obviously be far worse off. BUT...this guy sat here making excuses for moss by taking shots at the "lil tough white guy welker" who is treated like "God in cleats" because he actually does bust his a*ss for this team and puts it all on the line every week. yeah lets all feel sorry for randy moss because wes welker gets his due credit for doing his job. bro you sound like a jealous keyshawn johnson being bitter and complaing about wayne chrebet...

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from shenanigan. Show shenanigan's posts

He didn't play well this game.  I don't think it's typical for him, I do think it bothers him when he doesn't play well. 

Ever had a bad day, done something stupid?  Cut a curb, tripped over your own feet, spilled your drink. 

Ever done it on national TV so everyone can ask you about why you did it?

He makes mistakes, he's human.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from 81pats12. Show 81pats12's posts

[QUOTE]i have no problem with him taking off plays here and there for constantly running deep routes, but its more than that. he jogs and loafs too much, and whether the ball is coming his way or not sometimes it actually matters how well he sells it if he is even just being a decoy. that has an effect on the entire play and that is also an advantage of having randy moss, not just the balls he catches but the coverage he draws. too easily he just starts going through the motions and running lazy routes, too easily he allows physical corners jam him and throw his game off. he rarely goes up and and uses his height and leaping ability to fight for the ball anymore, he has given up on picks, not just trying to break em up but pursuing the ballcarrier after. last i checked he is wearing pads too and he is technically a football player. someday it would be nice to see show more fire and emotion other than smiling & laughing on the sideline with brady when he has 150 yards and we are up 3 touchdowns. just once i'd like to see him get angry and motivated and fight back when things are going tough.. as far as the panthers db's what was your quote? "the panthers have no reason to compliment moss so what they say holds no merit"... guess what? what they say does have some merit because they just played against him while you were watching him on your tv. players may talk a little bit and run mouths sometimes but not so candidly and to that degree. he just got called out, disrespected and embarrassed by what they said, and mark my words these comments will catch fire and be a major story leaguewide and you will see its not just me saying it. while there have always been whispers he generally still gets respect and nobody puts him out there to that degree, well they did now. this was no darrelle revis bickering about petty sh*t, this was randy moss straight up PUT ON BLAST. i am shocked they had so little respect publicly for the great randy moss, thats not just every week trash talk what they said.  In Response to Re: What's going on with Moss? :

you cant really stop a good jam... im not going to type alot i'll just say this DEFENSES CAN TAKE AWAY ANYONE WITH THE NE OFFENSE ITS EITHER MOSS OR WELKER TDs OR FIRST DOWNS... IF RANDY DID REALLY QUIT WES WOULDN'T HAVE HAD A BIG GAME BECAUSE THEY WOULD LEAVE HIM ALONE.. AND ONCE AGAIN WHAT THE PANTHERS SAY HOLDS NO MERIT BECAUSE 1. THEY'RE BITTER AFTER TAKING AN L AND 2. BECAUSE THEY'RE BASICALLY SAYING BECAUSE OF US THE GREAT RANDY MOSS GOT FRUSTRATED... I LOVE WES I LOVE OUR OFFENSE BUT WITHOUT MOSS WE WILL BE HURTING

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from 81pats12. Show 81pats12's posts

[QUOTE]He didn't play well this game.  I don't think it's typical for him, I do think it bothers him when he doesn't play well.  Ever had a bad day, done something stupid?  Cut a curb, tripped over your own feet, spilled your drink.  Ever done it on national TV so everyone can ask you about why you did it? He makes mistakes, he's human.
    Posted by shenanigan[/QUOTE]

YEP a bad day doesn't get good it gets worst and worst

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from BTownExpress. Show BTownExpress's posts

[QUOTE]hey pochen u kno how dumb u sound. do believe everything mike felger n the rest of the dopes in the media say? im serious do u? revis is a great corner, not the best all around but a great cover guy , yes. i bet u werent at the first game, n i bet u didnt see the all22 game tape, bet not. cause if u did u wouldnt spew such garbage, cause moss beat him at least 65-70% of the time that game, but he didnt get the ball. y not? oh thats right revis , no moron, brady was hit n on the ground 21 times! thats y! i cant stand people that cant make their create an original thought

Honestly, you shouldn't be calling anyone on this (or any other board) stupid and/or telling them that they sound dumb.  Do you realise that your posts are barely readable?  Did you register yesterday just so that you could challenge us with your bizarre arrangement of haphazard keystrokes?

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from 81pats12. Show 81pats12's posts

to keep it real Moss was trying but you could tell he was distracted and confused. I only wish that he wasn't one of the four who were late to practice...as Belichek used those four to send a message to the entire team. Randy is a great athlete...but is sensitive to criticism...especially coming from within. Randy is suffering from a bruised ego...nothing more...nothing less....Moss has a fragile ego. All it will take is a little more time...support from his teammates...and a couple of great plays...and he'll be fine. Look for him to return to normal next week.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from BTownExpress. Show BTownExpress's posts

[QUOTE]If ur arguement is stupid, wuts wrong w/ callin it wut it is. barely readable, its not that hard if ur breathin, wut=what, ur=your, really not that hard cake eater

I accept that it's the best you can muster.  However, annoying and stupid is no way to go through life.  I'll bet your're still kicking yourself for quitting in the 3rd grade.

EDIT: Cake: Breakfast of Champions!

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Davedsone. Show Davedsone's posts

I would rather have an actual receiver.  Other teams have them.  He just doesnt impress me.  

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from 81pats12. Show 81pats12's posts

[QUOTE]I would rather have an actual receiver.  Other teams have them.  He just doesnt impress me.  
    Posted by Davedsone[/QUOTE]

PLEASE TELL ME YOU'RE NOT SERIOUS... 144 CAREER TDs 1400 PLUS CAREER YARDS?? IF THAT'S NOT A "REAL RECEIVER" I DONT KNOW WHAT IS

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from ronf. Show ronf's posts

No excuses for Moss. He is a team captain. Opposing teams now know that if you knock him around he'll check out. He can't be doing that. It's wrong. He needs to buck up and fight for that ball. He also needs to lay some big time blocks down field for his team mates ala Hines Ward! That will send a message to teams that Moss can play physical. Come on Randy! 

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from EnochRoot. Show EnochRoot's posts

[QUOTE]If ur arguement is stupid, wuts wrong w/ callin it wut it is. barely readable, its not that hard if ur breathin, wut=what, ur=your, really not that hard cake eater

Seriously?

He wasn't saying don't call anything stupid. He was saying that the way you write makes you look like an idiot and an idiot doesn't have the right to call anything stupid.

Based on your response, I'd say he was right.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from carawaydj. Show carawaydj's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: What's going on with Moss? : Seriously? He wasn't saying don't call anything stupid. He was saying that the way you write makes you look like an idiot and an idiot doesn't have the right to call anything stupid. Based on your response, I'd say he was right.
    Posted by EnochRoot[/QUOTE]

Is there a forum application for the iPhone or Blackberry that some are writing posts on now?  I'm trying to figure out why there is this sudden increase in people writing all CAPS and/or doing those ridiculous SMS Text style abbreviations as if they aren't on a normal computer with a normal keyboard...  

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from crono420. Show crono420's posts

WE ALL LOVE RANDY MOSS. F### THE NATIONAL MEDIA.